URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58769
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Banners at Away games
Posted By: gspain
Subject: Banners at Away games
Date Posted: 10 May 2023 at 1:45pm
As MNT SLO

I'm trying to compile a list of flags/banners fans plan to bring to away games.  These will be submitted by the FAI to the home federation as approved banners.  Note the host association still has the right to refuse any such banner but having FAI approval and being submitted by the FAI will be a great help.

Please note this is totally voluntary and there is no obligation to do this.  However it should make life easier at away games.

This will be an ongoing list and all banners will be submitted for approval even if you only plan to attend certain games.

Please note any banner larger than 1.5 metres x 2 metres requires a fire safety certificate as per FIFA/UEFA regulations.  

This is more aimed at getting all slogans approved and letting the host association know there is no issue with the language.  This is particularly important with those written as gaeilge.  

What I need is

1)  A photo of the flag/banner
2)  The measurements 

I don't want to put email addresses on here so if you just drop me a PM or contact me on facebook/twitter WhatsApp if you know my number etc.  

There is no deadline for this but for Greece I'd need these asap.  

Replies:
Posted By: williemc83
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:56am
Away associations have never had an issue with banners.

It shouldn't be necessary to register flags or banners in advance of away games. The FAI should be advised that fans will not be co-operating with this ridiculous requirement. 

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:57pm
I hope the FAI are as proactive at getting Castore to get the jerseys ready for the fans as they are with banners!

Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

It shouldn't be necessary to register flags or banners in advance of away games. The FAI should be advised that fans will not be co-operating with this ridiculous requirement. 

It isn't and there is no need to do this.

It is totally voluntary.

I'm trying to avoid issues that occurred with two different flags at 2 different away games in recent times.  

I'm also aware of issues friends have had with banners of other nations at other games.  

Some security officers can have issues with stuff they don't understand.  Some stuff can be deemed offensive in certain languages or cultures.  

If there is an approved list of banners it will make life easier getting them into foreign stadiums.  

Also if something is deemed offensive in a foreign language by a host football federation I can let the owner of the banner know and they can choose whether to bring it to that country.   

I will be on the ground at away games to help if there are any issues.  I will have no authority and it will be up to the host federation.  However I will have dealt with the home security official and hopefully can quickly resolve any issues particularly if the banner is on the list sent by the FAI.  Even if it isn't I will still try to help.  

I don't want to get into specifics about individuals and private conversations.  However flags that have been in loads of places without any issues have suddenly been a problem at a certain game.  

In a non Irish context I watched a friend have a flag confiscated and his stress levels go through the roof.  

I hope this will help.  By all means feel free to ignore it.  

Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:22pm

Just to be very clear.  This is not the FAI driving this.  

I'm not even trying to take credit for the idea as it morphed out of a few discussions involving fans some of whom are on here.  I honestly can't recall exactly whose idea it was but I think it is a good one and I'd like to drive it.  

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:25pm

i concur, an idiotic idea

what's next? applications to sing, chant or clap  Ermm

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:42pm
In fairness, it's optional. If it was mandatory I'd worry. 
It appears he is trying to make things easier for some as it's difficult to predict what other FAs/security will decide to do at the gate.

(You could argue that it's a step closer to mandatory flag reviews and greater control over fans, but I'm sure the intention is well-meaning here.)

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:53pm
Appreciate it might be coming from a good place, but it seems like a step too far, and implies pre approval is needed for banners.

Fans should be free to put what they want on banners, particularly given some of the shambolic antics in the FAI under Delaney. Irish fans where one of the few groups who consistently called him out when the media and Government were praising him while he bankrupted Irish football.

The only issue with flags I'm aware of in recent years was in Belgeade, and the issue wasn't flags or banners - it was an over zealous FAI official. 

Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:53pm
#Belgrade

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:58pm
Welcome Joe McGlue to the forumHug

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:13pm

Appreciate it might be coming from a good place, but it seems like a step too far, and implies pre approval is needed for banners.

Fans should be free to put what they want on banners, particularly given some of the shambolic antics in the FAI under Delaney. Irish fans where one of the few groups who consistently called him out when the media and Government were praising him while he bankrupted Irish football.

The only issue with flags I'm aware of in recent years was in Belgeade, and the issue wasn't flags or banners - it was an over zealous FAI official. 

some irish fans called him out, most just took the soup Wink

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

CRISC annual dinner - 3 courses - chowder, gazpacho and onion soup Clap

-------------
Touts Out!

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

CRISC annual dinner - 3 courses - chowder, gazpacho and onion soup Clap

Now now CR the wars over 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 3:55pm
Just an update here.  All flags and banners we submitted to the HFF have been approved.  

I plan to keep this document and update it with any new flags/banners that are shared with me and submit for approval for future games.  So for example if you have sent me your flag it will automatically be sent to the French Federation for approval for Paris etc etc.

Please also note the only details I've shared with the FAI are the photo provided and the dimensions provided.  For flags of a certain size I have included details such as made by flagman, made in the EU by x company in Poland say etc.  I have not provided any names with the flag details. 

Note all flags and banners will still be checked in Greece.  

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:01pm
Gary, you’ve already said this is not needed, its not an FAI request. You are doing this off your own bat. Why? Theres no need. You are now compiling a database of flags/banners . 

Im sorry and don’t mean to be rude, but there is no need for this and I doubt highly if its part of your remit.

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:14pm
For the record. 

There is only ONE flag. 
It represents all fans on the island of Ireland. 

This FLAG of US 

Alan Keane on Tour
AKOT to his friends and royalty

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: DublinScouse1916
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 8:09pm

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Gary, you’ve already said this is not needed, its not an FAI request. You are doing this off your own bat. Why? Theres no need. You are now compiling a database of flags/banners . 

Im sorry and don’t mean to be rude, but there is no need for this and I doubt highly if its part of your remit.

I'm doing it because there have been issues in a few places now with banners 

Obviously totally optional and it is just a document with lots of photos and dimensions in each case.  

Anything that potentially makes our fans life easier home or abroad is within the remit so i think it does.  Obviously anyone is free to ignore it.  

I don't see the issue.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 11:08pm
Why would they refuse a flag/banner? Bad language is it? Fire Cert?

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 11:38pm
I wonder if this will be accepted into the stadium in Paris this September 🤔  (don't want it added to any list either)

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 9:06am
The percentage of people taking flags/banners to the game that read this thread must be extremely low vs the overall number going to the match.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Why would they refuse a flag/banner? Bad language is it? Fire Cert?

All sorts of reasons

Not understanding something and default is to refuse
Words can mean different things in different languages.
symbols or other things on the flag can be deemed offensive
The larger flags need an EU firecert these days for pretty much any EU country.  These are always added by flagman and the various EU companies but not in place for some made in China.
Certain countries can be very sensitive regarding even the smallest patch referencing another country.  

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:15am
I believe a couple very questionable flags got past you Gary!!

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:28am
Has it been thrown in the bin yet that sh*te?

Embarrassing

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:29am
Someone cut it off the fence it was hung up on and it is currently still rolling down a cliff apparently. Best place for it

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Has it been thrown in the bin yet that sh*te?

Embarrassing

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I'm doing it because there have been issues in a few places now with banners 

Obviously totally optional and it is just a document with lots of photos and dimensions in each case.  

Anything that potentially makes our fans life easier home or abroad is within the remit so i think it does.  Obviously anyone is free to ignore it.  

I don't see the issue.

Some people moan about anything.

It's quite obvious that from reading gspains posts, a few people he knew has got hassle bringing flags in. He's obviously trying to ensure that doesn't happen to them again - and trying to help others (that want the help) that have had similar issues or concerns while at it.

Seems as simple as that to me,

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:35am
Whats the obsession with that young fella anyway with the social media generation. 
Hasbullah is it?

Don't find it funny at all

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:38am
Please explain what the flag means? 

Also don't see the need to put a Fr Ted or Simpsons quote on flags.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Someone cut it off the fence it was hung up on and it is currently still rolling down a cliff apparently. Best place for it
saw that message😂😂

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:47am
These flags are getting progressively worse. Jesus Christ. And apart from the sh*te content, they look horrible too. What is with that template they all seem to use with the weird green and orange with black through it?

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 10:49am

Whats the obsession with that young fella anyway with the social media generation. 
Hasbullah is it?

Don't find it funny at all

They usually are seen with a handbag too.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:09am
The Philip Schofield one was ridiculous

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:17am
Glad it received such a backlash online and was fooked out. Hopefully acts as a deterrent for people thinking of creating something as crap going forward 

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:31am

Glad it received such a backlash online and was fooked out. Hopefully acts as a deterrent for people thinking of creating something as crap going forward 

It's back this morning.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It's back this morning.

The owner's of it clearly lack self-awareness as much as they lack a sense of humour

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:39am

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It's back this morning.

The owner's of it clearly lack self-awareness as much as they lack a sense of humour

Or they are complete attention seeking clowns 🤡 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:45am
McGregor generation behaviour. 
That and thinking Hasbullah is hilarious

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 11:52am
"The Greeks invented gayness" would have been a better banner Smile

Posted By: Colum
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 12:23pm

I didn’t even know what a Hasbullah was until yesterday. Thought it was some Palestine/Israel thing spelled wrong.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 12:25pm

The what now?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The what now?

That young boy on the flag is known as Hasbullah on social media

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:25pm

The what now?

Also known as that on his birth certificate.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:28pm
He's an animal-abusing, misogynisti, narcissistic Chechen(?) dwarf, for those not in the know. Also a source of comedy for many simpletons throughout the UK and Ireland.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:29pm
I’d love to see the email flagman Ireland got with that order LOL
This morning inspired, father Ted quote and hasbullah for no apparent reason 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:31pm

"The Greeks invented gayness" would have been a better banner Smile

I was just saying to the admin of the crap flag fb page that it was only a matter of time before some gobsh*te either had this flag or suggested it 😀😀😀. Didn’t have to wait long. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

He's an animal-abusing, misogynisti, narcissistic Chechen(?) dwarf, for those not in the know. Also a source of comedy for many simpletons throughout the UK and Ireland.

LOL

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:09pm
Had to look him up after someone saying who he was. He looks like someone that was AI generated.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Have you ever watched any of the PaddyPower flag/banner ordering videos? 

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Greener92
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

The what now?

Also known as that on his birth certificate.
LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Never 🤔

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:57am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

What's this now?

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net