You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Railway Strikes at Euro 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Travelling on an SNCF train from Geneva to Lyon on Thursday June 16th. Anyone know if cross border train services will be affected?
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Due to get a train on the Weds from Paris to Bordeaux, the f**k am I supposed to do if theres a strike on the Weds AND the Thurs?

Airbnb is for Weds-Sun.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Due to get a train on the Weds from Paris to Bordeaux, the f**k am I supposed to do if theres a strike on the Weds AND the Thurs?

Airbnb is for Weds-Sun.

Could see if you could cancel your hotel for the lastnight and get the overnight ouibus for €9, leaves at 10.30 arrives at 6.30 am. Not ideal but mightn't be much more options
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:46pm
Cross border trains generally not affected so the Geneva Lyon one should be fine.

If you are on a normal TGV (not IDTGV, not Ouigo), you will almost certainly be allowed to travel on any other TGV on the same day or the following day, albeit you might not be guaranteed a seat.

Turn up and if your train is cancelled, you should be okay to get on the next one going the same route. Keep an eye on the website beforehand too.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Cross border trains generally not affected so the Geneva Lyon one should be fine.

If you are on a normal TGV (not IDTGV, not Ouigo), you will almost certainly be allowed to travel on any other TGV on the same day or the following day, albeit you might not be guaranteed a seat.

Turn up and if your train is cancelled, you should be okay to get on the next one going the same route. Keep an eye on the website beforehand too.

We're travelling on a regular TGV thank God. It would be a pain in the arse having to wait a few hours for the next but it's far better than having to get an 8 hour bus down.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 12:05am
Yeah, the IDTGV could end up being a simple refund, and the full price ones are over a hundred quid, which would be more than a pain in the arse.

Still, so long as they stick to Wednesdays and Thursdays, we'll all be grand.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 12:53am

Yeah, the IDTGV could end up being a simple refund, and the full price ones are over a hundred quid, which would be more than a pain in the arse.

Still, so long as they stick to Wednesdays and Thursdays, we'll all be grand.

We're travelling on a Thursday and I imagine a fair few will be on the Wednesday so not really!
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:32am
so is it just Wednesday and Thursday they striking on at the minute. if it is should be ok for all my transport as only tine travelling on either day is train back to amsterdam on the 23rd and assume it won't be affected seeing as it's a Thalys service
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
stiffler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:41am
Will this affect the TGV Atlantic train from Paris to Bordeaux on Wed 15th June?

What's the alternatives if it is ?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:51am

thanks SD. There's at least two more trains after mine that I can get which would still get me to Lyon in time for the Ukraine v NI match.

Of all the trains booked only one is an iDTGV train and that's on a Sunday. Everything will hopefully be OK.

Edited by colemanY2K - 18 May 2016 at 6:55am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
barryn466 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barryn466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:23am
I am travelling on thursday the 16th june from paris to bordeaux on tgv at 12.24 will this be affected so?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:41am
How's France setup for intercity busses? Currently I'm on a Lourdes - Bordeaux train on the Thursday, could be at risk of the strikes. Would prefere to go via bus rather than miss a night in Bordeaux
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:45am
the controversial labour reforms are being pushed through by hollande and his ministry saying that previous governments failed to do it so they have to do it. it is changes to the way in which contracts are controlled etc. at the moment, it is near on impossible to fire someone in france and because of this companies are only willing to hire people on contracts rather than making them permanent. but those contracts can only last up to 18 months. realistically the changes should help solve issues with the high unemployment levels up those under 30, but typical French never accept change in any format. should try and check out videos of the protests (manifestations) from yesterday. the normal protesters were overtaken by proper rioters who came with bats, balaclavas, helmets etc. full out riot with the police!

and now the police are protesting today on the back of the all of the hatred towards them!!

the French eh...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:02am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

the controversial labour reforms are being pushed through by hollande and his ministry saying that previous governments failed to do it so they have to do it. it is changes to the way in which contracts are controlled etc. at the moment, it is near on impossible to fire someone in france and because of this companies are only willing to hire people on contracts rather than making them permanent. but those contracts can only last up to 18 months. realistically the changes should help solve issues with the high unemployment levels up those under 30, but typical French never accept change in any format. should try and check out videos of the protests (manifestations) from yesterday. the normal protesters were overtaken by proper rioters who came with bats, balaclavas, helmets etc. full out riot with the police!

and now the police are protesting today on the back of the all of the hatred towards them!!

the French eh...

It’s the same here. I’ve been in and out of contract positions for the last 3 years with a jobridge thrown in for good measure.

My Euro’s trip is entirely dependent on my contract being renewed at the end of this month. The company I’m contracted with in my current placement only renew every 2 months.

Pain in the hole  Ouch

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
MarkBeaumont View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkBeaumont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:55pm
Some sources have reported that there will be an on-going SNCF strike on Wednesdays and Thursdays. This has not been confirmed by SNCF and so far is only speculative. If you are booked to travel within the coming few weeks, we recommend checking this page for updated information.

This is on the captaintrain site now.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by barryn466 barryn466 wrote:

I am travelling on thursday the 16th june from paris to bordeaux on tgv at 12.24 will this be affected so?

As said just above those of us with TGV will have a chance our train is running and if it's not we will be allowed on another TGV later in the day although maybe not guaranteed a seat.

So considering your train is early and there's plenty after if it's cancelled you should be OK with just a few hour delay. Still a pain in the fookin hole
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by stiffler stiffler wrote:

Will this affect the TGV Atlantic train from Paris to Bordeaux on Wed 15th June?

What's the alternatives if it is ?

Answered this about four posts above:

The repetition of questions that have already been answered is really, really starting to annoy the f**k out of me.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:16pm
How reliable are Quibus?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic