You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 160>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 2:12pm
There appears to be some sort of Russian collapse happening in the South, huge swathes of land in the north east of Kherson oblast has been liberated in the past 24 hours....and at the same time Ukraine continues to advance in Donetsk/Luhansk.

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Oct 2022 at 2:20pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 7:21pm
The collapse appears to be massive and hasn't stabilised yet. I know they haven't been able to resupply sufficiently after the Ukrainians hit the bridges but Putin sent his best troops in large numbers to this front. This won't bode well for morale.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 7:48am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The collapse appears to be massive and hasn't stabilised yet. I know they haven't been able to resupply sufficiently after the Ukrainians hit the bridges but Putin sent his best troops in large numbers to this front. This won't bode well for morale.

Let's hope nuclear weaponry isn't used

Edited by B6 6HE - 05 Oct 2022 at 8:20am
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:25am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

I thought you were up for the Rooskies?
Chips don't bounce
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:53am
a fella from dunboyne has been killed fighting with the foreign legion. it thinkhe is the second (?) irish person killed during the war. personally i know of one person over there. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:42am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

a fella from dunboyne has been killed fighting with the foreign legion. it thinkhe is the second (?) irish person killed during the war. personally i know of one person over there. 

Heard that on the radio this morning. Very sad. Be interesting to know how many foreign legion soldiers they have. 

Russia markets the war as if it's them vs the entire western world. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:50am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

I thought you were up for the Rooskies?

This isn't MOTD

The threat of nuclear war is scary
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Heard that on the radio this morning. Very sad. Be interesting to know how many foreign legion soldiers they have. 

its part of a larger attempt to galvanise the population in a bid to keep up support for the "war" ...which is working given polling indicates a large percentage of russians have no issue with their political and military overlords wreaking havoc in ukraine. mind you that may all change with conscription and the collapse of russian forces in the north east and south of ukraine. 

on that last point...the unstoppable momentum is with the ukrainians. military analysts are confident they can now see the ukrainian strategy which russia is powerless to stop i.e. destroy the russian forces in the kherson and luhansk regions (which is well underway) and then follow it up with a major offensive to strike for the black sea coast through the zaporizhzhia region in order to cut the remaining russian forces in ukraine in two thereby effectively ending the war...then its a matter of retaking isolated pockets and of course crimea in 2023.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:52am

its part of a larger attempt to galvanise the population in a bid to keep up support for the "war" ...which is working given polling indicates a large percentage of russians have no issue with their political and military overlords wreaking havoc in ukraine. mind you that may all change with conscription and the collapse of russian forces in the north east and south of ukraine. 

on that last point...the unstoppable momentum is with the ukrainians. military analysts are confident they can now see the ukrainian strategy which russia is powerless to stop i.e. destroy the russian forces in the kherson and luhansk regions (which is well underway) and then follow it up with a major offensive to strike for the black sea coast through the zaporizhzhia region in order to cut the remaining russian forces in ukraine in two thereby effectively ending the war...then its a matter of retaking isolated pockets and of course crimea in 2023.

Any attempt to take crimea will 1000% result in a nuclear response.

That is doomsday stuff. 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 12:23pm

That is doomsday stuff. 

You have to ask what are Putin's cards left to play ? 

1/ Carry on as is , and hope the winter will stop the advance .
2/ Cut a deal give up most of the land grab but keep hold of the Crimea .
3/ Go for Nukes to stop the fighting then blame the West . 
4/ He see's no way out and cuts and runs to some safe haven .

I think he will run #4 for me . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 12:26pm
It does seem that there are people who cannot understand that not everything is the West/US’ fault.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:11pm

That is doomsday stuff. 

You'd have to think that a Ukranian held Crimea would be target number 1 for a nuke
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 2:59pm
From what I have heard and read the likelihood of Putin using a nuke is slim because through diplomatic channels the Russians have been told that if it happens there will be retaliatory strikes from the west.

Both France and the UK as well as the US are well capable of hitting Russia so careful as you go.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

From what I have heard and read the likelihood of Putin using a nuke is slim because through diplomatic channels the Russians have been told that if it happens there will be retaliatory strikes from the west.

Both France and the UK as well as the US are well capable of hitting Russia so careful as you go.

Would they though?

A retaliation from the West would lead to a direct hit from.Russia on West.

It's an intriguing dilemma. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:20pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

That is doomsday stuff. 

5/ he's removed from power - may even get a bullet to the head. 

His removal from power is an almost certainty...when is another question but by Christmas the Russian army will be in tatters and the war as good as over - there'll be no hiding the catastrophe back home. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 05 Oct 2022 at 4:54pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 5:44pm
Winter could be cruel for the Russians. Ukraine making more progress the last month then I ever imagined. The thought of a cold winter will demoralise them even more after seeing their kharkiv and Kherson fronts collapse. Here's hoping the next week brings more liberations.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:27pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

5/ he's removed from power - may even get a bullet to the head. 

His removal from power is an almost certainty...when is another question but by Christmas the Russian army will be in tatters and the war as good as over - there'll be no hiding the catastrophe back home. 
[/QUOTE]

Let's hope your Ukraine war advances pan out Coleman, if it does Putin would probably be gone as well. Then if the next leader has to negotiate letting Russia have Crimea would be a good saving face for them and the war can end. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 160>
  Share Topic