You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup Bid 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugby World Cup Bid 2023
    Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:37am
The IRFU unveil today to see can they beat SA and France.

The radio had the GAA heavily involved, with all but three venues likely to be theirs. There is a massive punt that Casement will be done, with tourist hotspots Thurles and Castlebar included as well as Croker.

Will be interesting to see does the approach of larger stadia in towns that it would be questionable as to their ability to host large crowds versus smaller stadia in towns that can.

Edited by roverstillidie - 15 Nov 2016 at 10:38am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:46am
The upside is, as the tournament gets to its sharper end it will centralise in Dublin around Lansdowne Road and Croke Park. You could easily play all from the QF's in those two stadiums.

The RDS, Ravenhill, and Thomond Park will all play major roles as the venues for games between the major teams and the also-rans. There will also be games which can be played in smaller venues without the concern of satisfying ticket demands, but will give the average punter the chance to get to games. 

I suspect it will be a bid which will mirror that of New Zealand'.s
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The upside is, as the tournament gets to its sharper end it will centralise in Dublin around Lansdowne Road and Croke Park. You could easily play all from the QF's in those two stadiums.

The RDS, Ravenhill, and Thomond Park will all play major roles as the venues for games between the major teams and the also-rans. There will also be games which can be played in smaller venues without the concern of satisfying ticket demands, but will give the average punter the chance to get to games. 

What's the maximum number of grounds you are allowed have in 1 city? Probably have a excellent chance of getting it, bit mad to think you could have a World Cup game in Thurles.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:49am
The rumoured bid will be

Dublin: Croker, LR, RDS
Belfast: Casement, Ravenhill
Limerick: Thomond, Gaelic Grounds
Cork: Pairc Ui Caoimh
Thurles: Semple Stadium
Killarney: Fitzgerald Stadium
Castlebar: McHale Park
Galway: Pearse Stadium
Derry: Celtic Park.

Lots of questions over some of those venues and towns compared to France tbh.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:51am

Well isn't that the question. The smallest venue likely is 22,000. There is no way that they will sell all the tickets, so the question to me is would venues like Terrlyland, Turners Cross or Tallaght not make more sense for the Fiji v Georgia games than including the likes of Thurles or Castlebar. How many hotel rooms are there in Castlebar?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:52am
The current odds on P/P are:

Ireland 4/7
South Africa 2/1
France 6/1

I think we have a lot more to offer than the other two and provided we can put forward a professional submission we should be big favourites to land this. New Zealand's successful hosting in 2011 shows that a country with a similar size/infrastructure can pull it off, as Het-field alludes to above.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:56am
France had the WC in 2007 and SA have hosted it too. That is the only reason we are down as favourites. We have nothing approaching the sports infrastructure they do.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Well isn't that the question. The smallest venue likely is 22,000. There is no way that they will sell all the tickets, so the question to me is would venues like Terrlyland, Turners Cross or Tallaght not make more sense for the Fiji v Georgia games than including the likes of Thurles or Castlebar. How many hotel rooms are there in Castlebar?[/QUOTE]

The venues have not been announced, and Tallaght has hosted Rugby before, so I wouldn't rule it out unless Shamrock Rovers and SDCC have made it clear that they won't be participating, which they may have already done? Ditto any other football stadium. The only article I can find is something from the Irish Independent which conjectures where it may be held. Equally, Windsor Park held games during the 2000 Rugby League World Cup, and that could be in the mix. Again, I can find nothing that irrefutably states that football won't be involved.

i honestly don't think there will be a serious problem selling tickets, as the RWC has a history of selling Schoolboy/Girl Tickets, reasonably priced tickets for most fixtures up to the final, and ceilings for the dead rubber games.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:05am

France had the WC in 2007 and SA have hosted it too. That is the only reason we are down as favourites. We have nothing approaching the sports infrastructure they do.

Well, South Africa are 6/1 for a reason - they are rank outsiders here. Their own government hasn't even fully given them the green light yet and their bid looks to already be in disarray.

So that leaves ourselves and France. We have nothing approaching any of the infrastructure they do - sports or otherwise - because we are a far, far smaller country. And yes, the fact they hosted it so recently is undoubtedly the main factor in us being favourites. As I said, provided we can make a reasonable submission it is ours to lose really. NZ would have similar stadia sizes to ourselves - similar sized towns/cities etc so them hosting previously without any major issues is our second big trump card.

As long as we don't balls up the stadia we should be getting this.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:08am

Well isn't that the question. The smallest venue likely is 22,000. There is no way that they will sell all the tickets, so the question to me is would venues like Terrlyland, Turners Cross or Tallaght not make more sense for the Fiji v Georgia games than including the likes of Thurles or Castlebar. How many hotel rooms are there in Castlebar?

The venues have not been announced, and Tallaght has hosted Rugby before, so I wouldn't rule it out unless Shamrock Rovers and SDCC have made it clear that they won't be participating, which they may have already done? Ditto any other football stadium. The only article I can find is something from the Irish Independent which conjectures where it may be held. Equally, Windsor Park held games during the 2000 Rugby League World Cup, and that could be in the mix. Again, I can find nothing that irrefutably states that football won't be involved.

i honestly don't think there will be a serious problem selling tickets, as the RWC has a history of selling Schoolboy/Girl Tickets, reasonably priced tickets for most fixtures up to the final, and ceilings for the dead rubber games.
[/QUOTE]

Worth pointing out that by 2023 you could have Dayler and Tallaght in the 10-12k range. Which is partially why I asked about the amount of stadiums in each city. Windsor is a great stadium too I beloeve it sits around 18.5k. Adding in PUC and Casement (should it happen) and you'd have a string base there from Dublin, Cork and Belfast alone. The bid will benefit from not having the level of restriction FIFA/UEFA impose in terms of host cities.+

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 15 Nov 2016 at 11:09am
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:53am

Tallaght would definitely be offered as it would raise the profile, bring a big event to the area and could justify further work. Dalyer will be onstream then too However that would mean 5 stadia in Dublin even though all have the bells and whistles others don't have.

I think they have simply gone with the biggest venues regardless of standard of stadium and suitability of the town and I would question if people will travel to Thurles, Castlebar or Derry for 'smaller' games. What are the corporate facilities like in Celtic Park?

Three of the NZ venues were smaller than what is currently mooted as the smallest  Irish one in Ravenhill, but to be fair, I don't think they had many other options.

The reality is that the GAA would be the big winners here, which is not ideal either in terms of legacy.

Edited by roverstillidie - 15 Nov 2016 at 11:54am
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:13pm
Dalymount Park, will that be renovated by then? 
Windsor Park? 

What kinds crowds didthe like of FIJI and Romania get over in England? bear in mind we'd expect tp have far smaller ones if we hosted the WC.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:16pm

Hardly any but there shed loads of hotels and guest houses in Westport that is only 15 minutes away.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:28pm
Possible Euro 2020 and World Cup 2023 in Ireland - nice Cool
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:46pm

Tallaght would definitely be offered as it would raise the profile, bring a big event to the area and could justify further work. Dalyer will be onstream then too However that would mean 5 stadia in Dublin even though all have the bells and whistles others don't have.

I think they have simply gone with the biggest venues regardless of standard of stadium and suitability of the town and I would question if people will travel to Thurles, Castlebar or Derry for 'smaller' games. What are the corporate facilities like in Celtic Park?

Three of the NZ venues were smaller than what is currently mooted as the smallest  Irish one in Ravenhill, but to be fair, I don't think they had many other options.

The reality is that the GAA would be the big winners here, which is not ideal either in terms of legacy.

The issue of legacy is not particularly big in the RWC. England 2015 swept the nation, engendered and renewed a love of the game with the oval ball, was played, came to an end, and moved on. The same in France 2007. RWC 99 is one of the few tournaments with a legacy, namely the Millennium Stadium, and 1995 has more of a mythical legacy rather than any tangible difference. Ultimately, it is different from a cultural point of view to the Olympic Games which sees legacy as a major part of its appeal.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:55pm
Fair play to the GAA (with the help of their minor partners the IRFU) in bidding for the Rugby World Cup

Not using Semple Stadium, which is the 2nd largestin the country by capacity, is extremely strange. Especially considering that the other 2 largest stadiums are in Dublin. There is absolutely some questions over transport/ accommodation etc but I think we can pull it off.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm

The issue of legacy is not particularly big in the RWC. England 2015 swept the nation, engendered and renewed a love of the game with the oval ball, was played, came to an end, and moved on. The same in France 2007. RWC 99 is one of the few tournaments with a legacy, namely the Millennium Stadium, and 1995 has more of a mythical legacy rather than any tangible difference. Ultimately, it is different from a cultural point of view to the Olympic Games which sees legacy as a major part of its appeal.
True, but the narrative s different. Not one extra seat in anty venue they can use after the final whistle blows. If there was say a plan to turn, say, Musgrave ark into a 20,000 venue it would make sense.

Instead millions will go to the GAA to do up their grounds specifically corporate facilities, then millions in rent to spend on promoting gaelic games.

If there are huge banks of empty seats then this is a legitimate concern.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:07pm

True, but the narrative s different. Not one extra seat in anty venue they can use after the final whistle blows. If there was say a plan to turn, say, Musgrave ark into a 20,000 venue it would make sense.

Instead millions will go to the GAA to do up their grounds specifically corporate facilities, then millions in rent to spend on promoting gaelic games.

If there are huge banks of empty seats then this is a legitimate concern.

I think that the event will not suffer from the risk of empty seats (naturally, not all games will be full), but any game involving the Six Nations, or the Rugby Championship teams will attract a capacity/large crowd, including the games against the Namibia/Georgia/Tonga of the World. Dead Rubber games will naturally suffer from attrition, but if the event captures the imagination, plenty of seats will be filled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic