You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 49>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm
f**k Giles
f**k Dunphy

I would rather they had a turnip with headphones sitting there then to listen to those two, particularly Dunphy. Christ almighty 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

f**k Giles
f**k Dunphy

I would rather they had a turnip with headphones sitting there then to listen to those two, particularly Dunphy. Christ almighty 

Ah you don't really mean that Artie. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:01pm
They were awful the last few years they were on air, well beyond their best before date. They hadn't a clue about the modern game and completely phoned it in. Didnt bother to do an ounce of research for games. Didnt know teams/formations/managers etc.. they'd leave that to Richie, Didi or Souness and just go a long with it. Their arguments was always "in my day at Leeds" before launching into how  they done it 50 years ago and how the modern way is all wrong. "Old man yells at cloud" stuff.

If anything RTE are the ones to blame for not giving younger pundits/presenters/commentators a chance as Bill, Giles, Dunphy and George Hamilton were all approaching retirement age.

They'll be goosed when Hamilton fully retires and even more so when others like Brady, Whelan, Houghton and Tony O'Donoghue follow suit, all of which are not a million miles away from doing so then.

Then we'll really be left with bottom of the barrel stuff.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

They were awful the last few years they were on air, well beyond their best before date. They hadn't a clue about the modern game and completely phoned it in. Didnt bother to do an ounce of research for games. Didnt know teams/formations/managers etc.. they'd leave that to Richie, Didi or Souness and just go a long with it. Their arguments was always "in my day at Leeds" before launching into how  they done it 50 years ago and how the modern way is all wrong. "Old man yells at cloud" stuff.

If anything RTE are the ones to blame for not giving younger pundits/presenters/commentators a chance as Bill, Giles, Dunphy and George Hamilton were all approaching retirement age.

They'll be goosed when Hamilton fully retires and even more so when others like Brady, Whelan, Houghton and Tony O'Donoghue follow suit, all of which are not a million miles away from doing so then.

Houghton is awful to listen to and so is Whelan. They're miserable gits. 

Giles loved Ruben Baraja during the 2002 World Cup and didn't even know his name. "Who's that lad?"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Giles loved Ruben Baraja during the 2002 World Cup and didn't even know his name. "Who's that lad?"

They are but they're still miles better than the alternatives that would be their replacements like Stephanie Roche, Aine O'Gorman, Stephen Kelly, Pat Fenlon, Stuie Bynre and whoever else they've pulled out of their canteen in recent months. Their coverage for the Euros last year was abysmal, awash with struggling amateurs.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

They are but they're still miles better than the alternatives that would be their replacements like Stephanie Roche, Aine O'Gorman, Stephen Kelly, Pat Fenlon, Stuie Bynre and whoever else they've pulled out of their canteen in recent months. Their coverage for the Euros last year was abysmal, awash with struggling amateurs.

When you put it like that.
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:13pm
Just as a matter of interest if you could choose your panel for the nations league games who would be your three.. I would probably take Sadlier, Hamann and Brady but not a lot to choose from tbh

Edited by Benhur - 14 Sep 2022 at 10:17pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:33am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

f**k Giles
f**k Dunphy

A bit harsh on Giles in fairness. But on Dunphy yes, even thinking about him gets me riled up. Years and years just spoofing up rubbish every week. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:33am

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

f**k Giles
f**k Dunphy

A bit harsh on Giles in fairness. But on Dunphy yes, even thinking about him gets me riled up. Years and years just spoofing up rubbish every week. 

Yeah I think nostalgia and the brilliance of Bill O'Herlihy gave them a free pass for a number of years. 

There was a time when I would be keen to hear what Brady's view was and took the others as just entertainers. Now, Didi is the one who I am keen to listen to. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:14am

I think you'd disproven your own point there. Hamilton, Moloney and Des Curran have been in a 3 way rotation for the past year and it's working very well I think. The younger lads are fresh voices and blend in without the usual "I'm switching to Sky" comments
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:07am
I watched the Champions League highlights on BT last night. Rio Ferdinand is by an absolute mile the worst pundit on TV. Nobody comes close.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I watched the Champions League highlights on BT last night. Rio Ferdinand is by an absolute mile the worst pundit on TV. Nobody comes close.

Steve. Mc. Manaman. by a distance!
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Rio is terrible! Does McManaman still do punditry? Thought he was just a Co-commentator.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Blame the public who wanted Giles, Brady, and Dunphy off panels.
Ok it was not always the greatest  in match analysis but give me the craic they had over any of the ex players who are so boring. 

And I can't take to the women either especially for senior men's matches. Call me old fashioned or sexist but live games have always had the formula of ex pros doing the co-commentary (colour) and pre and post game analysis. Ok maybe there are one or two of the women who have enough knowledge to give an opinion but they haven't lived it as a pro footballer in the dressing room at the elite level to add the colour from the elite footballers perspective. It's also tokenism which I hate.
Like I wouldn't like to see a male football journalist on the panel either.

Using that logic the likes of Potter, Jose and Wenger should
Never have been listened to as they didn’t play at a high level.  

Some people can play some can coach and some
Can communicate.  Very few can 2 never mind all 3.  

AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:17am
Yeah but you pick the best person for the job and they could obviously coach.
For me at least, I enjoy to listen to commentary and analysis of someone who has lived it and can give the opinion from the benefit of their inside knowledge. Not jut the tactics but the physiological aspect of being a former elite player and what they have been through.
I can listen to journalists and people involved at certain levels of football as well and appreciate it but I think for the big senior mens matches I would rather listen to an ex international even if they are not able to do as good of a job on the monitor with the tactical analysis of the match. 

I’d even be having similar feelings for the likes of Stuey Byrne. So it’s not just anti female, although I do resent the tokenism aspect of it.

Edited by t_rAndy - 15 Sep 2022 at 11:21am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
Most of the worst pundits are former players.
Some of the most insightful people have never played the game at the top level. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:00pm
Joey Ndo ✌️
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:19pm
RTE panel a far cry from the entertaining fab 4.

Its absolutely brutal now.  The panelists are sh*te. As are the presenters.
RTE should get Tommy Martin.  Virgin have moved way ahead of RTE.  How times have changed when they used to have Trevor Welch and Noel King.

I'd watch ITV if I could but with poxy Virgin Media and cant get it. WTF is that about?Confused

I don't like every channel deliberately having a women on almost every panel now.  Way too PC.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 49>
  Share Topic