You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Railway Strikes at Euro 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:33pm
Went to the train station in Paris to print my Sncf tickets to La Rochelle,entered my code that was emailed to me upon purchase 3 months previous,inserted the credit card used to make the booking,machine asked me for a 4 digit code for the card of which i had no idea,bird in the ticket office couldn't explain it either,she told me i could book again for the same price and could cancel my old booking and get a full refund,so i booked again but when i tried to cancel,the website said i would only get 20% of my money back,showed it to her and she gave me a full refund!

Funny thing was,no one checked our tickets on the train from Paris to Niort or on the bus to La Rochelle.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Sponsored Links

bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:54pm
Any train I was on throughout the whole euros and in Switzerland never once checked for tickets would have given me a lot of money left over for beering
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Any train I was on throughout the whole euros and in Switzerland never once checked for tickets would have given me a lot of money left over for beering

Got checked getting on the train from Gare de Nord to Lille - Outside of that, took 4 other train journeys and wasn't checked on any of them.

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Got checked getting on the train from Gare de Nord to Lille - Outside of that, took 4 other train journeys and wasn't checked on any of them.

Ticket checked from Tours to Bordeaux , Paris to Brussels checked , Paris to Lille also checked and a train late night through Brussels central to the airport also checked . No ticket for the Brussels airport leg and made buy a "expensive" ticket €15.60 .
Luck of the draw I suppose

Never buy a ticket going in and out of the Aviva doh
okidoki987 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okidoki987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Went to the train station in Paris to print my Sncf tickets to La Rochelle,entered my code that was emailed to me upon purchase 3 months previous,inserted the credit card used to make the booking,machine asked me for a 4 digit code for the card of which i had no idea,

I think that might be the last 4 digits of the card used for the booking?
Have a feeling I was asked for the same on a booking (not for a train ticket though) and after some time eventually got it with the last 4 digits.

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by okidoki987 okidoki987 wrote:

Went to the train station in Paris to print my Sncf tickets to La Rochelle,entered my code that was emailed to me upon purchase 3 months previous,inserted the credit card used to make the booking,machine asked me for a 4 digit code for the card of which i had no idea,

Have a feeling I was asked for the same on a booking (not for a train ticket though) and after some time eventually got it with the last 4 digits.

No i tried that.
ybigeejit View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybigeejit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:07pm

Went to the train station in Paris to print my Sncf tickets to La Rochelle,entered my code that was emailed to me upon purchase 3 months previous,inserted the credit card used to make the booking,machine asked me for a 4 digit code for the card of which i had no idea,bird in the ticket office couldn't explain it either,she told me i could book again for the same price and could cancel my old booking and get a full refund,so i booked again but when i tried to cancel,the website said i would only get 20% of my money back,showed it to her and she gave me a full refund!

Funny thing was,no one checked our tickets on the train from Paris to Niort or on the bus to La Rochelle.

Similar happened me. The code you needed to enter is the pin on the card. I entered this and then the machine told me there was no tickets booked with my card. This part was true as I'd lost a wallet in April and cancelled the cards etc.

Went to the office and the girl told me I'd have to buy a new ticket at the same price and that I could go on their website and look for a refund for the original amount. The link she gave me was to a page in French so I haven't done anything about it yet.

Might have a look now that you've reminded me.

Like yourself ticket never got checked, could have jumped on the train with my email confirmation...
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:35pm

No i tried that.

Yea I used the pin for the card I booked with and the ticket reference number and got my tickets . Defo card PIN number because I booked tickets on 4 different cards and used the different pins on each card to retrieve ticket .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:38pm
Strangely I wasn't asked for my pin when I collected tickets to Geneva at Lyon station.

Edited by colemanY2K - 05 Jul 2016 at 10:38pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Strangely I wasn't asked for my pin when I collected tickets to Geneva at Lyon station.

I was asked for booking reference
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

No i tried that.

Yea I used the pin for the card I booked with and the ticket reference number and got my tickets . Defo card PIN number because I booked tickets on 4 different cards and used the different pins on each card to retrieve ticket .

Thing is ,i don't have a pin number for my credit card ,or if i do, i am not aware of it,just the 3 digit number on the back,never take the card out with me ,only use it for booking or buying online so i was never asked for a 4 digit pin before.

Edited by Salzburglilly - 06 Jul 2016 at 10:29am
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 10:23am
I thought I'd be in a bit of bother when it said you must use the same valid bank card you used making the purchase when collecting your tickets.. I got a new one at the start of the month but luckily kept the old one in my wallet. Yet I was wondering would it accept my old one now that it wasn't valid. Thankfully for 3 journeys, it accepted the card 3 times with no problem. Odd enough
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 11:44am
We took seven separate trains throughout the two weeks and the only ticket check was the morning of the Italy game going from Gare Du Nord to Lille Europe.
Touts Out!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

We took seven separate trains throughout the two weeks and the only ticket check was the morning of the Italy game going from Gare Du Nord to Lille Europe.
Took 6 TGV''s in total. Ticket was checked once from Bordeaux to Paris
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 1:54pm
No check from La Rochelle to Bordeaux or Bordeaux to Tours. I'd fcuked up buying the tickets from Tours to Lille months ago and had ended up getting another Bordeaux to Tours ticket for the 21st instead of Tours to Lille for that date. Prices were over a hundred a pop by the time of the trip so we said we chance it seeing as no one seemed to be checking and play dumb paddy with the inspectors if we got checked. Soon as we got on the train we went down to the dining car as we'd no seats allocated. Soon as the train pulled off the inspectors came down from first class and started checking everyone sitting in the dining car. Didn't bother checking the queue though. We went down to first class to hide as they'd already checked there. They checked all our mates in second class on that trip ad well. Inspectors came back down to first class and sat 2 rows in front of us but didn't check us! Stopped in Paris and people with tickets for the seats we were in got on so we legged it down to the rest of the lads in second class and managed to avoid any checks. Wasn't the most relaxing journey though! Decided to avoid bouncing any trains again although I think the fine is minimal, €20 on top of the fare as far as we could make out.

Got checked from Lille to Lyon and on another journey from Bordeaux to Biarritz with the missus after we got knocked out so they seemed to have picked it up after the first week or so.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 3:27pm
Took the TGV on 7 occasions and had the tickets scanned at the entrance to the platform on 3 occasions (on two of the three occasions it happened in Lyon). Didn't come across any inspectors on the trains.

Edited by colemanY2K - 06 Jul 2016 at 3:29pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 6:25pm
Took 3 tgv and we were checked once by an inspector. In the end wasn't affected by the strikes at all but the stress of it was annoying   took 4 flights too and they also weren't affected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic