Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58724
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Current NI Squad - 7th March 2023
Posted By: Tweetering
Subject: Current NI Squad - 7th March 2023
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:50pm
Hypothetically, which of these players could be useful for ROI?

Northern Ireland squad (announced 7th March 2023)

Goalkeepers: Bailey Peacock-Farrell (Burnley), Conor Hazard (HJK Helsinki), Luke Southwood (Cheltenham Town, on loan from Reading).

Defenders: Jonny Evans (Leicester City), Craig Cathcart (Watford), Daniel Ballard (Sunderland), Conor Bradley (Bolton Wanderers, on loan from Liverpool), Jamal Lewis (Newcastle United), Ciaron Brown (Oxford United), Trai Hume (Sunderland), Eoin Toal (Bolton Wanderers).

Midfielders: Paddy McNair (Middlesbrough), Shane Ferguson (Rotherham United), George Saville (Millwall), Jordan Thompson (Stoke City), Shea Charles (Manchester City), Cameron McGeehan (KV Oostende), Isaac Price (Everton), Sean Goss (Motherwell).

Forwards: Josh Magennis (Wigan Athletic), Conor Washington (Rotherham United), Gavin Whyte (Cardiff City), Dion Charles (Bolton Wanderers), Conor McMenamin (Glentoran), Matthew Kennedy (Aberdeen), Dale Taylor (Burton Albion, on loan from Nottingham Forest).

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:54pm
That’s one of the worst NI squads I’ve seen in years 

Players who’d start for Ireland from it?
I honestly think none of them. Possibly Jamal Lewis as we are a bit weak at left back although I haven’t seen him play in a while 

Evans and McNair would probably make the squad 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:55pm
Agreed on McNair and Evans. 

I was reading about Jamal Lewis, that the hype around him as died down due to poor performances. Newcastle want to let him go this summer apparently. 

They have some exciting young players - Isaac Price, Shea Charles, Conor Bradley.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 10:57pm
 I just googled Lewis there
Thought he was still at Norwich 

So went to Newcastle and isn’t near the first team 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:00pm
McNair wouldn’t get in our squad! Lenihan his club team mate is a better player and he can’t get in it.

Evans is finished and Lewis has barely kicked a ball in the past 18months! Honestly don’t think any of their players would make our squad.

Thank f**k we already have an all Ireland team.

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:02pm
Not one of those players would make our squad. Absolute scrap.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
Shea Charles looks like he has a good chance of becoming a prem player - he is technical, physical, and versatile.

Posted By: dangere_here
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:11pm
Eoin Toal: sounds like your typical half cut FAI blazer from the good old days

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

Shea Charles looks like he has a good chance of becoming a prem player - he is technical, physical, and versatile.

There’s no way a youth team player would make our squad though 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

McNair wouldn’t get in our squad! Lenihan his club team mate is a better player and he can’t get in it.

Evans is finished and Lewis has barely kicked a ball in the past 18months! Honestly don’t think any of their players would make our squad.

Does McNair not play in midfield anymore 
Thought he did and would be as good as Jeff Hendrick or Jamie McGrath I’m sure 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Does McNair not play in midfield anymore 
Thought he did and would be as good as Jeff Hendrick or Jamie McGrath I’m sure 

Na he’s played most of the season as a CB.

McGrath is an attacking midfielder doubt we would have much use with McNair in that role. 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:26pm
You'd have to wonder what Conor Bradley was thinking. He'll probably come to regret that decision. 

He's not in that squad but Dallas is probably one player who would make our squad. Evans obviously back in the day. Jamal Lewis if he returned to form. That's about it.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

You'd have to wonder what Conor Bradley was thinking. He'll probably come to regret that decision. 

He's not in that squad but Dallas is probably one player who would make our squad. Evans obviously back in the day. Jamal Lewis if he returned to form. That's about it.

Steven Davis, much as I dislike him, would also have waltzed in to our midfield a few years back. Agree re Dallas also, very good versatile footballer!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:31pm
Terri will be on with a 5 paragraph response and quotes from Wikipedia and the Middlesbrough Gazette telling us why certain players are worthy of a place 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:33pm

Terri will be on with a 5 paragraph response and quotes from Wikipedia and the Middlesbrough Gazette telling us why certain players are worthy of a place 

LOL

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:56pm
Evans is past his best and injury prone but still a PL player. Out of the NI squad now because of injury. McNair’s versatility would make him an option, maybe. Of the young players, Shea Charles and Conor Bradley have a chance. Very thin squad, not helped by long term injuries to Davis and Dallas.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 1:08am
Imagine if they scrapped 2nd place in there group and qualified. It's not exactly a group of death with only Denmark the most dangerous

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:46am
Evans and Lewis, maybe Price and Bradley in the future.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:36am
Bradley the only one who I think in a few years we'll regret missing out on.

Despite the weakness in their current squad, they have a very favourable group. If they can get a result against Finland this week they'll be in with a chance 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:44am
If we're talking about current squad's, not one player would make our squad. Evans is a 35yo CB who hasn't played 10mins of football since October and has pulled out of North's squad due to injury.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:58am
I think McNair is the only one that I think is a debatable possibility. Evans would have waltzed into our team at any time in the past., but not necessarily now. I also think we would be prioritising our current young lads over the likes of Price and Charles.

Then, the likes of McGennis is behind Will Keane in the Wigan team. Obgene is a regular in the Rotherham team, and having a better season than Washington. Defensively, we have enough options not to needs players like Lewis who might otherwise make the squad if he was in form. Keeperwise, Bazunu and Kelleher would make their squad, and one of them would hold the Number 1 jersey. Max O'Leary would also stake a claim.

I dont think much of our current squad to be honest, but I think MON will have a job or work on his hands to get a tune out of this squad.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think McNair is the only one that I think is a debatable possibility. Evans would have waltzed into our team at any time in the past., but not necessarily now. I also think we would be prioritising our current young lads over the likes of Price and Charles.

Then, the likes of McGennis is behind Will Keane in the Wigan team. Obgene is a regular in the Rotherham team, and having a better season than Washington. Defensively, we have enough options not to needs players like Lewis who might otherwise make the squad if he was in form. Keeperwise, Bazunu and Kelleher would make their squad, and one of them would hold the Number 1 jersey. Max O'Leary would also stake a claim.

I dont think much of our current squad to be honest, but I think MON will have a job or work on his hands to get a tune out of this squad.

Weak squad or not, I guarantee you they will be a lot more of a cohesive unit defensively under O'Neill as opposed to our side under Kenny. They'll get at least draw with Finland imo and have an excellent chance at second spot. They'll be in contention for qualification from the group a lot longer than us  with that dream draw as 5th seeds Cry

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Weak squad or not, I guarantee you they will be a lot more of a cohesive unit defensively under O'Neill as opposed to our side under Kenny. They'll get at least draw with Finland imo and have an excellent chance at second spot. They'll be in contention for qualification from the group a lot longer than us  with that dream draw as 5th seeds Cry

I certainly envy their draw. Thats for sure. And I wouldn't disagree with MON setting out his stall strictly around the back.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm
Don't think they'll be competitive this time around, previously they had 2 technically proficient players in midfield running the show - Davis & Dallas.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm
He'll make them hard to score against and dangerous from set pieces. That alone can make you competitive in international football (something we seem to have forgotten). You wouldn't know in that group, they could give it a run alright. Would likely be the worst team at the finals if they qualified though, looking at their squad.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:03pm
Bradley, Ballard, McNair and Lewis would be the only ones who would even make our squad I reckon. Saville if he was on good form, I suppose.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Bradley, Ballard, McNair and Lewis would be the only ones who would even make our squad I reckon. Saville if he was on good form, I suppose.

So you’re taking Bradley over one of Coleman/Doherty?

And Ballard doesn’t get near our squad, centre back is where we are stocked with quality.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:10pm

And Ballard doesn’t get near our squad, centre back is where we are stocked with quality.
Sorry should have clarified, Bradley would be one for the future. He wouldn't get in ahead of the current lads, no.

Not sure if I agree with you on Ballard. From what I've seen of the two of them, I personally think he is a bit better than Omobamidele, but of course AO is a few years younger.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm

Bradley looks a talent. He's had a very good loan at Bolton. He could be a PL regular down the line.

Which makes Liverpool signing Calvin Ramsay look a bit strange. He's a talent himself. But has been injured for most of the season.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
The calculation seems to be that Bradley is a good player, but he will fall short of what would be needed to make it at Liverpool. 

His level will probably be lower end EPL or the top end of the Championship. Which is still decent going.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm

The calculation seems to be that Bradley is a good player, but he will fall short of what would be needed to make it at Liverpool. 

His level will probably be lower end EPL or the top end of the Championship. Which is still decent going.

I'm not sure that has been decided just yet, he's still very young, 19yo and is having a good loan at the top end of L1, having been given his debut by Klopp last season as an 18yo. Ramsey has been plagued with injuries since he arrived and as a result may struggle to make the grade. Bradley could yet have a future at Liverpool, albeit probably as a squad player at best. He's been good at Bolton, contributed a couple of goals and assists and has stayed mostly fit I think which is a good sign. He could yet have a pretty high ceiling imo. I was disappointed he plumped for the North and I think he will be too in time, looking at their squad. He would have had a fair chance of breaking into our squad next campaign.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Ireland United
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:03pm
Re Conor Bradley, definitely one that got away as he 100% is Irish, supports Ireland, played GAA with his local club and school CBS Omagh (Conor was in Croke Park on St Patrick's day cheering on his former school & team mates win the All Ireland Hogan Cup)
Would loved to have seen him play for Ireland, have to respect his decision but while Conor played GAA for his local club, he is from a fairly unionist village nearby, things being the way they are up here, their family business in the town could have come under threat had he switched to play for Ireland as is was eligible to do.
Sad but true the way things still are up here, especially as his former GAA teamate 'Cead McGrath" who wile still born in the North, is from.a more Nationalist /Republican area a few miles down the road, Cead plays for Finn Harps & has captained Ireland u16s.
Ultimately though its both players choices, obviously I'd like to see them both playing for Ireland, think Conor would definitely have been in the mix if he keeps progressing.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:07pm
Yes I agree. I was disappointed he went with them also. I don't think he'll make it at Liverpool long term all the same, but he should have a good career at a decent level.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:08pm
Yes, it's disappointing - probably for all concerned. 

NI were very cute in getting both Conor Bradley and Shea Charles cap-tied at the ages of 17/18.

Posted By: PaddyMaddenIsCounty!
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:11pm

Yes I agree. I was disappointed he went with them also. I don't think he'll make it at Liverpool long term all the same, but he should have a good career at a decent level.
Think Bradley probably get loan move to championship next year and then maybe spent year or 2 as squad player and get a decent move like Neco Williams. I think he will have good career 

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:13pm
In fairness rness we have plenty coming through in that position that look like they will have very good careers, Festy, Danny Mc, Andy Lyons and Sam Curtis 

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
it's a long way from the squad Michael O'Neill had the last time around. They'd a lot of very strong players in 2016 that would have walked into our first XI never mind squad. the likes of Brunt, Steven Davis, Hughes, McAuley, and then Evans and Cathcart in the prime of their careers. That's a very strong core that could be relied upon to keep it organised and make them hard to beat. 

I think there's a bit of an assumption that MO'N will make them hard to beat this time around automatically by virtue of being hired again - that's an awful lot easier when you've proven players like the above. They've a dream draw especially given their seeding but i wouldn't expect them to be anywhere near the business end. It's an absolutely awful squad. 

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:40pm
Always thought McNair was a very decent player. Good all rounder. Id play him in midfield. Hes very decent.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Always thought McNair was a very decent player. Good all rounder. Id play him in midfield. Hes very decent.

Agree 

He’s as good if not better than some midfielders who start for us regularly 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:55pm

He'll make them hard to score against and dangerous from set pieces. That alone can make you competitive in international football (something we seem to have forgotten). You wouldn't know in that group, they could give it a run alright. Would likely be the worst team at the finals if they qualified though, looking at their squad.

Spot on. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:09pm

Agree 

He doesn't even play in midfield for Boro, does he? I'd say at best he'd be competing with Browne/Smallbone for the last centre mid berth in the squad, and he certainly wouldn't be getting in as a centre back.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:09pm

Agree 

That's a fair comment i think. He's only 27 too insee. Thought he was older.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: PaddyMaddenIsCounty!
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:17pm

Agree 

That's a fair comment i think. He's only 27 too insee. Thought he was older.
Been playing centre-back last few seasons but dropped down pecking order since Lenihan signed and they switched formation. Useful utility player but would struggle get a game with us

Posted By: Sheedy11
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:07pm
McNair's a very useful player. Technically sound, versatile and a good set piece-taker. I always thought he would have made a good signing at a smaller/newly-promoted  PL team like a Burnley, or similar, and has obviously played at that level before. He'd easily improve our midfield options. And of course he'd get into our squad.

As far as the debate over comparative squad strengths is concerned, as well as Johnny Evans, Steve Davis and Stuart Dallas, NI are also missing Corey Evans, Ally McCann, Liam Boyce and Shane Lavery, who are all important players for them, and would make their squad look significantly stronger.

I suspect NI fans might look at our squad, too, and find themselves a little less than impressed.

Jason Knight, for example, has spent much of this season as an auxiliary right back/ utility player at his League One club, yet is probably a nailed-on starter for us in a crucial midfield role for the France game. You can look at some of the names in the North's squad and question its quality but the likes of McClean, Hendrick, McGrath and Keane etc aren't exactly stellar names themselves.

I agree with the previous poster. In reality, whilst our squad may look a little stronger on paper, O'Neill's return immediately makes them a far more formidable proposition, because having a competent, capable coach in charge, as NI now have, makes a huge difference at this level. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they outperformed Kenny's Ireland over the coming qualification campaign. In fact I fully expect them to do so.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:15pm
N.Ireland would get torn apart right now in our group i believe. They have a horrid favourable group. They may be in the shake up for 2nd in that if they perform well. I think everyone of our squad O'Neill would gladly take with open arms. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:16pm
Hows McNair getting into the squad when Lenihan can't?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Sheedy11 Sheedy11 wrote:

McNair's a very useful player. Technically sound, versatile and a good set piece-taker. I always thought he would have made a good signing at a smaller/newly-promoted  PL team like a Burnley, or similar, and has obviously played at that level before. He'd easily improve our midfield options. And of course he'd get into our squad.

As far as the debate over comparative squad strengths is concerned, as well as Johnny Evans, Steve Davis and Stuart Dallas, NI are also missing Corey Evans, Ally McCann, Liam Boyce and Shane Lavery, who are all important players for them, and would make their squad look significantly stronger.

I suspect NI fans might look at our squad, too, and find themselves a little less than impressed.

Jason Knight, for example, has spent much of this season as an auxiliary right back/ utility player at his League One club, yet is probably a nailed-on starter for us in a crucial midfield role for the France game. You can look at some of the names in the North's squad and question its quality but the likes of McClean, Hendrick, McGrath and Keane etc aren't exactly stellar names themselves.

I agree with the previous poster. In reality, whilst our squad may look a little stronger on paper, O'Neill's return immediately makes them a far more formidable proposition, because having a competent, capable coach in charge, as NI now have, makes a huge difference at this level. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they outperformed Kenny's Ireland over the coming qualification campaign. In fact I fully expect them to do so.

Our squad is lightyears, literally lightyears, ahead of NI. NI basically have a L1 squad with some Championship players thrown in. We now have a squad composed of EPL and Championship players, with loads of other Championship players available to us not even making the squad.

Knight would automatically be NI's best midfielder (maybe even best player, given Evans advanced age, Dallas injury, and Lewis lack of gametime) if he played for them. The squads are incomparable, as suggested by our seeding.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

How many centre backs do we need though? We have 4 already and Coleman can fill in if needed. Is there any point in centre backs sitting on the bench.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:41pm

How many centre backs do we need though? We have 4 already and Coleman can fill in if needed. Is there any point in centre backs sitting on the bench.

My point being that Lenihan is a better CB than McNair and can't make our squad.

I do think we are light on CB's though. 1 or 2 niggles and you are playing Coleman or whoever out of position. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm
Hypothetically McNair would be a midfielder in our squad. My squad anyway.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:52pm
Don’t think it matters how weak looking NI’s group is on paper
That squad are getting nowhere near the Euros surely 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
These lads did help out in costing Italy a place in the World Cup 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:54pm

If that's the case and we're playing him out of position(when's the last time he's played consistently in that role?) then he wouldn't be taking a spot of any of our current mids.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:00pm

If that's the case and we're playing him out of position(when's the last time he's played consistently in that role?) then he wouldn't be taking a spot of any of our current mids.

Dont over think it. Hes played there loads of times for N.Ireland. not sure how many but numerous.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:01pm

Dont over think it. Hes played there loads of times for N.Ireland. not sure how many but numerous.

Who are you taking out to put McNair in?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:18pm
The family of 'Josh Magennis' must definitely not like anything nationalist spelling there name like that instead ot 'McGuinness'

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

The family of 'Josh Magennis' must definitely not like anything nationalist spelling there name like that instead ot 'McGuinness'

Magennis is just the way the exact same name was anglicised in Scotland.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:56pm
Big international week and we’re talking paddy McNair 😂

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Big international week and we’re talking paddy McNair 😂

Aye it's a thread about the NI squad and comparisons to ours.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:43pm
Some amount of them born in England 

Posted By: Celticbhoy32
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:20pm
how players like Bradley turn out for them baffles me. Flying their linfield loyal flags etc in the crowd. Vermin 

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:27pm
8 of the starting 11 are English, also 2 of the 5 subs.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

That's gas considering the grief they try to give us 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:59pm
Rugby and Cricket got lucky in that it embraced the 'United Ireland' thing 

I would welcome a United Ireland football team but just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Lots of positives and negatives too it  

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I believe Price also grew up in England.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 12:35pm
Yes, he was one the two subs I referred to above.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Nice one Muff! Always underestimating how sh*te the North really are.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:42pm
Massive opportunity blown by the north tonight. 

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:49pm
They’ll finish second bottom of this group
Very poor squad 

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:52pm
Poor squad but they will improve gave it everything and will be hard to beat .

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

They are absolute grim to watch! O’Neill would be on a good wage there too! Only look dangerous from set plays.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:04pm
The quality just dosent seem to be there 2nd time round. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:12pm
Shea Charles looks quite good, albeit might lack the athleticism for the top level.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:15pm
Thought Bradley was the best player on the park tonight. He really looks like he could be something special. Still only 19 and a bit raw, but he really does have the potential to have a top level carer. I'd love to know of we ever chased him because he could have been the long term replacement for Coleman. Deffo one that got away 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Thought Bradley was the best player on the park tonight. He really looks like he could be something special. Still only 19 and a bit raw, but he really does have the potential to have a top level carer. I'd love to know of we ever chased him because he could have been the long term replacement for Coleman. Deffo one that got away 

There's a post on the second page of this thread that possibly explains why he is playing for the north. A sad situation for him if it's true.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

There's a post on the second page of this thread that possibly explains why he is playing for the north. A sad situation for him if it's true.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Was he ever asked to play for us is what I was wondering? I get the sense he was fast tracked so quickly in the senior team, he had even made our radar yet 

-------------

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
Didn't Jim Crawford pass comment about the there being interested in him from the FAI and then he got his senior call up for NI.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 11:00pm
I suppose the other side of it is he has 12 senior caps now. If he went with us he'd probably have no caps and would have been playing down in Cork today instead of Sam Curtis. 

It's the Michael O'Neill argument I suppose, play for the north because the team is sh*tter so you'll get picked. Unlikely to work on any player who is genuinely set on playing for us, but for someone who isn't too bothered either way it might influence the decision.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 11:08pm
I'm not sure I entirely see the hype with Bradley, he's got good athleticism but I wouldn't say he's exceptionally skillful or anything. Looks a less talented version of Neco Williams from what I've seen.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:32am
Poor defending for the goal. Really all over the shop. Made a fist of it afterwards, and had a few chances.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:14am
On a brighter note for the North, they're one appearance away from cap-tying young Isaac Price, 19 year-old academy midfielder at Everton.  

Doing a Shea Charles/ Conor Bradley on him - cap-tying him while he's still a teenager and an academy player.

Just watched the highlights there - NI were fairly unlucky on balance - poor finishing let them down. 

With different strikers Bradley would have had four assists to add to his goal saving block on Pukki.  

Bradley looks like he could become a serious player - shame to not have him in our camp. 

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:40am

They are absolute grim to watch! O’Neill would be on a good wage there too! Only look dangerous from set plays.

Their set plays were absolutely chronic! Dion Charles and Bradley look like livewires but are extremely raw

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:56am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Their set plays were absolutely chronic! Dion Charles and Bradley look like livewires but are extremely raw

Dion Charles is 27.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:00pm
Young Charles 

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:23pm
I don’t want to get started on it but it’s such a pity for ourselves and the North we don’t merge to create one team. They are gonna proper struggle don’t have the players. Zero benefit to both nations. 
Watching them last night they have a couple of very promising young players in Bradley and Charles. Can see why Dortmund are closely looking at signing Shea Charles he looked by far the most composed midfielder on the pitch in the first half last night.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I don’t want to get started on it but it’s such a pity for ourselves and the North we don’t merge to create one team. They are gonna proper struggle don’t have the players. Zero benefit to both nations. 
Watching them last night they have a couple of very promising young players in Bradley and Charles. Can see why Dortmund are closely looking at signing Shea Charles he looked by far the most composed midfielder on the pitch last night.

You must have watched the highlights, Shea Charles was poor last night there was a reason he came off when they needed a goal.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:29pm

Watching them last night they have a couple of very promising young players in Bradley and Charles. Can see why Dortmund are closely looking at signing Shea Charles he looked by far the most composed midfielder on the pitch in the first half last night.

You must have watched the highlights, Shea Charles was poor last night there was a reason he came off when they needed a goal.

Watched the first half and he was very good. Carved out a clear cut opportunity which led to Dion Charles missing a chance he should have buried. 

Did he go downhill in the 2nd half? 

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:36pm

Watched the first half and he was very good. Carved out a clear cut opportunity which led to Dion Charles missing a chance he should have buried. 

Did he go downhill in the 2nd half? 
m
Midfield was bypassed mainly so maybe was a bit harsh calling him poor but didn’t do anything of note! Don’t see the hype yet to be linked with the likes of Dortmund.

Posted By: GAWA
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:39am
Jeepers you’d think some were comparing the NI squad to Brazil on here.LOL

-------------
jon alexander

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by GAWA GAWA wrote:

Jeepers you’d think some were comparing the NI squad to Brazil on here.LOL

We're not Brazil, we're Republic of Ireland.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:27pm
Interesting to see Michael O'Neill sitting with Keith Andrews at the Rotherham v Cardiff game tonight. Currently the only Northern Ireland eligible player on the pitch is Mark McGuinness.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:31pm
Wouldn't read too much into it, Ferguson is on the bench for Rotherham and (a more likely eligible target) Wickham for Cardiff. I think McGuinness will wait at least a few years before considering a change, if at all.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net