FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrobbie keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Topic: robbie keane
    Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 2:40am

robbie scored again for spurs this weekend. when was the last important goal he scored for ireland???

Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 2:51am
2 against israel on that terrible day...
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
kiecarew View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 2:53am
thats my point. he's done f**k all since or in this campaign. but still manages to score for spurs./

Edited by kiecarew - 24 Sep 2007 at 2:59am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 4:01am
spurs arent bad though...
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 4:37am

I think its important to remember Robbie Keane is still the best Striker we have, and although he hasn’t preformed for Ireland in recent times, he still is a quality player.

His role at Tottenham is different and they play a completely different style of football. For one they don’t rely on Keane!

His captaincy hasn’t helped him unfortunately, and he’s missed Duff big time…

I think taking his captaincy away (possibly to McShane) could only prove a mistake, and we should stick with it for the next campaign anyway (probably Keane’s last…)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:10am
he's not that old ?? surely he has another 3 campaigns??
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:13am
Keogh, Long, Connolly, Morrisson, Elliot, Lee etc etc...are the alternatives do you really think one of them alongside Doyle is so much better an option?

It's a catch 22, when the German's put us out of our misery next month Cyprus and Wales would be a good time to make changes, but then again Stan will be trying to save his job and we have to finish above Slovakia.

So Kiecarew who would you play up front for the next 3 games?
kiecarew View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:27am
i take your point L.Y.A. i suppose the alternatives to keane aint that great. and it would take alot of bottle to omit him from the side. i just find it frustrating to see him bang in the goals for spurs and not do it for ireland.

i do however think morrison deserves a place in the squad at least. i rate him alot more than keogh, stokes and murphy.
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:45am

Keogh (not yet, but definitely in the future), Long (Perhaps, but again not yet), Connolly (no way), Morrison (squad yes, team no), Elliot (over keane??), Lee (who?)

As an active away supporter as I’m pissed off as the next man with Keane’s performance, but again he is still our best option…

Keane Doyle, with Duff Ireland Hunt and Reid for the next campaign…

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:56am
keogh, stokes and murphy arent international level and in my opinion, may never be. we are strugglin for another decent striker at the moment. robbie keane can count himself lucky that there hasnt been one in a few years or else he might find himself out of the starting 11. the fact of the matter is that at the moment there is no alternative to robbie. in my opinion id still have him in front of any of our other strikers, apart from doyle, as keane still has the capability of producing that touch of class every now and again, something that the majority of the rest of the team are incapable of doing. I was always a big fan of clinton in the green jersey. its unfortunate for us that his poor league form over the past 2 yrs has cost him a place in the team as he was a useful player for us through the years and had the fantastic "nack" of popping up with d odd important goal
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:58am

While no player is undroppable (is that a word?), there is no way the other alternatives mentioned can start ahead of Robbie.  As I've said often, take the armband off him and we might see him concentrate again on his own game rather than rallying the troops and worrying about what's going on around him.  Strikers by nature have to be selfish and if he's worrying about his team mates, he's not getting into the scoring positions he used to.  How may dangerous positions did he take up in the 2 away games?  2 I can recall, his dummy for Ireland's early goal and his half chance at the end of the Slovak game.  Nada in Prague.  Give Dunne the armband, Robbie should be at his peak now, he's what, 27/28 now?  And regardless of who he's scored against, he's our record scorer but he does need to buck up his ideas and transfer his club form to the Green.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
kiecarew View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 7:17am
bring back the doc!!!!
ryaner13 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:43am
I have to say I absolutely love watching Robbie play for Spurs I think he is fantastic!!!his link up play and forward thinking astounds me sometimes(when withSpurs).I don't neccessarily think it is anything to do with the captaincy because he has and is wearing it alot for Spurs in the absence of Ledley King!!The players around him make alot of difference and he loves linking with his midfielders in the spurs side like malbranque and Jenas! apart from Stephen Ireland we have no midfielders who can burst into the box and link up with Keane! the only Irish player he has any telepathy with is Andy Reid!But this doesnt take away from his poor performances in the Green jersey. so hard to figure out why he underperforms, a lack of big game goals is denting his confidence and the Irish supporters never chant his name anymore this is bound to get to him as he is adored at White Hart Lane!!I think all YBIG should get behind our captain!!
Liverpool F.C go deo..
ryaner13 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:45am
As for Clinton I am big time against him playing for Ireland again! He is not up to it and never was, regardless of how much he works he does not deserve an place in the squad!!
Liverpool F.C go deo..
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:52am

We'd all chant his name Ryaner if he deserved it and I've always been a fan of Robbie, I just think he shoulders too much with the Irish captaincy.  I'm not concerned if he'sa good captain with Spurs but I think it's fair to say from an Irish point of view, he is not international captain material and hasn't shown himself to be since getting it.  We all want Robbie back to his best, but he's gotta do it himself.  I don't think he has been getting too much abuse from us, if any, but his performances have left me very frustrated cos he has got the bloody ability.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
duffer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:59am
Keogh scored again the weekend and I think him and Long could make it in time but Morrison no, Lee no, Murphy & Stokes looking less impressive every time I see them but young enough still and Elliott not sure but doubt it. 
�The seeds of doubt that were sown at the weekend against Egypt have been doused by a dose of Jack Charlton's almighty weedkiller.�

ryaner13 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 9:45am
maybe not Freewheeler but don't think that can be the sole problem behind his performances. I know he does not get abused by Irish fans but just saying im sure hearing his name being chanted might push the lad on a bit!captaincy should be honey monster's anyway, hopefully our new manager will sort it!

Edited by ryaner13 - 24 Sep 2007 at 9:46am
Liverpool F.C go deo..
robbie01 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 2:52pm
anyone suggesting dropping keane for long elliot murphy or any other striker that has never done nothing but score a few goals in the championship needs their head examined,keane gets absolute zero service for ireland compared to tottenham,its not as if hes missing chances left right and centre,hes not getting any chances.maybe id play him in a five man attacking midfield with just doyle as a lone striker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic