Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rangers Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 544545546547548 667>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:00am
Why put those links in this thread when they are from Sutton and Lennon?

Also, is this Lennon trebling down? You'd think it best given the run of form they are on to leave it. Also, if Lennon cant understand the difference between the Dubai trip, and other examples, well, there is little that can be done.
Sponsored Links

Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

A lot of football supporters have gone well and truly down the rabbit hole and you can see how Trumpism and Brexit took hold from examining the online behaviour of football supporters

Celtic supporters with their imaginary illuminati 5G conspiracies that the world is out to get them

Manchester City supporters taking on the role of shameless apologists for a despotic Middle Eastern regime

Liverpool supporters and indeed the club as a whole did it with the Luis Suarez racism thing

Newcastle supporters would have been the exact same as Manchester City supporters had Saudi Arabia taken them over

For years supporters of other clubs have tried to wind up Liverpool supporters over Hillsborough, claiming Liverpool fans were to blame

Death threats and racist abuse against players are commonplace

Be much more in Celtic supporters' line to complain about the club's disgraceful Catholic Church-style reaction to the report on child sex abuse than about the "masonic hun bassas" they see when they open a drawer

Thanks for throwing in how I would of behaved if something had happened. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:35am
Liverpool fans of course would have been totally different.........

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

A lot of football supporters have gone well and truly down the rabbit hole and you can see how Trumpism and Brexit took hold from examining the online behaviour of football supporters

Celtic supporters with their imaginary illuminati 5G conspiracies that the world is out to get them

Manchester City supporters taking on the role of shameless apologists for a despotic Middle Eastern regime

Liverpool supporters and indeed the club as a whole did it with the Luis Suarez racism thing

Newcastle supporters would have been the exact same as Manchester City supporters had Saudi Arabia taken them over

For years supporters of other clubs have tried to wind up Liverpool supporters over Hillsborough, claiming Liverpool fans were to blame

Be much more in Celtic supporters' line to complain about the club's disgraceful Catholic Church-style reaction to the report on child sex abuse than about the "masonic hun bassas" they see when they open a drawer

97% of Newcastle supporters were in favour of the Saudi takeover

If you were one of the 3% well fair play to ya

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Liverpool fans of course would have been totally different.........

No the likelihood is the vast majority wouldn't

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:45am

If you were one of the 3% well fair play to ya

At the time, and I was critical of this, a lot of Newcastle fans generated this narrative that was somewhat fatalistic and phrased it rhetorically as "what can we do, this is in the boardroom?" This came from fans who have been very public in their protests towards the administration, previous administration, and decisions taken in relation to the playing staff. It smelt a little disingenuous last April when they seemed to take the fatalistic approach when it appeared that the could get rid of the current administration, and enhance their financial position, to rival other major teams, at the same time.

Edited by Het-field - 20 Feb 2021 at 10:45am
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

It's roughly the same amount of people in the region who gives a sh*t. The North East does not care about politics so politicising football is even worse.

Just look what the region has voted for or been in favour of in recent times and you'll realise you've more chance of a response from a deaf mute than trying to politicise anything in the North East.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 11:13am

Football fans, including obviously Ireland fans, passionately wanting to qualify for a tournament where our flag will be flown over a stadium built by hundreds of dead, horribly treated immigrants. This one really bothers me. Nothing would make me happier and prouder than a full boycott but that will never happen. I don't want Ireland represented at this tournament 

Also thought Liverpool had a chance last year to make a real statement. A club with supposedly historic social ideals. But nah, World Champions!

Often wonder what Shankley would have done. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

It's roughly the same amount of people in the region who gives a sh*t. The North East does not care about politics so politicising football is even worse.

Just look what the region has voted for or been in favour of in recent times and you'll realise you've more chance of a response from a deaf mute than trying to politicise anything in the North East.

The difficulty is, over time, football has become deeply political, and on a number of levels. And that's over decades. I'm not a major fan of it, simply because its seems to be the most binary of politics. But its the way of the world.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Football fans, including obviously Ireland fans, passionately wanting to qualify for a tournament where our flag will be flown over a stadium built by hundreds of dead, horribly treated immigrants. This one really bothers me. Nothing would make me happier and prouder than a full boycott but that will never happen. I don't want Ireland represented at this tournament 

Also thought Liverpool had a chance last year to make a real statement. A club with supposedly historic social ideals. But nah, World Champions!

Often wonder what Shankley would have done. 
As a Liverpool supporter I have boastfully and trollfully exclaimed "World Champions" about LFC

But I agree with you that the place where they won was built on blood

It would have been a statement of real social idealism to not participate and it probably would have been a prouder boast to have have done that

Wasn't the intercontinental competition abandoned for years because of the 1968 Estudiantes-Manchester United clash and it being deemed to be too dirty or European clubs basically saying that "we're not risking our players being injured"

The thing about all these things is there are so many bad faith operators out there just dying to scream "hypocrisy" to prevent any sort of positive social change

Or else they launch bad faith cries of "racism"

This the ludicrous Louise Mensch style attitude when she was on Have I Got News for You and tried to ridicule the Occupy protestors for having a cup of coffee - "they want all that capitalism brings"

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:52pm
Its a glorified friendly tournament anyway that world club championship. A good way of proving this when any Liverpool fan denies it is to ask them to name the last 5 winners of it. Or ask if they watched this year's tournament last week, or even knew it was on. 

Anyway, lets leave this thread back to Tony, he'll think the huns have gone bust again when he logs on and sees so much activity
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The difficulty is, over time, football has become deeply political, and on a number of levels. And that's over decades. I'm not a major fan of it, simply because its seems to be the most binary of politics. But its the way of the world.
And absolutely everything is political. It cannot be avoided. Everything about football is political and has been from the very beginning, trying to pretend otherwise is willful ignorance.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:44pm

Why put those links in this thread when they are from Sutton and Lennon?

Also, is this Lennon trebling down? You'd think it best given the run of form they are on to leave it. Also, if Lennon cant understand the difference between the Dubai trip, and other examples, well, there is little that can be done.
Correct. Dubai was my moment of realisation that Celtic are as much of a franchise as the EPL teams. The level of arrogance involved was a disgrace. 
What were they trying to say to the community that makes up their fantasy there? Similarly with the continued attitude to the victims of security abuse at Celtic. It's a disgrace. The club is run for a group of old Tories to make a few quid and nothing else. It's like supporting Dyson.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And absolutely everything is political. It cannot be avoided. Everything about football is political and has been from the very beginning, trying to pretend otherwise is willful ignorance.

Sorry PM, its not. Thats a binary of recent years.

Also, I never said it was historically political. Just that it has accelerated. I do take your point its long term/

Edited by Het-field - 20 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm

It can’t be avoided but the general consensus is that is this person in the best interests of the football club - The Saudi’s were voted overwhelmingly yes. Paolo Di Canio and the backlash he brought was majorly voted yes. Political backgrounds do raise questions but it ultimately boils down to their intentions. 

Edited by coyne - 20 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm

Sorry PM, its not. Thats a binary of recent years.

Also, I never said it was historically political. Just that it has accelerated. I do take your point its long term/
In recent years it has become binary, but everything is political in its truest sense. Every action we take or make is based on either or own norm and values, those imposed on us by society and government and our feelings in doing them. I agree it has become bizarrely binary in recent years, to the point where liberalism and socialism keep being flung in together, much to my chagrin, but everything is political; but politics isn't everything!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:51pm

It can’t be avoided but the general consensus is that is this person in the best interests of the football club - The Saudi’s were voted overwhelmingly yes. Paolo Di Canio and the backlash was majorly voted yes. Political backgrounds do raise questions but it ultimately boils down to their intentions. 

Itcannot be deemed a football club if the owners are buying it solely to launder their reputation in Europe. Newcastle fans can think it is in the best interest of the team they support, but it is no longer their club in the same way as the shop down the road isn't my Tesco.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:06pm

In recent years it has become binary, but everything is political in its truest sense. Every action we take or make is based on either or own norm and values, those imposed on us by society and government and our feelings in doing them. I agree it has become bizarrely binary in recent years, to the point where liberalism and socialism keep being flung in together, much to my chagrin, but everything is political; but politics isn't everything!

Thats a very interesting and compelling way of looking at it, tbh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 544545546547548 667>
  Share Topic