URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58777
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tonight about the North.
Posted By: Double Maxim
Subject: Tonight about the North.
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 7:09pm
Should be worth a watch tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65638259" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65638259

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Replies:
Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 10:55pm
sh*te, missed this. Set the series link for next weekThumbs Up

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:07am
This was by the guy who did the seminal "Once upon a time in Iraq" series.

1st episode aired last night, was very good. Only criticism was that it was light on the origins of the conflict and seened to suggest the British army were deployed in some kind of vacuum.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:23am
Timeline inexplicable also. Seemed to jump from 1969 to 1971, erasing the curfew, British Army killing spree, wrecking of homes, etc. Also no mention of the murder of Samuel Devenney in Bogside which led to the barricades being set up in Derry. This series does look interesting nonetheless but would have benefited at first glance from better sequencing and an historical perspective.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:03am
If there is a link to the first episode let me know pleaseThumbs Up

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Timeline inexplicable also. Seemed to jump from 1969 to 1971, erasing the curfew, British Army killing spree, wrecking of homes, etc. Also no mention of the murder of Samuel Devenney in Bogside which led to the barricades being set up in Derry. This series does look interesting nonetheless but would have benefited at first glance from better sequencing and an historical perspective.
The British rewriting history? Never.

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:17am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The British rewriting history? Never.

Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:41am
Yer kind of mixed sort of thing really , did like the bit from the Frost meeting as you could see he was taken aback from yer man who said it was a " Good Sunday " 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:37pm
That was John McKeague, a well known paedophile , sadist, murderer and tout who founded the Red Hand Commando loyalist paramilitary group ( which in time came under the command of the UVF). McKeague recruited teenagers from the Tartan gangs and the RHC was responsible for some of the most horrific torture killings of random Catholics in the 70s. He also led some of the pogroms including the burning of Bombay Street and was one of the paedos connected with the Kincora scandal.He was shot dead by the INLA in due course and there were few if any who mourned his passing.

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:56pm

That was John McKeague, a well known paedophile , sadist, murderer and tout who founded the Red Hand Commando loyalist paramilitary group ( which in time came under the command of the UVF). McKeague recruited teenagers from the Tartan gangs and the RHC was responsible for some of the most horrific torture killings of random Catholics in the 70s. He also led some of the pogroms including the burning of Bombay Street and was one of the paedos connected with the Kincora scandal.He was shot dead by the INLA in due course and there were few if any who mourned his passing.

A despicable fecker.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

A despicable fecker.

Wow didn't know that . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:12pm
Great series this 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:15pm
I often wonder how people didnt get the fook out of NI when all this was going on?. Some of the images look like it was from WW2 or something. Like how did people live through this? It seems inconceivable to have any sort of normality.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Great series this 

It is. Even listening to the protestant guys. Its kinda fascinating to hear them also talk so openly. And honestly.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:19am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I often wonder how people didnt get the fook out of NI when all this was going on?. Some of the images look like it was from WW2 or something. Like how did people live through this? It seems inconceivable to have any sort of normality.

Leaving wasn't always a viable option to some people. 
My mother was from Dublin so that's where my family went to.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 5:05am
Very apt comparisons made in the first episode about Paisley and Trump/Republican supporters in the first episode.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 8:22am

Loads did though.

There was accommodation provided around the 'Free State' 

Anywhere to watch this? 

My STB died and I had all this recorded and I lost a tonne of other stuff too Angry

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 9:40am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Loads did though.

Anywhere to watch this? 

My STB died and I had all this recorded and I lost a tonne of other stuff too Angry

This is true - Government housed people in places like army camps earlier in the troubles. 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Loads did though.

Anywhere to watch this? 

BBC iplayer

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 7:22pm

There was a good few sent to Cork in the 70s and 80s when Mahon and the Glen were being built.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 7:54pm
http://twitter.com/falseflag32/status/1664269232589402121?s=48&t=zeydN3pHYuvffZsWTl4yVQ" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/falseflag32/status/1664269232589402121?s=48&t=zeydN3pHYuvffZsWTl4yVQ

There's a video going around of a UVF fella working for a taxi company putting a gun to a fella...while at work.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

http://twitter.com/falseflag32/status/1664269232589402121?s=48&t=zeydN3pHYuvffZsWTl4yVQ" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/falseflag32/status/1664269232589402121?s=48&t=zeydN3pHYuvffZsWTl4yVQ

There's a video going around of a UVF fella working for a taxi company putting a gun to a fella...while at work.
Taxi company issued a statement saying he was signed off shift and is no longer an employee

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 9:52pm
Brian Stalford, drug debt collector for east Belfast UVF. A couple of other videos doing the rounds of him getting a clubbing from a gang of feral youths and then getting arrested in possession of a machete. Also got fired by the taxi firm. Just not his week.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 9:54pm

Brian Stafford, drug debt collector for east Belfast UVF. A couple of other videos doing the rounds of him getting a clubbing from a gang of feral youths and then getting arrested in possession of a machete. Also got fired by the taxi firm. Just not his week.

Is the video of the fight in the cregagh estate supposed to be of Stafford as well?

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 9:54pm
Yes.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 10:01pm
Wouldn’t believe that 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 6:11pm

Been watching this on catch-up the unionists urging a pub to boycott goods from the Rep of Ireland whilst drinking Guinness.

Big smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net