FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalzburg confirm Trapattoni's departure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salzburg confirm Trapattoni's departure
    Posted: 13 Feb 2008 at 7:26am
 Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg have confirmed that Giovanni Trapattoni will leave them at the end of the season to become Republic of Ireland manager.

The Italian is set to be announced at a conference at the FAI Headquarters in Abbotstown this evening.

The former Juventus, Bayern Munich and Benfica boss has confirmed to RTÉ News that he was approached by the FAI ten days ago.

They only approached him ten days ago - what the feck have they been doing for the other 3 months?

And he has also revealed that the less time-consuming nature of international management tempted him to accept their offer.

'I'm interested in the Irish job because it will give me more time with my family,' he said.

I hope that's not his main motivation ffs?

'Yesterday my solicitor came to an agreement with the FAI, so I have accepted.'

Trapattoni is confident that he can help Salzburg retain the Austrian Bundesliga title that they won convincingly last season.

It has also emerged that the former Italian national coach consulted Liam Brady, who is expected to be included in Trappatoni's backroom team, about the position.

"When the national team asked me I called and asked Liam 'what do you think?'"

"He said 'I think it's a good team'."

Trapattoni said that he asked Brady to work with him.

He added that it is too early to say whether or not he would be in place for the Republic's friendly clash with Serbia on 24 May, saying it was at his present employers' discretion.

�The seeds of doubt that were sown at the weekend against Egypt have been doused by a dose of Jack Charlton's almighty weedkiller.�

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic