You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby haters thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oisinsboyz4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:12am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Clarified this a few times over the years, I do not hate rugby. Or at least the game of rugby, which I find quite entertaining, I even watch a few games, most Ireland ones, and an odd Munster or Leinster one. Draw the line at Connacht & Ulster though, as the line has to be drawn somewhere. 

I don't hate rugby players, as TrAndy said, they are proud Irishman representing their country. Well, most of them are anyway, we do have a few lads with dubious connections to Ireland representing us too. That, by the way, is a dislike of rugby eligibility laws, and nothing against Messrs Stander or Payne, who are good rugby players & seem to be gents off the pitch too. The likes of BOD comes across very well in the media, Luke Fitzgerald is an articulate fella, ROG has an excellent column in D'Examiner that I read every week, and there is no bullsh*t with ROG, which I like. Alan Quinlan, Shane Horgan, Conor O'Shea and all the regular rugby media heads seem like decent fellas too. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I do absolutely detest the all pervading influence of marketing that surrounds nearly every aspect of the sport, and mostly, when I read about rugby in the papers or online articles, I find most of it to be similarly influenced, whether directly or indirectly. Personally, I choose not to buy into what the majority of rugby media says, about nearly anything, because of this. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In my opinion, there is a narrative running through the commentary & analysis & opinions of games, that while not as outwardly visible as that of say, the UFC, is there all the same, when you go looking for it. There are the certain themes used for games (redemption will be next week's one V England) that are adhered to at all times, there is an all accepting view of Schmidt's genius as a coach, there are articles couched in military terms (this particular one is a marketing theme & nothing else) and so on & so on. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I don't wish Ireland to lose in any game or sport, but I'm not that much of a rugby fan that I am in any way upset when they don't win. I would feel the same way about our cricketers or our international showjumpers or swimmers or whatever. I will admit I do enjoy seeing some of these supposed certainties/themes being turned upside down in the event of a loss, that loss usually being relatively predictable. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I dislike a certain element of our rugby fans, there is an elitist attitude about the sport from what I would refer to as a large minority of them. In this case, time usually proves they don't have much look down on, and I don't see any harm pointing out some of the above points to them here & there, usually when results don't go their way. I don't like bandwagoners full stop, regardless of the sport, and rugby has more than most in this regard. I don't care how elitist that sounds either, but I would like to think I'm fairly consistent in this regard, read any of the hurling threads in the past few years and you will see me criticising our own hurling bandwagon & the muppets that turn up for big games only. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I dislike them more than any rugby fans to be honest, but I don't get criticised for that for some reason. Hope that has clarified that for you in some form or other. Not asking anyone to agree with me either, they are simply just me own views and opinions on the subject. </span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
Have to say Deise that your posts are articulate,reasonable and wrll thought out and written,so much so that they could go on either thread without causing offence.They,for the most part, express my true views about the game ,it's followers,it's players and the way the game is marketed.Trouble I have is that I enjoy goading the Goys too much and can't stop myself from doing it
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:44am
Originally posted by oisinsboyz4 oisinsboyz4 wrote:

Have to say Deise that your posts are articulate,reasonable and wrll thought out and written,so much so that they could go on either thread without causing offence.They,for the most part, express my true views about the game ,it's followers,it's players and the way the game is marketed.Trouble I have is that I enjoy goading the Goys too much and can't stop myself from doing it[/QUOTE]

You have a point about the fact those posts could go an either thread, one which I was going to bring up when the original poster started the 'haters' one. Again, its a bit like the drugs in sport thread and Eamonn Sweeny's dead kitten analogy from his article last week. 

Point out stuff like French teams not taking the (formerly) 'ken cup seriously, yer a hater.

Point out that when a few of them do take it seriously, our teams are nowhere to be found toward the business end of it, yer a hater. 

Point out that a win in an 'Autumn Test' is not the same thing as a game of consequence, like an RWC game or a 6N game, yer a hater. 

Point out that we had a poor 6N but yet because we won an autumn test, or a few of them, and by extension, in rugby country, those same autumn test wins mean it was a good year for rugby country, yer a hater.

Point out that you can't just redefine success in a way that suits your own support of yer rugby team, as per above, meaning negative results can be explained away using a few stock excuses and the larger picture ignored, yer a hater. 

Point out that for all the marketing, the bluff & bluster, the comemmorative DVDs of the NZ game doesn't actually mean a thing when you repeatedly fail to get to the last 4 of the RWC, yer a hater. 

Point out that a huge proportion of rugby fans know absolutely nothing of the rules, even the basic ones (which even for our bandwagon culture, is a fairly low point) - yer a hater. 

Pointing out coverage of the game is entirely disproportionate, especially in the print media, yep, you guessed it, you hate rugby. 

The Indo last Saturday, lead with 6 pages of rugby I think, on a weekend where there was a full round of our actual national game, hurling, taking place, and the rugby international a full week away, no game on. This isn't sports reporting or analysis you are looking at; it's target marketing of ABC1 readership, basically trying to sell bankers, doctors & solicitors new BMW's & all inclusive family holidays to Florida. Pointing this out means you hate rugby. 

Link to Sweeney's article here, some won't see the correlation, or some won't agree with my interpretation that there is a commonality running through the subjects, but there are a lot of rugby fans seeing dead kittens alive & well, in my opinion. 

Maybe, just maybe, some or even all of the above might even have some truth in it, and merely pointing this out doesn't necessarily mean you hate rugby. Tis easier to just ''give the fcuking lads their own thread to moan in'' though.  

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:00am
Same paper indulging in most of the cheerleading last week comes up with a new angle to keep content high.

So Ireland are overrated now. Overrated by whom I wonder, hardly the same lads who see fit to devote the majority of their sports section to said same sport every week ?? Be a right U turn that. Last week, if you gave that opinion, after the victory V France, you would be classed as a 'rugby hater' on here. Think Ybig's Egg men have to up their game a bit to justify this 'haters' thread. 

By the way, if you are wondering why the rugby content in the papers tomorrow is still as high as ever, google Frank Keane, Colm Quinn & Michael Moore. None of them are rugby players either.......

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:17am

Same paper indulging in most of the cheerleading last week comes up with a new angle to keep content high.

So Ireland are overrated now. Overrated by whom I wonder, hardly the same lads who see fit to devote the majority of their sports section to said same sport every week ?? Be a right U turn that. Last week, if you gave that opinion, after the victory V France, you would be classed as a 'rugby hater' on here. Think Ybig's Egg men have to up their game a bit to justify this 'haters' thread. 

By the way, if you are wondering why the rugby content in the papers tomorrow is still as high as ever, google Frank Keane, Colm Quinn & Michael Moore. None of them are rugby players either.......

Just had a look at that article there Deise. Look whi wrote it haha! Only Roy Curtis!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:32am
Roy Curtis
How can anyone employ him and expect their paper to be taken seriously.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:49am
Apparently we were 'barve' tonight...well beaten
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 1:55am
Brilliant stuff from Diese 316! So true about the hype with the rugby! Personally i find the analysis of Rugby and the preview beforehand just so boring and could put you to sleep! Like they try and make the game so complicated! How can it have so many tactics it's basically a game of force and i honestly can't see any skill in the game! The lads doing the analysis are so annoying especially on radio they are so serious all the time and for example with Cheltenham starting next week you'll have racing pundits on this weekend who'll have a bit of craic and some charisma and just talk about it as it is a sport where some horses will win and others won't! These rugby pundits talk about it as if it's a life or death situation!!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Mar 2017 at 1:57am
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 6:23pm

Oh aye, yes............I did see this coming. 

Read some article during the week where the rugby lad was trying to make out that 2016 was a great year, one of the greatest rugby years, because we beat NZ, SA & Australia. But yet finished 4th in the 6N. He was prepared to overlook that. 

But if we lose to France, England or Wales (and losing one of them is certainly a possibility)and finish 3rd or 4th in the 6N is that 2 bad years in a row, is it one great year followed by a bad one, or 2 mediocre years ?? It seems to me that no matter what happens in terms of results, it's a great year for Rugby Country.

Mate of mine was arguing that it was better to beat the SH 3 big teams than win the 6N last year,  on the basis that we play in that every year and our turn will probably come around again, which is probably correct, whereas we might not ever beat the 3 of those in one year again.  But how does this square with the constant promotion of the 6N as the be all & end all of all things Egg ?? Either it is important, or it isn't.

And we have seen this before in years leading up to the RWC, where losses or bad performances are excused by ''building a team for the RWC'' , where we exit at the QF stage regardless of how we did in the 6N. Tis a bit baffling, the definition of success seems to constantly shift, depending on what the results are, and the context in which the negative ones can be placed (Building for the RWC/injury crisis/real target is South Africa tour/ah sure we won it last year anyway/we were glad of triple crowns in the 80's, don't be making little of them now) 

Welcome to (insert year of your choice) - a great year for Irish Rugby. 

So you're quoting your own posts. I think its finally time that you started to refer to yourself in the third person.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

[

So you're quoting your own posts. I think its finally time that you started to refer to yourself in the third person.

Deise316 very much disapproves of those referring to themselves in the 3rd person. 

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

[

Deise316 very much disapproves of those referring to themselves in the 3rd person. 

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:25pm
Jaysus Schmidt saying he wants a mid table finish. Of six! And he gets away with this pony
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:48am

Very true Deise! The stock response (from most of the rugger buggers I know) whenever anyone has the temerity to draw attention to the fact that the sport is massively and disproportionately over hyped in this country is to counter by saying that we non believers are ''jealous''.LOL

They are an incredibly precious bunch and it's great to see them being called out on it by the likes of Ewan McKenna and Paul Kimmage in the general sports media.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Very true Deise! The stock response (from most of the rugger buggers I know) whenever anyone has the temerity to draw attention to the fact that the sport is massively and disproportionately over hyped in this country is to counter by saying that we non believers are ''jealous''.LOL

They are an incredibly precious bunch and it's great to see them being called out on it by the likes of Ewan McKenna and Paul Kimmage in the general sports media.

Too right. Rugby is massively over hyped in this country. No other sport is like that.

*Says the barstool soccer supporter with his EPL Jersey on watching the best league on the world claiming he hates the manc/scouse/hammers scum the other side of the bar in Mullingar/ Ennis / Castlebar whilst claiming the Leauge of Ireland is of a similar standard to the 9th division in England having never been to a single match in years. 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
At least the majorty of local EPL barstooler's would have played the game or more than likely been involved at some level with his/her local club.

I know hundreds of people who live in County Carlow, who have never played rugby, never go to support Carlow or Tullow Rugby Clubs, never been involved at grassroots level, only attended Leinster/Munster European Games and Ireland 6 Nation Matches.

See the difference? Outside of Rugby strongholds, it's fairly evident that Rugby for the most part is nothing like Soccer in this country between involvement and playing. 

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Mar 2017 at 11:01am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:17am
EPL barstoolers are idiots, plain and simple.

Two recent examples in my local - one fellow who I have never seen wearing any item on clothing other that a Man U top, Polo, Tee told me that I hadn't a clue when I said that J. Giles played for United. Giles played for Leeds says he.

Another night discussing Ireland Managers -  a self proclaimed live long Man City fan (fella in his 50's) swore blind the ROI managers Martin O'Neill/Mick McCarthy never played for City and neither did former NI manager Sammy McIlroy.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

EPL barstoolers are idiots, plain and simple.

Two recent examples in my local - one fellow who I have never seen wearing any item on clothing other that a Man U top, Polo, Tee told me that I hadn't a clue when I said that J. Giles played for United. Giles played for Leeds says he.

Another night discussing Ireland Managers -  a self proclaimed live long Man City fan (fella in his 50's) swore blind the ROI managers Martin O'Neill/Mick McCarthy never played for City and neither did former NI manager Sammy McIlroy.

F sake........LOL Angry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:36am
LOL
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Too right. Rugby is massively over hyped in this country. No other sport is like that.

*Says the barstool soccer supporter with his EPL Jersey on watching the best league on the world claiming he hates the manc/scouse/hammers scum the other side of the bar in Mullingar/ Ennis / Castlebar whilst claiming the Leauge of Ireland is of a similar standard to the 9th division in England having never been to a single match in years. 

I don't follow an EPL team and I'm a season ticket holder at my local LOI club so you're barking up the wrong tree there chief! Yes, there are plenty of EPL barstooler muppets in Ireland following a league which is massively over hyped. We were, though, discussing rugby and the comically self regarding and delusional narrative which surrounds the game in Ireland. Relative to the number of people actually involved in rugby in Ireland the level of blanket coverage it receives through TV, print and online media is completely disproportionate. I won't rehash all of the points made by Deise in the last couple of pages but he is absolutely spot on in relation to both the incessant marketing messages and the fawning media coverage surrounding Irish rugby. The pompous, delusional, self regarding nature of it is really starting to grate on many general sports fans as is evident from much of the schadenfreude which followed the recent defeats to Wales and Scotland. Have a listen, if you get a chance,  to the Sunday paper review on off the ball yesterday where this is discussed, in detail, with Paul Kimmage, Cliona Foley and Joe Molloy.

''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic