You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Railway Strikes at Euro 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:05am
If they go ahead can you still get a train on the same day it's just you might be delayed 5/6 hours?
Sponsored Links

Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

If they go ahead can you still get a train on the same day it's just you might be delayed 5/6 hours?

Yeah, fairly likely. Rail strikes in France rarely shut down the whole network but reduce service to half or two-thirds of regular operations. It could be chaotic but you won't be stranded.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Ticket allocation panic - check
Ticket delivery panic - check
transportation strike panic - check

There was a thread a few weeks ago about an earthquake near to Bordeaux so I'd like to get that included.

Earthquake panic - check.

Also, won't someone please think of the children? That is all.

Edited by Paulie - 14 May 2016 at 11:10am
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:42pm
As has been pointed out, chances are you'll be grand.

There are some issues with those booked on IDTGV and Ouigo services, as they are often only given a refund in the event of a cancellation, not a re-routing. Anyone on a normal TGV service should be given the option to re-route.

For the vast majority of us, this should not be an issue. Most people are travelling out to Paris at any stage from the Friday to the Monday: no issues there. Almost everyone is making their way down to Bordeaux / La Rochelle on the Tuesday: no issues there. Just about everyone is making their way back up to Lille on the Monday or the Tuesday, rather than the matchday Wednesday: no issues there.

The only potential problems are those that might occur on the 23rd June, the day after the last group match. Hopefully that won't be a problem, however, given that over 40% of trains should run.

There are also, potentially, problems for those planning on taking trains on the matchday on the 22nd to Lille. Advice would be to keep on top of it early, and re-route if necessary. Ordinary Belgian trains should be running to Kortrijk and Tournai, just over the border from Lille, which will be useful for those coming from Brussels. From Paris, the majority of TGVs should still be running, so it will be grand.

Also, the Lille metro is driverless, and I'd like to see even a French designed driverless metro try to go on strike.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 16 May 2016 at 2:56pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:50pm
SD Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 3:49pm
Great information Dave!
A question for you do you know if the Eurostar will be affected by this strike?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 3:52pm
Last time around, they apparently ran a "near normal" service. There could be one or two cancellations but you'll be able to rebook onto another train, quite likely on the same day.

I imagine if you are affected and plead with them enough, they'll bump you up a class if you really have to travel on an affected day.

If you aren't travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday, though, you have nothing to worry about, by the look of it.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Last time around, they apparently ran a "near normal" service. There could be one or two cancellations but you'll be able to rebook onto another train, quite likely on the same day.

I imagine if you are affected and plead with them enough, they'll bump you up a class if you really have to travel on an affected day.

If you aren't travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday, though, you have nothing to worry about, by the look of it.

Sadly I am travelling from Paris to bordeaux on a Thursday.

It's SNCF and a regular TGV.

On a side note the prices have gone from the 20 euro I paid to 148!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 5:43pm
Well, you should be okay. It will be clear closer to the time, but if your train is cancelled, chances are you will be allowed to travel on any TGV on that date, albeit there could be some overcrowding and you might not be guaranteed a seat.

The voyages-sncf website will have more detail closer to the time. And sure the strike could even be called off in the meantime.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:21am
just to give an update on all the travel strikes going on at the moment:

Trains and public transport

The RATP, the company which organises Paris's public transport, is currently reporting a normal service on all of the RATP and SNCF lines on its website, although two Metro stations - Ecole Militaire and Varenne - are closed due to public demonstrations.

However, the SNCF has advised travellers to cancel or rearrange any train journeys planned for Wednesday or Thursday if possible, due to disruptions from the strike.

The rail strike, called by two of its workers' four unions (CGT et Sud Rail) will last from Wednesday until 8am on Friday morning, with a limited service running during that time. On the Marseille-Nice line, for example, just one out of eight scheduled trains will be running.

Rail workers are not only striking in protest of the labour laws, but also over long-running industry negotiations.

Workers said last week that planned to hold rolling strikes every Wednesday and Thursday from this week onward, right up until the Euro 2016 championships in July.

You can follow the SNCF's service updates on their website.

Buses will also be affected, including school buses, with no buses at all running in Antibes between 10am and 3pm on Tuesday. There will also be severe disruptions to bus services in Nice and Grasse. In Paris, several bus routes will be diverted during the afternoon of Tuesday, due to the planned protest marches.

On Tuesday, two out of every three TGV trains will be running on average, two of every five Intercite trains, and one in two TER trains. However, international lines including the Eurostar should be running as normal.

In Paris, the RER will be affected on Tuesday too, particularly line E which will have just one in three trains in service. Two of every three scheduled trains will be running on lines A, C and D, while the RER B will be almost at full service with four out of five trains running.

Air travel

Both of Paris's airports - Orly and CDG - will be disrupted from Tuesday onwards, due to a strike by technicians, engineers and air traffic controllers called by the DGAC. Anyone planning to fly into or out of Paris this week should contact their airline beforehand to see if their flight is affected.

A 24-hour strike has been called for Tuesday by the CGT union, which could be extended further, and a separate union has called a 24-hour strike starting at 11am on Thursday, reported Le Monde. 20 percent of flights were cancelled at Orly Airport during the last strike, however the full impact the strike will have on Paris's airports is not yet known.

Roads

Early on Tuesday morning, truck drivers caused blockages around several roads, mainly in the north of the country, however by rush hour the majority of blockages had been cleared.

However, further road blocks are possible on Tuesday, particularly in Nantes, Caen, Marseille, Bordeaux and the north, but not in the Ile-de-France region.

Ports

Two 24-hour strikes have been called by port and dock workers' unions on Tuesday and Thursday, so disruptions to ferry routes are likely.

moanermufc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moanermufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:47am
Looks like this will affect me getting from Saint Etienne to Bordeaux on the 15th after Portugal v Iceland. Will the Euro 2016 TGVs be affected by this proposed strike? Was hoping to get the 1am train on the 15th back to Paris then straight down to Bordeaux.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:06pm
FFS. I hate the French enough already but I'm honestly never going back to France again after the euros.

So will the SNCF TGV from Paris to bordeaux be affected by this? This is going to cause f**king chaos for football fans travelling to the euros. What a bunch of ****s striking during this.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:23pm

FFS. I hate the French enough already but I'm honestly never going back to France again after the euros.

So will the SNCF TGV from Paris to bordeaux be affected by this? This is going to cause f**king chaos for football fans travelling to the euros. What a bunch of ****s striking during this.

Couldn't agree more
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:49pm
Buddy of mine lives in Northern Spain. He was due to fly over to me from Biarittz a few months ago and the air traffic controllers called a last minute strike. He received notification 12 hours before his flight was due to leave. The French are always at this.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Buddy of mine lives in Northern Spain. He was due to fly over to me from Biarittz a few months ago and the air traffic controllers called a last minute strike. He received notification 12 hours before his flight was due to leave. The French are always at this.

It's funny their economy is really struggling because the dim wits striked against any and every proposed cut during the recession. Even when they were obviously needed. Now the economy is stagnant and not growing and they're getting all pissy because they can't get whet they want. Makes me angry there are people starving in this world and these f**ks won't even do their jobs for already good money.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:23pm
So our internal flights could be cancelled as well?

Not using the Orly to Bordeaux on the Tuesday (anyone wants to look at name change PM me... we have about 10 seats not been used) so could get a refund lol

Bordeaux to Lille, if that is cancelled will make the journey interesting

As other posters already said, I hate France, hope we never play them again or have to play in France. 
I know nothing :-)
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It's funny their economy is really struggling because the dim wits striked against any and every proposed cut during the recession. Even when they were obviously needed. Now the economy is stagnant and not growing and they're getting all pissy because they can't get whet they want. Makes me angry there are people starving in this world and these f**ks won't even do their jobs for already good money.

This has nothing to do with more money and all to do with controversial labour law reforms which will adversely effect all French workers & as such is guaranteed to create industrial mayhem across all sectors - obviously the hope is that all will be sorted prior to the competition
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:34pm
Not travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday thank god so should be okay, wouldn't be surprised if this escalated closer to the tournament though.
f**king French, they ruined France
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic