You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reflections on France as a Host Nation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Then walking about the town looking for a pint or a burger only to find they were all closed. Then follow it up with a 2 hour long wait for a taxi.  I remember I was kranky as fook that night when I should have been happy.

We got on the tram back in after about 45 minutes waiting, it probably helped that we had already bought 3 day tickets so no queueing at the ticket machines. 

We managed to get a burger place open but it closed about 10 minutes after we got into it and they had ran out of chips.

Went down to the square at 'tir nan nog' but the pub itself was closed due to a blocked jacks, the smaller place across the square was open but it was jammed so we walked down rue solferino to 'lirlandes' and it was hopping. We left it at 3 and there was no sign of them closing. We were in there for 3 of the 4 nights that we spent in lille and it was a cracking spot.

I liked lille and lyon, bordeaux was good but Paris, apart from the nights up at the harp, wasn't up to much.
Let Christy Take It.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 2:18pm
Spent between 25 and 80e a day on taxis.

Paid 60 on a taxi from Bordeaux airport to my AirBnB and then paid 1 euro 50 on the way back.

My only gripe with France.

The food, wine and women were all great. The transport in each of the cities were great and very easy to use.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 3:50pm
Paris- square outside the harp was the best craic the whole trip
Bordeaux- weather was awful first few days, welsh fans down there were great banter, nice city great kebabs pity about the result
Lille- bit of a kip, craic before and after game in main square and outside tir na nog was brilliant
Lyon- best city, weather unreal, thought stadium was so far located away from the city it was ridiculous we left it behind us which took a bit of gloss off the trip
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:09pm
Didnt think their food was up to much. That is all

Unreal place. The extra staff in Lyon around the Tram took the prize for best matchday help. Otherwise the people were great, all stadiums were well serviced, plenty of accomadation and transport. Great Road network. think Lille with the humidity was the worst serviced but should have stuck out the queue for the tram outside the ground in hindsight. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:45pm
I've been to Paris a few times previously but it's always a thrill going there. Everything is so big and on such a grand scale that it's both intimidating but thrilling. If you don't like Paris, you're bored of life. 

But it's a city where you need to be very streetwise. The amount of scammers on the streets is incredible. Everybody seems to want to make a cheap buck from you and they will if you're not alert. 

But I can't understand anybody who wouldn't enjoy going there and if you do it shows a serious dullness of mind on your part, in my view. There's always something to do, there's always something new to see no matter how many times you go back there.

Stuck largely to local bars in my days there and enjoyed the atmosphere in them a lot. A particular highlight was accidentally getting talking to a French guy and his Irish girlfriend on the street, who let us drink in their house and brought us up to a local bar near the top of Montmartre.

That's not to say there aren't things to complain about. The customer service in particular is very poor, and that's common to pretty much all of France. 

In some ways I like the more relaxed and lazy pace of life but it can be very annoying at times. 

As with others, I found the lack of taxis and late night shops very frustrating. 

Lille was the worst in this regard although Bordeaux wasn't much better. It was very disappointing to come back into Lille city centre after the Italy match and find so little open. Getting back into town was a farce, couldn't get a beer unless you were willing to queue for 20 minutes minimum once in town, couldn't get a packet of cigarettes for love nor money, found it very hard to even get a takeaway kebab, and then the taxi queue was nightmarish, with pickpockets hanging around and "unofficial taxis" wanting to scam you (and I believe they did, from at least one other story I heard). That's a pity because Lille is a surprisingly good city by day. 

Bordeaux is a really good city, with a very vibrant centre, quite different to how I remembered it from being there one my one previous visit in 1991. I felt the public transport was quite ill-equipped to deal with the fans getting to and coming back from the stadium, however.

Had some terrific food there in the La Plana restaurant and also enjoyed the wine excursion to the lovely but pricey village of St. Emilion (kudos to culture vulture horsebox on both) - the cheese plate at a restaurant there was just divine.

Had only a few hours in Orleans but it seemed like a terrific place with a beautiful cathedral and city centre and it's somewhere I wouldn't mind re-visiting (hopefully when I'm less hungover, could barely stomach a beer there), it has a sort of posh Galway vibe about it.

Also enjoyed Arcachon. Not a resort used to catering for football fans obviously but a lovely part of France. The Dune du Pilat is an astonishing natural feature and you really missed out if you didn't see it. I'm surprised it's not more well known, certainly I'd never heard of it before about six months ago.

Puzzled about some people saying the food wasn't up to much in France - on a trip like this you're not likely to be be eating upmarket very much and it's largely going to be stuff like takeaway rolls, burgers, chips and kebabs - any boulangerie was always a good option in this regard - the couple of times I did venture more upmarket I wasn't disappointed - even had my first ever steak tartare, and while I doubt I'll be making it a regular order in future, neither was it the worst thng I've ever had. 

Overall, despite the constant feeling of weariness, it was a superb trip, and probably edges Poland (which also a tremendous trip in fairness) due to the better results on the pitch - that night against Italy in Lille made it all worthwhile.

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Jun 2016 at 4:53pm
SouthDerryMan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthDerryMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:59pm
Paris - went to montmatre the night and day of ireland game and was best craic of the trip (drinking cans on street) spent rest of my time in paris in the fanzone which was also good and pints were grand.

Bordeaux - after weather improved it was good craic outside connemara with cans again. stadium bit far out.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Had some terrific food there in the La Plana restaurant and also enjoyed the wine excursion to the lovely but pricey village of St. Emilion (kudos to culture vulture horsebox on both) - the cheese plate at a restaurant there was just divine.
I eat in this place five nights in a row in Bordeaux, absolute top notch grub and perfect soakage. 

Bordeaux the best spot for me (La Plague nightclub was lethal) followed by Lyon. Paris was great too, mainly because of the Swedes who I was expecting to be boring but turned out to be deadly craic Clap

Bonus tip: If visiting a vineyard in France, make sure to interpret your destination as the stop rather than the train's destination, otherwise you could end up in a town in the middle of nowhere half way to Switzerland.

67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:32pm
Taxi's by all accounts were a disaster. Lucky enough I only needed it on one occasion and was sorted quick enough

Grateful for the 3 Donegal lads who allowed me to join their Taxi enroute to Stade De France. Would have never made the game on time otherwise!

The amount of time spent travelling would be my only gripe with them. Obviously with the train companies as one of the sponsors it was designed for them to make a killing!
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

[QUOTE=sid waddell]

Bonus tip: If visiting a vineyard in France, make sure to interpret your destination as the stop rather than the train's destination, otherwise you could end up in a town in the middle of nowhere half way to Switzerland.

Also try not to get caught out in pissing rain if you do accidentally do it. Wink

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Biggest pro for me was the stadia was magnificent!
I thought the outside of the stadium in Bordeaux looked like an Ikea, one of which was coincidentally just down the road from it.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:57pm
Had an absolute ball
Spent an clean fortune
Had the pleasure of sitting with McG in Bordeaux  
The end

Edited by McG - 30 Jun 2016 at 8:07pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Had an absolute ball
Spent an clean fortune
The end

Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:13pm
Uber worked great over there so never had a problem with taxis
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by max max wrote:

Biggest pro for me was the stadia was magnificent!
I thought the outside of the stadium in Bordeaux looked like an Ikea, one of which was coincidentally just down the road from it.

Sitting at other end among Belgian fans with last minutes tickets I thought it would come down like an Ikea cabinet when Belgian fans were bouncing on the upper tier behind the goals.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Had an absolute ball
Spent an clean fortune
The end

Clap

And you forgot irishmufc
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:13pm

Had an absolute ball
Spent an clean fortune
The end

Yeah you bought me a pint.:)

AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Had an absolute ball
Spent an clean fortune
The end

Yeah you bought me a pint.:)

Jezzzzzzzz we were with him for 3 of the games and i can't remember him buying a round Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
eviemonkey View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eviemonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 11:18pm
I had a hugely enjoyable couple of weeks. 

France is not a perfect hosting country for a tournament like this by any means. I don't think they 'get' football, like say Germany, Italy, England or Spain. I think they appreciate it rather than love it imo. 

But it compensates by being such a beautiful country and so accessible for most of the teams that qualified. I think I prefer European Championships now to World Cups because you get bigger travelling numbers attending, which leads to better atmospheres, more mingling, bigger occasions and just better craic in general. 

I attended three non-Irish and there was a serious atmosphere at all three. Great support in particular from Iceland, Croatia and dare I say Northern Ireland. 

Paris and Bordeaux are great cities. Paris I knew fairly well from previous trips, but the Sunday night and Monday pre-game in Pigalle was special. Memories of Bordeaux are tinged a bit because of the match result, but I enjoyed it enough to feel like I'd want to go back again and do it justice.

Lille was a day trip from Paris for me. Nothing too remarkable about the city itself, but that Wednesday night was one of the greatest nights of my life, so Lille will always have a special meaning for most of us.

Plenty of downsides as well. Queues for everything, particularly the beer and the bog, usually in that order. I feel like I drank half of what I could have if I hadn't being queuing so long. A lot of French bars and restaurants just weren't ready (or interested?) for the amount of Irish present. 

Customer service was erratic at the best of times. France get so much tourist trade anyway that you kind of felt a lot of places would have been happy if the Euros had never happened. 

Food was average at best. But I'm not a foodie by any means, so a lot of the endless sitting around that is expected of a French dining experience just annoyed me tbh. 

The stadiums were great, impressed by all five I visited. The match day experience probably suffers a bit by most stadiums been stuck out in the middle of nowhere, with little or nothing to do in terms of eating or drinking nearby. 

Overall it was a great experience, probably surpassed my expectations tbh. Just afraid to look at my bank balance now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic