You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland Squad/Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 66>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:34pm
Robbie Keane has to start this one I think. This will be like an English Championship game. He will score
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

lionelhutz View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionelhutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:13pm
Yes I'd agree that Keane should start up front for this one. I don't understand MON's thinking behind playing him against Germany but Ireland will have more possession and control in this game, therefore Keane should get one or two chances and he's still our best finisher by far. 

Against Germany, it made no sense starting Keane. It was always going to be a backs to the wall job where we needed an outlet up front. Long would have been ideal in this scenario - good in the air and lots of pace. But against Scotland, Keane all the way with Hoolahan in behind and Mcgeady/McLean out wide. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by lionelhutz lionelhutz wrote:

How come no-one is advocating Joey O'Brien for left full? I know he had to pull out this time through injury and has had awful trouble staying fit, but if he was fully fit come the Scotland game he's surely a much better option than Ward. 

Yes Ward did well against Germany but his distribution was still dire and he always looks on the verge of making a mistake. He's had so many stinkers for Ireland that we have to find a suitable replacement asap. 

Maybe because he pulls out of every single squad he's named in.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
lionelhutz View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionelhutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:32pm
I think that's a bit harsh. The man has been very unlucky with injuries. Are you implying he pulls out of the squad cause he's just not bothered? 

After watching him several times in the last couple of seasons, he's much more assured at left full than Ward.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:17pm
Pre-match Party at The world famous Barrowland Ballroom.

Live entertainment from the Tartan Specials and Ted Christopher and singalong DJ sets from lil ole me.

Entertainment starts from mid-day and will finish at 7pm

Tickets available from Ticket Scotland.................

---------------------

Can't believe Christy Moore didn't make the lineup he wrote a song about the place!Shocked

GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:52pm
I'd go for

Forde

Coleman O'Shea Delaney Wilson

McCarthy Gibson/Hendrick

McGeady.               Brady

Hoolahan

Keane

BradyBaby View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradyBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:57pm
Do you think o'niel will start Hoolahon away from home , I have my doubts.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:49pm
O Brien has been out since the Georgia game with injury. Hopefully its not too serious and he can come play left back against Scotland.
winner alright View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winner alright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 8:05pm
                                                                 Forde

Coleman              O;Shea              Delaney               Wilson

McCarthy                              Gibson

McGeady                                McClean

Hoolahan

Keane
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:51pm
Grealish just committed to the cause...wonder if he'll make the squad for Scotland.
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

I'd go for

Forde

Coleman O'Shea Delaney Wilson

McCarthy Gibson/Hendrick

McGeady.               Brady

Hoolahan

Keane

I like this except McClean for Brady
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Grealish just committed to the cause...wonder if he'll make the squad for Scotland.

Wouldn't think so but he will feature in the friendly against USA. England are still trying to lure him though.
1320Lichtie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1320Lichtie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:15pm
CANNOT wait for this. I haven't watched much of ROI and don't know how much you boys have seen of us but I'm feeling pretty good about this. Against Germany we created so much and should've done what you guys did and take a draw just two sh*tey goals to lose to Muller. Georgia sat back and made us come at them but on another day Naismith would of had a hat trick and them against Poland I thought that maybe I had gotten my hopes up after their early goal but again I came away disappointed Hutton gifted them 2 goals (unlike him for us tbf I'll let him off) we play some really good stuff to which makes it even better.

Against you guys and at home I would want us to go;

Marshall

Hutton/Bardsley
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

Brown
Morrison

Maloney
Naismith
Anya

Fletcher

Bit gutted that we won't have Snodgrass again to be honest he's always good for us. Ps the Tartan Army will have Parkhead BOUNCING for this. Cannot wait.
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 1320Lichtie 1320Lichtie wrote:

CANNOT wait for this. I haven't watched much of ROI and don't know how much you boys have seen of us but I'm feeling pretty good about this. Against Germany we created so much and should've done what you guys did and take a draw just two sh*tey goals to lose to Muller. Georgia sat back and made us come at them but on another day Naismith would of had a hat trick and them against Poland I thought that maybe I had gotten my hopes up after their early goal but again I came away disappointed Hutton gifted them 2 goals (unlike him for us tbf I'll let him off) we play some really good stuff to which makes it even better.

Marshall

Hutton/Bardsley
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

Brown
Morrison

Maloney
Naismith
Anya

Fletcher

Bit gutted that we won't have Snodgrass again to be honest he's always good for us. Ps the Tartan Army will have Parkhead BOUNCING for this. Cannot wait.

Should be great. Two evenly matched teams though in terms of quality I think we have the slight edge. I don't think you have one player the class of Coleman or McCarthy. Atmosphere should be out of this world. Counting down the days
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
1320Lichtie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1320Lichtie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by sledgehammer sledgehammer wrote:

Marshall

Hutton/Bardsley
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

Brown
Morrison

Maloney
Naismith
Anya

Fletcher

Should be great. Two evenly matched teams though in terms of quality I think we have the slight edge. I don't think you have one player the class of Coleman or McCarthy. Atmosphere should be out of this world. Counting down the days

Colemans class, A Robbo will be the same as him in a year or two no way the guy will still be at Hull, and tbh I wouldn't put McCarthy in my Scotland team over Morrison/Broonie...
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:49pm
You can't put McCarthy in there. He is Irish.

I am sure you will pick out strengths and weaknesses on our team but we have to get at Hanley and Martin. Especially Hanley who always looks uncomfortable. The midfield battle will be interesting, as will Anya on Coleman.
I really worry about Maloney, I love the wee guy. Always capable of something, hopefully not next month.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm
Anya is your danger man - I'm sure Brown will welcome McCarthy if selected to Paradise.

sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by sledgehammer sledgehammer wrote:

Marshall

Hutton/Bardsley
Martin
Hanley
Robertson

Brown
Morrison

Maloney
Naismith
Anya

Fletcher

Colemans class, A Robbo will be the same as him in a year or two no way the guy will still be at Hull, and tbh I wouldn't put McCarthy in my Scotland team over Morrison/Broonie...

McCarthy is the real deal as a defensive midfielder classes above Brown and Morrison who are good players in their own right. Your kidding yourself to think different all you have to do is check out his passing and tackling stats from last year.

What do you think of this in terms of player quality

Forde < Marshall

Coleman > Hutton/Bardsley

O Shea > Hanley

Wilson = Martin

Ward <   Robertson

McGeady > Anya

Whelan = Morrison

McCarthy > Brown

McClean < Maloney

Hoolahan/Quinn/Hendrick < Naismith

Keane = Fletcher