You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return through Oslo.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoobedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return through Oslo.
    Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:46am
My self and the gf are flying home via Oslo. Have to stay one night anyway but was thinking of staying two. Was never there and not likely to be there again so good chance to see the city. Had a quick check on accomodation and we could get a double for bout 90 between us a night.
I know it's a mad expensive place but can things be done on the cheap? Don't plan on drinking, just some grub and visit museums. I know there is a pass that you can buy for muesums and it seems reasonable. From what I read bus from Ryan air hub is 25 quid each one way, so that's 100 straight away. I know it's like 80km to Oslo so thinking maybe stay in moss for two days and just visit Oslo for the day.
Anyway any tips or stories from norway. Is Oslo worth the visit, am I missing extra costs that will make me sh*t me pants. Read another thread bout the lads who got take away in airport costing over 100 euro. I think I would cry if that happened. I've budgeted pretty well so far with our trip, don't want to be made bankrupt in Oslo!
(hope this is the right place for this thread).
Sponsored Links

theleprechaun View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theleprechaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:14am
I was there about a month ago. Its pretty expensive. If money is an issue, I would probably advise against staying an extra night. Pint are circa. €9-10. But eve if you don't plan on drinking like you say, you will have to eat. And that is expensive. Around €25 for mains in a cheapish restaurant. Big Mac Meal in McD's even around €12. A bottle of coke in a standard shop- around €4. A bar of chocolate in a shop- around €3. Accommodation is the one thing that is pretty reasonably priced. And it costs around €30-35 to get into Oslo from Rygge. So its not cheap. However, I thought it was a beautiful city. People spoke excellent English and were friendly. Loads of nature and culture. Didn't think the nightlife was amazing but then it was around €10 per drink! So if you have a little money to spare- then go for it. If money is an issue- perhaps the one night is enough.
Lodger View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:24am
Didnt think much of Oslo to be honest. Fairly boring place, as are other places in Norway so staying in Moss could even be more depressing.
Food is very expensive, McDonalds/Burger King would cost about €20 for a meal. There are some nice bars in the port area but again are expensive.
The Edvard Munch museum would be worth a visit, cant remember exactly but dont think it was too expensive relative to other prices there.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:29am
Avoid like the plague
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
fr larry duff View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fr larry duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:27pm
flew through oslo for the estonia game, was in oslo for a night, didnt seem to be much about to be honest, though i didnt really get a proper look around

went to moss on the way back as i had a 10 hour gap between flights, the place was dead (though to be honest we stopped at the first bar from the train station) and that was a saturday afternoon and the beer was a rip off!
hoobedoo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoobedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:04pm

def wont be drinking, may even try to get a apratment or hostel with cooking facilities. bit bothered about bus to oslo, possibly costing 120 return between us.  No matter how rich i was i dont think i could spend 12 euro on a big mac. it just feels wrong!

The seeds of doubt that were sown at the weekend against Egypt have been doused by a dose of Jack Charlton's almighty weedkiller.<br />
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:34pm
Was in Oslo for the Friendly a few Years ago and came back from Estonia via there. Never AgainThumbs Down
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Was in Oslo for the Friendly a few Years ago and came back from Estonia via there. Never AgainThumbs Down

Your not a boston celtics fan anywayLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic