You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 180>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 4:00pm
The absurdity of the war is summed up by that excuse - we are vacating Snake Island as a good will gesture to let you sell grain that you can't sell as it's blocked by us. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 4:03pm
Will this actually allow Ukraine to export grain?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 5:15pm
No. The blockade is maintained by warships and subs. 

The island is important strategically for russia as it would have given them more leverage in peace talks and increased the area of the seabed in that part of the black sea. Losing it is a sign they are unable to defend it against ukrainian artillery or rather the cost of defending it was far too high. Tb2 drones directed artillery fire on numerous occasions recently, destroying a landing ship, high speed patrol boats and a support vessel as well blitzing anything that moved on the island including helicopters and expensive surface to air defence systems. the sinking of the moskva and the air defence it provided was a major reason why russia struggled to hold the island. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 30 Jun 2022 at 5:17pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm
Russian launched a military recruiting campaign in transdniestria. 

Ukrainian has relocated a battalion from Kharkiv to support the Donbass. 

A Russian helicopter evacuating the remaining snake island soldier's was blown up. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 6:37pm
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 12:29am

right now i prefer the himars............watch to the end!

http://twitter.com/tinso_ww/status/1543727348171816960

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Jul 2022 at 12:31am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 12:45am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

interesting way to target Russians Thumbs Up

right now i prefer the himars............watch to the end!

russians celebrating the 4th of July. Its a joy to see. 
Let Christy Take It.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 12:33pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 7:39pm
the russians have announced an operational pause to their offensive. supposedly to gather themselves before recommencing battle in the donbas. 

the ukrainians on the otherhand have upped the targeting of russian supply dumps with himars. 11 hit in 9 days as of yesterday with a few more targeted in the past 24 hours. russian telegram channels are pleading with moscow do something about the himars which are inflicting huge losses both materially and in troop numbers - problem for the russians is that they are out of artillery range. the ukrainians now have 9 in total. Send them 20 more and this war will be over by the autumn.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 8:13pm

the russians have announced an operational pause to their offensive. supposedly to gather themselves before recommencing battle in the donbas. 

the ukrainians on the otherhand have upped the targeting of russian supply dumps with himars. 11 hit in 9 days as of yesterday with a few more targeted in the past 24 hours. russian telegram channels are pleading with moscow do something about the himars which are inflicting huge losses both materially and in troop numbers - problem for the russians is that they are out of artillery range. the ukrainians now have 9 in total. Send them 20 more and this war will be over by the autumn.

I read somewhere ( the BBC i think ) that Ukraine have lost 80% of it's frontline troops , now whatever way you look at it this can't go on 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
More Anne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote More Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I read somewhere ( the BBC i think ) that Ukraine have lost 80% of it's frontline troops , now whatever way you look at it this can't go on 
In one unit, not the whole army. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 7:33am
Originally posted by More Anne More Anne wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

In one unit, not the whole army. 

that would make sense otherwise we would have seen a full blown retreat by now.

interesting article below going into further detail about the himars targeting the ammo dumps - one dump targeted yesterday doubled as a tank storage facility, approx 25 tanks were destroyed along with the ammo. it does appear their effect has forced the russians into an "operational pause"

Edited by colemanY2K - 08 Jul 2022 at 7:56am
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 8:10am
Time isn't on Russia's side. The longer this goes on the harder it gets unless they can make a major breakthrough in the next couple of months. If come next march they're still at war Ukraine will have had a year to train a highly motivated force. They won't be running out of soldier's anytime soon so does Russia want a war that could last year's where they are pretty evenly matched. How many HIMARS would be in action by then?

The Brits, Americans and poles won't be slowing down their training of Ukraine soldier's on these weapons anytime soon and I feel like they'll be given more fighter jets when their new pilots have sufficient training. Apparently the US is training them so who's to say they're not getting training on F16's? 

The current MLRS situation blowing up ammo dumps means Russia will have to set up these depots much further back which will slow down the supply to the frontline.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:27am
senior ukrainian officials have been making noises in the past week which seem to be a bid to prepare the population for an imminent assault on the south. several senior officials have called on ukrainians in the occupied territories of kherson and zaporizhia to get out as soon as they can.

a times article claims the ukrainians have 1 million troops to call on...according to military experts the reality is they probably have closer to 400,000 combat troops ready to go with the others in reserve. the russians on the other hand are in a dire state, losing a huge chunk of their armed forces over the past five months, the troops morale is reportedly rock bottom...and could you blame them, nowhere is safe from the himars within ukraines borders. the ukrainians have been striking at will over the past two weeks, the fairly sophisticated russian air defence system is incapable of intercepting the himar missiles. imagine what that would do to morale knowing your enemy has a wonder weapon - what the nazis called a wunderwaffe... and the bad news is more are on the way including nine british m270 mlrs missile launchers which have twice the punch when compared to himars.

Article -

Ukraine is massing a million-strong fighting force equipped with western weapons to recover its southern territory from Russia, the nation’s defence minister has revealed to The Times. 

In his first interview with a British newspaper since the invasion began, Oleksii Reznikov said President Zelensky had ordered Ukraine’s military to retake occupied coastal areas which are vital to the country’s economy. “We understand that, politically, it’s very necessary for our country. The president has given the order to the supreme military chief to draw up plans. After that the general staff are doing their homework and say to achieve this goal we need XYZ,” he said. “This is my job. I’m writing letters to counterparts in partner countries, the generals talk about why we need this kind of weaponry and then we get the political decisions.” Ben Wallace, Britain’s defence secretary, was key to helping shift the approach from providing Soviet equipment to Nato standard 155mm artillery, guided multiple launch rocket systems and high-tech drones, he said. The intensity of the war is rapidly depleting Soviet-era stockpiles.

“It was a long process, a month and a half, but we got a result. Ukraine had a Soviet-era armed forces with thirty-year-old weapons. We changed this in three months.” The minister, 56, said he was satisfied with the support Ukraine was receiving from Nato partners but not the pace of deliveries. “We need more, quickly, to save the lives of our soldiers. Each day we’re waiting for howitzers, we can lose a hundred soldiers.” Western countries were only stepping up arms supplies now because Ukraine had proved it could fight, he said, having underestimated the determination to defend itself and over- estimated the strength of the Russian army at the start of the invasion. “I tried to explain that after eight years of hybrid war we have more than 400,000 veterans plus their relatives in different parts of the world,” Reznikov said. “Workers from Poland to Portugal decided to return to Ukraine to defend their country.” As the Russians advanced on the capital in February, his government distributed 21,000 Kalashnikov assault rifles to people signing up to the capital’s territorial defence in just two days. By the tenth day, 130,000 Ukrainians across the country had joined territorial defence forces.

“We’re people of the free world and with a real sense of justice and liberty. We have approximately 700,000 in the armed forces and when you add the national guard, police, border guard, we are around a million strong.” British soldiers are already training two battalions of Ukrainian soldiers in England as part of Boris Johnson’s pledge to train 10,000 troops every 120 days. Kyiv is not concerned the prime minister’s imminent departure could derail that commitment, the minister said. “We’ve looked into the eyes of our partners, I have a great relationship with Ben Wallace and James Heappey, our minister of foreign affairs Dymtro Kuleba is speaking with Liz Truss, I saw in London a lot of Ukrainian flags in all official buildings and unofficial buildings too.” The British efforts will help boost the Ukrainian army after heavy losses defending the Donbas region in the face of a massed Russian artillery onslaught, where President Zelensky said Ukraine was losing as many as 200 men a day. Ukraine’s recent withdrawals from two cities in the Luhansk region, Severodonetsk and Lysychansk, were tactical losses necessary to save lives rather than strategic defeats, he stressed. The democratic world had united to defeat Russia and this war would finally end its empire, he said.

“We are sure the anti-Kremlin coalition was born. Our partners in London and Washington DC and other capitals, they are invested in us, not only with money but the expectations of their people that we have to make the Kremlin lose. We have to win this war together,” Reznikov said. Even Putin’s old alliances with Hungary and Kazakhstan were splintering, he added, pointing to President Toqayev’s pledge to uphold sanctions on Russia and his refusal to recognise its territorial claims, sparking a trade war between the two largest former Soviet states that has culminated in Moscow shutting a key pipeline for Kazakh oil. “I’m sure that in the next few years we will see a procession of calls for sovereignty on Russian territory. The Russian Federation will finish its life as different countries — Tatarstan, Bashkortostan, etc.” A career lawyer, Reznikov came to politics driven by a strong sense of justice that continues to sustain him through the war. During the 2004 Orange Revolution he and his law firm partner Serhii Vlasenko volunteered to join the legal team of opposition candidate Viktor Yuschenko, as they sought to overturn the fraudulent presidential election of the pro-Kremlin Viktor Yanukovych. Yuschenko had been poisoned during his election campaign.

“When I heard the declaration that Yankouvych had won, I felt it was unfair, it was my personal challenge as a citizen to defend my right to vote and my right to have a real president after a fair and transparent calculation of the votes,” Reznikov recalled. “There was a big meeting in the office, there were probably 30 or 40 lawyers. Mykola Katerinchuk, the lead lawyer, asked everybody who is ready to show their face in court tomorrow? There was silence in the room. My eyes met my partners’ and we raised our hands. Everyone understood it’s a real risk to be in this court, you became a target for Yanukovych’s gangsters.” After the Euromaidan revolution in 2014, he agreed to join heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko on the Kyiv city council while on sabbatical. He was later drawn into negotiations with Russia over the fate of occupied Donetsk and Luhansk in an effort to highlight his Alternative Dispute Resolution practice. As a former soldier in the Soviet airborne forces, where he learnt to parachute, dive and shoot a sniper rifle, he thought he would be able to negotiate with former Russian comrades. He soon learnt they were paralysed by fear of Putin, he said.

“When I’m a negotiator, I have a mandate but I have flexibility to maneouver, to bargain, to try to find a solution for all sides, to try to persuade them there is a win-win situation. I know my president will back me up. “Their side is inflexible — it’s like they have an FSB officer’s gun to their temples. They have a narrative that was signed by the President of Russia, so they will go down this unreal propaganda track. They are not going for compromise.” When President Zelensky offered him the defence minister’s position in November 2021 it came as a surprise to him and his family. He is married to Yulia Zorii, 36, a presenter on a popular Ukrainian morning TV show and has two children, a daughter aged 32 and a son aged 18 from a previous marriage. He has two young grandchildren aged two and seven. He said: “I still believe I’m not a politician, I’m trying to see myself as a public servant. When I was appointed in November, I made a deal with Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces General Zaluzhnyi. I told him I’m a lawyer, I’m not a military commander. Tell me what you need to defend our country better, I will try to find it, I will try to persuade our partners to give us these things.”

The Russian army’s behaviour in Ukraine, slaughtering civilians, pillaging their homes and raping and executing women and children had helped him make his case, he said. Evidence of mass killings in Bucha, the first of dozens of towns liberated by Ukrainian forces, had helped the world realise what the Ukrainians were fighting for. “After Bucha people in other countries understood that the Russian army is an army of rapists, looters and murderers. “They live in a world of different values, they believe in the right of force, whoever has more power is right. They want to rebuild the Berlin wall. We are defending the eastern wall of the European civilisation and democratic values.” This was the argument he had made to Ukraine’s partners, he said, channelling Winston Churchill’s plea to the Americans for military aid before they entered the second world war. “Give us the tools, we will finish the job.”

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 12:37am
HIMARS in action again tonight. another russian ammo depot, this time in nova kakhova. 

yesterday five senior russian officers were killed in a HIMARS strike which destroyed their hq in kherson. 

• Major General Nasbulin
• Colonel Gorobets
• Colonel Kens 
• Lieutenant Colonel Koval
• Lieutenant Colonel Gordeev

Edited by colemanY2K - 12 Jul 2022 at 9:17am
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:35am
Ukrainians getting the groundwork done before the big push to start taking back territory.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Ukrainians getting the groundwork done before the big push to start taking back territory.

Yup. NASA satellites are picking up a significant number of fires behind the russian lines. Very few occurring in ukrainian held territory especially in the donbas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 180>
  Share Topic