You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reasons Ireland is Class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

you can look a bit closer to home. in england the vast majority of places at third level are fee paying (somewhere in the region of £10k per year). as a result of government policies the divide between rich and poor is significant and growing. statistics in the uk show if you're from an underprivileged family the chances are you'll struggle to get out of that rut. 

while ireland has its problems it is far more equal providing opportunities for society as a whole.

And, in the UK, tertiary level education is essentially tiered which reflects the US model. Thanks to Brexit, the UK has been moving away from social democratic values and that will further create division and lack of opportunity.

I think the major difference in Ireland is that pivots on policy might be sufficient to improve key public services and goods, which are generally available. As a society Ireland has certainly lent into the importance of funding key services that benefit society.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Some other quality Irish artists that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the Boomtown Rats Sawdoctors The Thrills Horslips Inhaler and SLF.

The Thrills were the worst band to ever pick up instruments. Awful. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:54pm
This thread = minus banter.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That is why I said in the main. The corpos went on to Cecile
City councils.  The vast majority of the country was county councils with those cities having corpos.  

Your first point regarding privately educated people and the civil service is rubbish and your points have been shown to be cliches class warrior nonsense.  
Don't see where I referred to private schools...the point I made was that prior to 1968 and the introduction of free secondary school (is it really free if there is a back to school allowance paid to people on low incomes), a large number of people who could afford a full secondary school got good jobs in the PS as a LC was a requirement for certain positions.

You said they bought their education and got good positions in the civil service and it continues to this day.  
And I stand by that, the better education a person can afford in the main results in better qualifications and with it greater opportunities. 

Yes but you can enter the PS with a leaving cert and educate yourself within the PS and progress through the ranks based on qualifications and experience and performance.   
AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

A national appreciation for a Sunday pint / session.
Didnt know you liked a Sunday pint....

I'll get an invite to your table someday.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:11pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This thread = minus banter.
This thread minus banter = ?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 4:59pm
The Thrills LOL

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 5:07pm
Some excellent film and TV has come out of Ireland. Some real gems in terms of lesser know films too.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

The Thrills LOL

Those lads definitely went to private school 😀😀

Ironically named band too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:14pm
Why is Ireland great? This video made by the Foreign Ministry a few years ago sums it up nicely. Still makes me fiercely proud to be Irish whenever I watch it

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:20pm
Lead singer of Flogging Molly is Irish. Being a fan of punk rock in my teens, I remember them having one or two decent tunes. Dropkick Murphys aren't Irish but have made a living appropriating Irish culture; they're a much better version of Flogging Molly. Only know one Therapy? song, Nowhere, which I remember being a banger.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 21 Jul 2022 at 10:21pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Some other quality Irish artists that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the Boomtown Rats Sawdoctors The Thrills Horslips Inhaler and SLF.

Hated them.  They were the Mumford and Sons before Mumford and Sons
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Hated them.  They were the Mumford and Sons before Mumford and Sons

The Thrills are to Irish music what Tom Cruise is to the Irish accent.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:12am
I have to laugh that the weather is considered a reason for Ireland been class. Is it the complaining about the sh*t weather that you all like?
It would damage this forums' reputation
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 8:13am
The weather does make every particularly green and nice looking though  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 8:23am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Why is Ireland great? This video made by the Foreign Ministry a few years ago sums it up nicely. Still makes me fiercely proud to be Irish whenever I watch it

Quality stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:21pm
It's a marketing video Confused 
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic