You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ROI v Sweden, Paris, General thread (meet-ups etc)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ROI v Sweden, Paris, General thread (meet-ups etc)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394041
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 6:35pm
Give yourself couple of hours to get out to stadium. We took B tram and shuttle rather than C tram, which was bunged on saturday. Journey back not too bad
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Sponsored Links

bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:15am
Just back this morning. I stayed in Montmarte actually 5 minutes from The Harp. I was on the street for most of Sunday and in Corcorans etc and before the game and after the game.

I saw absolutely nothing but brilliant craic and superb behaviour for the whole time I was there and God knows I was on that street for a lot of hours. (Probably worst thing is rivers of piss along the wall on one side of street..not great to be fair)

Have to say as a grumpy old man at times in my forties I probably had 3 of the best days ever following Ireland and the fun was just completely off the wall.

Maybe I was lucky not to encounter any clowns but as I say for 3 days I saw nothing but pure joy, happiness, friendliness and downright superb behaviour from the many many thousands of irish fans I had the pleasure to mingle with.

Cant wait for part 2 in Lille next week.
lionelhutz View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionelhutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:57am
Hi all, 

Back from Paris since last night, it was an unreal experience the last few days, unforgettable.

But I'm mainly writing cause I went into a souvenir shop in Paris on Monday night - in Moulin Rouge area - a few doors down from "Clichys Tavern" - and the owner told me that he found a wallet for an Irish fan - Gary McCormack was the ID in it - had his credit cards, etc. I had no access to internet over there so only getting a chance to post it now. 

Hope he already went back there and found it but said I'd post it here just in case it might help. 

Great performance, small pang of regret that they couldn't get the win. 
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionelhutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:59am
"Clichys Tavern" is pretty much across the road from The Harp Bar - if that helps. 
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionelhutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:09pm
With regards the match day trip, we found everything a lot more straightforward than expected. We got a taxi to the Montmarte area and got the metro from there to the stadium. Yes the metro was wedged but we squeezed on eventually. 

No major delays with security, a couple of checks of your ticket and then a pat down just outside the stadium, no major queuing at all. 

In relation to the crowds outside the Harp Bar the night before the game, we went down there around 11 until 2am and yes, there were people off their face drunk, but we didn't see any violence or anything overboard. Just a few idiot drunks. We had a great time there, atmosphere wasn't intimidating at all imo - a lot of singing and dancing. You'd worry for some of the lads who were literally legless but you're always going have a few of them with that big a crowd. 
Terry Mancicni View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by bananarepublic bananarepublic wrote:

Just back this morning. I stayed in Montmarte actually 5 minutes from The Harp. I was on the street for most of Sunday and in Corcorans etc and before the game and after the game.

I saw absolutely nothing but brilliant craic and superb behaviour for the whole time I was there and God knows I was on that street for a lot of hours. (Probably worst thing is rivers of piss along the wall on one side of street..not great to be fair)

Have to say as a grumpy old man at times in my forties I probably had 3 of the best days ever following Ireland and the fun was just completely off the wall.

Maybe I was lucky not to encounter any clowns but as I say for 3 days I saw nothing but pure joy, happiness, friendliness and downright superb behaviour from the many many thousands of irish fans I had the pleasure to mingle with.

ClapClapClap

my experience aswell. genuinely saw not 1 incident that I thought in anyway was unsavoury.

Bring on the next one!!!
dan5times View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan5times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:31pm
Have to say it was a brilliant few days. Didn't see any trouble at all. I was staying in Monmarte and yes it's a bit seedy and dirty but never really felt unsafe. The area up near sacre Le ceour is nicer than the area near Moulin Rouge.

I agree that people jumping on moving vehicles is not the best idea in the world. On Saturday night I seen a fella fall off a bus onto his back the hedge below broke his fall, lucky! I arrived on Friday and the first police man I saw down around the harp was on Monday?! They closed the road on Saturday and Sunday but opened it again the day of the game? In terms of fans meeting in one place it's logistically a nightmare with the main road where it is.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 1:49pm
http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.fr/2016/06/bitter-swede.html?m=1

Blog on Sweden game and trip so far for anyone interested.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:25pm
I've never seen a crowd like it. Montmartre was mental after the game and not an ounce of trouble. I was outside sullivans for the majority of the festivities.

Classic.

Your man climbing up the tree to get the football was a moment to savour. As was your man climbing on top of that metal ball outside the harp bar
https://www.orourkeda.blog

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:26pm
Cant wait for Bordeaux. Its going to be classic
https://www.orourkeda.blog

muscles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muscles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 3:05am
Originally posted by bananarepublic bananarepublic wrote:

Same here. Though theres always a chance of a a few scumbags in a crowd that size.
RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
 Few lads in the latter hours and some French Lula acting up .But apart from that it was a fantastic few days. 

Beauvais airport is not an airport.More of a coconut shack.
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm
Given the rain and overhead thunder where I am in Paris at the moment I am glad we played Monday, OTOH have Pol v Ger tonite so hope TF it stops.

farneybhoy View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farneybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 8:49am
Brilliant couple of days in Paris. Truly a fantastic experience. Looking forward to Lille although the numbers may be a bit fewer ( more room at the bar!)
farneybhoy View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farneybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Carnage in Montmartre/Pigalle last night. I'm sure it was great fun during the day and early evening.
But the amounts of coked up, completely legless/sh*tfaced, passed out people was unreal. A very tense and aggressive atmosphere I found. 

Some lads breaking stuff, pissing against front doors, windows, jumping on vans and basically acting like pricks. Piss, blood and fights all over.

Never felt as alien on an away trip. A new crowd is joining us and they just seem to disregard normal ethics and have a different view on what is 'fun' stuff.

I'll gladly avoid scenes like that again. It was just cringe worthy and downright shameful at times.

I was outside the Harp and surrounding area from noon until 4pm and then after the game until around 4am. Granted there some very drunken people there and a couple of headers but i never saw one fight, people breaking things or felt it was an aggressive atmosphere ( far from it in fact).  think your post is completely OTT and if you 'never felt as alien on an away trip' then do us all a favour and stay at home the next time. It's absolute drivel you're talking.
miece View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Carnage in Montmartre/Pigalle last night. I'm sure it was great fun during the day and early evening.
But the amounts of coked up, completely legless/sh*tfaced, passed out people was unreal. A very tense and aggressive atmosphere I found. 

Some lads breaking stuff, pissing against front doors, windows, jumping on vans and basically acting like pricks. Piss, blood and fights all over.

Never felt as alien on an away trip. A new crowd is joining us and they just seem to disregard normal ethics and have a different view on what is 'fun' stuff.

I'll gladly avoid scenes like that again. It was just cringe worthy and downright shameful at times.

must be your first time off the farm?

good luck. you won't be missed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394041
  Share Topic