Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58704
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mikey Johnston
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Mikey Johnston
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:13pm
Declared and in with a shot of being included in the Latvia/France squad if his registration is settled in time. 

Currently playing for a high-level team in Portugal, Vitoria Guimaraes, in fifth just behind Sporting Lisbon, though recently lost his starting slot. 

Kenny said today: 

“He has attributes that, to be honest, we probably don’t have in the squad.  A winger of that ilk, a right footed left winger who can dribble and take people inside or outside.  I thought the paperwork would have been done last week but it’s still not through. We’ll have to assess if he’s in the next squad but I expect him to be important and very much be involved in the campaign ahead".

Replies:
Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm
Wonder does he see him as a potential wing back option? For people who watched him at Celtic more frequently than me would he appeal as a type that could play that role?

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:42pm
I wish Mikey the best of luck but he does seem injury prone.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Wonder does he see him as a potential wing back option? For people who watched him at Celtic more frequently than me would he appeal as a type that could play that role?

Haven't seen him play in Portugal, but nothing I saw of him in a Celtic shirt would scream wing back. Old fashioned tricky winger is how I'd describe him. Very hard to see him being as heavily involved as Kenny seems to suggest, unless we see a change of tactical approach to some games,  which I would welcome.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 8:29pm
Kenny surely must be looking at 433 4231 again. 

Posted By: gongman
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 1:26am
Agree with this. Can’t see him playing as a wing back, he’s an old school tricky winger.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 4:04pm
Welcome onboard Jinky Junior Smile 

Not the most exciting switch of allegiance imo, but he's only 23 and definitely has ability. Good luck to him, hopefully he can stay injury free and kick on in his career.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Welcome onboard Jinky Junior Smile 

Not the most exciting switch of allegiance imo, but he's only 23 and definitely has ability. Good luck to him, hopefully he can stay injury free and kick on in his career.
Post moved to the thread started last week. please have a quick scout around before starting new threadsThumbs Up

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 6:16pm
Unless we're moving to a back 4 this window I really don't see the point in calling him up this month. It would surely make more sense to call up one of the fringe midfielders/attacking mids/wing-backs if we're sticking with 5-3-2.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:33pm
His club have confirmed his call up to the Ireland senior squad for the March games anyway. Will be interesting to see if he lasts any longer than CJ Hamilton did.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:34pm
Supposedly already called up to the Ireland squad?
Seems very strange?
I think his club just mean available to play or there is some confusion.
If true doesn't quite sit right that he is getting very special treatment.
It is not like we just convinced Damien Duff to play for us.
Where is he going to play. Formation change would make sense but whatever, wait and see I suppose

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Seems very strange?
Where is he going to play. Formation change would make sense but whatever, wait and see I suppose

Granny rulers always have got special treatment . But suppose Kenny will be trying to paint this as some sort of win. Could be in the long term. Who knows.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:43pm
Really bizarre.. who knows what SK thinks he's achieving with this one. Is he planning to go back to that turgid 3-4-3? This lad is not even close to being worthy of tactical adjustments being made for him.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Seems very strange?

Players that make the extended squad their clubs are likely informed a week before the squads named that they could be called up for international duty.

It's like MON and his 40 man squads that then got reduced a week later. Just now we're not announcing who makes the extended squads.

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Really bizarre.. who knows what SK thinks he's achieving with this one. Is he planning to go back to that turgid 3-4-3? This lad is not even close to being worthy of tactical adjustments being made for him.

Doubt he's coming in for anything more than the coaches getting a better look at him in training.

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm
Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them. We play rubbish in any system with wingers too so can't see this working unless he's shoehorned into a wingback or striker/midfield role which I don't think the lad can even play as.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:54pm
Fair point about the extended squad, forgot that's a thing LOL

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
I don't think there's any great mystery here. Kenny was always going to pick him, as an under pressure manager he seems to see this as some kind of win he can sell to the public. The clubs get notice of the call ups well in advance, there's just usually an assumed embargo on publishing the details until the national association have done it. Vitória probably haven't realised this and have just gone and released the details anyway.

I suspect he'll win a few caps under Kenny and once Kenny is gone, unless he finds another level in his club career, he'll disappear out of the squad like Curtis, Horgan and many others before him.

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them. We play rubbish in any system with wingers too so can't see this working unless he's shoehorned into a wingback or striker/midfield role which I don't think the lad can even play as.

Not as weird as this post. Are you really suggesting Kenny picked him (though it is still to be confirmed he will make the final squad) because he plays for Celtic?

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:11pm
Must have some Agent this lad because the fuss made of him by the media, the FAI media pages and fan debates that have generated is something else! Hopefully he does well for us but in all honesty a 23 year old sent on loan from Celtic getting this hype is unwarranted in my opinion and might be a hindrance to the lad if he doesn't perform. Hopefully he does well for us if called up and at his age he has time to kick on in his career which would be good for him and us... 

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:15pm
Ah yeah extended squads LOL
Still though. Lots of noise being made for this lad.
Him waltzing straight into the main squad would piss me off tbh.
We have young players coming through that have earned a place.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Must have some Agent this lad because the fuss made of him by the media, the FAI media pages and fan debates that have generated is something else! Hopefully he does well for us but in all honesty a 23 year old sent on loan from Celtic getting this hype is unwarranted in my opinion and might be a hindrance to the lad if he doesn't perform. Hopefully he does well for us if called up and at his age he has time to kick on in his career which would be good for him and us... 

Tbf, what fuss? There's been an article from a sports journalist and a post on the FAI's twitter that he has been cleared to play. We're hardly talking wall-to-wall coverage here, in fact unless you were actually following the Irish team specifically I doubt you'd have a clue what was going on with him.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:23pm
The 'noise' around this fella is coming from social media accounts and on here. It's not as if Football Ireland, SK or any of his staff are saying much about him apart from the fact that there is mutual interest in representing us.

If he is brought into the squad for the Latvia game, wether to look at him in training or some mins on pitch, then I don't see much issue with that as long as he's not taking the place of someone more deserving in that position. We're not excactly stacked on wingers. 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Tbf, what fuss? There's been an article from a sports journalist and a post on the FAI's twitter that he has been cleared to play. We're hardly talking wall-to-wall coverage here, in fact unless you were actually following the Irish team specifically I doubt you'd have a clue what was going on with him.

Exactly, Ive seen no more fuss than there was when Callum Robinson switched for example.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

The 'noise' around this fella is coming from social media accounts and on here. It's not as if Football Ireland, SK or any of his staff are saying much about him apart from the fact that there is mutual interest in representing us.

If he is brought into the squad for the Latvia game, wether to look at him in training or some mins on pitch, then I don't see much issue with that as long as he's not taking the place of someone more deserving in that position. We're not excactly stacked on wingers. 

Ireland Football*
In fairness we don't even play with wingers so he will be taking the place of someone more deserving LOL

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:43pm
Ireland Hoofball

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:43pm
Will Keane got similar talk when he first came into the fold. 

I don’t know much about Johnston but when you are going to have multiple midfield or attacking options playing for Preston,Wigan,Reading and even Derby County in League 1 it’s hardly a massive crime to be selecting a guy getting reasonable gametime for Vitoria. 

Not that I’m getting carried away with his inclusion. 

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:09pm

I don’t know much about Johnston but when you are going to have multiple midfield or attacking options playing for Preston,Wigan,Reading and even Derby County in League 1 it’s hardly a massive crime to be selecting a guy getting reasonable gametime for Vitoria. 

I'm not sure he deserves a call up on current form, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. This lad was doing very well up to age 21, when injuries began to blight his career. He won 3rd best player at  the Toulon tournament for Scotland as an 18yo and was doing very well at Celtic over the next couple of seasons until his injury issues flared up.

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at), but tbf the lad has demonstrated a fair bit of talent in the past and he is a good 4 years younger than CJ Hamilton. I wouldn't personally have him in the squad right now, but I'll reserve judgement on this one., It might be a shrewd move in the medium term.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
Yep. Hopefully will be shrewd and maybe this gives him new energy to kick on. I don't see it personally in the short term because I wouldn't be liking him narrow and we don;t play with wingers. Medium term. Maybe with a new formation or in 12 months with a new manager it could work out.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:52pm

I'm not sure he deserves a call up on current form, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. This lad was doing very well up to age 21, when injuries began to blight his career. He won 3rd best player at  the Toulon tournament for Scotland as an 18yo and was doing very well at Celtic over the next couple of seasons until his injury issues flared up.

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at), but tbf the lad has demonstrated a fair bit of talent in the past and he is a good 4 years younger than CJ Hamilton. I wouldn't personally have him in the squad right now, but I'll reserve judgement on this one., It might be a shrewd move in the medium term.

There was similar eyebrows raised when he first called up Ogbene playing in League One after being out injured for a few months and not exactly pulling up any trees. He was also then playing a RWB. Kenny got him in and played up front and hes been one of our better players.

If it works out, great, if it doesn't, no harm done. One cap wonders have always been a thing.

He'd a good eye for it with Szmodics and Sykes in League One too who then went on to making the step up to the Championship and currently doing very well, they could be decent squad options for us going forward.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:20pm

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at)

Regardless of his inclusion, the level he's playing at the moment(if playing consistently) is much higher than L1.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:33pm

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at)

Regardless of his inclusion, the level he's playing at the moment(if playing consistently) is much higher than L1.

Agreed the level is higher than L1, but he's only started 8 of 23 games for them and while the traditional top 3 teams in that League are pretty good plus more recently Braga, the rest are pretty meh. Vitoria are 5th. but 12 pts off 3rd and have only scored 24 goals in 23 games. Best of the Rest maybe this year, they have been 6th, 6th, 7th over the last 3 seasons and were knocked out in the early qualifying rounds for the Conference League this season.

The portugese League itself despite Benfica and Porto doing pretty well most years in CL (perennial Last 16 - QF for Benfica this year) isnt ranked much higher than the SPL in the UEFA Ranking system (7th vs 9th), so how much better a team like Vitoria might be compared with a Hearts for example is open to question.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 9:56pm

Plenty of it is coming From the FAI twitter...

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Plenty of it is coming From the FAI twitter...

Where?

Literally one post to say he has received international clearance.

Posted By: GaretFarellysNutSack
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:13pm
how come scotland don't want him?

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

how come scotland don't want him?

Because Scotland have a 'golden generation' at the moment - that is despite them losing 4-2 over two games to our worst ever team...

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:20pm
Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he should be in their squad - or ours for that matter.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he should be in their squad - or ours for that matter.

Yes, nothing other than:

-  playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- playing over 80 games for Celtic by the age of 22;
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 Scottish FA Cup medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;
- being only 23 with a high ceiling ahead of him; and
- being the kind of tricky winger type player that we don't really have at present.

Other than that, he's brutal and it's a disgrace that we should be considering him for our squad. 

Really need to be picking Daryl Horgan for that spot in the squad.

Or, to put it another way, he's achieved far more already than Ray Houghton had when Jack initially picked him.  

If Johnston ultimately achieves even half of what Houghton did, his selection will have been a very good move.

If not, it's no loss.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us - he's an exciting player - and I expect he'll be a positive squad addition.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Yes, nothing other than:

-  playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;
- being the kind of tricky winger type player that we don't really have at present.

Other than that, he's brutal and it's a disgrace that we should be considering him for our squad. 

Celtic dont deem his fit for purpose. Never stood out when i watched him play for them before either. Ill hold my judgement but i wont be holding out hope hes going to turn into a world beater. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Yes, nothing other than:

playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;

I agree with the gist of your post but just to clarify - He has started 8 of their 23 games in the League this season with 7 sub apps, so has featured in 15 of their 23 League games. He has registered 1 goal and 2 assists in 742 minutes, so has played about 35% of the available 2070 minutes in the League.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 10:06pm
There’s a large overreaction here from a lot of posters. Johnson is a decent enough winger with more technical ability than most of our squad; whether his final-product has improved enough to warrant him starting any games for us or not remains to be seen. Kenny had nothing to loose by calling him up and, to be fair, far more limited players have been regulars in our squad. Best of luck to him. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 10:10pm

Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them.

I highly doubt Kenny gives two f**ks who he plays for. Also, “Celtic obsession”?? Not in this forum, that’s for sure; I’ve seen plenty of anti-Celtic vibes here, most of them completely unnecessary.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 9:19am
I only see him as a player to come off the bench to try and create something when your in need of a goal, especially against weaker opposition whereby we struggle at times to create and score goals.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: kelvin
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:54am
Not heard any positive things about him from Scottish or non-Scottish Celtic supporters.

Can't say I know anything about him myself but surely can't be worse than some of the fringe players we have in that position.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 12:02pm
Who are our fringe players in his position though - Ogbene? Robinson? He's not as good as either of them. He's probably no worse than Horgan, Curtis or Hamilton but they don't get in the squad anyway so that's not a particularly high bar he's clearing there and doesn't mean he should be fast tracked into the senior squad.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 6:20pm

no worse than Horgan, Curtis or Hamilton 

He’s better than any of them for sure. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 11:38am
Came off the bench on the 60 minute mark in a 2-0 home defeat for Vitoria to Arouca in the Portugese League yesterday. Poor result for them. In any case, I suspect he'll be in the squad given the media coverage.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 12:19pm
Johnston has plenty of talent but had a bad time of it with injuries.  He's definitely worth getting on board, and can still have a good career with Celtic.  

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:23pm
Surprised Northern Ireland didn't try go for him 

Grandfather is from Derry/Londonderry
(Runs from cover here)

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

Hes not that far gone

Yet

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm

(Runs from cover here)

His grandfather would say he's from Derry - which pretty much says it all.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:34pm

(Runs from cover here)

f**k out of here with that sh*t. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:37pm
LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!

Him or me? 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:34pm

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!

Him or me? 
Certainly not you!

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 9:22pm

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!

Him or me? 
Certainly not you!

Well tbf I’m probably a bit of a ****, lol, but I’m away down the scale from f**kface above ^ 

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:01pm
Called up, meh

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:03pm
Not really excited about this one. Nothing against the lad but he's a winger called up in a team that can only play tactics not including wingers. 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
Provides another option, then. He has pace and trickery, a good addition I think and if he can steer clear of the injuries that have held him back, he could be a very significant asset.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:09pm
I'd say he'll get about half a dozen caps and then never be seen again to be honest.

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:15pm
He’s our superstar from Portugal 

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:00pm

I'd say he'll get about half a dozen caps and then never be seen again to be honest.

I doubt it seeing as he’s streets ahead of numerous lads who, in the last 10 years or so, have received more caps than that. 

-------------

Posted By: Sheedy11
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:22pm
Question marks from some over the level he's playing at but, for what it's worth, Sporting - one place ahead of Victoria in the Primeira Liga - have just knocked the PL leaders, Arsenal, out of Europe.

Posted By: MrWhitty
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:55pm
He was clearly very brave in his decision to try and further his career in Portugal it would of been much easier to stick to the norm, head down south and battle it out in the Championship. 
We haven't had a winger with any real sort of skill since McGeady so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 11:08am
Sporting are also 10 points ahead of them with a 26 goal better goal difference. It's a bit like comparing Hearts to the Rangers because they're only one place behind them in the table, but they're miles behind them in reality.

And he's not even a regular starter for them.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm

Sporting are also 10 points ahead of them with a 26 goal better goal difference. It's a bit like comparing Hearts to the Rangers because they're only one place behind them in the table, but they're miles behind them in reality.

And he's not even a regular starter for them.

This, they are a team that were knocked out of the UEFA Conference League at the qualification stage - 5th or 6th best team in portugal, but just beaten at home by Arouca 2-0. Johnston has started just 8 of their 24 league games.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:35pm
Failed to make if off the bench yesterday in a 5 1 loss to Benfica.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:41pm

Failed to make if off the bench yesterday in a 5 1 loss to Benfica.

Wasn't even on the bench!

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:10am
Broke into the Celtic team quite young, showed a lot of promise and got a lot of game time, pacey and direct but finishing let's him down. Down the pecking order at Celtic after his injury, so shipped off to Portugal. Not playing much over there so not sure he merits inclusion in the squad.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Broke into the Celtic team quite young, showed a lot of promise and got a lot of game time, pacey and direct but finishing let's him down. Down the pecking order at Celtic after his injury, so shipped off to Portugal. Not playing much over there so not sure he merits inclusion in the squad.

Agree with all of that but I think that from Kenny’s point of view it’s probably a no-brainer to call him up as he’s more technical than most of our players; he offers a wide option, should we require it; and he’s young enough for his end-product to improve. That doesn’t guarantee he’ll do the business for us, but no harm having him in the squad anyway. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:24pm
I was surprised by Brady being left out of the squad as I felt he probably deserved to be in it but I don't mind the odd left-field decision by Kenny to include a player like Johnston in who arguably may have less merit to be included

Then again I've a soft spot for dribblers like McGeady so might be a bit biased in this regard if Johnston is similar. I'd nearly always have them in even if they're out of form. They can always get you frees or used as a late subs against tired defences. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: SeanC
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:56am
agree, always a good option off the bench when chasing games. Do the unexpected, make things happen even if not everything works out.

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:23pm
Been very impressive since he came on

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:26pm
He will excel for us

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:37pm
A breath of fresh air. A big future in green awaits. 

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:38pm
Absolute gem this kid. He's been deadly, mcgeadyesque

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:42pm
Many folk wrote this lad off before he even kicked a ball based on lazy assumptions re the Portuguese league, and the fact that the lad has been up against the reputation he set for himself as a player of high promise with Celtic. 

Football isn’t a linear trajectory to the top.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:46pm
I was cynical as wasn't sure how he would fit in. Still don't think we will play with wingers much but I do love a direct winger tbf.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Many folk wrote this lad off before he even kicked a ball based on lazy assumptions re the Portuguese league, and the fact that the lad has been up against the reputation he set for himself as a player of high promise with Celtic. 

International football is a different ball game for certain players 

He hasn’t “made it” either after one good cameo appearance against Latvia 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm

I was cynical as wasn't sure how he would fit in. Still don't think we will play with wingers much but I do love a direct winger tbf.

Which remains a fair concern as with Kenny’s preferred formation, it is hard to see where a player with his skillset can flourish. 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:51pm
Did well tonight, his performance was like some for Celtic, does lots of good things but doesn't finish.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

International football is a different ball game for certain players 

He hasn’t “made it” either after one good cameo appearance against Latvia 

No, a brief but promising cameo against poor opposition by no means serves as a body of work for declaratory statements, but by the same token, it should point in the direction of those who labelled him as a waste of space as being misguided.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:58pm

Which remains a fair concern as with Kenny’s preferred formation, it is hard to see where a player with his skillset can flourish. 

Its a tricky one. We don't really have good enough out and out full backs and we have good CBs so makes a back 5 necessary. And not sure we have the midfield to play a 343 consistently we would get overwhelmed most likely. We've also had poor wingers recently for the most part but hopefully that will change.
The team will evolve when we get the players with the correct skillsets I'm sure.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:01pm

Its a tricky one. We don't really have good enough out and out full backs and we have good CBs so makes a back 5 necessary. And not sure we have the midfield to play a 343 consistently we would get overwhelmed most likely. We've also had poor wingers recently for the most part but hopefully that will change.
The team will evolve when we get the players with the correct skillsets I'm sure.

100%

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:05pm
Very impressed with him - fans love watching this type of player.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:14pm

Did well tonight, his performance was like some for Celtic, does lots of good things but doesn't finish.

He could do with being a little more selfish, tried to square it a few times where he would have been better pulling the trigger himself.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm

That’s a bit harsh - he came on, looked lovely and set up a goal. 
I know what you’re saying about him at Celtic but I don’t think that applied tonight, tbf, albeit that it was a fairly brief cameo.  

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm
He's nowhere near the player McGeady was, but he's of a similar type and one we haven't had in a while. Very impressive first appearance from him.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's nowhere near the player McGeady was, but he's of a similar type and one we haven't had in a while. Very impressive first appearance from him.

Seems more direct 
Mcgeady would have taken the same fella on three times then lost it instead of having a shot first time 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:40pm
Excellent debut. 

Bang of McGeady off of him. 

Had he scored after beating three men on the run in from the bye-line, it would have been a goal for the ages. 

Looks like a very positive addition to the squad. 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:42pm
He was fantastic as a very young player for Celtic and we saw flashes of what he is capable of tonight. A great addition to re squad.

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:03am
As good a debut cameo as I can remember. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Shame he couldnt put the gloss on the scoreline with that bit of trickery. Jinky Junior!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 2:29am
Scottish FA might be getting there phones out 

You have too wonder why Scotland didn't call him up when he had that bright spell with Celtic years ago. He probably would of accepted it  

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:43am
It’s good to have a player who can take defenders on. Hard to see if he starts in the 3-5-2 but definitely an option to come on and affect the game. Needs to be close to the opposition box to have an impact though as he looked lost at times when he was deeper.

Would be surprised if he played any part against France if it’s a defensive performance.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:39am

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Shame he couldnt put the gloss on the scoreline with that bit of trickery. Jinky Junior!

Yep Jinky Johnson indeed Thumbs Up

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:44am
It's laughable that the Scots think they've some sort of golden generation coming through where they can turn their nose up at players like Johnston.

Any of their young players that I've seen coming through are either full backs or have flopped e.g. Billy Gilmour.

They've a few placeholder players like McTominay and Fraser at big clubs, but we all know they'll be slugging it out near the bottom of the table within the next 1-2 years.

They've no good centre backs coming through, and they don't have a clue how to produce a striker.

Welcome aboard Mikey, who'd want to play for that bigoted shower anyway?

Posted By: Celticbhoy32
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:04am
clarkes selections have baffled Scottish fans for years. Celtic forums have been largely sneery re Johnston declaring for us though. Alot of "not good enough for us" clowns, forgetting we hockeyed them 3-0 not so long ago. Like any winger he'll blow hot and cold but the moments of magic he can create will be invaluable going forward. 

Posted By: turbo10
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:55am
Its good to have him onboard. His skillset should come in handy in games against weaker teams, who we traditionally struggle to break down. Nice option off the bench aswell if we're chasing a goal.

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:08am
Thought he was very good when he came on. Was more impressed with Smallbone 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net