You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:02pm
will anybody be taking part in the rainbow run next month in Dun Laoighre
Its very frustrating being a Slob
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:05pm
Would love to do more running but I seem to have a gammy knee. Use to do a few laps of marley park (struggling) and it would often click with the joints until I'm unable to go any further.
Often try a few k on treadmill as a warm up but then can't walk without limping. 
The dark side.. And the light
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

Date is it on and distance? Might pop over if I'm around

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:13pm

Is that the gay run?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Is that the gay run?

Is that what it is for, i thought it was for some charity

its on Saturday June the 20th, only 5k Sono

Its very frustrating being a Slob
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Would love to do more running but I seem to have a gammy knee. Use to do a few laps of marley park (struggling) and it would often click with the joints until I'm unable to go any further.
Often try a few k on treadmill as a warm up but then can't walk without limping. 

I think I know what this is based on the very little information you have given

Check out - iliotibial band syndrome

This can be easily enough resolved using a roller and stretching.

I could be completely wrong though

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:23pm
Started running a few years ago and lost over 3-4 stone! Absolutely love running now nearly go every day now for between 5-8 miles, done a 5k race last year and came 7th in 19.38 so was happy enough with that!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 26 May 2015 at 2:24pm
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:53pm
Jaysus Trig that's an unbelievable time! Well done on the weight loss, have lost 10 pounds since March basically all down to running, haven't changed my diet at all really.

Did you ever suffer from any foot pains starting out? Awful metatarsal pains in my right foot the past couple of weeks that I'm trying to sort out cos it's doing my head in.

Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:15pm
I started using those decompression socks recently and now the aches in my shins have subsided enough to allow me to run again....anyone with muscle aches in their lower legs should try them. 

not sure about feet though ....Althoug I can say that if you are running any distance at all ....don't go cheap on the runnrs...get your stride analysed and ensure you buy the proper foot wear. They can save you knees etc too.

A proper strectch out both before and after running cannot be underestimated either.

"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
ParkLife View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Started running a few years ago and lost over 3-4 stone! Absolutely love running now nearly go every day now for between 5-8 miles, done a 5k race last year and came 7th in 19.38 so was happy enough with that!

I've run one sub 20 minute 5K. And nearly coughed up a lung.
I came to the realisation that I'll never run a sub 40min 10K so gave up.

I'll do 2 or 3 10ks a week to keep ticking over.

For anyone into running at any level I would highly recommend reading 
Born to run or Eat and run.

Eat and Run being my favourite. That fella was a machine!!

heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:56pm
I used to love running up until recently and had done a 10k. It was great to get out in the park with a good podcast in your ears. Constant shin splints has put paid to it though Cry

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ParkLife ParkLife wrote:

I came to the realisation that I'll never run a sub 40min 10K so gave up.
Been trying to crack that nut myself - Three times now I've run between 40.11 - 40.33

I'll do it someday! 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Jaysus Trig that's an unbelievable time! Well done on the weight loss, have lost 10 pounds since March basically all down to running, haven't changed my diet at all really.

Did you ever suffer from any foot pains starting out? Awful metatarsal pains in my right foot the past couple of weeks that I'm trying to sort out cos it's doing my head in.

thanks sono! The only pain i get from time to time is shin splints really, for that run i was extremely motivated as there was one or two others that i had to beat, kind of put pressure on myself the week before but on the day i was flying! The finish of the race was uphill for the last 1-2k and i passed by many there as i wouldn't be the best at the early stages of a race, not sure if you know of newlands cross and the Belgard road i run up that hill quite a bit so the uphill finish suited fine! Fair play on your weight loss, you don't have to change your diet i eat some rubbish aswell just don't eat any junk after say 9pm all i eat after 9 is carrots and tomatoes! A man once said to me the best way to lose some weight is to buy a pair of runners and go and break a few footpaths! there was a 10k race from Greystones to Bray and it was won by someone with a time of 35.34!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 26 May 2015 at 7:00pm
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:31pm
Downloaded the C25K app the other day and went out for my first run today (mainly walking to be fair with 1 minute jogs in between). Haven't done much running in years but need to get into it as I had a health check this morning and my weight was pretty shocking.

So 8 weeks for now I should be running 5k pretty handy if this app is any good.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:41pm
Don't know if this is the right place to put this story but was in the pub with a mate who does a lot of running, marathons etc. Local knob comes over trying to start a conversation "I see you are doing a lot of running Gareth"- Gareth "yeah, away from the likes of you".

Top answer!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:31pm
Right, I have managed to give up beer and put on weight. My diet has probably deteriorated a bit. Anyway, started running a bit but when I did it before I got shin splints. Have tried to remedy this by getting a proper pair of runners, I assume cheapo options may have been my problem. Any other advice? Not just on shin splints but on taking it up? Just doing it to help clear my head, lose a few pounds and get a bit fitter, not run a marathon!
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:42pm
Stay off the roads, paths and hard surfaces. Go jogging on grass or even on the beach and you won't suffer from shin splints plus it's better for your joints.
Chips don't bounce
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:45pm
Beach sounds like a plan actually, didn't think of that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic