Topic: Biggest Football Wasters
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Biggest Football Wasters
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
George Best
Paul Gascoigne
Kezman

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:22pm
Wasters in what context?

Best might have been finished at the top by 26, but was very good to world class between the ages of 17-25. 

Gazza had some great times at Spurs and Rangers.

Kezman scored 275 career goals.

Wasters would be Stephen Ireland, Ravel Morrison, Ihattaren, etc.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:25pm
Best and Gascoigne defo not wasters. The opposite. Balotelli and Stephen Ireland come to mind but only in the sense that they didnt capitalize on the talent they had. Esp Stephen Ireland who had class.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Best and Gascoigne defo not wasters. The opposite. Balotelli and Stephen Ireland come to mind but only in the sense that they didnt capitalize on the talent they had. Esp Stephen Ireland who had class.

Stephen Ireland was so good during the 08/09 season under Hughes. 

Shades of Scholes/Fabregas.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 11:39pm
Hes the one player that annoys me we never got to see how good he could have been for us. He could have had 100 caps and how many goals. He already had 4 in 6 for us. He could have gone on to be a top player i always believed. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: PaddyMaddenIsCounty!
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:26am
Winston Bogarde, threw away his best years for a fat salary at Chelsea. 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:38am
Ravel Morrison. Cream might always rise to the top, scum not always.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Wasters in what context?

Best might have been finished at the top by 26, but was very good to world class between the ages of 17-25. 

Best and Gazza while having some great years threw their careers away as far as I'm concerned.  Best was more concerned with being a playboy and Gazza through his own idiocy injured himself on a few occassions.  1991 he was out of control in the FA Cup Final.  He returns from injury and is all set to play again and injures the same knee in a niteclub.   He goes to Italy and is angry in training and tries to hack a youth player in training and does it again. His diet was terrible and if you look at him in 1992/1993 he was way overweight. He slowly regains his career at Rangers and England.  He missed out on the 1998 WC due to his drinking and behaviour.

Kezman had a few good years then decided to be a coke head at Chelsea. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:32pm
David Bentley
Anto Stokes

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:35pm
Stokes is, by far, my least favourite player to ever play for Ireland.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

His Republican background? I know of a similar fan who feels the same about McClean for that very reason 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:55pm
Michael Johnson ex Man City springs to mind. A quality player when he came onto the scene but after a few injuries got banned a couple of times for drink driving, had a very bad gambling addiction and ended up in rehab.

Pretty sure after retiring in his mid twenties, he has since managed to run a couple of successful businesses.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Wasters in what context?

Best and Gazza while having some great years threw their careers away as far as I'm concerned.  Best was more concerned with being a playboy and Gazza through his own idiocy injured himself on a few occassions.  1991 he was out of control in the FA Cup Final.  He returns from injury and is all set to play again and injures the same knee in a niteclub.   He goes to Italy and is angry in training and tries to hack a youth player in training and does it again. His diet was terrible and if you look at him in 1992/1993 he was way overweight. He slowly regains his career at Rangers and England.  He missed out on the 1998 WC due to his drinking and behaviour.

Best is no different to Paul McGrath. Despite being alcoholics, they still reached a world class level for a number of years. Best won two First Division titles, a European Cup and Balon d'Or. He achieved more than most.

Gazza should have won more trophies. English football was still very unprofessional in the 90's. Lots of overweight players, drinkers, drug takers and gamblers. He wasn't alone. That only started to change when Wenger joined Arsenal and others started to embrace sports science. Big Sam was one of the first in the early 00's. 

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 12:57pm
Tony Watt, who peaked with his goal against Barcelona. I managed to watch him live a good few times and his talent was insane. He has managed to at least have a prolonged professional career, but his talent should have seen him playing at a much higher level.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Tony Watt, who peaked with his goal against Barcelona. I managed to watch him live a good few times and his talent was insane. He has managed to at least have a prolonged professional career, but his talent should have seen him playing at a much higher level.

He never had that lightbulb moment.

Ross Barkley (maybe just not very good)
Dele Alli  (Although being harsh there considering his circumstances)

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

His Republican background? I know of a similar fan who feels the same about McClean for that very reason 

I’m not similar to that fan. McClean is easily one of my favourite players to ever wear the green. Has played under all circumstances and feels the way the fans feel in defeat. He is part of a rare breed of modern players who would pick his international duties over his club ones at every juncture. He has suffered unbelievable and unjustifiable levels of vitriol from incredibly closed minded fans, and has often had to ‘go it alone’ when defending himself. 100 caps and counting, and some key contributions. I don’t think there is a player who is spiritually closer to the fans than McClean is.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 1:26pm

I’m not similar to that fan. McClean is easily one of my favourite players to ever wear the green. Has played under all circumstances and feels the way the fans feel in defeat. He is part of a rare breed of modern players who would pick his international duties over his club ones at every juncture. He has suffered unbelievable and unjustifiable levels of vitriol from incredibly closed minded fans, and has often had to ‘go it alone’ when defending himself. 100 caps and counting, and some key contributions. I don’t think there is a player who is spiritually closer to the fans than McClean is.

Even from his own teams supporters Cry

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 1:26pm

What republican background has McClean? I’d be more worried about the company you keep.

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 2:28pm

Probably a FG voter - disregard! 😏

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Even from his own teams supporters Cry

Sad, and it shouldn't happen. His unwavering desire to represent his country should be the approach every player takes.

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 3:06pm

ClapClapClap

James is a hero in my eyes 

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 3:10pm

If you are Irish and support the REPUBLIC of Ireland, you have a republican background. Clown.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 3:57pm
Another year or two, we could be adding Aaron Connolly to this list if he's not careful.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:13pm
Stephen Ireland had it all to become one of the greats  but tossed it in the bin . 

Drinkwater was another total fool who had the talent but nothing upstairs .

Going back there are so many others 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

If you are Irish and support the REPUBLIC of Ireland, you have a republican background. Clown.
😂😂

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:38pm

Wasters in what context?

Are you confusing Kezman with Adrian Mutu?

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 12:55am
I'm not calling him a waster but his career went massively downhill once he left Man Utd.  Lee Sharpe.

I cant even picture him playing for Leeds.

Then after that it was goodnight Vienna.

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 3:19am
How come you have sympathy for Delli Ali's situation but not Gazza or Best or Stephanie Irelands?

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 3:29am
Lee Sharpe did his cruciate same time as Roy Keane, if I remember from Keanes book, Sharpe didn’t do rehab proper and did it in a second time, finished him. He was bit immature and loved night life and threw it away, go back early 90s he was as good as Giggs, 93/94 especially. But he was finished by time he was 26. Defo wasted of talent.

Posted By: SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 7:19am
Stephen Kenny, Keith Andrews 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 7:34am
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Stephen Kenny, Keith Andrews 

Yep close the thread as we have the winners 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 7:52am
By all accounts Ravel Morrison would qualify for this.   

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 7:55am
Robin Friday

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

How come you have sympathy for Delli Ali's situation but not Gazza or Best or Stephanie Irelands?
Best and Gazza were/are alcoholics, a medical disease, so unfair to call them wasters. True, they never maximised their potential but their addictions contributed to that. 

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 2:46pm
Ended up watching highlights of Man U's 4-0 win against Leeds in 1996. Lee Sharpe was there for Leeds. Just had zero influence. It was Howard Wilkinson's last game. I was reading that Sharpe's last goal for Man United was at Tolka Park in 1996.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 3:22pm
Robinho

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 3:28pm

Robinho

He was regular in two La Liga winning Real Madrid sides and a key player for Milan when they won Serie A in 2011.

He also played 100 times for Brazil.

Neymar surpassed him, but he definitely wasn't a waster.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 3:31pm
Early doors but personally don't see Mykhailo Mudryk delivering on his potential.

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 5:57pm

Robinho

He was regular in two La Liga winning Real Madrid sides and a key player for Milan when they won Serie A in 2011.

He also played 100 times for Brazil.

Neymar surpassed him, but he definitely wasn't a waster.

Jesus, 100 caps. There you are now

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:20pm
Coutinho's career has taken some nose dive - apart from not getting a game at Villa, he's now gone on loan to Al-Duhail SC.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:24pm
Sean Thornton. Jeff Whitley. Jim Whitley. Mick McCarthy knew what to do with these slackers.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:42pm
Pogba must be the winner here.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Sean Thornton. Jeff Whitley. Jim Whitley. Mick McCarthy knew what to do with these slackers.

The Whitleys overachieved for their ability 
They weren’t great and were never prospects 

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 7:49am
Very harsh to call Gascogne a waster, Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson too. If all 3 players were starting their careers now they’d be getting the help they needed.

Gascoigne had mental issues that were never treated correctly. Throw in money, fame and drink he was doomed to be honest. Same with Stephen Ireland, he was some player. I played against him in a challenge match when he was about 14 or 15 probably not long before he went to Man City and he was an absolute genius of a player the Cobh manager told us beforehand he was going to England so just be careful. Some of our lads tried to kick him around the place but when I say we couldn’t get near him I mean he was 5 seconds ahead of everyone even at that age. We had a chat with him after the match and wished him well and I’ll always remember him as being a nice chap. He was the first player I played against that was going to England so I always remembered him. It’s sad to see what happened his career but again like Gazza he had obvious problems that probably weren’t dealt with or not dealt with properly. Michael Johnson the exact same story. 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 7:58am
Something ironic about us group of lads posting on a internet forum calling other lads who got paid to play football as wasters 😀😀😀😀

Never mind mentioning that the thread was started by a lad who has had more profiles on here than Robbie Keane has had boyhood
Clubs. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net