FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturn of Home Internationals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return of Home Internationals
    Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 12:53am

Ended before I was born but seems like a good idea. Would love a crack at those Northern Blastards
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Sponsored Links

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 1:07am
yeah I think it would be a great idea. Would be good for blooding new players aswell in a competitve atmosphere unlike most friendlies where you cant judge properly (eg beat sweden 3-0 and we think we're great). Would be good if england came on board aswell.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 1:18am
LOL same here erimus , theres not much would cheer me up more than going up there and giving them a hiding like we did the day roy keane ran riot and we did them 4-0
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 2:37am
Can't see England coming on board but it'd be great to have it back, I'm old enough to remember it, they were great end of season tournaments with Eng v Scotland akin to Cup Final Day for excitment.  Success of the Setanta Cup would hopefully take some of the hate out of us playing Norn Iron, reckon it'll be a goer, with or without England.  Actually I'd prefer them not to be in it, 1995 riot and all that.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 3:56am
1995...........think of revenge!!
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 5:12am

Initial plans are to hold what has been called a 'Celtic Cup' every two years with a knock-out round followed by title match and play-off.

The first semi-finals are being sketched in for August 2009 with a final and third-place play-off in February 2010.

The Scottish Football Association, the Football Association of Wales and the two Irish associations are all understood to be keen on the idea.

"Things are provisional, but if we could pull this off, the interest would be enormous," David Collins, the secretary of the FAW, told the Scotsman.

"For the fans, the TV companies and potential sponsors, a Celtic Cup tournament would be huge.

"And for the managers of the respective teams it would be an opportunity to look at players in competitive friendlies.

"We are quite positive about the whole thing, although we appreciate a huge amount of work is needed before it could get off the ground.

"But the Celtic countries have had a meeting about it and we each decided to go away and work out ways whereby the tournament could be possible."

England have not been excluded from discussions but, with the Football Association cool on the idea, the Football Association of Ireland were asked to consider participation.

Collins added: "Their reasons for ending the old Home Internationals are well known.

"On the other hand, if we can get the tournament up and running and convince England there are practical solutions to the various issues, then they might want to become involved, anyway."

L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 12:22pm

If it replaces some of the sh*t friendlies then it's worth it for that alone, I wouldn't rule England out it either..Freewheeler with England in the tournament it becomes twice as interesting..

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 3:18pm
Ah I know, I just have a serious problem with the scum who follow them.  Without getting on a rant, my blood boils when it's fobbed off as a minority who wade in when trouble starts.  I've seen first hand how they work in Euro 88, Italia 90 and of course Lansdowne 95 and I wasn't seeing things and I still remember the terror of the night they went on the rampage in Cologne in 88, the night AFTER we beat them in Stuttgart.  One was constantly on alert whatever bar you went in, same in fckn Cagliari/Palermo, that's why USA 94 was so memorable.  None of them bastds to worry about.  Mark my words lads, they'll misbehave if they come again.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 6:06pm
Coorect freewheeler.
the documentary after last world cup proved that its not just the 'firms' who cause trouble.
they have a serious amount of young tramps as well with the same attitude

one point on the home nations. when it stopped crowds had dwindled to small enough numbers. it wasn't the big attraction then, what has changed now.
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 6:36am
I'll take your expierenced words wisely Mr wheeler..It's hard though to get excited about a tournament of Scotland,N Ireland and Wales...maybe we should as The Grunt wrote in the last issue, have a guest/s nation each year..if you had a France, Holland, Italy or even a weaker team it would  bring the interest way up

I dont really get the format..as it's a semi final in August 2008 and then in Feb 2009 it's the final...how does the semi-final get decided? Do all the teams not get to play each other first
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 8:14am
I don't get that format either, it used to be round robin over a fairly quick period of a couple of weeks, don't see what'd be wrong with that.  Semi final format renders you might only get 1 meaningful game, at least round robin guarantees 3......not a bad idea Ger to beef it up with a guest nation and let the FA and the scum who follow them do their own thing anyhow.  I think towards the end of the old series it was familiarity breeding contempt cos they were getting drawn against each other in ECQ/WCQ as well if I remember rightly, maybe that's why the crowds lost interest.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 1:42am
problem with inviting another country on board would be the competitive nature of the games again. They might just take them as being friendly games again and it would lose its bite. Would be great if I was wrong though and visiting countries went out to win the competition and good countries looked to enter every other year.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 3:39am
i am massively in favour of this celtic cup lads , would be tremendous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic