Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58742
Printed Date: 17 May 2024 at 7:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best player you’ve ever played with
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Subject: Best player you’ve ever played with
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:47pm
Anyone ever play a match with a famous footballer?
A team mate in your youth team who went on to make it, or 5 a sides with a retired player, and how good were they? 

Read a tweet that an journo for the Athletic was playing 5 a sides with Nedum Onohua, Steven Ireland and Joleon Lescott. He said Ireland was ridiculously good 

Replies:
Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:06pm
Played on a school team with Max Lowe (Sheffield United). Also played with Laurence Maguire (Chesterfield), younger brother of Harry, and Jake Beesley (Blackpool). 

All 3 oozed class, not surprised they made it. Jake and Max used to glide past entire teams effortlessly whereas Laurence was a rolls Royce of a defender. Very nice having him as a centre half partner I must say LOL

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm

I was briefly team mates with Wes Hoolahan for a few months. He’s the best known of the lads I played with. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I was briefly team mates with Wes Hoolahan for a few months. He’s the best known of the lads I played with. 

Stuey Byrne is that you?

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:17am
Gaelic Football with Damien Delaney in school. 

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:55am
Played a pub league match in Stockholm vs Anders Limpar. Play a bit of 5 a side with lads who were on the books with English underage teams and under age international teams.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:01am
Blueman on the fans team. 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:04am
Seamie Coleman underage a few times...Few LOI players too. Played Finn Harps in a friendly too when I was 17. Felix Healy brought himself onLOL Can say I played against someone who played at a World Cup!

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:14am
Dean Ashton. A great player and a great lad.

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:15am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Blueman on the fans team. 

LOL

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:38am
Played up front with Jason Sherlock in a charity match before.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:00pm
A few of my mates went to the same school as Jeff Hendrick. He fancied his chances at making it as pro even back then. He was right.

Obviously miles ahead of your average 14/15 year old Irish teenager. 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:11pm
Played on the same side as Alan McCormack before he moved across the water and had a successful career playing in the UK. He's now a coach at Luton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_McCormack" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_McCormack

He was by far the best player on the pitch nearly every week. It's crazy how good you need to be to make it 

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Played on the same side as Alan McCormack before he moved across the water and had a successful career playing in the UK. He's now a coach at Luton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_McCormack" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_McCormack

He was by far the best player on the pitch nearly every week. It's crazy how good you need to be to make it 
Played gaa with Alan and on the school football team and a few other very good players, including current Palace asst manager Paddy McCarthy. another lad was a Leeds for a while but most skilful was Ray Whelan, was on Arsenal books but ended up playing junior football at a very good level for years. 
I say played with them but that very much is stretching the truth, basically sat on the bench and went training, but got me out of classLOL

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:25pm
Played with Wes Brown for Manchester Boys (County FA Team) and grew up playing against him too for my club and school teams. Played with him last year at Old Trafford in a corporate match where he made me captain because he was manager of one team and Rio Ferdinand the other Cool LOL
Gets a lot of stick from non United fans but he was a really good player growing up and a sound fella too

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by kevjreilly kevjreilly wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Played gaa with Alan and on the school football team and a few other very good players, including current Palace asst manager Paddy McCarthy. another lad was a Leeds for a while but most skilful was Ray Whelan, was on Arsenal books but ended up playing junior football at a very good level for years. 
I say played with them but that very much is stretching the truth, basically sat on the bench and went training, but got me out of classLOL

Yeah I played on the school team with Rayo - smashing player Clap

-------------

Posted By: dangere_here
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Stuey Byrne is that you?

Byrner the pilot LOL

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

A few of my mates went to the same school as Jeff Hendrick. He fancied his chances at making it as pro even back then. He was right.

Obviously miles ahead of your average 14/15 year old Irish teenager. 

I can imagine him probably walking round with his shinpads out and the whole swagger of teenage wannabe pro

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 4:53pm
probably Peter Hynes who won the FA youth cup with Villa against Rooney's Everton and seems to have fell by the wayside after that after he came back home, very decent player though.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Played up front with Jason Sherlock in a charity match before.

Forgot i played football with Jay in primary school

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:47pm
N'Do

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:11pm
Robbie Keane Cool

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:47am
PE football in a school hall with Damien Duff in secondary school. He ran rings around everyone 
Richard Sadlier in primary school 50 kids chasing a tennis ball. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: turbo10
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:11am
I grew up in Gakway, and played with or against a few good players. Billy Cleary, Colin Hawkins, David Forde, Tony Folan and Rory Ginty. 

Ginty was the best I played against. He went on the play a few games with the Crystal Palace first team. I have nightmares of trying to mark him underage.

I played against David Forde in Gaelic Football once. He was playing midfield and was excellent.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by turbo10 turbo10 wrote:

Ginty was the best I played against. He went on the play a few games with the Crystal Palace first team. I have nightmares of trying to mark him underage.
I work with him nowadays, was doing one of those icebreaker things at a team building thing one day, everyone else pouting out things like "I once ran a marathon" etc, this lad comes out with, "I made my Premier League debut at Anfield coming on as a substitute for Atillio Lombardo". Great line

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 8:53pm
There was an article in him in the 42 a couple of years back.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 9:10pm
Ah too many to mention.
Met loads of ex-players on coaching courses over the years.
Actually nutmegged Gary Howlett doing the UEFA B 26 years ago.

A 72yo Charlie Cooke wasnt too bad 😂

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:10pm
*Insert Inbetweeners emoji here.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by turbo10 turbo10 wrote:

I work with him nowadays, was doing one of those icebreaker things at a team building thing one day, everyone else pouting out things like "I once ran a marathon" etc, this lad comes out with, "I made my Premier League debut at Anfield coming on as a substitute for Atillio Lombardo". Great line

I've been watching the Peep Show series, so it may influence this question. Did you suck him off as part of the paint balling team building?

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net