You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Real Madrid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:25pm
If we're really honest the biggest upset is Internazionale winning the CL...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:26pm
You are attempting to fundamentally redefine and narrow the argument by disregarding the Barcelona defeats mentioned as well. You made a very broad sweeping assertion and yet you refuse to engage with anything that doesn't meet your very narrow and specific definition of what constitutes an upset. You cannot change the argument. The 7-0 Bayern win over Barca was an upset and a massive one.

Obviously these are not European club competition but the United v Arsenal 8-2 was a massive upset, the Germany v Brazil 7-1 World Cup semi final was a massive upset and the England v Hungary 3-6 was a massive upset. You cannot say that they "don't count" just because the winner wasn't an upset even though the manner was. It all has to be considered. I'm just giving those as examples of what constitutes an upset. It doesn't have to be one team knocking out another that constitutes an upset.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 10 Mar 2015 at 11:38pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If we are going down the biggest upsets in Europe ever.

off the top of my head.

Depor 4 Milan 0

Metz knocking Barcelona out after losing 4-2 at home.

Steaua winning it

Aberdeen winning the ECWC

Wrexham knocking out Porto

Norwich beating Bayern

Tblisi beating Liverpool

Artmedia beating Celtic by 5

Cska Sofia knocking out the great Ajax

That's one of your funnier jokes Clap Clap Clap

I had Celtic backed that night. We were 8/11.   Based on a game where the away team are similar odds, Bristol City going to walsall in the JPT next week, they correct score would be 500/1
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:40pm
So everytime Bale gets the ball, the white hankies come out and the whistles start.

Massively unpopular figure in Madrid now, en route back to England in the summer?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:51pm
Bale has to suck it up or sling his hook. If he didn't kNow what the fans are like he shouldn't have gone. He's playing sh*te and so are his team mates.

Once they start playing as a team again, he'll be adored again.

That's Madrid for you. They still clapped off the Schalke team too.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
He has been unpopular for quite a while now.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You are attempting to fundamentally redefine and narrow the argument by disregarding the Barcelona defeats mentioned as well. You made a very broad sweeping assertion and yet you refuse to engage with anything that doesn't meet your very narrow and specific definition of what constitutes an upset. You cannot change the argument. The 7-0 Bayern win over Barca was an upset and a massive one.

Obviously these are not European club competition but the United v Arsenal 8-2 was a massive upset, the Germany v Brazil 7-1 World Cup semi final was a massive upset and the England v Hungary 3-6 was a massive upset. You cannot say that they "don't count" just because the winner wasn't an upset even though the manner was. It all has to be considered. I'm just giving those as examples of what constitutes an upset. It doesn't have to be one team knocking out another that constitutes an upset.

SuperD, by your logic Man United winning the European Cup in 1999 is by far the greatest shock in European Cup history. At 1 nil down in  injury time, you could named your price on them to win that game in normal time.

My logic is simple. The European Champions were playing a really average team at home.  A team who have done nothing of note in the knockout stages besides being trounced by the same opposition last year and losing the 1st leg in an absolute whimper. Very rarely has a 2 goal away lead been over turned in European Cup 2 leg history. Very rarely and I'd love to see the exact stats. I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say that a 2 goal away lead has never been thrown away by the reigning champions on home turf. This is my logic. Fairly straight forward and the only example of such a shock of a result I have seen posted so far is the Milan-Depo one which is right up there. 

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 12:09am
Munich beating Barca 7-0 was not a massive shock.

I backed Munich -2 at home and -1 away.

I posted this on the lsl forum before both matches.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

SuperD, by your logic Man United winning the European Cup in 1999 is by far the greatest shock in European Cup history. At 1 nil down in  injury time, you could named your price on them to win that game in normal time.

My logic is simple. The European Champions were playing a really average team at home.  A team who have done nothing of note in the knockout stages besides being trounced by the same opposition last year and losing the 1st leg in an absolute whimper. Very rarely has a 2 goal away lead been over turned in European Cup 2 leg history. Very rarely and I'd love to see the exact stats. I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say that a 2 goal away lead has never been thrown away by the reigning champions on home turf. This is my logic. Fairly straight forward and the only example of such a shock of a result I have seen posted so far is the Milan-Depo one which is right up there. 

Well, the first part of your statement is a bit of a straw man. Obviously, United's comeback was unlikely (well, they needed one goal as injury time started, so not *that* unlikely, especially for *that* team) but it doesn't mean your argument is correct and mine incorrect nor close to it. If anything, an argument with a broad definition of an upset, which might include the United win, is better than one with a narrow definition, which only covers comebacks and little else that I can see. What I was arguing was that upset doesn't have the narrow definition you seek to ascribe to it. You are still seeking to qualify "upset" with a narrow and specific example and continue to refuse to engage with any other definition of upset. I know that a 2-0 lead from an away tie has rarely (maybe never) been turned over. We'll see next week if Arsenal can turn over Monaco (obviously different teams) but the scenario is the same. It doesn't mean it would be the biggest upset ever or that comebacks of that ilk have a special right to qualify as a superior upset over any other type of upset.

You made a sweeping assertion. Look, it would have been a massive upset but I just don't think you can say "biggest ever". You attempted to qualify it even further just now by saying that "a 2 goal away lead has never been thrown away by the reigning champions on home turf" but that is in no way synonymous with being the biggest upset in the history of European football. Obviously if Schalke had won it would have been crazy and maybe the first time it had ever happened but that is a very specific thing and doesn't make it the biggest upset ever.

You still haven't given a valid reason as to why massive victories don't qualify as upsets. Do you reckon Barca and Real fans were massively upset after those defeats and didn't see them coming? Schalke winning may have been one of the most unlikely second leg comebacks but upsets come in many forms.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Mar 2015 at 12:27am
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 6:36am
Hearing that Schalke had of beaten Real Madrid would not have shocked too many I dont think, regardless of odds in bookies. Likewise hearing that they nearly did them didnt ruffle my particular feathers this morning. hardly shocking stuff......
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 7:20am
3 pages arguing over something that didn't happen, it's like the LOI section

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:29pm
Assistant Manager Paul Clement the bookies favourite for the permanent Sunderland Manager post.

Do La Liga fans think he'd make a good Manager? Obviously has a good record as a coach but the 2 are different.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:10am

Napoli's former Chelsea and Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, 55, is the strong favourite to take over at Real Madrid following the departure of Carlo Ancelotti. (Guardian) 

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 5:45am

Paris St-Germain had a £110m bid for Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, rejected on transfer deadline day. (Daily Express via Globo Esporte) 

HelloBarry View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelloBarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Paris St-Germain had a £110m bid for Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, rejected on transfer deadline day. http://www.express.co.uk/s/football/603399/Paris-Saint-Germain-110m-Bid-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Manchester-United-Transfer-Target - (Daily Express via Globo Esporte) 

Really? I doubt that this one happened I believe CR7 have a £1 billion release clause. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:10pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:20pm
An excuse to sack Rafa ? TJ could yet get his wish
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:05am
Madness. They're f**ked!
Ahh heya!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic