Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [10.65%]
151 [89.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Being relegated to DIV 3 of the Nations League may have an unlikely silver lining in that it could present us with an easier opportunity to qualify for the 2022 WC via the back door.
Staying in DIV 2 of the NL will make it more difficult especially with 4 teams from DIV 1 coming down, conceivably England, Italy and Netherlands being 3 of them.
So with that in mind, I think it is preferable to keep O Neill in charge until the end of the NL to ensure relegation. A new manager should then be installed for the EURO qualifiers. I accept relegation from DIV 2 to DIV 3 has an influence on our seeding, but in our case does being a 2nd seed or a third seed  really matter a whole lot with 2 teams to qualify from each group.

Agree with this.
Sponsored Links

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Being relegated to DIV 3 of the Nations League may have an unlikely silver lining in that it could present us with an easier opportunity to qualify for the 2022 WC via the back door.
Staying in DIV 2 of the NL will make it more difficult especially with 4 teams from DIV 1 coming down, conceivably England, Italy and Netherlands being 3 of them.
So with that in mind, I think it is preferable to keep O Neill in charge until the end of the NL to ensure relegation. A new manager should then be installed for the EURO qualifiers. I accept relegation from DIV 2 to DIV 3 has an influence on our seeding, but in our case does being a 2nd seed or a third seed  really matter a whole lot with 2 teams to qualify from each group.

Agree with this.

But remember also that DIV 3 could also pair us with a promoted Georgia (who we struggled against under O'Neill), Belarus (who Beat us under O'Neill) or Macedonia (who still make me shiver)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:04pm
Plus we will be playing teams around or below our level. Look at the surge of optimism the Scots seemed to get from beating an awful Albania!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Agree with this.

But remember also that DIV 3 could also pair us with a promoted Georgia (who we struggled against under O'Neill), Belarus (who Beat us under O'Neill) or Macedonia (who still make me shiver)

3 good away trips though

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Agree with this.

3 good away trips though

True dat!!! Had a smashing time in Tblisi last time out...game aside Smile
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:06pm
You can't throw the Belarus game at him, the most meaningless of all the meaningless friendlies.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You can't throw the Belarus game at him, the most meaningless of all the meaningless friendlies.

This is true...still lost though. But I was mainly pointing out that relegation may not be the cake walk that it would appear to be

Edited by DangerHere - 14 Sep 2018 at 2:08pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:09pm
And we played Uruguay off the pitch, neither of them matter a jot or can be deemed in anyway relevant.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And we played Uruguay off the pitch, neither of them matter a jot or can be deemed in anyway relevant.

Actually wasn't even meant as a dig at O'Neill...we never played Macedonia under him. I mention Georgia and Belarus as we played them relatively recently...whether the game was important or not does not change the fact that it happened. I would not be fearful of facing Belarus again...Macedonia and Georgia though...
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:15pm
There's no way a division 3 or 4 team will get a World Cup spot through the Nations League. They'll use a different format for the World Cup. It's ok in the Euro's as there's 24 qualifying spots. UEFA won't risk a League A team not qualifying for Luxembourg or Georgia to qualify.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:16pm
I agree, both are teams that have improved and are technically very good.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

This will ultimately come down to the 2 home games in October, and probably the performances nearly as much as the results* (*unless those results are similar to the last 2 games V Wales & Denmark, in which case the clamour to get rid will go up several levels & his position will be more or less untenable) 

if we were to play reasonably well and come out of those games with draws or even narrow defeats, MON will likely be staying on, that's probably the reality of it. I'd like him to go, but the ambition of narrow defeats or draws in those games is also probably reflective of where we are at the minute whether we like it or not. 

Hidings like the ones we received in the last 2 games are a different kettle of fish though, and generally, the home crowd is more fickle than the away crowd, it won't take a lot for them to show mass displeasure, that's the stage where JD/FAI start getting nervous & thinking they have to act.  I wouldn't underestimate MON's ability to grind out a couple of draws though, he's a conservative manager at heart and will likely approach those games with a 'must not lose' mentality rather than a 'must win' one, even though he will publicly say otherwise. 

If the FAI were to apply some logical thinking to the Nations League (hey, no s*****ring at the back there) then finishing third in the group, against two teams that wouldn't be a 1st and 2nd seed in the Euro Qualifiers, then the conclusion is that the team or the management aren't good enough to get us into 2nd in the Euro qualifiers. Remember there is no 3rd place going into a play off like there was for Euro 2016.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

There's no way a division 3 or 4 team will get a World Cup spot through the Nations League. They'll use a different format for the World Cup. It's ok in the Euro's as there's 24 qualifying spots. UEFA won't risk a League A team not qualifying for Luxembourg or Georgia to qualify.

Agree. There isn’t a chance in hell that FIFA / UEFA will allow a 3rd / 4th seed outfit qualify in this manner. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Agree. There isn’t a chance in hell that FIFA / UEFA will allow a 3rd / 4th seed outfit qualify in this manner. 

13 Qualifiers for EUFA - 10 Group Winners, 2 from the NL and 1 other, i'm guessing based on a play-off competition between the best 8 group runners-up. More games = more money.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

13 Qualifiers for EUFA - 10 Group Winners, 2 from the NL and 1 other, i'm guessing based on a play-off competition between the best 8 group runners-up. More games = more money.

I’d say 2 from top 2 division of NL and perhaps the other spot will be contested by division 3 and 4. 

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:16pm
I don’t even care about qualification. I just want to start wining matches. Hopefully the former follows the latter, but dropping a League is no consolation as it brings us closer to qualification. Qualification is no consolation if it’s done through a series of draws. That kind of thing just benefits the FAI accountants, not the fans. Look what happened in 2012. 

Just win me some matches. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:57pm
If you win matches you'll most likely qualify!.

Qualifying is about being consistency. The North beat lots of higher ranked teams and failed to qualify.

Did somebody say that O'Neill has 4 wins from 18 now?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

If the FAI were to apply some logical thinking to the Nations League (hey, no s*****ring at the back there) then finishing third in the group, against two teams that wouldn't be a 1st and 2nd seed in the Euro Qualifiers, then the conclusion is that the team or the management aren't good enough to get us into 2nd in the Euro qualifiers. Remember there is no 3rd place going into a play off like there was for Euro 2016.

Denmark & Wales are on course to be a 2nd seed in the Euros tho Bob (neither can be a top seed, even though Denmark are now 9th in Fifa rankings and are unbeaten in 18 months) The top 10 seeds for the Euro draw are the 4 league A winners, 4 League A runners up, and the best 2 of the 4 relegated to League B teams that finish 3rd in League A. 

As things stand (early days, subject to change etc), that would be;
France
Switz
Portugal
Spain
Germany
Belgium
Poland
England
& 2 from Netherlands, Iceland, Italy & Croatia. 

While the Pot 2 teams would be;
the other 2 from Neth, Ice, Italy, Cro as above;
4 League B winners & runners up- as things stand;
Ukraine/Czech
Russia/Turkey
Bosnia/NI
Denmark/Wales. 

We would avoid some serious teams in the Euro draw if we could somehow scrape into 2nd in the group, though Poland & Iceland shouldn't scare anyone as 1st or 2nd seeds if we do end up in pot 3. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic