You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reasons Ireland is Class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:57am
Some other quality Irish artists that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the Boomtown Rats Sawdoctors The Thrills Horslips Inhaler and SLF.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:13am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

At a basic level, its a pretty safe country without much risk of serious natural disaster. We have quality food. There’s good living and educational standards. The people are generally friendly. There’s a decent social scene. There are very high levels of employment including lots of well paid work. There is a thriving sports scene. That’s off the top of my head

a lot of credit goes to tj whittaker for the vision that eventually put ireland on the road to prosperity but imo as much praise should go to ernie o'malley for going on a solo run as minister for education in the 60s and making education free to all. that decision above all others imo changed ireland forever and is the reason why today we enjoy the prosperity we do. 

my grandfather used to tell a story to my father about how he finished primary school on a particular  friday evening in the 40s. of the 12 in the class just 1 received a scholarship to continue on with second level education with the monks in the village, the other 11 started thinning beat on the monday morning in the abbeys farm. most of them eventually immigrated and many died young, my grandfather being one of them having died in his 50's. the majority of todays kids will go on to 3rd level education, some will do apprenticeships but very few will go on to do unskilled labour. we've come a long way.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:25am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

At a basic level, its a pretty safe country without much risk of serious natural disaster. We have quality food. There’s good living and educational standards. The people are generally friendly. There’s a decent social scene. There are very high levels of employment including lots of well paid work. There is a thriving sports scene. That’s off the top of my head

a lot of credit goes to tj whittaker for the vision that eventually put ireland on the road to prosperity but imo as much praise should go to ernie o'malley for going on a solo run as minister for education in the 60s and making education free to all. that decision above all others imo changed ireland forever and is the reason why today we enjoy the prosperity we do. 

my grandfather used to tell a story to my father about how he finished primary school on a particular  friday evening in the 40s. of the 12 in the class just 1 received a scholarship to continue on with second level education with the monks in the village, the other 11 started thinning beat on the monday morning in the abbeys farm. most of them eventually immigrated and many died young, my grandfather being one of them having died in his 50's. the majority of todays kids will go on to 3rd level education, some will do apprenticeships but very few will go on to do unskilled labour. we've come a long way.

Obviously things are better nowadays compared to that but I think we have become complacent about our education system. I think it is a little overated, too many of my friends have fancy certs from fancy colleges which are essentially useless.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Obviously things are better nowadays compared to that but I think we have become complacent about our education system. I think it is a little overated, too many of my friends have fancy certs from fancy colleges which are essentially useless.

there is that but there's also thousands of university graduates each year entering the pharmaceutical and IT industries for example. just look at all the recent job announcements here (1,400+ since the start of the month), the vast majority are of a high standard well paid roles > http://www.siliconrepublic.com/topics/jobs-announcements/ 

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Jul 2022 at 10:13am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:21am

Donagh O'Malley was Minister of Ed who rocked the system in 68 with "free" second level education. It took a lot longer for it to have an impact because those who bought their high paying public service jobs remained in place for a long time and to a degree it continued on because they could afford to send their kids to university in the 1980s, and so it continues...the civil war in this country still permeates through official ireland.... 

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 21 Jul 2022 at 10:24am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:23am

Donogh O'Malley, but ye it's definitely been one of the most seminal moments in Irish social history. It was genius to announce it while the Dail was on holidays so it gained serious popularity among the public, making it impossible for the government to reject.

When you compare it to the current government, who seem intent on doing everything to the detriment of the public, it really was a remarkable act.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Donagh O'Malley was Minister of Ed who rocked the system in 68 with "free" second level education. It took a lot longer for it to have an impact because those who bought their high paying public service jobs remained in place for a long time and to a degree it continued on because they could afford to send their kids to university in the 1980s, and so it continues...the civil war in this country still permeates through official ireland.... 

Absolute sh*te talk.  Those who get privately educated would look down on a job ib the civil service even at the highest levels.  

Many people who grew up in council houses have got to the very top of the public service on merit.  That doesnt happen ib many other countries. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Absolute sh*te talk.  Those who get privately educated would look down on a job ib the civil service even at the highest levels.  

Many people who grew up in council houses have got to the very top of the public service on merit.  That doesnt happen ib many other countries. 

have to agree with baldrick on this one. not just the civil service but in many walks of life have people come out of council houses and done great things. one example is fintan o'toole who was explaining on a podcast a few weeks ago that he grew up in a council estate in i think crumlin. his older brother was the first in the family to avail of free second level education and he himself admitted he would never have gone on to second level and subsequently graduate from ucd was it not for free education. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:46am

have to agree with baldrick on this one. not just the civil service but in many walks of life have people come out of council houses and done great things. one example is fintan o'toole who was explaining on a podcast a few weeks ago that he grew up in a council estate in i think crumlin. his older brother was the first in the family to avail of free second level education and he himself admitted he would never have gone on to second level and subsequently graduate from ucd was it not for free education. 
By citing "success stories" of people who came from council houses (or corporation houses to use the Irish vernacular) only reinforces the reality that people from council houses are disenfranchised to start with and the system is rigged.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:58am

By citing "success stories" of people who came from council houses (or corporation houses to use the Irish vernacular) only reinforces the reality that people from council houses are disenfranchised to start with and the system is rigged.

It’s not about success stories. You made a specific allegation which may have been true in 1950s but it is not true in 2022 and has certainly not been true for 40 or so years. 

As I said those who go to private school do not tend to end up in the public service. 

The PS is made up of people who grew up in private and public housing at every level.  It’s not about highlighting success stories its just showing the Public service is not made up of the privately educated and growing up in a council house is not a hindrance to progressing with the service.  

By the way corporation house is only related to Dublin in the main as it was councils outside Dublin and it was a corpo house in Dublin. 

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Jul 2022 at 11:59am
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:01pm

ok now you're sounding like a whacky conspiracy theorist. 

all i merely demonstrated was free education has provided opportunities where none existed before. ireland has become a far more egalitarian and wealthy society because of free education and one could say less "rigged" as a result.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:06pm
It’s in no way ‘rigged’, and it’s an absurd claim to make about most European social democracies. That doesn’t mean that lower socio-economic means create disadvantage and disenfranchisement. But that is different to the “American Dream” narrative where the skids are put on it by the massive cost of things like healthcare, tertiary education etc. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:27pm

It’s not about success stories. You made a specific allegation which may have been true in 1950s but it is not true in 2022 and has certainly not been true for 40 or so years. 

As I said those who go to private school do not tend to end up in the public service. 

The PS is made up of people who grew up in private and public housing at every level.  It’s not about highlighting success stories its just showing the Public service is not made up of the privately educated and growing up in a council house is not a hindrance to progressing with the service.  

By the way corporation house is only related to Dublin in the main as it was councils outside Dublin and it was a corpo house in Dublin. 
Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it. Can you clarify if Cork Corporation, Limerick Corporation, Galway Corporation etc. are a figment of my imagination ? Starting to doubt myself...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:33pm
That is why I said in the main. The corpos went on to Cecile
City councils.  The vast majority of the country was county councils with those cities having corpos.  

Your first point regarding privately educated people and the civil service is rubbish and your points have been shown to be cliches class warrior nonsense.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s in no way ‘rigged’, and it’s an absurd claim to make about most European social democracies. That doesn’t mean that lower socio-economic means create disadvantage and disenfranchisement. But that is different to the “American Dream” narrative where the skids are put on it by the massive cost of things like healthcare, tertiary education etc. 

you can look a bit closer to home. in england the vast majority of places at third level are fee paying (somewhere in the region of £10k per year). as a result of government policies the divide between rich and poor is significant and growing. statistics in the uk show if you're from an underprivileged family the chances are you'll struggle to get out of that rut. 

while ireland has its problems it is far more equal providing opportunities for society as a whole.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:53pm

City councils.  The vast majority of the country was county councils with those cities having corpos.  

Your first point regarding privately educated people and the civil service is rubbish and your points have been shown to be cliches class warrior nonsense.  
Don't see where I referred to private schools...the point I made was that prior to 1968 and the introduction of free secondary school (is it really free if there is a back to school allowance paid to people on low incomes), a large number of people who could afford a full secondary school got good jobs in the PS as a LC was a requirement for certain positions.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:02pm

Don't see where I referred to private schools...the point I made was that prior to 1968 and the introduction of free secondary school (is it really free if there is a back to school allowance paid to people on low incomes), a large number of people who could afford a full secondary school got good jobs in the PS as a LC was a requirement for certain positions.

You said they bought their education and got good positions in the civil service and it continues to this day.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:28pm

You said they bought their education and got good positions in the civil service and it continues to this day.  
And I stand by that, the better education a person can afford in the main results in better qualifications and with it greater opportunities. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic