Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scathing John Delaney article in French mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:23pm
Uno Duce Uno Voce
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:45pm
It's actually ridiculous that you can not have a discussion about John Delaney without it having to be retracted or be threaten with legal action . You can't get away with anything ie a banner in the Aviva .
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:06pm
Is anything on it "NEWS" ?
or just a rehash of more crap.

Ybigers have written worse.
Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

It's an opinion piece based on factual information so obviously there is nothing new in there and how is it "more crap"..... Confused

What makes it news is that the international press are latching on to stories about the FAI's CEO. The British press were on to him after Joe McDonnell gate also. So it's not the 1st time.

What more makes it news is that something underhand appears to have lead to balls.ie having to pull it from their website. A State funded organisation should not be spending money on legal teams protecting an individual's public image when as you say anything in the article appears to have been out in the open already so therefore defamation doesn't really come into it. Of course, balls.ie may have just taken it down as they weren't attracting enough hits - this is more likely the case I suppose..

I am sure some newspaper will follow up on this - most likely the Times as they seem to be the only paper with a legal team that are willing to take him on.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:31pm
The internet police check every football forum plus social sites.

Edited by gufct - 24 Jul 2016 at 1:33pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Darrener Darrener wrote:

It's an opinion piece based on factual information so obviously there is nothing new in there and how is it "more crap"..... Confused

What makes it news is that the international press are latching on to stories about the FAI's CEO. The British press were on to him after Joe McDonnell gate also. So it's not the 1st time.

What more makes it news is that something underhand appears to have lead to balls.ie having to pull it from their website. A State funded organisation should not be spending money on legal teams protecting an individual's public image when as you say anything in the article appears to have been out in the open already so therefore defamation doesn't really come into it. Of course, balls.ie may have just taken it down as they weren't attracting enough hits - this is more likely the case I suppose..

I am sure some newspaper will follow up on this - most likely the Times as they seem to be the only paper with a legal team that are willing to take him on.

Calling an opinion piece in a website that most people have never heard "International Media" is a bit of a stretch.
Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:51pm

Calling an opinion piece in a website that most people have never heard "International Media" is a bit of a stretch.
A magazine that has a million followers on facebook..... I would bet most French football fans are well aware of it Embarrassed
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:59pm

A magazine that has a million followers on facebook..... I would bet most French football fans are well aware of it Embarrassed

A million people (If that) ticked a box at one time, all of a sudden people believe a website talks for those 1 million when reality is that if 3% actually read any of it then that is a success.

Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:06pm

A million people (If that) ticked a box at one time, all of a sudden people believe a website talks for those 1 million when reality is that if 3% actually read any of it then that is a success.

I fail to understand the point you are making? Are you saying that it is not a good barmoeter for how popular a publication/website is?

To put it in context;

Guardian football has 1.1M followers - probably the most popular football publication in Britain

L'equipe has 2.6m - obviously much smaller than Lequipe as its a sports publication not just a football one.

Edited by Darrener - 24 Jul 2016 at 2:07pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:25pm

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Read in French on translate, not sure that anything included is not on the public record?

Its crazy that not one paper covered it yet and the only 'news' outlet that did had to pull it.

The last time I recall a John delaney piece being pulled from balls was when a senior FAI employee called up balls.ie in November 2014 and told them the man in a video they published singing Joe McDonnell was not John Delaney... That just slightly backfired. Give this time

No newspaper will pick up on it here and for good reason.
Those who say they should are living in fantasy world.
It's an opinion piece and France have different libel laws to Ireland.
People who think you can simply republish someone else's opinion are living on another planet.
Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Read in French on translate, not sure that anything included is not on the public record?

Its crazy that not one paper covered it yet and the only 'news' outlet that did had to pull it.

The last time I recall a John delaney piece being pulled from balls was when a senior FAI employee called up balls.ie in November 2014 and told them the man in a video they published singing Joe McDonnell was not John Delaney... That just slightly backfired. Give this time

No newspaper will pick up on it here and for good reason.
Those who say they should are living in fantasy world.
It's an opinion piece and France have different libel laws to Ireland.
People who think you can simply republish someone else's opinion are living on another planet.

Maybe so. But it does seem that the only paper that has a legal team willing to take him on is the Times. The other papers seem to run a mile from breaking any story about him. A happy coincidence maybe that his buddy is involved in a lot of the other mainstream media outlets in this country.

If it wasn't for the Times, there'd have been a lot less written on the FAI/John himself in the last two years.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 10:55pm
FAO Emmet Malone Thumbs Up
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:48am
Fair play for the YBIG Facebook account posting it.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 12:43pm

I fail to understand the point you are making? Are you saying that it is not a good barmoeter for how popular a publication/website is?

To put it in context;
Guardian football has 1.1M followers - probably the most popular football publication in Britain
L'equipe has 2.6m - obviously much smaller than Lequipe as its a sports publication not just a football one.

Have you a facebook account ?
Do you read every link to every story that is posted on it ?
Do they change or inform you in the slightest or it just another piece of communication that on majority of occasions you will ignore.

Hell Michael Jackson still has 20 million plus facebook followers and he has not produced any decent music in ages.......LOL
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 12:52pm
Why bother getting it removed if such a small percentage of people will read it Oscar ?
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

It's actually ridiculous that you can not have a discussion about John Delaney without it having to be retracted or be threaten with legal action . You can't get away with anything ie a banner in the Aviva .
His best mate is King of the Suers.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Why bother getting it removed if such a small percentage of people will read it Oscar ?

Its like the old "everybody assumes the boss wanted it done so it was done", boss never cared but all the underlings did.

I saw nothing there that have not read previously but all of a sudden because Irish media don't post it verbatim they are censoring it rather they reading it and saying "Er that is not news".

If someone's opinion on a website was news we would all be forever in the news.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 6:33pm
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36877406

Just leaving this here....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic