You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Towell - Puns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 44>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Like Hoban?

Hoban moved to League Two and has never been close to Towell or Horgan's standard.
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Heard the sports on Neil Delamere's today fm show this morning. Talking about Towell, reporter waa saying he should go over to league one or two where the pressure would be less. Bol1ix to that, Keegan went over and held his own in the championship till he got injured. Same with Deegan. Forrester has gone over and is tearing up league one. Towell is better than them all, could easily stand up at championship level

Towell could do worse than move to the upper reaches of League 1, don't forget the size of most Championship teams budgets and that most contain squads full on internationals and ex Premiership players. 

Edited by Green Devil - 08 Nov 2015 at 9:46pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

[QUOTE=Drumcondra 69er] To well could do worse than move to the upper reaches of League 1, don't forget the size of most Championship teams budgets and that most contain squads full on internationals and ex Premiership players. 

This is very true. I'm a big fan of Towell but we have to remember he played a lot of very poor sides/players this year. As much as it pains me to say it league one is a full time professional league and the League of Ireland isn't.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:05pm
Towell is not better than Forrester
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Should be in the squad/get game time for the friendly with Switzerland at the beginning of next year.
Regardless of whether he's still playing here or in England.

Agree with that.

On Towell moving. As much as there are plenty of quality players in the Championship and international players, I think he would do very well in that league. He looks to have all the assets to be a good international player for us imo. Problem is this won't be recognised until he goes across the water.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:16pm
He could be good in the wet weather. O'Neill should ring him.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Big fan of Forrester but Towell is better imo.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Big fan of Forrester but Towell is better imo.

100%, I'd take towell over Forrester all day. I can't understand how he hasn't made the move
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:53pm
Towell way more consistent from my views of both players but Forrester clearly making an impression so far for Peterborough but Towell can and should have a decent pro career, 29 goals is outstanding
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:26am
If he's good enough he'll make the move to England. He's not a kid though, 24 and has already failed to make the grade in Scotland and on trial with English teams, so although he looks outstanding for Dundalk I wouldn't be losing the run of myself over him just yet. Hopefully he get's a move to L1 or even the Championship and then we'll see if he really is that good, or the LOI is just that bad.
We're decent enough..
LovelyLiam View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:34am
LOI is course not the best standard league around but in no league is it easy to score 29 goals from midfield and consistently be the most influential player on the pitch. He was a bit off today and still managed to score the winner in a difficult scrappy final. He at least deserves to be considered for Ireland's friendly with the Swiss after the play-offs. Hopefully at that stage a decent championship team will have taken a chance on him as well.
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:25am
Judging by how quickly and well forrester has settled into league 1 football I would be very surprised if horgan and towell couldn't make similar step ups given the opportunity. 
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Judging by how quickly and well forrester has settled into league 1 football I would be very surprised if horgan and towell couldn't make similar step ups given the opportunity. 

Bit of a flawed logic there. Making a go of it in another country is down to alot of things. For every Kevin doyle and Shane long that did well there's a Roy o Donovan and pat hoban who were arguably better prepared than either of the other 2 when they left here.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:36am
Towell didn't fail to make the grade in Scotland iirc he played most of the season with hibs then decided to come home

Ps hoban was nevr at the level of Horgan and towell
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
I would be amazed if towell is still at dundalk next year. He is a cracking player- i think its very possible he will go to the championship and is more than capable of playing at that level.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I would be amazed if towell is still at dundalk next year. He is a cracking player- i think its very possible he will go to the championship and is more than capable of playing at that level.

I'd say it would probably depend on who comes in for him. he may see himself better than league 2. would he go to league 1? who knows. a championship side i'm sure he'd be gone. then you factor in dundalk in champions league qualifying rounds etc. i'm sure dundalk will try and keep him with as attractive a package as they can afford so unless towell gets an offer he thinks is worth taking he might stay another year.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 9:38am
For those in the know, how does he compare to Fahey?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

For those in the know, how does he compare to Fahey?

They're different types of players. Fahey was a composed midfielder, capable of getting the ball, holding it, calming things down, creating space and delivering great passes.
Towell is a lot more energetic and pacey, much more of a physically robust attacking midfielder who scores way more goals. 
Forrester is more in the Fahey mold as well.

I think Towell could make the move to England alright. Maybe go to a top League 1 side and see if he can get into the Championship with them. Players need game time over there. You'll see that Forrester started off playing 60-75 minutes of Peterborough's matches and is now completing the 90 and getting praise from his manager. Only scored twice so far, though. If Towell went to a Championship side and couldn't establish himself in the starting 11 fairly quickly then it would be easy to disappear. IMO it's better to make yourself a fixture in a team with potential lower down and make the step up with them en masse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 44>
  Share Topic