You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland Away 24th Sep 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 57585960>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:05pm
These are the places to be! 

Full of characters, last time we played Scotland, we were in a bar in Gallowgate and I was playing pool against some old man in his 60's. Rough as f**k looking, and he appeared to have been hit in the face with a hatched or meat clever.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:19pm
Good trip - great session in the Baby Grand the day of the game. Away end was heaving, absolutely cracking atmosphere in there. Definitely been an improvement in the noise post-covid - Luxembourg and Lodz were decent as well.

Touts Out!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:20pm
Anyone venture to he bar next to Malones, Howling Wolf? We left the colours at home Friday and went in there for food, lovely grub, lots of tasty beers and live music. 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone venture to he bar next to Malones, Howling Wolf? We left the colours at home Friday and went in there for food, lovely grub, lots of tasty beers and live music. 

Few of us ended up in here after the match after refusing to stand in a que for malones was a decent spot Smile
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

These are the places to be! 

Full of characters, last time we played Scotland, we were in a bar in Gallowgate and I was playing pool against some old man in his 60's. Rough as f**k looking, and he appeared to have been hit in the face with a hatched or meat clever.

LOL

Rough boozers Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Garngad View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garngad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Neilly71 Neilly71 wrote:

There have always been Celtic fans who have supported Ireland over Scotland, getting less so nowadays Id say, folk like myself would always have a soft spot for Ireland but in terms of them playing Scotland would never support Ireland over Scotland. Rangers fans never ever used to support england but it started creeping in about 15 to 20 years ago when you'd see some of the stauncher of them walking around in England tops, think they liked the shock value of it and that some of them detest the Tartan Army because their values dont match. Its a complicated situation. i know a fair few Rangers fans and none of them support England but then the guys i know that support Rangers are pro Independence and generally dont even go to Ibrox because theyre not into the union jack waving stuff that goes on. Its probably gotten a wee bit worse since the re-incarnation of Rangers, their PR boss David Graham is a staunch loyal citizen from the 6 counties and Rangers in more recent times have been playing to their lowest common denominator.

Rangers support started to drift away from Scotland late 80s early 90s, when souness brought the english internationals up here due to the english european ban this then coincided somewhat with Celtic players no longer being booed at Hampden, which maybe made it a more welcoming place for anyone of Irish descent who wished to support Scotland, Ive been to 4 Ireland games in Glasgow against scotland and this will always bring out the worst in sections of the TA, Mel Gibson then made Braveheart in 95 and produced a new generation of patriotic scottish fans. LOL
Swanny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 4:49pm
Sorry didn’t catch ip for a pint bud, your nephew first game must of been a bit confusing 😂😂😂😂
kessler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 5:38pm
I thought the atmosphere was very good and friendly throughout the trip, definitely better than 2014. Even in terms of the police, they seemed a lot more on guard in 2014 whereas Saturday was more jovial. Maybe as the home section was more mixed in 2014.

Had pints with some Scottish guys on Thursday who were lovely. Walked back from Hampden mixed with plenty and ended up in the Scotia Bar just over the bridge. Place was great and rammed with Scots, most of whom were off to Poland on Sunday. Good laugh all round, bar the result obviously which was very hard to take after such a good first half but they softened the blow afterwards and were very . Their main complaint was we didn't join in as much as they wanted with anti English songs during the match! 
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

yep I went in there for food on Saturday afternoon. Grand spot, and no issues with colours at all
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Robsham1 Robsham1 wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Left The Tolbooth early on Saturday and ventured towards the Barras Market area.
Said we'd go to the the next sh*t hole pub we saw and it did not disappoint. Place called Braemar Bar.

No one else in there, no music or tv. Talking to the barman who must have been a recovering drug addict. Said the pub was home of the Johnny Cash Celtic Supporters Club.

MacKinnons where they let us bring in food from across the road and some characters in there.
On the way back after the match we went to the Star Bar. Place that looked stuck in the 70's. Carpets, wooden paneling and auld wans doing karaoke. Shame it closed at 12.
Not the kind of places you'd want to be going all the time or to bring a date, but perfect for an away trip.

we walked by the Star Bar on the way back ourselves and regretted not going in, Looked like a place that had a few stories to tell!!
Highlight of the trip for me!
trainee View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trainee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 8:02am
Anyone who was on the delayed Edinburgh flight to Dublin don't forget to claim for compensation.

I filled it out during week & just got email to say my expenses & compensation were approved. Payment will be in my account within 10 working days.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:03am
Originally posted by trainee trainee wrote:

Anyone who was on the delayed Edinburgh flight to Dublin don't forget to claim for compensation.

I filled it out during week & just got email to say my expenses & compensation were approved. Payment will be in my account within 10 working days.

Yep - Got the same email this morning - Won't believe it until it appears in my account though Wink
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:09am
How much compensation are ye getting? €
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:18pm

Was that the one that was meant to leave at 12.35pm - and had the boarding gate changed twice in as many minutes? I was on that one so thanks for this. Thumbs Up

Ryanair sent me an email the next day apologising for the delay and asking me to complete a survey. No word of any compensation though. Unhappy

Edit: just tried it but it says the flight was not disrupted - which is absolute BS! It was an hour late leaving the boarding gate and didn't actually take off for at least another 20 minutes after that. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 01 Oct 2022 at 1:25pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Was that the one that was meant to leave at 12.35pm - and had the boarding gate changed twice in as many minutes? I was on that one so thanks for this. Thumbs Up

Ryanair sent me an email the next day apologising for the delay and asking me to complete a survey. No word of any compensation though. Unhappy

Edit: just tried it but it says the flight was not disrupted - which is absolute BS! It was an hour late leaving the boarding gate and didn't actually take off for at least another 20 minutes after that. 

Needs to be 2 or 3 hours late arriving for compensation. The flight the lads are talking about was 805am and left about 630pm.

Edited by VanBosch - 01 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:52pm

It was the 8am flight afaik. Needs to be delayed three hours for compo. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm

Not enough of a delay there for compensation.

There was an Edinburgh to Dublin flight that was supposed to go at around 7am or so that didn't leave until around 6pm. That'll be delayed one for compensation 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:56pm
Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying lads. Thumbs Up
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 57585960>
  Share Topic