You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Manning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

motm yesterday a solid 9 star pts and a goal . You would wonder who covers the Swansea games for Ireland.

Brady and McClean are the left wing back options in the squad and they have done well previously. Manning has not. And has not necessarily produced 9/10 performances every week now, has he? 

Yeah Manning has been poor every chance hes been given in an Ireland shirt to date and I'm sure they've had a more than close enough look at him in training the numerous times hes been called up but didn't see game time.
What chances are those? A bunch of 5 minute cameos and one start against Lithuania? What kind of basis is that to be judging someone off? But yeah I agree with the point about training, always thought Kenny must not fancy him based off what he’s seen in training.
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

motm yesterday a solid 9 star pts and a goal . You would wonder who covers the Swansea games for Ireland.

Brady and McClean are the left wing back options in the squad and they have done well previously. Manning has not. And has not necessarily produced 9/10 performances every week now, has he? 

Yeah Manning has been poor every chance hes been given in an Ireland shirt to date and I'm sure they've had a more than close enough look at him in training the numerous times hes been called up but didn't see game time.
What chances are those? A bunch of 5 minute cameos and one start against Lithuania? What kind of basis is that to be judging someone off? But yeah I agree with the point about training, always thought Kenny must not fancy him based off what he’s seen in training.

His debut 2 years vs Bulgaria in the NL too. Enough of him to make up his mind on him anyway.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 10:22am
You should note Manning didn’t start the season in the Swansea team so tbh was no where near an Ireland call up. He struggles at the back defensively (patchy with a patchy Swansea team) and unfortunately his Irish form has been the same. He has no pace, can be rash in the tackle but has a decent left foot if given time on the ball. My honest opinion is he is not International level, I’d have the Cardiff lad ahead of him actually along with McL & Brady.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:50pm
he has played in all 10 league games the first one as a sub and has played close to 200 championship games !!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Phil Babb View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Babb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm
Is it not just a case that Manning really isn't very good? He's been overlooked by a number of managers at this stage.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 3:48pm
I don't think that's fair on Manning, his biggest problem isn't that "he isn't good" imo, it's that he's not really outstanding in any facet. He's an ok defender, has decent athleticism, and has pretty good technique - but you wouldn't say he stands miles out from the rest in any of those areas.
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:24pm
More chance of Bernard Manning getting a chance in a competitive game, and he's been dead for 15 years.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:54pm
another assist anyone watching?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

another assist anyone watching?

Seems to be in fine form, Brady not even playing LWB tonight and the young man utd loanee was Motm for Preston at LWB, so Brady may not play much there going forward. Ryan deserves another chance on form.
Idah Dream!
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 10:09pm
kennys decision to not start him in any meaningful games gets stranger by the game. less said about scales being picked over him in the last squad the better...
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

kennys decision to not start him in any meaningful games gets stranger by the game. less said about scales being picked over him in the last squad the better...

Not really because he couldn't do it in any non meaningful games for us when given the chance. Just cause hes doing well at club level doesn't mean it'll always translate into International, Hendrick and Hourihane for example are having stand out seasons and have had poor showings in a green jersey for a long while now.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:24pm

To be fair, he went with mc clean and Brady as his two lwbs and neither let him down. I do think Manning will just have to bide his time. Scales was picked as CB cover over Dunne.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:25pm

Not really because he couldn't do it in any non meaningful games for us when given the chance. Just cause hes doing well at club level doesn't mean it'll always translate into International, Hendrick and Hourihane for example are having stand out seasons and have had poor showings in a green jersey for a long while now.
That's just not true re hendrick at least!
Idah Dream!
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Ah John, Hendrick can't play in a midfield three unless against very weak opposition. If we had a different formation he might do better. 

In fairness to Kenny, Manning has been in a number of squads so he has had plenty of time to look at him. Equally in fairness to Manning, he has reacted the right way. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 12:24am

Which? That he hasn't been up to it for us or having a stand out season for Reading?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:00am

Which? That he hasn't been up to it for us or having a stand out season for Reading?

He's having a decent season for Reading and he has started in the last year for Ireland, 3-0 away wins vs both Lux and Aze, a 0-0 home draw vs Portugal and a 2-2 draw with Belgium. Yes he lost his starting spot after 2 below par team performances away to Armenia (both Cullen and Knight were hooked in that game, Hendrick wasnt) and home to Ukraine. He then played the last quarter of the 1-1 draw away to Ukraine and the 3-2 win at home to Armenia (where he was unfairly singled out by Brady after the game for the first goal, when there were at least 3 or 4 others equally or more culpable for that goal) - he was probably the best of our 3 midfielders in that game, Knight was poor and Molumby should have seen red after 50 odd minutes. 

I just dont think its fair to say that he has been poor in an Ireland shirt for a long while now. I think its entirely fair to say that about Hourihane btw, but this lumping Hendrick in along with Hourihane is just lazy imho. Jeff is a popular scapegoat, but he rarely lets Ireland down and still has plenty to offer Ireland going forward. I watched the Preston WBA game last night and both Molumby (hooked on 57 mins) and Browne (at RWB tbf, hooked on 62 mins)) were absolutely terrible.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Ah John, Hendrick can't play in a midfield three unless against very weak opposition. If we had a different formation he might do better. 

In fairness to Kenny, Manning has been in a number of squads so he has had plenty of time to look at him. Equally in fairness to Manning, he has reacted the right way. 

Look, I dont think Hendrick is brilliant by any means, but people seem happy with Cullen, Molumby and Knight as our indisputable midfield 3 and I have serious concerns in that regard. While I think it's fine to set up like that in games where we expect to be on the back foot, I think its far from ideal in games where we are expected to be on the front foot - Cullen is a 6 and a good one, I have no concerns there, but Molumby is a very limited 8 (with the ball) and Knight is playing L1 football which is far from ideal.

I'd also worry about Molumby keeping his spot in the WBA team with Bruce likely to get the sack any minute now and Molumbys performances this season have been poor (Whoscored rating of 6.29 after 10 odd games). I have said several times, we need to see Smallbone in there sooner rather than later (in Knights role). I still think Hendrick has a place in the squad for sure and isnt far off the team at all. Like everybody else, I think we should dispense with Hourihane - I have been banging that drum for over a year now. Lads lumping Hendrick in with Hourihane annoy me greatly!
Idah Dream!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:06pm
Ryan rightly getting praised by Swansea fans as he is playing his best football at the moment .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
  Share Topic