You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrite problems in houses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:45am
Renting in Dunboyne Castle at the moment and there seems to be a huge pyrite problem with a lot of the houses. It doesnt surprise me as the houses are made of fcuk all. I wouldnt buy a house that was built post 2003 as the quality of materials seems to be very poor as they were just throwing houses up at the time. As someone said earlier, run a mile if there's any suspicion of pyrite.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Ludwig von Drake View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig von Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Ludwig von Drake Ludwig von Drake wrote:

I have a couple of mates in that estate who have never had a problem. There's loads of different parts to the estate so not sure if it was a widespread problem or not. Think some houses may have had remedial work as well so may not be an issue.

Ye heard it is only some parts
Can you find out what part they live in and if they heard anything?
Will do, will prob be tomorrow

Gent

Talked to a few people today Ger but found out fook all unfortunately. One of the lads has been living down there last 3 or 4 years (renting) and said he never heard of any problems at all. One of my mates said he was speaking to a builder a few months ago who discovered traces of pyrite in a house there when he was diggiing foundations for an extension. Didn't know what part of Glen Easton. Spoke to a couple of other mates who never heard of any problems. I'm from Leixlip myself but haven't heard of any problems personally. From what I know, the houses are generally thought of as sound. Obviously, pyrite is probably something that might not be broadcast as it would have such an effect on the price of houses but it might be that there's problems with very few houses. For what it's worth, this is a list of the engineers authorised to test for pyrite:
http://www.engineersireland.ie/services/pyrite-registers/registered-assessors.aspx As far as I know, the owners can claim €500 back from getting the house tested so it might be the case that the sellers have already got the tests already.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

I used property health check when buying the latest addition to the sham empire. Around €300 but they only check what's above ground. Still worth it though. They are very thorough. As for what's in the foundations, maybe bowsies bf can say different, but to check this you need access to the foundation which would involve digging up beside it

Yep that's right Shamser, that is what he said. You need to dig down to the foundations and take a sample of the concrete and test it in a lab. He isnt sure of the price as he doesnt do Pyrite testing Cry

He advised you run a mile if there is even a chance. 

WHAT ARE THE TELL-TALE SIGNS OF PYRITE DAMAGE?

If a building is suspected of having a pyrite problem some of the typical observable signs are:

• Heaving (lifting) of a floor slab resulting in slopes and cracks.
  • Cracks to floor tiles/damage to floor finishes.
  • Uplift at external door thresholds.
  • Doors catching on floors.
  • Cracks over doors on internal walls.
  • Ground floor stud partitions with cracks, bulging of plasterslabs.
  • Horizontal cracking externally at DPC level.
Cool
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:06pm

I have a couple of mates in that estate who have never had a problem. There's loads of different parts to the estate so not sure if it was a widespread problem or not. Think some houses may have had remedial work as well so may not be an issue.

Ye heard it is only some parts
Can you find out what part they live in and if they heard anything?
Will do, will prob be tomorrow

Gent

Talked to a few people today Ger but found out fook all unfortunately. One of the lads has been living down there last 3 or 4 years (renting) and said he never heard of any problems at all. One of my mates said he was speaking to a builder a few months ago who discovered traces of pyrite in a house there when he was diggiing foundations for an extension. Didn't know what part of Glen Easton. Spoke to a couple of other mates who never heard of any problems. I'm from Leixlip myself but haven't heard of any problems personally. From what I know, the houses are generally thought of as sound. Obviously, pyrite is probably something that might not be broadcast as it would have such an effect on the price of houses but it might be that there's problems with very few houses. For what it's worth, this is a list of the engineers authorised to test for pyrite:
http://www.engineersireland.ie/services/pyrite-registers/registered-assessors.aspx As far as I know, the owners can claim €500 back from getting the house tested so it might be the case that the sellers have already got the tests already.

Cheers mate.
Love the look of Leixlip, fingers crossed
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:55pm
Leixlip Co. Kildare or Leixlip Co. Dublin?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:32pm
Kildare Dead
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:59pm

Kildare Dead

mulchie Thumbs Up
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 9:33am
[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate.
Love the look of Leixlip, fingers crossed
[/QUOTE]

Leixlip festival is great craic Clap
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 1:21pm
Damo Dempsey in the courtyard at the festival is always a treat.

Ger what are the viewings like in leixlip, still jungle like proportions?

Lucan is absolute carnage!!
Bohs Till I Die
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 1:31pm
Is Di Vincis Italian still there?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 2:16pm
It is, as is alvitos...the nicer resteurant imo.

Zinc is gone thank god, or the ozone for the older folks!!
Bohs Till I Die
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 12:14pm
I was talking to a mate of mine who was involved in the some structural projects in Clongriffin and Dyrnan Hall both affected by pyrite.

He said you can ask the Dept of Environment to see if a house if affected, but they may not know and\or they may not tell you.

Also, he said that estates that were affected, not all houses tested positive for pyrite, he's also seen houses that had not tested positive for pyrite have structural damage due to the affects of neighbouring houses which were tested positive for pyrite.

Any house remediated for pyrite were given a certificate of compliance.

Some banks may not approve a mortgage for a house affected by pyrite.

The pyrite test consists of drilling into the area above the foundation taking a sample and sending for analysis and costs 1200euro + VAT + engineers fee.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 4:59pm
Gent horsebox

@cotsy lovely three bed. Asking 250, we are highest at 280.
The whole east coast is on the rise. Carnage
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 12:40pm
Christ, 280...f**k me.
Bohs Till I Die
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 12:52pm
Can you go much higher Ger?
How are you playing it also when you are bidding so far. Are you being aggressive and bidding high and making high jumps or going up a grand at a time?
Bohs Till I Die
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:00pm
When we rang them it was at 260 after a couple of viewings.
Went 260 to 262.5 and then to 265.
We viewed when it was 265 and decided to go 270.
Because they last couple of bids went up in 2.5k, we thought going 5 might scare a few.

Was two days after the viewing then someone went 275k. Because it took them a couple of days we hit back straight away with 280k.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:12pm
and absolutely no way of knowing whether there really was bids..... It's a murky process
Cotsy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cotsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm
Is it yours now at 280 if you are happy?

Have been going up 1k at a time but not worth a f**k so am going to start firing in a big one at the start to try and scare ppl straight away from getting involved.

I think im getting an ulcer from the stress, its horrendous.
Bohs Till I Die
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic