Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58773
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 10:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TRANSFER WINDOW - SUMMER 2023
Posted By: John Nice
Subject: TRANSFER WINDOW - SUMMER 2023
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:08pm
If one was of a mind to, an Irish owner could put together a pretty good Championship team featuring Irish players. 30 players listed hereunder who will/could/should move on this summer, several would be available on a free, some on the cheap and several others on loan. Interesting summer ahead.

GK KELLEHER TRAVERS
RWB DOHERTY MCNAMARA LYONS
LWB MCCLEAN MANNING STEVENS
CB O'SHEA MC NALLY BAGAN
CB COLLINS OMABAMIDELECASHIN
CB DUFFY SCALES ROUGHAN
CM KNIGHT COVENTRY HODGE
CM HENDRICK AZAZ PHILLIPS
CM MCGRATH KILKENNY MORAN
ST OGBENE CONNOLLY ODUBEKO
ST PARROTT KEANE CURTIS

I'll highlight players in bold/italics as news on their futures is finalised/clarified over the summer.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Replies:
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:12pm
Any rumours regarding any of these lads, particularly the likes of Manning, Doherty, Duffy, Ogbene and Stevens who are available on a free I think?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:24pm
Manning has been linked to Leeds in the last few days.

Date Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:27am
Dont know if it has been mentioned on here, I may have missed it, but Bohs GK Reece Byrne is going to Newcastle.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/keeper-reece-byrnes-move-to-newcastle-hailed-as-fantastic-by-bohemians-boss-declan-devine/a629552156.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/keeper-reece-byrnes-move-to-newcastle-hailed-as-fantastic-by-bohemians-boss-declan-devine/a629552156.html

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:29am
Pretty full listing of Irish player transfers/releases available here

https://punditarena.com/football/ronan-calvert/irish-football-transfers-kennys-kids-hub-centre-rumours/%20" rel="nofollow - https://punditarena.com/football/ronan-calvert/irish-football-transfers-kennys-kids-hub-centre-rumours/

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 30 May 2023 at 5:40pm
Sean Maguire, Jay McGrath, and Ricardo Dinanga released by Coventry.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 9:28am
Latest Rumours
Omabamidele to AC Milan rumours surfacing again. 

Bournemouth and other unnamed PL Clubs apparently interested in Smallbone.

Bristol City in for Knight

Ipswich and Bristol City in for Jack Taylor

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:06am
I read somewhere that Bristol City are no longer pursuing their interest in Taylor. They do want Knight but it is early days and there will certainly be other clubs keen to sign him.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:51pm
this could be a fairly scarce thread...

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

In what sense? I think there will be a lot of movement of both senior and U21  Irish players this window. Duffy's already gone to Norwich, Obafemi (permanently) to Burnley and there are quite a few free agents already - Doherty, Hendrick, Manning, Ogbene, Stevens (Okoflex and Odubeko too), while lads like Knight, Taylor, Kelleher, Connolly, Coventry, Omobamidele are widely tipped to move on. Others like Parrott, Azaz, Kilkenny, maybe McNally and a few of the U21s will have to at least get fresh loans sorted if not permanent transfers away.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:41pm
When you say Connolly might be moving on from Hull - how come? Has he not fitted in there?

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

When you say Connolly might be moving on from Hull - how come? Has he not fitted in there?

Afaik he's back at Brighton with a year remaining on his contract and Hull have decided not to move for him. There is chat in his own thread regarding all of this.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:55pm

Early days yet. This will start ramping up from the start of July on I think. 

In general we will see a lot of positive Irish moves this summer. Last year was a good year for Irish players and transfers up its the same this year.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 6:32pm
Who are The EIRE signing?  We could get Harry Maguire for 3m

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 8:12pm

O'Shea to Burnley and Collins to Brentford looking like transfers that are a bit down the tracks. This post didn't age well. 

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 12:40am
Young Doherty to Saudi Arabia is gaining traction. I do hope not.

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

What are his options though? Wasn't playing as much as he wanted at Spurs and not at all in Spain. Might as well take a last big cheque where he'll get to kick the ball.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

What are his options though? Wasn't playing as much as he wanted at Spurs and not at all in Spain. Might as well take a last big cheque where he'll get to kick the ball.

Yup I don't think he's gonna have the options back in England that some think he will. Especially options that are gonna pay him what he'd like. As much as I dislike oil money ruining football he should take the paycheck if offered.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 9:07am
The once highly touted Anthony Scully has moved to Portsmouth after a wasted year at Wigan! Decent move for the lad if he can nail down a starting spot.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 9:20am
Ronan Curtis looks like moving out there. A few Championship clubs are reported to be interested.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 2:06pm
Glory Nzingo has joined Swansea.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Glory Nzingo has joined Swansea.

Haven't read/heard anything about his development in France this season. His last U19 cap was March 2022.

He's still only 18. Swansea is generally a good club for young players to develop at.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 3:19pm
Good news about Nzingo, hopefully he's able to push on and make an impact there at Swansea

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 10:13pm
Corrie Ndaba has joined Kilmarnock on loan.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 5:59am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Good news about Nzingo, hopefully he's able to push on and make an impact there at Swansea

Any reports I've seen are that he has joined the academy as opposed to being a first-team signing.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 9:29pm
Dara O’Shea West Bom<Burnley 
Jack Taylor.  Peterborough<Ipswich

Anything else I’m missing? Two players upgrading instantly.

I know it was all doom and gloom after Greece but Irish football I still believe is in its best place in a long time when it comes to player pool/potential and I think this transfer window will be our most progressive in years. The two lads above just the start. 

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 9:46pm
Some in the lower leagues already-Liam Kelly to Crawley ( from Rochdale ); Dan Crowley to Notts County ( from Morecambe ); Courtney Duffus to Barrow ( from Morecambe ); Conor Shaughnessy to Portsmouth ( from Burton ).

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 10:12pm
This is the list I have of the deals so far this summer
https://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=2808605356851577046" rel="nofollow - https://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=2808605356851577046

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 5:46pm
Joe Shaughnessy has signed for Dundee.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:57pm

Ogbene to Luton

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 8:55pm

I like Doherty as a poster so all in jest this. 

Has their been a post on this thread that will age worse than this one? 

I wasn’t posting then obviously but looking back on Seamus Coleman threads few of the early Seamus Coleman posts did give me a laugh. 

Posted By: Corey100
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Dara O’Shea West Bom<Burnley 
Jack Taylor.  Peterborough<Ipswich

Anything else I’m missing? Two players upgrading instantly.

I know it was all doom and gloom after Greece but Irish football I still believe is in its best place in a long time when it comes to player pool/potential and I think this transfer window will be our most progressive in years. The two lads above just the start. 

The assumption to say we don’t have the players is absolute ludicrous, it’s just the fact they’ve been thrown to the wolves for the national team and made to fend for themselves against seasoned internationals is what has us in a bad predicament, for the national team that is.

We posses one of the most highly sought after and touted young strikers in English football in Ferguson, O’Shea made a move to a different and up and coming Burnley team, Collins is likely to break a transfer record he set while going to Wolves with Brentford aggressively pursuing him. We have to hope Parrott can stake his claim whilst being called back to Tottenham after an incredibly mediocre time whilst out on loan and Coventry can get a position in the West Ham team when and if Rice gets shafted this transfer window. Omobamidele is being pursued also.

All the rubbish about us having barely nobody in the premier league has been put to sleep with the promoted teams from last season. Let’s hope our players can make a name for themselves.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I like Doherty as a poster so all in jest this. 

Has their been a post on this thread that will age worse than this one? 

I wasn’t posting then obviously but looking back on Seamus Coleman threads few of the early Seamus Coleman posts did give me a laugh. 

LOL Thankyou!! Haha. Why do people take things so literally!! Who have we so far?? Ogbene to Luton and Dara to Burnley. The rest are small fry stuff. If it warms up i will retract my statement willingly.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 11:17pm
Coleman, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Cullen, Ogbene, Obafemi, Ferguson and Kelleher all in the Premiership at present. Two midfielders and you'd get a team but that is probably where we are shortest currently. Good start to the window and hopefully there are a few more.good stories. 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 12:22am
Hodge and Coventry would clinch it.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:42pm
Mazeed Ogungbo has signed for Barrow ( from Arsenal ). Conor Grant has joined Port Vale from Plymouth.

Posted By: NaasSaint
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Coleman, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Cullen, Ogbene, Obafemi, Ferguson and Kelleher all in the Premiership at present. Two midfielders and you'd get a team but that is probably where we are shortest currently. Good start to the window and hopefully there are a few more.good stories. 

Realistically, Bazunu should be in the PL and Kelleher shouldn't. Kelleher is not great.

-------------
Do ya like Jack Russells, Nidge?

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:52pm

Mazeed Ogungbo has signed for Barrow ( from Arsenal ). Conor Grant has joined Port Vale from Plymouth.
Different Conor Grant, the Irish player is at MK Don's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Grant_%28footballer,_born_1995%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Grant_(footballer,_born_1995)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Grant_%28footballer,_born_2001%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Grant_(footballer,_born_2001)

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: PaddyMaddenIsCounty!
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:52pm
That’s different Conor Grant, Irish u21 lad is at MK Dons

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 12:34pm
Young Moore to West Ham. Big prospect 

-------------
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 9:35am
Ex-U21 winger Alex Gilbert joins Middlesboro from Brentford for £1mn.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 9:52am
Collins to Brentford seems to be confirmed - £23mn.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Gilbert looked very lightweight and ineffective in the couple of U21 matches I saw him in.
Could be a late bloomer I guess, but it's a big step up to see him figure in the Championship next season.

I see he was born Dec 28, 2001, so is just three days overage for our upcoming U21 campaign Ouch

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Gilbert looked very lightweight and ineffective in the couple of U21 matches I saw him in.
Could be a late bloomer I guess, but it's a big step up to see him figure in the Championship next season.

I see he was born Dec 28, 2001, so is just three days overage for our upcoming U21 campaign Ouch
Agreed. He didnt have a good loan two divisions below Boro with Swindon the year before last either.

It is mind-boggling he's gone for a million quid tbh. Jason Knight will go for not much more with 20 international caps.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:02am
Jason Knight - any news?? Defo one of my fave players in the international setup, would love to see him get a good move. Looks like he's available for £1.5 million, which is surely a bargain!

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:06am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Agreed. He didnt have a good loan two divisions below Boro with Swindon the year before last either.

It is mind-boggling he's gone for a million quid tbh. Jason Knight will go for not much more with 20 international caps.

Yeah it's crazy alright that Knight won't go for much more given his level of experience, only being a few months older, and also only having 12 months left on his contract.

Derby supposedly want £2m for him or that's what someone reported when Bristol were showing interest.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:07am

He was young player of the year I think?

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:37am
Gilbert had a good season. Captain of the B team, player of the year, top scorer, offered a new contract by Brentford and turned it down. The £1 million was some sort of compensatory payment because of his age. Wolves and Forest were interested but Middlesbrough probably a better option for first team football.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:58am

Gilbert had a good season. Captain of the B team, player of the year, top scorer, offered a new contract by Brentford and turned it down. The £1 million was some sort of compensatory payment because of his age. Wolves and Forest were interested but Middlesbrough probably a better option for first team football.

Carrick has done well with young players.

Cameron Archer scored 11 goals and assisted 6 under him
Aaron Ramsey scored 5 goals and had 1 assist under him from a dozen games
Hayden Hackney was a regular at DM at the age of 20

It could be a good move for him. And hopefully us.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 12:43pm

Jamie McGrath is 'wanted' by  https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/all-about/heart-of-midlothian-fc" rel="nofollow - Hearts,  according to a report.

The Irish international who spent six months on loan at  https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/all-about/dundee-united" rel="nofollow - Dundee United  is being closely monitored by Steven Naismith. McGrath previously shone at St Mirren which earned him a switch down south to English Championship side Wigan but has a year left on his deal.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 3:49pm

If the £1m was for compensation then Derby must be thinking to themselves that Knight should attract triple that next summer if that's what Brentford are getting for Gilbert.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 1:21pm
Enda Stevens set to sign for Stoke City. Richard Keogh has joined Wycombe Wanderers.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:02pm
Gilbert to Boro confirmed

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:43pm
Conor Wilkinson has joined Motherwell.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 11:56pm
Has it been put in here about Collins going to Brentford yet?? LOL

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 6:13pm
Kian Leavy has signed for St.Pats, following Jay McGrath and Matt Boylan as new signings.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 9:01pm
David Odomusu joins Cliftonville on loan.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

David Odomusu joins Cliftonville on loan.
Forgot he was still about

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 9:34pm
My sympathies to Cliftonville.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:14pm
Looking back to the OP and there hasnt been as much movement as expected/hoped for just yet

GK KELLEHER TRAVERS
RWB DOHERTY MCNAMARA LYONS
LWB MCCLEAN MANNING STEVENS
CB O'SHEA MC NALLY BAGAN
CB OMABAMIDELE CASHIN ROUGHAN
CB DUFFY SCALES
CM KNIGHT COVENTRY HODGE
CM HENDRICK AZAZ PHILLIPS
CM MCGRATH KILKENNY MORAN
ST OGBENE CONNOLLY ODUBEKO
ST PARROTT KEANE CURTIS

Asides from the lads highlighted (and a couple of them have simply signed new deals with their existing clubs), we are still awaiting news around a lot of players, some key to the senior team. 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:15pm
I think McClean has agreed a new deal with Wigan ?

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:21pm

Thanks, I will go back to the OP and edit

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:26pm

Signed one last summer but apparently Wigan players can still walk out of their contracts if they were paid late at least 3 times in a season. With new owners there I don't see him looking to force a move though.

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:37pm
James Brown formally of Shels & Drogheda joins Ross County from Blackburn 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Get on up 

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Get on up 

Ross have got a brand new back!

I'll get me coat!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:50pm
Just to note, young Delap has gone to Hull on loan, still remains eligible.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 11:57am
U21 keeper Tiernan Brooks has signed for Cork City on loan from Notts County

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 12:05pm
Sunderland reported to be ready to offer Everton £3 million for Tom Cannon with Luton and Preston also interested.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 10:09am
Ryan Graydon reportedly moving from Derry to Fleetwood

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: ShadingEvan
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 7:11pm

Sunderland reported to be ready to offer Everton £3 million for Tom Cannon with Luton and Preston also interested.

Nothing says impending Ireland call up like being linked to Sunderland and Preston

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 9:33pm
Matt Doherty to Wolves.?

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:06pm
Kieran O'Hara has signed for Kilmarnock.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:21pm
Rumours of a 250k+ bid for Bohs Irish U19 midfielder James Mc Manus from an unnamed Championship club. Would be a record sale for Bohs.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:25pm

Rumours of a 250k+ bid for Bohs Irish U19 midfielder James Mc Manus from an unnamed Championship club. Would be a record sale for Bohs.

Yes and the hope is we would be able to keep till the end of the season also.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:32pm
In other news

Former Ireland underage international Shane Mc Loughlin (26) (not to be confused with Hull's Sean) has signed for Newport County from Salford.

Burton Albion are in talks with CB Ryan Sweeney (26) who has run down his contract at Dundee.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 8:37pm
Knight to Bristol City confirmed!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 11:49pm
who else needs a move?

Permanent - Kelleher, Doherty, Connolly
Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 1:09pm
20yo Deji Sotona on trial at L2 Doncaster following his release by Burnley

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Scales, will he stay at Celtic? Omabamidele rumours persist. Travers to Millwall on loan? Mc Grath to Hearts?

Also not senior squad members (yet), but it will be interesting to see where the likes of Azaz, McNally, Kilkenny, Jake O'Brien and Coventry end up either permanently or on loan. Also waiting on potential loan/permanent move news for a heap of U21s, Hodge, Cannon, Phillips, Furlong, Lawal, Mc Nulty, Adaramola, Moran, O'Neill Okoflex, Odubeko, Henry-Francis and Costelloe to name a few.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 2:48pm
A lot of those loans will happen near the end of the window as clubs settle for players further down their shortlists after they miss out on other targets. Some won't get loans at all. Usually it's the better/more sought after players that move earlier in the window and we're seeing that with the likes of O'Shea, Knight and Collins having transferred already.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:20pm

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Scales, will he stay at Celtic? Omabamidele rumours persist. Travers to Millwall on loan? Mc Grath to Hearts?

Also not senior squad members (yet), but it will be interesting to see where the likes of Azaz, McNally, Kilkenny, Jake O'Brien and Coventry end up either permanently or on loan. Also waiting on potential loan/permanent move news for a heap of U21s, Hodge, Cannon, Phillips, Furlong, Lawal, Mc Nulty, Adaramola, Moran, O'Neill Okoflex, Odubeko, Henry-Francis and Costelloe to name a few.

Theres an argument for a few of those to being pushing themselves hard in preseason to try and break into the first team, particularly in the case wheres theres a new manager that hasnt worked with them yet and/or theres places for grabs in the squad.

If Connolly is fit and raring to go with his head in the right place, he could give De Zerbi something to think about ...and we seen how quick Ferguson was brought in from the u23s and became a first team starter, if Moran is as promising as hes looked and puts the work in, he could find himself in the same position over the course of the season with MacAllister gone. Furlong will probably be sent back on loan though as theres plenty of defensive cover in his potion.

I think Phillips is another that could potentially break into the team at Palace over the course of the season, their squad is fairly weak and theres not much competition in midfield unless they make a couple of qualify signings. O'Brien isn't as fortunate there though as CB is probably their strongest position. Adaramola will probably be sent out on loan somewhere else, didnt really work out for him last season.

Hodge will be a first team squad player again I reckon having made the break through last season. Steadying the ship and surviving the drop was key for them and its hard to give younger players like that minutes, such as we seen with Collins being dropped for the senior experience of Dawson.

McNulty is an interesting one, had a very good loan spell and was heavily involved with the first team last year in preseason before the loan. Theyre known for giving young players a chance but they look stacked at CB so will more than likely be sent back out on loan to a club at a higher level. If NAC got promoted he probably would have ended up back there and in the Eredivise but maybe his performances caught the eye of couple other clubs there.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

McNulty is an interesting one, had a very good loan spell and was heavily involved with the first team last year in preseason before the loan. Theyre known for giving young players a chance but they look stacked at CB so will more than likely be sent back out on loan to a club at a higher level. If NAC got promoted he probably would have ended up back there and in the Eredivise but maybe his performances caught the eye of couple other clubs there.

Looks like van de Ven will be going to Spurs, means that there could well be a place for MacNulty as a left footed CB. 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Looks like van de Ven will be going to Spurs, means that there could well be a place for MacNulty as a left footed CB. 

Yeah but they already signed 2 young but very experienced replacements in Jenz for €8m and Zesiger for €5m on top of already having Lacroix, Bornauw and possibly Ven de Van (if he was to stay on).

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:40pm
To be honest of the list John posted I can't see a single one of them making a serious impact at their parent clubs this season, other than maybe McNulty - purely because I don't know as much about him or the level of competition he would face for a first team place.

A few might pick up appearances here and there like Hodge did last season, but they'd probably be better served going on loan in most cases than staying around for a small handful of senior appearances. Hodge himself could do with a season as a starter week in week out as he has never had that in his career.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:45pm
More chance of us winning both our games against the Dutch and Greece at home than Connolly given De Zerbi something to think about.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:46pm

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Yeah but they already signed 2 young but very experienced replacements in Jenz for €8m and Zesiger for €5m on top of already having Lacroix, Bornauw and possibly Ven de Van (if he was to stay on).
Ah right I hadn't heard about the two new signings. Would say MacNulty is off for another loan then

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be honest of the list John posted I can't see a single one of them making a serious impact at their parent clubs this season, other than maybe McNulty - purely because I don't know as much about him or the level of competition he would face for a first team place.

A few might pick up appearances here and there like Hodge did last season, but they'd probably be better served going on loan in most cases than staying around for a small handful of senior appearances. Hodge himself could do with a season as a starter week in week out as he has never had that in his career.

I'd agree with that, Hodge needs to play games. Moran has a squeak of involvement with Brighton certainly up until January at least, Coventry with West Ham also. I'm not saying it's ideal, but with European games and Carabao Cup, they may at least get some game time and then head out on loan in January. Has Azaz got a chance at Villa with Conference League football looming?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:07pm
Further to this, there's often a springer i.e. somebody unexpected who emerges, last year it was Cannon, unfortunately that one is now looking unlikely to pay off for us, but maybe Phillips or Adaramola at Palace could surprise this season. Adaramola did make the bench last day of the season. Maybe Vata or Johnston at Celtic now that Rodgers is back there (I think he used Mikey a fair bit last time around). Anybody got any bold predictions?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:10pm

Further to this, there's often a springer i.e. somebody unexpected who emerges, last year it was Cannon, unfortunately that one is now looking unlikely to pay off for us, but maybe Phillips or Adaramola at Palace could surprise this season. Adaramola did make the bench last day of the season. Maybe Vata or Johnston at Celtic now that Rodgers is back there (I think he used Mikey a fair bit last time around). Anybody got any bold predictions?

Gilbert @ Boro is another who could suddenly find himself in contention if he gets good game time there. They have forked out decent money and the senior squad could do with a few more wide attacking options.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:17pm

Gilbert @ Boro is another who could suddenly find himself in contention if he gets good game time there. They have forked out decent money and the senior squad could do with a few more wide attacking options.
I would have also said Gilbert. If Phillips gets a loan to the Championship I think he will be the breakout player of the year.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:20pm
Phillips is probably best placed after seriously impressing in League 1. But I think, like Cannon, the best way to do that would be through a Championship loan. Him, Azaz, Moran, Coventry, Hodge and McNally should all be aiming to be with Championship clubs by the time the season starts. As well as Connolly and Parrott obviously. Taylor, Gilbert and McGuinness will be three others to keep an eye on at that level. Vaughan as well.

After what happened last season Adaramola should aim for a League 1 team and look to stand out at that level. Jake O'Brien could end up anywhere - Championship, League 1, Belgium again, hard to know with him.

Posted By: SeanC
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 6:33pm

who else needs a move?

Loan - Hendrick, Parrott 

Theres an argument for a few of those to being pushing themselves hard in preseason to try and break into the first team, particularly in the case wheres theres a new manager that hasnt worked with them yet and/or theres places for grabs in the squad.

If Connolly is fit and raring to go with his head in the right place, he could give De Zerbi something to think about ...and we seen how quick Ferguson was brought in from the u23s and became a first team starter, if Moran is as promising as hes looked and puts the work in, he could find himself in the same position over the course of the season with MacAllister gone. Furlong will probably be sent back on loan though as theres plenty of defensive cover in his potion.

I think Phillips is another that could potentially break into the team at Palace over the course of the season, their squad is fairly weak and theres not much competition in midfield unless they make a couple of qualify signings. O'Brien isn't as fortunate there though as CB is probably their strongest position. Adaramola will probably be sent out on loan somewhere else, didnt really work out for him last season.

Hodge will be a first team squad player again I reckon having made the break through last season. Steadying the ship and surviving the drop was key for them and its hard to give younger players like that minutes, such as we seen with Collins being dropped for the senior experience of Dawson.

I’d say Michael Robinson is more in di zerbi’s Brighton plans than Connolly. The rest is all good…

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 3:56pm
Tunmise Sobowale has moved to L1 Shrewsbury from Waterford

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 7:04pm
Danny Grant returns to Bohs - fairly underwhelming.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 7:18pm
Seemed to be miles off it at Huddersfield even after he came back from injury and then was no more than OK at Harrogate, so it was always likely he had run out of road in England. As ever, it's a big step up trying to go from League of Ireland straight to the Championship, not many pull it off. Andy Lyons made the best go of it of anyone recently, but even then was in a team that got relegated.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 7:19pm

Seemed to be miles off it at Huddersfield even after he came back from injury and then was no more than OK at Harrogate, so it was always likely he had run out of road in England. As ever, it's a big step up trying to go from League of Ireland straight to the Championship, not many pull it off. Andy Lyons made the best go of it of anyone recently, but even then was in a team that got relegated.

Went well for Huddersfield reserves but never got a chance for the first team. Did reasonably well at Harrogate and apparently had other L2 offers but has opted to come back to Bohs.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 7:27pm
Ya I'd imagine Irish clubs can outbid a lot of League 2 teams in terms of wages these days, if there's no offers coming at least at League 1 level then you're often as well heading home.

Posted By: howieb
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 9:23pm

Ya I'd imagine Irish clubs can outbid a lot of League 2 teams in terms of wages these days, if there's no offers coming at least at League 1 level then you're often as well heading home.

The majority of league 2 teams would pay higher wages than our league. 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

The majority of league 2 teams would pay higher wages than our league. 
The median of the 100 highest earners in League Two is £140,000 p/a. I don't think the median of 100 highest earners in the LOI would even be close to that.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net