RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 49>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:21pm
Absolutely astounds me that he won 39 caps, 39! Just 14 less than Ronnie Whelan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:31pm

Stephen Kelly is excruciating to listen to.

The worst of the worst

As bad as he is the monotonous Kenny Cunningham is undoubtedly the worst of the worst to listen to. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:56pm

I’m a big fan of Kenny Cunningham. Good analyst and he’s occasionally funny on Off The Ball

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:18pm

I’m a big fan of Kenny Cunningham. Good analyst and he’s occasionally funny on Off The Ball

Yeah dont really get the hate, hes pretty harmless. Not the most insightful or knowledgeable but as you said decent enough analysis and as a guest on OTB where hes given a bit of free reign to talk he can be quite funny. Himself and Kerr were a good laugh on Sunday there on OTB, they were supposed to be covering one of the PL games but instead with the game off came into the studio and just had a natter talking about their time as manager/captain of Ireland etc..

The worst pundits/Commentators on RTE are the likes of Stephanie Roche and Aine O'Gorman who are absolutely ear splitting to listen to. To add they've no real insight or opinion of their own, they just agree with their co hosts points and stating the obvious. I remember the pair of them covering the Euros last year, O'Gorman sniffling every 10 seconds into the mic live on co comms for an entire game and Roche covering another with absolutely no voice looking and sounding to have been on the sesh the night before. Complete amateur stuff.

Not that the more "experienced" pundits and commentators have been much better in recent times. Brady has turned into Giles for coming completely unprepared and phoning it in, doesn't know half the players, their clubs, the managers, the teams systems etc.. bit of grumpy aul git as well.

Houghton and Whelan and on co comms are generally clueless too when covering teams that aren't Liverpool. They're also incredibly negative and forever moaning every decision. If I have to listen to either of them giving out about VAR and the lines men being late to raise flags I'll lose it!

Only good pundits to come through RTE in recent times in Lisa Fallon and Karen Duggan.

Edited by Bandwagon - 13 Sep 2022 at 10:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:25pm

Only decent analyst is Lisa Fallon. Someone that's actually worked as an analyst for a team.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:27pm

Stephen Kelly is excruciating to listen to.

The worst of the worst

As bad as he is the monotonous Kenny Cunningham is undoubtedly the worst of the worst to listen to. 

He'd make a good killing recording kids bedtime audio books. Your kid would have no issues falling asleep at night.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:35pm

Only decent analyst is Lisa Fallon. Someone that's actually worked as an analyst for a team.
Funny how different people think....I think Lisa Fallon waffles on and on and on to explain the bleeding obvious, takes 10 sentences where 2 would make the same point. I turn the sound off when she's on as a panelist. On saying that I usually turn the sound off after about 5 minutes of a match....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm

Funny how different people think....I think Lisa Fallon waffles on and on and on to explain the bleeding obvious, takes 10 sentences where 2 would make the same point. I turn the sound off when she's on as a panelist. On saying that I usually turn the sound off after about 5 minutes of a match....

Probably not used to someone actually knowing what they're talking about and able to go into detail about stuff rather than spout football cliches.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:54pm

Probably not used to someone actually knowing what they're talking about and able to go into detail about stuff rather than spout football cliches.
Yep, the reason I turn the sound off to avoid the clichéd comments. I understand Lisa feels she needs to explain the game to the less knowledgeable viewer but think she overdoes it. 

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 14 Sep 2022 at 12:09am
ProudIrish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:45pm
i know Stephen years he’s 100% and the criticism is harsh . He knows his football , played at the highest level and is very intelligent . Cunningham is entertaining too
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 12:30am
I like Kenny 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 1:08am

I like Kenny 

I love Lamp(ard).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 5:39am

I think a lot of the criticism Cunningham gets is down to appearance and the eyebrow raise he does. But he's decent to listen to and can be funny enough too.

If your voice has a tendency to get high-pitched, you shouldn't be on co-comms, which is where the criticism of Kelly and female co-commentators is valid. I'd much rather listen to analysis from Lisa Fallon that some of the other males analysts they have on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:03am

Don’t get the hate. 

Edited by 9fingers - 14 Sep 2022 at 7:04am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:55am

So you just sit there in silence watching people sit of a set? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:49am

I think a lot of the criticism Cunningham gets is down to appearance and the eyebrow raise he does. But he's decent to listen to and can be funny enough too.

If your voice has a tendency to get high-pitched, you shouldn't be on co-comms, which is where the criticism of Kelly and female co-commentators is valid. I'd much rather listen to analysis from Lisa Fallon that some of the other males analysts they have on.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think the Irish accent generally lends itself to listenable punditry and commentary. Thinking of Duff, Sadlier, Kelly, Keane and Cunningham. Always so nasally, whiny and screechy. Much rather listen to the baritone of someone like Souness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:51am
Kevin Doyle another one. If these lads were doing a presentation in college, you'd be falling asleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:19pm
Blame the public who wanted Giles, Brady, and Dunphy off panels.
Ok it was not always the greatest  in match analysis but give me the craic they had over any of the ex players who are so boring. 

And I can't take to the women either especially for senior men's matches. Call me old fashioned or sexist but live games have always had the formula of ex pros doing the co-commentary (colour) and pre and post game analysis. Ok maybe there are one or two of the women who have enough knowledge to give an opinion but they haven't lived it as a pro footballer in the dressing room at the elite level to add the colour from the elite footballers perspective. It's also tokenism which I hate.
Like I wouldn't like to see a male football journalist on the panel either.

Edited by t_rAndy - 14 Sep 2022 at 6:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 49>