Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 49>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

The fact that Ireland had six months unbeaten could only be called miraculous.

When you look back on 2011, there wasn't really a single inspirational moment in competitive play. Not a single game where you could say the team was really progressing. This all became very apparent in the Euros of the following year.

Tbh, the post wasn't going to the nuts and bolts of the games themselves, as it's been done many times before, but to prove that the supposed unravelling after the home game against Russia in 2010, and the "getting beaten heavily" results that followed it over the following year were non existent.

Back then, we suffered no away losses, and no competitive defeats whatsoever. We didn't need an extended Euros nor any 3rd place get out of jail cards to save the manager from the bacon slicer. And we ended the 25 year old trophy famine. It may not be the most prestigious trophy ever won, but it's a lot more than what we have won over the past 30 years, which lets be honest, is not a huge amount.

As bottom seeds in 2012, results unravelled against three of the top ten sides in the world, among them the then European Champions, finalists, and the future World Champions with half a first team, that nobody else with better players and stronger resources could deal with at the time either.

Today, we're back to the old days of losing key games away from home against sides at our level, a record I fully expect to continue in Vienna, and am ready for. Unlike the Euros, there are no Gibraltars or B team opponents around, nor any 3rd place options to bail us out in the World Cup, but there will be plenty of vitriol from the influential RTE panel afterwards.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

When you look back on 2011, there wasn't really a single inspirational moment in competitive play. Not a single game where you could say the team was really progressing. This all became very apparent in the Euros of the following year.

Tbh, the post wasn't going to the nuts and bolts of the games themselves, as it's been done many times before, but to prove that the supposed unravelling after the home game against Russia in 2010, and the "getting beaten heavily" results that followed it over the following year were non existent.

Back then, we suffered no away losses, and no competitive defeats whatsoever. We didn't need an extended Euros nor any 3rd place get out of jail cards to save the manager from the bacon slicer. And we ended the 25 year old trophy famine. It may not be the most prestigious trophy ever won, but it's a lot more than what we have won over the past 30 years, which lets be honest, is not a huge amount.

As bottom seeds in 2012, results unravelled against three of the top ten sides in the world, among them the then European Champions, finalists, and the future World Champions with half a first team, that nobody else with better players and stronger resources could deal with at the time either.

Today, we're back to the old days of losing key games away from home against sides at our level, a record I fully expect to continue in Vienna, and am ready for. Unlike the Euros, there are no Gibraltars or B team opponents around, nor any 3rd place options to bail us out in the World Cup, but there will be plenty of vitriol from the influential RTE panel afterwards.

The old days where we're also beating teams like Germany & Italy Clap

I'm also expecting us to lose in Vienna and am ready for it but I get the feeling that a poster who's so anti-O'Neill like you, part of you at least is hoping for it rather than ready for it. You're hoping we fail under him so you can come on here and spew your 'I told you so' nonsense immediately after the game.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 3:21am
I notice there that neither Germany nor Italy were beaten away from home. Italy were too busy with other matters to even bother fielding a proper team to face us.

I'm not hoping to lose in Vienna, I do see it as inevitable given this coach's approach to away games to even modest opposition. The standard park the bus and nick a point away from home tactic has already come unstuck in Poland and Scotland, and it's likely to be shown up again for what it is in Vienna. Whereas it took 6 years for someone to find a gap in the Trap bus, in an away qualifier.

I'm not "anti O'Neill" either. I just recognise that someone who once represented a foreign national side, took months to accept our job in the first place, another few months to renew his contract, without a few lucky breaks on the pitch and 3rd place options off it, would now be taking up space on a B Grade bench, getting B Grade results somewhere at a B Grade English club, and whose last major trophy was nigh on 15 years ago.

That's all.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 10:55pm

I notice there that neither Germany nor Italy were beaten away from home. Italy were too busy with other matters to even bother fielding a proper team to face us.

That's absolute sh!tetalk planning. Despite our pitiful draw against the world champions in Gelsenkirchen, only one team has beaten Germany on their own this in this century and Emile Heskey played that night. We're one of only other 4 teams since 2000 who came away with more than 0 points in a qualifier LOL 

Italy rested a few players alright but their reserves are far better than our first team. One of the best footballing pedigrees in Europe and one of the most limited, albeit plucky. On the night itself mind, I recall O'Neill basically dropping most of the lads who played against Belgium and Sweden and threw the likes of Duffy in at the deep end and in the end it paid off. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:02pm
Watched the match in the pub and never hit record at home. Anybody care to give a synopsis of Dunphy's pre-match, half-time and post-match analysis?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:05pm
There was none because of the Rugby.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:07pm
Did a lot more analysis online. It's on the RTE player
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

There was none because of the Rugby.
It was on the RTE player. He was full of praise for the team but also completely dismissing Austria. Pre game he was giving out about O'Shea not starting and I think he predicted an Austria victory.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:09pm
Pretty much Dunphy pulling himself off to Weso's pass
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Thanks for that mental image on a Monday morning lassie

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Jaysus no need for that.

Some of the saner lads on the Welsh forum think it will be very difficult for them in Dublin, think they've lost momentum, sparkle has gone since their semi-final appearance in the Euro's.

Of course some of them expect to come here and win because we are average/lucky etc
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:19pm
Eamo on RTE radio this morning : " and of course at west Brom James McClean is managed by Tony Pulis, who's an ardent English nationalist"

He's Welsh, you fecking eejit Eamon.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 14 Nov 2016 at 11:20pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Eamo on RTE radio this morning : " and of course at west Brom James McClean is managed by Tony Pulis, who's an ardent English nationalist"

Tony Pulis is indeed Welsh and, like a lot of Welshmen, is an ardent English nationalist.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Tony Pulis is indeed Welsh and, like a lot of Welshmen, is an ardent English nationalist.

LOL
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:11am

this eejit gone into hiding ?
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 7:37pm
RTE trying to copy Sky's stylish presentation/analysis on a computer screen interface like MNF and when making a point Dunphy goes "Can I touch the machine?" LOLLOLLOL 

He probably thinks its a Commodore 64 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:00pm
Embarrassing isn't it
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:42pm
Dunphy and Duffer not relaxed at all using it, whacking the screen with their fingers when it only needs a slight touch. Didi was much more in his comfort zone using it.

Interesting watching how seriously Dunphy was taking trying to master it. Could almost hear him thinking ; "If I balls this up they might start thinking about me as another panel dinasaur, like poor Johnny."Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 49>
  Share Topic