Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58572
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: SQUAD - November Friendlies
Posted By: John Nice
Subject: SQUAD - November Friendlies
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:06am
So what do we need to look at in November, I think both games need to be considered separately - the Norway game needs to be taken seriously and should comprise 7 or 8 of the first XI, so that we can see how the other 3 or 4 actually play in a first choice team. There is no need to experiment in the CB area, let the first choice CB's at it and see how they cope with Haaland if he plays. We shouldnt forget Norway are potential play off opponents, so we want a decent performance/result. We should be looking at options to improve the first XI given this is the last serious warm up game. Smallbone as one of the three in midfield and lets have a look at somebody other than Parrott to play alongside Obafemi (Connolly, Idah wont be fit, Robinson, Ogbene, Will Keane). We could maybe have a look at Manning as the LWB.

The Malta game is the one where we should be looking at players who could perhaps fill out the gaps in the squad - Wing Back cover - Sykes, Manning, Midfield - Coventry, Azaz.

20 of the 25 man squad look nailed on imo - 3 keepers, 2 RWBs, 2 LWBS, 5 CBs, 5 CMs and 3 Forwards look nailed on, so there are really only 5 spots up for grabs (1 DEF, 2 MID, 2 ATT). First team looks settled enough now, we still need to find an attacking midfielder and the spot alongside Obafemi is still up for grabs imo. It would be nice to find a more defensive minded LWB for away games vs top seeds also.

Last 2 warm up games before qualifying, I dont think we need to be overly experimental, thoughts?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Replies:
Posted By: 84ccfc84
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:45am
needs to be questions answered by sk if he doesnt start manning in this window. seems mental that he didnt even make the squad for the last 2 games.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

needs to be questions answered by sk if he doesnt start manning in this window. seems mental that he didnt even make the squad for the last 2 games.

Yeah the ongoing treatment of Manning is a bit surprising on the bare face of it, but I guess they went Mc Clean and Brady (didnt let them down tbf) in the last window and O'Dowda (who played there a handful of times for Cardiff this season) was in the squad also. In any case, you couldnt be sure that Brady's injury problems are behind him and Mc Clean is 33 now, so dont see why Manning wouldnt be worth another look.

O'Dowda, Smallbone, Manning, Sykes, Ebosele, Ronan, Connolly, Coventry, maybe Azaz are the ones I'd suggest could/should get a look in. Idah and/or Kilkenny if match fit (unlikely).

Longer shots are Taylor (relegation to L1 works against him), Harness (also L1, but in form for Ipswich), Szmodics, Mandroiu, Jack Byrne!!

Wing Back positions, midfield and support striker look the areas where we are a bit short (or will be in the not too distant future). Dont think we really need to be looking at other GKs or CBs at this stage. (Dunne, Scales, Lenihan all a bit unlucky in this regard)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:04pm
Manning, Sykes and Coventry are probably the ones that might be worth a look, or another look in Manning's case - he seems to be in good form at club level. I don't think Coventry has done enough to be honest, but we need better cover for Cullen and Molumby and there's little else out there to fill the backup role in that position, so might as well take a look at him. Sykes covers right wing back and central midfield, and is playing regularly in the Championship, so deserves a friendly cap to show what he can do I think.

A left field call would be Joe Hodge. I wouldn't usually favour calling in a player without senior experience, but it's a position of weakness, it's just a friendly window and a couple of our neighbours would probably call him up in similar circumstances. So, if he's the best prospect in that position, why not take an early look?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:11pm
Their shouldn't be too many adjustments and Kenny will most likely put out a strong team to win.

The last thing he needs is another loss. (at home). 

He might call up a couple of those players mentioned and also Coventry and Smallbone from the u21's. But I wouldn't expect them to see any game time.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:15pm
To start, I don't see many new names in the November squad as I'd say SK will focus on what he has and it's not like we have many lads that can be aggrieved at not being in the last squad.

But if we want to dip our toe in, then midfield is where we need immediate cover, which was proven so blatantly versus Armenia.
With that in mind I'd have Smallbone straight into the squad.

Coventry or Kilkenny (if fit) - I am not sure as they have done so little in their senior careers but then as stated, it's not unusual for International managers to call up an inexperienced lad to take a look (Mick did it with Connell).
Sykes seems a solid call.
Szmodics could see some form and get a 2nd call.

And if we want to dip into L1 for youth, the aforementioned Connell would be one to watch, aswell as the newly-discovered Azaz.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Manning, Sykes and Coventry are probably the ones that might be worth a look, or another look in Manning's case - he seems to be in good form at club level. I don't think Coventry has done enough to be honest, but we need better cover for Cullen and Molumby and there's little else out there to fill the backup role in that position, so might as well take a look at him. Sykes covers right wing back and central midfield, and is playing regularly in the Championship, so deserves a friendly cap to show what he can do I think.

A left field call would be Joe Hodge. I wouldn't usually favour calling in a player without senior experience, but it's a position of weakness, it's just a friendly window and a couple of our neighbours would probably call him up in similar circumstances. So, if he's the best prospect in that position, why not take an early look?

Re Hodge, I wouldn't normally be in favour as I'd say he's a fair way off it yet, but he's a talent and it might be worth giving him minutes vs Malta as I am led to believe there is some doubt over his commitment long term. It will be interesting to see if a new manager at Wolves moves the dial for him or probably more importantly at this point in time, Ronan.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

To start, I don't see many new names in the November squad as I'd say SK will focus on what he has and it's not like we have many lads that can be aggrieved at not beingin the last squad.

But if we want to dip our toe in, then midfield is where we need immediate cover, which was proven so blatantly versus Armenia.
With that in mind I'd have Smallbone straight into the squad.

Coventry or Kilkenny (if fit) - I am not sure as they have done so little in their senior careers but then as stated, it's not unusual for International managers to call up an inexperienced lad to take a look (Mick did it with Connell).
Sykes seems a solid call.
Szmodics could see some form and get a 2nd call.

And if we want to dip into L1 for youth, the aforementioned Connell would be one to watch, aswell as the newly-discovered Azaz.

I think Ebosele, after his in/out, then down to U21s and barely used, is one we should be including and giving minutes vs Malta. It's unlikely I know, but come March he could be playing regularly at the top end of Serie A, even if mainly off the bench.

He's also the type of player who can give a team a lift off the bench. Any time I saw him come off the bench for Derby, he got the crowd up and was very direct. In a tight game, a 10 minute cameo could make a difference.

It would be a shame also to lose a talent like Festy, brought up in the Wexford Schoolboys League, to another association.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:08pm
Having looked at u21s, I think Cashin, Smallbone and Coventry would be 3 who could be brought in for a closer look. 

Think the rest are not yet ready. Connolly has ability to get himself back up top if he gets a run together 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:20pm
Dont get yizzer hopes up for ay radical changes.

To quote David Sneyd from his one on one with Kenny over the weekend

He insisted that the friendlies with Norway and Malta next month will be used as a means to fine tune matters ahead of the Euro 2024 qualifiers in March, rather than an opportunity for further experimentation with new faces.

http://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-ireland-2-5881736-Oct2022/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-ireland-2-5881736-Oct2022/

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:36pm
Be similar to March with Ronan and Sykes. Probably see a couple of new faces just training with the squad. Strongest XI against Norway and a few changes for the Malta game.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Be similar to March with Ronan and Sykes. Probably see a couple of new faces just training with the squad. Strongest XI against Norway and a few changes for the Malta game.

Is the strongest XI sorted at this point? I think there's still question marks at least over the midfield vs the lower seeds and the support striker for Obafemi. Last chance to have a look.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Having looked at u21s, I think Cashin, Smallbone and Coventry would be 3 who could be brought in for a closer look. 

Think the rest are not yet ready. Connolly has ability to get himself back up top if he gets a run together 

I like the look of Cashin also and he's having a very good season for Derby by all accounts (Top rated Irish player on WhoScored in League One). I just think he's going to have to bide his time, there's far too much quality ahead of him in the senior set up atm.

Agree re the others, but Coventry needs game time.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
Smallbone should just come in instead of Conor Hourihane. He's young and talented so has a major upside over that nothing footballer who is consistently awful in a green shirt.

As for others probably just see who hits form I don't see a huge amount of changes either.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I like the look of Cashin also and he's having a very good season for Derby by all accounts (Top rated Irish player on WhoScored in League One). I just think he's going to have to bide his time, there's far too much quality ahead of him in the senior set up atm.

Agree re the others, but Coventry needs game time.

Yep Cashin looks very assured young player. Too bad he is yet another CB! 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm
Id like to see Jack Byrne in the squad. Have to get some creative players in the squad. He looks fit again and was brilliant for Shams at the weekend.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:33pm
Byrne is finished with Ireland.

Secondly kenny will make limited changes to the squad he h
a shown he is slow to change.

Barring a big injury list 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:39pm
He is not really slow to change in terms of squad selection or even team selection.

There is no media/fan darling being overlooked as there was under previous managers.

His slow to change critics are more about his in gane management 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm
Not that I expect many changes either. But if there is a player doing well at prem or champions level for their club I'm sure they would get a chance. 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:52pm

He is not really slow to change in terms of squad selection or even team selection.

There is no media/fan darling being overlooked as there was under previous managers.

He is slow to change it took him an age to get obafemi in when his form was good.

He also has reference including the players that had previously been in camps being selected over others.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

He is slow to change it took him an age to get obafemi in when his form was good.

He also has reference including the players that had previously been in camps being selected over others.

The only form Obafemi had since Kenny took over was this year and he was calling him up in March but Obafemi/club asked not to be called up, and he was called up in both squads since.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 6:02pm

Huh?

He only started to hit form last Feb/Mar just prior to the Belgium and Lithuania friendlies, he/Swansea opted to be left out of that squad in order to manage his injuries / work loads.

He was literally in the next squad come June. 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Huh?

He only started to hit form last Feb/Mar just prior to the Belgium and Lithuania friendlies, he/Swansea opted to be left out of that squad in order to manage his injuries / work loads.

Will likely come back saying I meant into the starting XI, and the first game he started in June he came off injured so chances are he mightn't have been fully fit in June.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 6:19pm

Huh?

Will likely come back saying I meant into the starting XI, and the first game he started in June he came off injured so chances are he mightn't have been fully fit in June.
I won’t he had shown more form that other strikers at varying points scoring at premier league level a higher level than other forwards in the squad.
He also wasn’t first choice when he was over the 21s.

He also over looked Scully at times when he was clearly in better form than parrot

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 7:03pm

Huh?

I won’t he had shown more form that other strikers at varying points scoring at premier league level a higher level than other forwards in the squad.

He also over looked Scully at times when he was clearly in better form than parrot

What are you taking about?

Obafemi played 57 minutes of PL football the season Kenny took charge of the senior team. Scored 0 goals. Spent most the season out injured, on the bench or playing reserve team football.

At what point did he deserve a call up over other strikers? LOL

As for Scully, what form? Scoring a few goals in that mickey mouse EFL trophy? or taking a few penos in League One? LOL

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 7:14pm

Jesus, Kenny just can't win either way with some lads!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 7:20pm

Jesus, Kenny just can't win either way with some lads!

45 players used in 28 games over 2 years, 27 used in last 8 games. I'd nearly have taken your point if it was entirely opposite to the one you made!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 7:20pm

Huh?

What are you taking about?

Obafemi played 57 minutes of PL football the season Kenny took charge of the senior team. Scored 0 goals. Spent most the season out injured, on the bench or playing reserve team football.

At what point did he deserve a call up over other strikers? LOL

As for Scully, what form? Scoring a few goals in that mickey mouse EFL trophy? or taking a few penos in League One? LOL
When did kenny give obafemi his first cap?

Scully was scoring plenty in League 1 and was doing better than parrot at times.

He also held on to Horgan for ages!

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:12pm
I hope there is an extended squad for the November window, with a view of finding more depth in midfield and RWB areas.
Mention already, Sykes, Smallbone, Szmodics for not capped yet options.
All three have been playing regularly for their Championship clubs when fit and available. 
Sykes has been in a squad or two already, Szmodics was in one squad but had to leave due to injury, Smallbone hasn't been in the senior squad yet.
Those three lads should be still playing in the Championship regularly come the Euro matches in March/June and could be an option. If even one of them is showing good form around next years windows at least he has them capped and integrated in the squad. 
Probably a few current fringe players like Manning, Lenihan, Scales, Keane, Connolly, McGrath etc if they are playing well or if there are injuries.
I can't justify players like Coventry or Ebosele if they are not playing. Will they be playing for their clubs come March/June?
Need to be looking at players who will be playing regularly at a high enough level and be an option come March/June.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I hope there is an extended squad for the November window, with a view of finding more depth in midfield and RWB areas.
All three have been playing regularly for their Championship clubs when fit and available. 
Sykes has been in a squad or two already, Szmodics was in one squad but had to leave due to injury, Smallbone hasn't been in the senior squad yet.
Those three lads should be still playing in the Championship regularly come the Euro matches in March/June and could be an option. If even one of them is showing good form around next years windows at least he has them capped and integrated in the squad. 
Probably a few current fringe players like Manning, Lenihan, Scales, Keane, Connolly, McGrath etc if they are playing well or if there are injuries.
I can't justify players like Coventry or Ebosele if they are not playing. Will they be playing for their clubs come March/June?
Need to be looking at players who will be playing regularly at a high enough level and be an option come March/June.

Udinese won again tonight, but Festy didn't get off the bench. It's a high level though. Still think he's worth a call up, don't want to lose him and you never know, he could easily get game time, he's making the bench every week.

Likewise with Coventry, he will almost certainly get a decent loan in Jan so likely to be playing regularly come the end of March. I'd have him in the squad in November even if he doesn't get much game time. Worth a look!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:47pm

Udinese won again tonight, but Festy didn't get off the bench. It's a high level though. Still think he's worth a call up, don't want to lose him and you never know, he could easily get game time, he's making the bench every week.

Likewise with Coventry, he will almost certainly get a decent loan in Jan so likely to be playing regularly come the end of March. I'd have him in the squad in November even if he doesn't get much game time. Worth a look!
5 wins on the bounce for udinese now, 1pt off top spot in Serie A. Festy making the bench, just needs a chance now!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 12:14am
Hes their 4th choice! He only got on in the first game as a 2nd choice because of injuries and they hadn't yet signed the other lad thats been getting game time ahead of him. He wont be getting a chance any time soon.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:20am

Yes Coventry and Ebosele are at high level clubs but currently not playing.
The other three are are currently playing regularly (I know Szmodics was out injured for a few weeks but his manager gave him game time as soon as he was available ahain).
Kenny will probably only call up 2 or 3 new players at most or if even, along with the other fringe squad players.
I think Sykes, Smallbone, Szmodics tick several boxes. Playing regularly in the Championship, Sykes could be an option as back-up to Doherty, Smallbone and Szmodics could add creativity or goals from midfield which is something the team lack.
I am just basing this on players who are currently playing regularly. That could all change in a months time with injuries, player falling in or out of favour or form.
Coventry COULD go on loan, but we don't know what level or if that loan works out or not. He could stay at West Ham waiting for his chance. Both Coventry or Ebosele could start playing for their clubs, then they could be seen as options but currently they are not and not looking like it either inless both go on loan after Xmas.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:31am

Yes Coventry and Ebosele are at high level clubs but currently not playing.
The other three are are currently playing regularly (I know Szmodics was out injured for a few weeks but his manager gave him game time as soon as he was available ahain).
Kenny will probably only call up 2 or 3 new players at most or if even, along with the other fringe squad players.
I think Sykes, Smallbone, Szmodics tick several boxes. Playing regularly in the Championship, Sykes could be an option as back-up to Doherty, Smallbone and Szmodics could add creativity or goals from midfield which is something the team lack.
I am just basing this on players who are currently playing regularly. That could all change in a months time with injuries, player falling in or out of favour or form.
Coventry COULD go on loan, but we don't know what level or if that loan works out or not. He could stay at West Ham waiting for his chance. Both Coventry or Ebosele could start playing for their clubs, then they could be seen as options but currently they are not and not looking like it either inless both go on loan after Xmas.

I wouldnt die in a ditch over Coventry to be honest, I'm not convinced he's ready in any case. 

Ebosele is a different kettle of fish for me, for one his l/t commitment has been questioned and you can be sure if we had a 20yo wing back on the subs bench for a Top 6 side every week in the PL, people would be clamouring for his inclusion (Udinese 3rd in Serie A currently). I also think he has the necessary attributes to be a useful impact sub as I have seen him do just that a number of times for Derby. Now I'm not claiming he's the second coming, he has plenty of learning still to do, but he has the raw attributes and I think with Doherty struggling for game time and Coleman 34 now, we should be having a look - a few minutes off the bench vs Norway if needed maybe, but definitely the last half hour vs Malta to see if he can influence the game. We had nobody vs Armenia who could just beat a man one on one and create space that way, Ebosele can do that. I would hate to lose Festy to another association - he is very high potential, in a way that Coventry probably isnt.

I agree with you re Sykes and particularly Smallbone, but unless Szmodics shows some serious form in the next month, he's way off. Think he's been out for the last month anyway.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:13pm
Watched Bristol City tonight. Sykes is very meh. A steady 6/10 player. All in all, I don’t envisage him adding anything to the squad other than emergency cover for injuries or suspensions.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 2:09pm
For those not interested in the UCL tonight, there are a lot of Irish squad players involved in the Championship tonight and a few interesting potential match ups. Parrott (hopefully) vs O'Shea in the live game on Sky, Smallbone vs Cullen.

Likely starts also for Ogbene, Hogan, Browne, Keane, McClean, Manning and Obafemi, who will hopefully return to the starting XI after his heroics at the weekend. Let's hope for s few goals with 5 of our strikers likely to be involved.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:21pm
https://punditarena.com/football/james-fenton/ireland-squad-qatar-world-cup/" rel="nofollow - Picking a hypothetical 26-man Ireland squad for the Qatar World Cup - Pundit Arena

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probably take a 5th wing back Smile

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:44pm

https://punditarena.com/football/james-fenton/ireland-squad-qatar-world-cup/" rel="nofollow - Picking a hypothetical 26-man Ireland squad for the Qatar World Cup - Pundit Arena

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probably take a 5th wing back Smile

How did that article get published

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

It’s Pundit Arena, journalistic standards don’t get much lower in the sports world

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

It’s Pundit Arena, journalistic standards don’t get much lower in the sports world

Surprised they haven't created a quiz yet to see which Irish player would you be.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:59pm

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probab

ly take a 5th wing back Smile

Surprised they haven't created a quiz yet to see which Irish player would you be.
Jeez lads, it's just a bit of craic, a hypothetical. Sure aren't we discussing Collins as a Central Midfielder on here! Smile

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: GaretFarellysNutSack
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 12:21am
I was thinking about that match where Georgia played like Pep's Barcelona against us in Tbilisi. Now they have that Kvartshalwhatever guy playing for Napoli who's supposed to be the next Maradona. 
Are we gonna get another world class player any time soon? I mean we haven't had one since Roy. 

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:28am
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I was thinking about that match where Georgia played like Pep's Barcelona against us in Tbilisi. Now they have that Kvartshalwhatever guy playing for Napoli who's supposed to be the next Maradona. 
Are we gonna get another world class player any time soon? I mean we haven't had one since Roy. 

In fairness to Georgia they are an up and coming team who have taken scalps off better teams than us. I don’t think the result was the reason for the backlash O’Neill got but it was more the performance against them. Like Denmark were miles better than us but the media coverage was farcical in the build up to that game. It was made out that eriksen was the only difference between the teams. Obviously losing 5-1 was not acceptable but look at ours and Denmark’s trajectory since that game.  Denmark went out on penalties to World Cup finalists and got to Euro semifinal.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:48am

Tbf we have a few okay talents one who many outlets have already dubbed the best U21 goalkeeping prospect on the planet for a start. Youngest goalkeeper ever to play the first 8 games with a PL side astonishing considering the era of money and big spending in the English game at the moment. 
The fact he's only playing for Southampton might temper your enthusiasm a bit on him.

That young lad at Georgia is flying but is more so a breakout prospect than a world class talent at this stage. Give that Georgian kid a chance too. 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Tbf we have a few okay talents one who many outlets have already dubbed the best U21 goalkeeping prospect on the planet for a start. Youngest goalkeeper ever to play the first 8 games with a PL side astonishing considering the era of money and big spending in the English game at the moment. 
The fact he's only playing for Southampton might temper your enthusiasm a bit on him.

That young lad at Georgia is flying but is more so a breakout prospect than a world class talent at this stage. Give that Georgian kid a chance too. 

He most definitely is a world class talent! 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:57am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

No sh*t!

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:41am
Our two stand out underage internationals have gone on to play for England in Rice and Grealish.

All the rest of our top guys have been mid table premier league clubs Coleman the exception.

I’m not including Duff, Robbie, O Shea etc as they were Roy’s time.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:42am

And funnily enough, one who would have been written off a couple of years ago if he were Irish.

Just the 3 goals in 18 games for Rustavi in Georgia a few years ago, followed by 1 in 7 for Lomomotiv Moscow, and then 9 in 69 for Rubin Kazan.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't thrown onto the scrapheap and he's really taken off over the last 6 months. It can take a little while to hit the heights...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:49am
Presumably he didn't look absolutely hopeless in his overall play, though.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:57am

Kvaratskheila looks the business and a young attacking player we could only dream of developing here. Could see Georgia pulling a North Macedonia if they get a handy enough draw and sneaking second.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 2:44pm

Kvaratskheila looks the business and a young attacking player we could only dream of developing here. Could see Georgia pulling a North Macedonia if they get a handy enough draw and sneaking second.

Clearly a team on the up after a good NL campaign albeit at Group C level against Nth Macedonia and Bulgaria (both in decline) and Gibralter. Last WCQ campaign, they lost at home to both Kosovo and Greece, lost 5 and drew 1 of their first 6 games before winning the last 2, away to Kosovo and home to Sweden. I wouldnt overly fear them, there are tougher fourth seeds imo (Turkey/Greece)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:27pm
The squad pretty much as it stands:

Parrott(20)                 Obafemi(22, IP)                    
                         Robinson(27)                 Ogbene(25)                         
                              Keane(29)                 Hogan(30)
                            Idah(21, IP)                 Connolly(22, IP)        

Knight(21)
                                                Browne(27)
                                              Hourihane (32)

McClean(33, IP)                                Molumby(23)         Doherty(30)
    Brady(30, IP)              Cullen(26)      Hendrick (30)         Coleman(34, IP)
    Manning(26)                 ??????                                        Christie(30)
    O'Dowda(27, IP)                               
    Stevens(32, IP)     
                                  O'Shea(23)  Egan(30)  Collins(21)                      
                                Lenihan(28)  Duffy(30)  Omobamidele(20)

Bazunu(20)
                                                  Kelleher(23)
                                                  Travers(23)

*IP = Injury Prone
**Players in yellow have issues with age and/or injury.
***Players in red are most likely done.

As everyone else has said, midfield & wingback areas are a real concern.

5 midfielders is not enough to get us through a qualification campaign. Need to add 4 or 5 names there. Replacement for Hourihane (Smallbone), backup for Cullen (Coventry), a couple of creatives (Byrne, McGrath, Ronan), and maybe have a look at Hodge or Noss (even just to train with the squad).

We have a lot of injury prone or aging wingbacks, it's entirely possible we go into a double-header missing Coleman, McClean, Brady, O'Dowda & Stevens all at the same time.
Getting a game into Manning I would say is important, and getting Ebosele capped also. Ebosele could be a real asset off the bench vs France & Netherlands (on either flank). If we're chasing a goal I rather see him coming off the bench than Coleman.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:46pm
Smallbone, McGrath, Manning, Skyes and one of Coventry/Hodge need to be called up.

We can't ignore Will Keane's form either.

Ebosele need a loan. Coventry needs to leave West Ham permanently in January. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:30am
Kenny says he will not use the November matches to experiment. 

“I’m not going to experiment greatly. There are one or two players who are close enough and so forth, from the U21s, but you need an element of continuity now. You don’t want to be just throwing out new caps unless someone has been really outstanding and are the best player for the job. We will consider November in relation to one or two but we want to have that element of continuity for sure.” 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 2:52pm

Kenny says he will not use the November matches to experiment. 

“I’m not going to experiment greatly. There are one or two players who are close enough and so forth, from the U21s, but you need an element of continuity now. You don’t want to be just throwing out new caps unless someone has been really outstanding and are the best player for the job. We will consider November in relation to one or two but we want to have that element of continuity for sure.” 

Ffs the perfect time to bring in some players but nope the same old 30+ aged players coming in for these games 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 6:33pm
I think it would be a mistake if we don't try to bed in some younger options for RWB and LWB. All our options that Kenny trusts are in their 30s. Think we need to include Sykes or McNamara for RWB. LWB best option is clearly Manning as I don't think we really have anyone else but seems Kenny doesn't trust him. No options are spectacular but I don't want to rely on Coleman/Doherty/Brady/McClean. Then we can hope Ebosele gets his chance at club level and Adaramola or Bagan break out in the next few years.

Smallbone for Hourihane should just be a given. I'm not saying Smallbone is the answer to all our problems but could play that bench role that Hourihane fails miserably at to make any kind of difference and is detrimental when he starts.

I agree about not just throwing in u21s who have played little senior minutes but we badly need options is some positions.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I think it would be a mistake if we don't try to bed in some younger options for RWB and LWB. All our options that Kenny trusts are in their 30s. Think we need to include Sykes or McNamara for RWB. LWB best option is clearly Manning as I don't think we really have anyone else but seems Kenny doesn't trust him. No options are spectacular but I don't want to rely on Coleman/Doherty/Brady/McClean. Then we can hope Ebosele gets his chance at club level and Adaramola or Bagan break out in the next few years.

Smallbone for Hourihane should just be a given. I'm not saying Smallbone is the answer to all our problems but could play that bench role that Hourihane fails miserably at to make any kind of difference and is detrimental when he starts.

I agree about not just throwing in u21s who have played little senior minutes but we badly need options is some positions.

The qualifiers for euro 2024 will nearly be over in 12 months time. Yes the wing back options are getting on but I think they will be OK for the next campaign. Manning is one I'm surprised hasn't gotten more of a look in though. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

The qualifiers for euro 2024 will nearly be over in 12 months time. Yes the wing back options are getting on but I think they will be OK for the next campaign. Manning is one I'm surprised hasn't gotten more of a look in though. 

It's not even just age. Brady, Doherty and Coleman are usually either not playing or get their fair share of injuries. Both Sykes and Manning can play in other positions too so aren't bad options for the squad in any case.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 2:37pm
Haaland is helping the ticket sales for the game 

Norway playing Finland in there 2nd friendly and wouldn't it be some kick in the bollocks if they rested Haaland for our game so he will be super fit for the local Derby 

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Norway playing Finland in there 2nd friendly and wouldn't it be some kick in the bollocks if they rested Haaland for our game so he will be super fit for the local Derby 
I'm going to watch our lads - Don't really care who lines up against them!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I'm going to watch our lads - Don't really care who lines up against them!

Same, yes it will be good to see Haaland in person but if he doesn't play I won't lose much sleep as I'm going to support my country 

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 3:53pm
Squad should be announced in 3 weeks, not a whole lot will change between now and then in terms of players gametime/form.

With Parrott & Idah out, & possibly Ogbene & Connolly too, there's a couple of spots up for grabs there.
Keane will probably come back in as a like-for-like for Parrott.
1 or 2 of Armstrong, Odubeko, Ferguson & Kelly could be fighting it out for the last spot(s).
If I had to pick 2 of those I'd probably go with Keane & Armstrong.

Hodge, I think, is making himself hard to ignore. Get him in as Cullens understudy, it's badly needed.
Coventry should also come in there, I know he's not playing now but he will be come January. Both can play as a 6 or an 8, too. It's good depth to start developing.

Smallbone is obvious at this point, name checked by Kenny too.

I've seen shouts for Azaz, perhaps. No harm in getting him and having a look in training.

I'd like to see McGrath & Manning back in. McGrath is playing regularly again, & Manning is having an excellent season so far.

If I see Hourihane called up again I might actually scream.

EDIT:
Somehow forgot Festy!
Trying not to name loads of players as Kenny said he won't experiment "greatly", but there's giant holes in the squad.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Squad should be announced in 3 weeks, not a whole lot will change between now and then in terms of players gametime/form.

With Parrott & Idah out, & possibly Ogbene & Connolly too, there's a couple of spots up for grabs there.
1 or 2 of Armstrong, Odubeko, Ferguson & Kelly could be fighting it out for the last spot(s).

Hodge, I think, is making himself hard to ignore. Get him in as Cullens understudy, it's badly needed.
Coventry should also come in there, I know he's not playing now but he will be come January. Both can play as a 6 or an 8, too. It's good depth to start developing.

I've seen shouts for Azaz, perhaps. No harm in getting him and having a look in training.

I'd like to see McGrath & Manning back in. McGrath is playing regularly again, & Manning is having an excellent season so far.

EDIT:
Somehow forgot Festy!
Trying not to name loads of players as Kenny said he won't experiment "greatly", but there's giant holes in the squad.

Doubt he'll bring any new strikers in, maybe Kelly but he'll probably make do with Obafemi, Robinson, Hogan and Keane. Armstrong, Odubeko and Ferguson aren't worth mentioning, they wont be anywhere near the squad.

Going by his comments on Hodge I dont think he will be either.

I'd expect Smallbone and Coventry will be the only 2 u21s we see promoted and as you said we'll probably see Manning and McGrath back and maybe Sykes.

No real radical changes.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

EDIT:
Somehow forgot Festy!

I think it's probably too late in the process for that many changes tbh - these are the last two games in advance of the Qualifiers and Kenny has already indicated that changes will be minor. I can't see how he could name eight or nine newcomers without naming a 30plus man squad and one would assume he wants to go with close to his likely starting XI for France against the Norwegians, so I don't see how he would give enough of them game time.

As you say, Smallbone, namechecked by Kenny and on the scoresheet since will almost certainly be one. I think Manning assuming he is fit will get another chance as the 5th wingback in the squad. I'd agree re Keane also, he's producing now in the Championship and there's a spot there with Parrott and others out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the extent of it, bar Hodge and/or Connolly actually getting starts between now and then or one of the Championship strikers e.g., Kelly banging in a heap of goals. It's likely too soon for the likes of Ferguson, Armstrong, Odubeko who all remain U21 eligible and Ebosele and Coventry just dont look like getting enough, if any, game time before then. Azaz is a dark horse but is certainly making a case for himself. Mc Grath hasn't done enough to force his way back in imo.

Agreed Hourihane should be gone!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 4:49pm
It's good that there are new names being mentioned - Hodge, Armstrong and Azaz - even if most or maybe all of them won't make the cut in the end. Absolutely nobody would have been talking about any of those three in terms of the senior squad six months ago, but that's what we need, groups of new players constantly coming through and knocking on the door.

For what it's worth I'd absolutely bring Hodge in, I was suggesting him even before Wolves started playing him because it's a position we desperately need depth in and he has long looked a talent coming through the age groups. Azaz should be close too, he looks too good for League 1 and I'd say we'll see him in the Championship next season. 

The problem they have is that Coventry and Smallbone are probably ahead of them in the queue so will likely be preferred for call ups. Whatever about Azaz v Smallbone though I think Hodge's ceiling will end up being higher than Coventry's, so I'd be looking to get him in now and getting him used to the setup. 

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's good that there are new names being mentioned - Hodge, Armstrong and Azaz - even if most or maybe all of them won't make the cut in the end. Absolutely nobody would have been talking about any of those three in terms of the senior squad six months ago, but that's what we need, groups of new players constantly coming through and knocking on the door.

For what it's worth I'd absolutely bring Hodge in, I was suggesting him even before Wolves started playing him because it's a position we desperately need depth in and he has long looked a talent coming through the age groups. Azaz should be close too, he looks too good for League 1 and I'd say we'll see him in the Championship next season. 

The problem they have is that Coventry and Smallbone are probably ahead of them in the queue so will likely be preferred for call ups. Whatever about Azaz v Smallbone though I think Hodge's ceiling will end up being higher than Coventry's, so I'd be looking to get him in now and getting him used to the setup. 

Smallbone is ahead of Azaz on merit, both are the same age, Smallbone has played multiple times for the U21s, Azaz has played 40 minutes, Smallbone has played PL football and is a regular starter in the Championship now, a level above Azaz. I like the look of Azaz btw, but this is a case of the brand-new shiny thing!

As for Hodge vs Coventry- Hodge definitely looks like a lad with a higher ceiling than Coventry. Fwiw I dont think either of the two will be called up unless Hodge actually establishes himself in the first team squad under the new manager whomever that might be, and the timeframe looks too tight. If he is good enough to merit consideration for a senior spot vs France should Cullen be injured, he should have been absolutely standing out vs Israel in the two U21 games, he didnt - yes he was neat, tidy and combative but no more than that. IMO people are getting overly carried away with a few sub apps under an interim manager.

Coventry is a possible only on account of his long-standing captaincy of the U21s imo, rather than on any merit-based assessment.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 5:57pm

As for Hodge vs Coventry- Hodge definitely looks like a lad with a higher ceiling than Coventry. Fwiw I dont think either of the two will be called up unless Hodge actually establishes himself in the first team squad under the new manager whomever that might be, and the timeframe looks too tight. If he is good enough to merit consideration for a senior spot vs France should Cullen be injured, he should have been absolutely standing out vs Israel in the two U21 games, he didnt - yes he was neat, tidy and combative but no more than that. IMO people are getting overly carried away with a few sub apps under an interim manager.

Good thing for Hodge is the UK will probably have a new PM before Wolves find a manager that wants the job. Wouldn't be surprised if the interim managers remain until the league breaks which will hopefully see him get more minutes.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:53pm
With no U-21s game, id love to see 2 or 3 high potential players called up in addition to the usual, core 24/25 man squad. The likes of Ferguson, Hodge, Ebosele maybe. 

Doesn't mean anyone else has to miss out, the Irish rugby squad do similar regularly, I see no downside for doing it for the upcoming international window

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 7:10pm
Wouldn't be upset to see Kenny do an O'Neill and bring a 35 man squad to this training camp. Bring some new faces introduce them to the set up. 

We are woeful light in CM/ and in attacking areas while you have Sinclair Armstrong, Ferguson,Odubeko,Finn Azaz,Smallbone,Hodge etc all making strides at club level. The first mentioned it's not a million to one he will be on the pitch regularly for a Championship team chasing promotion as it stands. Look how light we are up top now with the 3 lads out injured.  would be practical to bring a young lad like that along. 

Smallbone would be playing for Southampton only for injuries I think and will on merit be selected before Azaz. Azaz has that bit of magic about him the few times I have seen him. Could be our most significant declaree in a long time. Looks way above League 1 level already considering Knight played in that position the last twice just shows he should be considered.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 5:39pm
Looking at the Championship table only Watford of the 7/8 teams I see in contention to go up don't have Irish representation currently! 

QPR/Blackburn/Burnley/Norwich/Sheffield Utd all represented. Even Millwall Swansea other teams there or there abouts have Irish players.

Could see Burnley ending up with Obafemi in January too.  Think Burnley are strong contenders to go up. Will only get better as the season goes.

Would expect more Irish players to be in the PL next year at least. Even if Bazunu and Collins both go down (very unlikely) every chance they get transfers back up again anyways!!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 7:17pm

Looking at the Championship table only Watford of the 7/8 teams I see in contention to go up don't have Irish representation currently! 

QPR/Blackburn/Burnley/Norwich/Sheffield Utd all represented. Even Millwall Swansea other teams there or there abouts have Irish players.

Could see Burnley ending up 
with Obafemi in January too.  Think Burnley are strong contenders to go up. Will only get better as the season goes.
Would expect more Irish players to be in the PL next year at least. Even if Bazunu and Collins both go down (very unlikely) every chance they get transfers back up again anyways!!

I think Kompany thinks the same as they club see him as the missing link . 
I think he will be a Burnley player in January . 
Put my head on the block when i say sign him ans they will go up . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Could see Burnley ending up 
with Obafemi in January too.  Think Burnley are strong contenders to go up. Will only get better as the season goes.

I think Kompany thinks the same as they club see him as the missing link . 
I think he will be a Burnley player in January . 
Put my head on the block when i say sign him ans they will go up . 

Swansea really should have just let him go in the summer with the money they threw at them! Obafemi has had a stop start time of it since,Swansea will likely lose him for a fraction of that in Jan/nothing next summer.

No benefitted from it bar maybe Burnleys owners pocket. 

I did find it funny plenty lads were saying "Obafemis attitude again" when he treid to push for the move. nothing wrong with players wanting to kick on when they get momentum to a higher standard of club. Same guys would be tearing their hair out at Jason Knight for not kicking on and showing ambition!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 12:02pm
Jack Taylor is one who is going under the radar for another call up - playing consistently well again for a Peterboro side at the top end of League One, 2 goals and an assist and a WhoScored rating of 7.02 putting him ahead of the likes of Knight and Hourihane in the same league.

Interestingly Cashin is top rated CB in L1 on WhoScored with a rating of 7.36 and is the 6th top rated player overall in L1. Probably suffers from our depth at CB, but this lad is making serious strides, still just 20.

Also a left field one from League One, Corey O'Keefe RWB at Forest Green, joint 3rd in assists in L1 this season with 5 thus far. Had 2 goals and 10 assists last year in League 2 for Rochdale. Not suggesting he should be called up or anything, but one to keep an eye on if he continues to progress, still only 24.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 3:09pm
Haaland injured 

Expect to see lots of tickets floating around now, might as well make the trip up 

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 3:21pm

Haaland injured 

Expect to see lots of tickets floating around now, might as well make the trip up 

Small knock, only question mark is over this weekend, not expected to be out long.

Either way I'm going to see ireland not haaland

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 3:28pm

Haaland injured 

Is this a thing? I’ve never gone to a match because a specific player would be playing.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 3:56pm
Surprised nobody has mentioned J*** B**** yet!  

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned J*** B**** yet!  

Ah Jaysus, dont start Smile

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned J**** B***** yet!  
Jamie Bryson for the ÉIRE Clap

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Haaland injured 

Is this a thing? I’ve never gone to a match because a specific player would be playing.

You're nieve if you don't think that happens esp in Ireland

Do you really think people were flocking to see James McClean last November when the  Aviva was sold out for the Portugal game

A lot of tickets for this Norway game is because of Haaland 

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 5:13pm

Haaland injured 

Definitely a thing with kids these days. More interested in following players than teams. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Haaland injured 

Definitely a thing with kids these days. More interested in following players than teams. 

Was it not always a thing?

I remember people going to see Messi here in 2010 and Ronaldo/Ronaldinho in 2003.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Haaland injured 

Especially when nothing else exists outside the EPL to some (leaving the irony of my own username to one side) Wink

Wouldn't go too hard on kids themselves but you will probably have a contingent in the Irish support hoping Haaland puts on a show and scores a goal or two. Any benefit to for the national team will be very much secondary in terms of priorities.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:30pm
As many kids supporting Barca/Real/PSG as premier league teams these days

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 10:37pm
Anyway looking forward to the Norway game, Haven't been to a game since Portugal last Nov due to financial factors 

Hoping to be in Dublin for about 4.30pm. Loved O' Donoghues' pre match, Hoping to see 'Doheny & Nesbit' and 'Searsons' this time. Whenever I'm in Dublin for concerts I'm always northside

Posted By: tmorules
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 5:24pm
Szmodics has to be close, starting as attacking mid every week for the team in second place in the championship

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:52pm
When's the squad announced

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 5:53pm

SertOne // Father Yöd on Twitter: "@LDKRZ @ohmadaeze  https://t.co/6lzXX3Pm5Z" / Twitter

The FAI would like to announce our complete cessation of international football starting midnight 1 November 2022

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

SertOne // Father Yöd on Twitter: "@LDKRZ @ohmadaeze  https://t.co/6lzXX3Pm5Z" / Twitter

The FAI would like to announce our complete cessation of international football starting midnight 1 November 2022

Nothing showing up

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:03pm
Probably Thursday week when there's only one round of games left before the break. There's championship and league cup games on the 8th and 9th next week.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:35pm

Probably Thursday week when there's only one round of games left before the break. There's championship and league cup games on the 8th and 9th next week.

Don't forget Rovers are finished the weekend and a certain JB will be free

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 2:28pm

Jack Taylor is one who is going under the radar for another call up - playing consistently well again for a Peterboro side at the top end of League One, 2 goals and an assist and a WhoScored rating of 7.02 putting him ahead of the likes of Knight and Hourihane in the same league.

Interestingly Cashin is top rated CB in L1 on WhoScored with a rating of 7.36 and is the 6th top rated player overall in L1. Probably suffers from our depth at CB, but this lad is making serious strides, still just 20.

Also a left field one from League One, Corey O'Keefe RWB at Forest Green, joint 3rd in assists in L1 this season with 5 thus far. Had 2 goals and 10 assists last year in League 2 for Rochdale. Not suggesting he should be called up or anything, but one to keep an eye on if he continues to progress, still only 24.
Yet another assist for O'Keefe today!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 8:50am
Assuming we name five forwards, it'll be Obafemi, Hogan, Ogbene, Keane and Robinson, yeah?
No surprises as sure, who else is there! 

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 9:35am

Assuming we name five forwards, it'll be Obafemi, Hogan, Ogbene, Keane and Robinson, yeah?

Yeah, cant see any other forward players being named with Idah, Connolly, Parrott and Kelly, who only had an outside chance in any case, all out. Next in line would be the likes of James Collins, Shane Long, Maguire based on minutes played. Of the youngsters probably Sinclair Armstrong and Odubeko, but both are still U21 eligible and neither have done enough for a senior call up imo.

If any of the 5 you mention pick up an injury then I guess there is an outside chance that he calls up Ferguson just to have a look and give him a boost, but it's a long shot imo. He looked a long way off senior level in his U21 performances. Szmodics (not strictly a forward but has been getting minutes there) is the more likely call up in the event of further injuries.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:44am

That's a pretty depressing list of options apart from Ogbene and Obafemi. Let's hope neither get setbacks. Hogan and/or Keane should open their accounts against Malta at least.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

That's a pretty depressing list of options apart from Ogbene and Obafemi. Let's hope neither get setbacks. Hogan and/or Keane should open their accounts against Malta at least.

Tbf, it's a lot better than this time last year when Oba was injured, Ogbene was a rwb in L1, Robinson was out of favour, Hogan was bang out of form and Keane and Parrott were also in L1. Idah was probably injured and Connolly was on the lash Smile

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:30pm
So who is definitely out - Idah, Parrott, Azaz, Kelly, Mandroiu, Omabamidele? Connolly? Knight?

Kilkenny back in training I believe, but surely too late for him.

Really only Troy, Oma, Idah and potentially Knight from our first choice squad.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:47pm

So who is definitely out - Idah, Parrott, Azaz, Kelly, Mandroiu, Omabamidele? Connolly? Knight?

Kilkenny back in training I believe, but surely too late for him.

Really only Troy, Oma, Idah and potentially Knight from our first choice squad.

Knights might make Liverpool mid week according to Derby. So I'd say if he plays a few minutes there and is involved in league action at the weekend he'll probably be in our squad 

Posted By: DubLife
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 1:29pm
I wonder what Haaland's current status is for next week?

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

I wonder what Haaland's current status is for next week?

Probably sat somewhere in Manchester with the feet up relaxing, or back home in Norway. Can see Pep having a word with Norway about not selecting Haaland or only using him in one of the games.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net