You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rep of Irl WNT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 143>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Sure didn't goalkeeping errors probably cost the team a place at next year's Euros? 

sure didn't goalkeeping errors cost us a place in the 1994 World Cup quarter final.... 

And don't forget the quarter final in 1990
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 10:09am
Has anyone has been following the scandal unfolding in the WNSL in the USA this past week or two. A male coach of one of the teams was sacked over allegations of sexual and psychological misconduct. Since then further allogations of unscrupulous behaviour has been alleged against a number of other coaches in the game over there (both male and female).

There is some twitter chatter that the current Irish manager is implicated from her previous role with the Houstan Dash, and according to a yank hack I saw on twitter, a story may break sometime in the near future. 

Just to stress here, there is absolutely no indication that she's being accused of sexual abuse, or anything of that nature. It's more to do with the way she allegedly treated her players and personnel within the club. 

The Irish players all seem to speak highly of her so I'd take this with a pinch of salt for the moment. If something does come out, hopefully it won't be destabilising to the team because it genuinely seems like we're starting to make progress under her
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:37pm
Making progress under Vera? Really? Some of her selections are more then questionable 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Making progress under Vera? Really? Some of her selections are more then questionable 

The Tyler Toland issue is being cited by her American detractors as an example of the poor way she treats people.

However I think in general she's moving the team forward, recent game against Australia being an example. A bit like the MNT were a work in progress. The big issue she/ we have is the goalkeeper. Personally think Grace Maloney is the best.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 10:22am
Just went on to grab a ticket for the Sweden game and it says none available on Ticketmaster, hardly sold out already is it?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Just went on to grab a ticket for the Sweden game and it says none available on Ticketmaster, hardly sold out already is it?
Yep sold outClap
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm
Only a matter of time before Sweden take the lead
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:36pm
Great SaveClap
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
fcukin cruelDisapprove
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:41pm
A shame - we were playing really well up until that point, unfortunate OG
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:42pm
Too much standing off Swedish no.11
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:45pm
Good to see RTÉ blocking this match for those living in the North.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Good to see RTÉ blocking this match for those living in the North.

I believe it's over international TV rights - you cannot broadcast a UEFA or FIFA game live outside your own territory (even if you wanted to).
PaConnors View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaConnors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

7 defeats in the last 8 is it? 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:09am
It's great to see increased media coverage of women's football. But I do think the coverage is completely disproportionate to current interest levels. Has anyone seen the Irish Times coverage this morning? The men's team would not generate this amount of print. It seems the level of coverage given to women's football is designed to raise interest, and not to reflect current interest. Is that the role of sports journalists? I see the same thing happening with GAA writers, where they give over the top coverage to every game between one never heard of parish and another never heard of parish. They are acting as promoters of the game as opposed to analysers of the game.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:09am
All the Swedes were blonde and not a black player on the pitch from either side .

Just struck me as strange in todays world .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

It's great to see increased media coverage of women's football. But I do think the coverage is completely disproportionate to current interest levels. Has anyone seen the Irish Times coverage this morning? The men's team would not generate this amount of print. It seems the level of coverage given to women's football is designed to raise interest, and not to reflect current interest. Is that the role of sports journalists? I see the same thing happening with GAA writers, where they give over the top coverage to every game between one never heard of parish and another never heard of parish. They are acting as promoters of the game as opposed to analysers of the game.

Any coverage is welcome.  

The game was totally soldout with ticket touts operating outside. Now I hate touts but I did get a warped sense of pride that they were operating at a women's game.  

In the past these games were "pay at the gate" and Sweden's last competitive visit was in the Carlisle Grounds in front of 1,450 (a surprisingly decent crowd for the time).  There has been huge growth in the womens game.  The crowd appeared to be mainly female last night which was great to see.  The atmosphere was brilliant.  It is clear Katie McCabe, Aine O'Gorman et al are real heroes to younger fans.  

It is 8 defeats in 9 but of those only Ukraine was a letdown.  Vera has taken a huge gamble in playing friendies against superior opposition to improve the standard.  The lone win over Olympic semi finalists Australia last month shows what is possible.  We lost 10-0 to Sweden in the early 90's.  It reached a stage where we only played their under-21 side in friendlies and even took a couple of hammerings there.       

Finland are still favourites to win on Tuesday.  However we do have a real chance of getting a result.  Of course it could go wrong, we could lose and fail to beat Slovakia next month but for now the signs are positive.   
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:28pm
From what I saw last night, we couldn't string 2 passes together. Very disappointing to watch abeit against a top side
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 143>
  Share Topic