You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Saw the screenshot of their group chat. Confused How lads of their age think like this in 2021 is beyond me 

I'm not excusing it whatsoever but I know lads far older than that who engage in similar "bantz". It's lad humour. Shock humour. It belongs in a similar category to people making rape jokes. I wouldn't dream for a second that a lad who makes a rape joke would go out and rape someone so I wouldn't necessarily haul a 17-year-old kid over the coals for being a KKK sympathiser just yet.

People say and do absolutely shocking things on Whatsapp and Snapchat and those platforms seem to encourage that kind of behaviour.

Think of your own whatsapp groups and I'm sure most of you in your twenties and thirties have friends who come out with similar guff.

Then again, they could just be racist. Historically, that's been the case.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Jul 2021 at 1:08pm
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:15am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:33pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:56pm
I’m prob out of touch and maybe this is one for the unpopular opinions thread but does anyone give a fook about this?

In a similar vein, I see Ian Wright was condemning fans calling Keane an Irish c**t last week. Given most people on this forum are Irish, would any of you actually care if someone shouted that at you during a football match?
El Puto Amo
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I’m prob out of touch and maybe this is one for the unpopular opinions thread but does anyone give a fook about this?

In a similar vein, I see Ian Wright was condemning fans calling Keane an Irish c**t last week. Given most people on this forum are Irish, would any of you actually care if someone shouted that at you during a football match?

I've mentioned this before re: Wright but mimicking an Irish accent in front of millions of TV viewers on ITV probably encourages the kind of people who think it's acceptable to call someone an "Irish ****", so he needs to look in the mirror as well.

It continues to amuse me how precious people got about some incendiary comments re: the Orange Order but they don't have any qualms about derogatory language used against Irish people.

To ignore the context behind the Irish **** jibes is to ignore the discrimination and racism faced by Irish people in Britain over the last hundreds of years.

It's barely over a 100 years since Irish people were characterised as being like simians in mainstream English publications. Barely over 50 years since "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" signs were hung up in British businesses.

So, yes, "Irish ****" being used as a derogatory term is troublesome.

Try calling someone a black/Turkish/Russian/Chinese **** and see what happens to you.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:24pm

What was the chant? 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

What was the chant? 

They were calling Gilmour a Chelsea rent boy.
As far as I know, the rent boy reference is attached to Chelsea since they “sold out” to Abrahamovic.

El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:29pm

As far as I know, the rent boy reference is attached to Chelsea since they “sold out” to Abrahamovic.

There is a little bit of history between Liverpool and Chelsea dating back to a fairly famous clash between Le Saux and Fowler.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:48pm
The rent boy song has been about since the 80s. Something to do with a rumour about a Chelsea hooligan being caught by the police in bed with a male prostitute during a raid.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:46pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 6:56am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:39am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:56am

DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 11:35am
U15s Ireland team have players racially abused. Kerry FC have players racially abused last night
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 12:59pm
Sounds like he deserves the increased ban. 

Former Crawley Town manager John Yems has had his suspension from football for making racist comments to players extended until 2026 after a successful appeal by the Football Association.

Yems was found guilty of 11 charges of racist abuse in January and admitted one. He was given a 17-month ban.

The 63-year-old's extended suspension is the longest ban issued to someone in English football for discrimination.

The FA appealed against the sanction on the basis it was "insufficient".

A report from the disciplinary commission had said comments made by Yems were "not a case of conscious racism", which the FA said it "fundamentally disagreed" with.

The appeal board upheld the FA's claim with a subsequent three-year ban issued until January 2026.

"We welcome the verdict from the independent appeal board to suspend John Yems from all football-related activity until January 2026," an FA spokesperson said.

"We strongly disagreed with their original sanction, as well as some of the elements of their judgement, which we fundamentally believed were not appropriate for the severity of the offences committed by John Yems.

"We are pleased that the independent appeal board ruled that specific findings from the Independent Regulatory Commission were unreasonable, as there were numerous examples of inherent and obvious racist language.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 10:16am

Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior said "La Liga belongs to racists" after he was again racially abused by opposition fans during a match.

The 22-year-old Brazil international was sent off for violent conduct in the 97th minute of the 1-0 La Liga defeat at Valencia after an altercation with Hugo Duro.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 10:46pm
It’s a disgrace, and nobody really gives a f**k. If UEFA were bothered enough to properly punish clubs, then, the clubs, in turn, would dish out appropriate punishment to the racist members of their fanbase and there’d be a lot less of this sh*t. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

It’s a disgrace, and nobody really gives a f**k. If UEFA were bothered enough to properly punish clubs, then, the clubs, in turn, would dish out appropriate punishment to the racist members of their fanbase and there’d be a lot less of this sh*t. 

Exactly right clubs should be deducted points too for obvious racism and the sending off was ridiculous.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>
  Share Topic