You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

this lad wont play for us. simple as 

I agree, but not for defection reasons. 

I also think he won't be playing for Bayern this time 2 years. 

There’s a high probability that he won’t become a regular first team player at Bayern. They are one of the worlds biggest clubs who could drop €70m on someone in his position without batting an eyelid. 

If he continues his current progression then he has a great chance to become a first team regular somewhere decent though. He will certainly be in consideration to play for us at that point unless we have a serious uplift in fortunes by then. 

He has a long way to go but is doing great so far 

El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:57am

Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

he cant switch back, already ours

no doubt there will be some loophole. this is the f**king FAI we are talking about 
Hopefully there is such a loophole as then we can get Grealish back Embarrassed
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

this lad wont play for us. simple as 

I agree, but not for defection reasons. 

I also think he won't be playing for Bayern this time 2 years. 

There’s a high probability that he won’t become a regular first team player at Bayern. They are one of the worlds biggest clubs who could drop €70m on someone in his position without batting an eyelid. 

If he continues his current progression then he has a great chance to become a first team regular somewhere decent though. He will certainly be in consideration to play for us at that point unless we have a serious uplift in fortunes by then. 

He has a long way to go but is doing great so far 

f**k off with your positivity.
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:43pm
Just read this mini write up on the Twitter of an Italian sports journalist: Frankly surprised by the Irishman Ryan Johansson's game against Arsenal this past morning with Bayern . Inside a lot of travel, good movements without the ball, ability to retain the ball, always offering, with arrival. 18 years old but mature in his game.

Sounds encouraging!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Who was that Dutch Irish lad. The fella Trap had to play footsie with a few years back to get him onboard.

Frank Drebin.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:34pm
Call him up to the squad for the Swiss game 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Why?
Leave Kenny call him up for the u21's

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 19 Jul 2019 at 3:45pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Why?
Leave Kenny call him up for the u21's

If he’s a regular in the Bayern first team next season, big if, he’s well worthy of his place starting for us. Inexperienced sure but we’re creating a bigger problem here in that we could have a load of good youngsters with no competitive experience or have integrated with the squad even before next summers euros. There’ll be calls to include them all if they’re playing well. Can’t justify experienced players if they ain’t starting for their clubs or playing well 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
The Nations League in Sept 2020 is the time to bed in a raft of new young players.  Semi-friendly type games, but competitive as far as caps are concerned.  

Would be nice to see Johansson involved then if his form in between justifies it.  I'm sure Kenny will have a long list of lads he is considering at that point including Connolly, Ronan, Mulumby, Idah, Parrott, Coventry, Connell, Collins, O'Shea, Masterson, even Joe Hodge at his rate of development. Get the squad recycled, refreshed and bedded in in the Nations League and then switch on big-time for WC qualification campaign after those games.  

Wales did that in their last Nations League campaign - I think 6 players made their competitive debuts in the 4-0 p1ss-take of us in Cardiff, with 5 of those being under the age of 21.  McCarthy did something similar in 96-98 when he came in after Jack, giving a whole load of unknown young players caps - some made it (Harte, Kilbane, Connolly, later Keane and Duff), some didn't (David Savage, Alan Moore, Keith O'Neill, v unfortunate with injury), but he set the team up for the next few campaigns. 

Kenny's involvement in the underage structure gives him the ideal opportunity - and so far he seems to have the ideal outlook - to do just that.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 19 Jul 2019 at 5:48pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
Anyone interested in watching Johansson's 45 minutes against Arsenal can see it here:

eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

The Nations League in Sept 2020 is the time to bed in a raft of new young players.  Semi-friendly type games, but competitive as far as caps are concerned.  

Would be nice to see Johansson involved then if his form in between justifies it.  I'm sure Kenny will have a long list of lads he is considering at that point including Connolly, Ronan, Mulumby, Idah, Parrott, Coventry, Connell, Collins, O'Shea, Masterson, even Joe Hodge at his rate of development. Get the squad recycled, refreshed and bedded in in the Nations League and then switch on big-time for WC qualification campaign after those games.  

Wales did that in their last Nations League campaign - I think 6 players made their competitive debuts in the 4-0 p1ss-take of us in Cardiff, with 5 of those being under the age of 21.  McCarthy did something similar in 96-98 when he came in after Jack, giving a whole load of unknown young players caps - some made it (Harte, Kilbane, Connolly, later Keane and Duff), some didn't (David Savage, Alan Moore, Keith O'Neill, v unfortunate with injury), but he set the team up for the next few campaigns. 

Kenny's involvement in the underage structure gives him the ideal opportunity - and so far he seems to have the ideal outlook - to do just that.

Kenny’s squad will be interesting but could we actually pick a 36 yo Glenn Whelan over a player in the Bayern team for the euros
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Kenny’s squad will be interesting but could we actually pick a 36 yo Glenn Whelan over a player in the Bayern team for the euros
If he gets in to the Bayern side he will be the first name on the team sheet. I wouldn’t be holding my breath though!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:12pm

Sweet f**king Jesus  LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:17pm

That's why I think it's great that Kenny isn't taking over the senior team until next September. It now gives him over 12 months experience working with the younger players that he'll hopefully blood into the team at next year's Nation's League.

And don't think the next Nation's League will give us a backdoor entrance to the World Cup, the talk is that two teams based on their Nation's League performance could join the ten runners up in qualification to determine the final three teams that qualify. Might as well just use it to give younger players experience in the squad and don't get yourself promoted so you'll remain in the easier league for the 2022 Nation's League which teams for league C and D can qualify through the play offs.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Sweet f**king Jesus  LOL

It gets scarier by the hour on here
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:39am
I obviously missed that major change in football where everyone who plays in a pre season game for a big club automatically becomes a first team regular a month later. Anyway, main thing is that nobody is getting ahead of themselves, and on that note, I'm looking forward to seeing how Johansson does in the 2020 CL semi final V Juventus, that Ronaldo is a tricky customer. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:57am
Just watched his performance in the Arsenal game. 

To be clear, the reason Johansson started wasn't because he's on the verge of a senior team break-through.  

Rather, he (and other u19 players) were involved is because the German Reserves League is starting on Saturday, so those players stayed behind; and a number of other senior players have been at international tournaments or rested.  Nonetheless this is fantastic experience and exposure for him. 

In this match, Johansson was one of four u19 players to start.  He played in an advanced midfield role, which surprised me as he has played more as a defensive mid, or even right back before.  Difficult enough, as Arsenal were near full-strength and space was congested. 

He's certainly grown a lot in the last year since I last saw him in a youth champions league group game against AEK Athens. 

He's a very rangy and mobile player, with a lovely first touch and looks to make quick short accurate passes.  He has a languid style, very different to the usual hustle and bustle of most Irish players. Made a few mistakes in mish*t shots early on, but I'd put that down to nerves.  

Could be more aggressive in his tackling and tracking - generally sat well on Xhaka and kept him out of the game, but did let his man go on more than one occasion when play got more dynamic; and dawdled on the ball a few times early on- understandable as he won't have played at this kind of level before.  Had one delicious dink-through-ball that Iniesta would be proud of, but the finish from the team-mate wasn't there. 

On this viewing, he didn't look out of place, and I imagine Kovac will pick him again in pre-season.  I would say he's ready for senior football, not at Bayern (where there won't be room in the squad anyway with players coming back from international tournaments) or even the Bundesliga, as I don't think he has enough bulk yet to be fully competitive at that level.  

However a loan move to a Bundesliga 2 team, or better still Holland (or even Spain), where a technical, but still physically undeveloped, player like him could really improve quickly.  He's certainly an improvement on most of the U19 players on display for most countries in the on-going Euros (his current age-group).  

Really looking forward to see him line out for Kenny's U21s sooner rather than later. He could do very well with some of the high-level players on that team and the new ball-playing approach that now permeates every level of underage Irish football. 

He has some way to go, but is one of what seems to be an unusually wide series of prospects we have at the moment who have a good chance of a successful career with us.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I obviously missed that major change in football where everyone who plays in a pre season game for a big club automatically becomes a first team regular a month later. Anyway, main thing is that nobody is getting ahead of themselves, and on that note, I'm looking forward to seeing how Johansson does in the 2020 CL semi final V Juventus, that Ronaldo is a tricky customer. 

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 41>
  Share Topic