Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58553
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 8:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September
Posted By: You Tell Me
Subject: Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:32am
Scotland have named their squad this morning. Usual story with them, very strong in central midfield and at left wing back, even without the injured Robertson. But weak looking in goal and at centre back, and Che Adams has yet to impress for them up front, though he's clearly a capable player.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin

Defenders: Grant Hanley, Jack Hendry, Aaron Hickey, Scott McKenna, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Kieran Tierney, Greg Taylor

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, David Turnbull

Forwards: Che Adams, Jacob Brown, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser

Replies:
Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:51am
Our squad to be announced on Thursday and can't see many changes from June bar the obvious:

Brady and O'Dowda in, and leave out Hamilton, Ebosele, Christie and maybe Stevens if not fit (last squad was 27, expect this to be smaller).  Lenihan could see himself left out too if Omobamidele is recalled, which seems likely.
Hourihane to retain his place due to lack of alternatives (just struck me - Sykes maybe?), but stuck in L1, his days should be numbered.
Nobody called up from the 21's.

Anyone else?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:03am
Sykes is playing in the Championships now.

He might be an outside bet.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Our squad to be announced on Thursday and can't see many changes from June bar the obvious:

Brady and O'Dowda in, and leave out Hamilton, Ebosele, Christie and maybe Stevens if not fit (last squad was 27, expect this to be smaller).  Lenihan could see himself left out too if Omobamidele is recalled, which seems likely.
Hourihane to retain his place due to lack of alternatives (just struck me - Sykes maybe?), but stuck in L1, his days should be numbered.

Anyone else?

Lenihan is injured anyway so won't be in contention, likewise with Stevens I think.

O'Dowda is a major doubt trough injury also.

Brady should be back in, wouldn't be surprised to see him get game time over the 2 games, deserves it on form

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
Maybe something like:

Bazunu Travers O'Leary
Egan Duffy Collins Omobamidele O'Shea
Doherty Coleman McClean Brady Manning
Cullen Molumby Hendrick Browne Hourihane Knight Sykes
Parrott Obafemi Ogbene Robinson O'Dowda Keane/Hogan

I don't see any surprise additions, I don't think anyone in the Under 21s has done enough to get a senior call up this time around.

In terms of the starting team it will be Bazunu for the injured Kelleher presumably and Doherty for Browne at right back. And then a decision to be made on the third centre back alongside Collins and Egan (one of Duffy, O'Shea or Omobamidele). 

Other than that just keep the team the same, I'd go with the same three in centre mid as the home game and try and win the physical battle again there. I'd fancy any of Parrott, Obafemi or Ogbene against their centre backs and Gordon so maybe start the same two as last time and if it's not working bring on Ogbene.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Only two games I doubt there will be 27 players called up.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Anyone else?

Lenihan is injured anyway so won't be in contention, likewise with Stevens I think.

Brady should be back in, wouldn't be surprised to see him get game time over the 2 games, deserves it on form

Starting tonight LOL

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:23pm
Given that it's O'Dowda I'd still rate him as a major doubt to make it to the Scotland game without getting injured again.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Anyone else?

Starting tonight LOL
Surprising because Cardiff themselves said he was a major doubt for tonight & the weekend.

Scores early on too

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
If him and Brady are both fit I only see one of them getting called up and that would be Brady.

Forget that as he scores tonight after four minutes with the assist from Callum Robinson. Not sure if Robinson is playing LW or CF.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:59pm
Under 21 management will get first preference regarding the eligible players

Outside of that group any new caps for the seniors? Anyone we need 'capped ASAP ? 

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:14pm
Mark Sykes could get a call up but not sure if he'd see any minutes though CJ Hamilton was capped in June so never know.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If him and Brady are both fit I only see one of them getting called up and that would be Brady.

Forget that as he scores tonight after four minutes with the assist from Callum Robinson. Not sure if Robinson is playing LW or CF.

Kenny loves the pair of them, was only name checking them last week. Can see both being called up if fit and available. I know they currently play the same position at their clubs but early on when we played 4-3-3 he had them both playing the left and right of the front 3.

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:47pm
Can't say many of our players are going into these games with any sort of form..

Collins, omobamidele and oshea maybe the exceptions.

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Can't say many of our players are going into these games with any sort of form..

In all honesty, it's the same with us. Patterson, McGregor, Taylor and Hickey are our only players currently on form.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:56am

I think the goalkeeper and defence will be fine anyway. Bazunu has been mostly good and now playing at a much higher level, all the centre back options other than Duffy have been playing well, Duffy just hasn't been playing and maybe won't play for us as a result. McClean looks in good form so it's just Doherty on the right that's the concern, would be good to see him get minutes this weekend.

Cullen sitting in front of them has been good also and I wouldn't have any major concerns about Knight or Molumby.

The big issue looks to be up front, the two lads that won it for us in June just aren't playing well and the Obafemi situation in particular is a big concern. Maybe need to look at starting Ogbene now if Obafemi isn't going to play for Swansea this side of the international window. 

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:05am
While the Parrott Obafemi partnership looked good, I dont think he can leave Ogbene out given current form (and previous for Ireland). In fact if Robinson starts and plays well in the next couple of games and Parrott and Obafemi's form/situation dont improve, there's a fair argument to be made that it should be a CR7/Dozie partnership up front.

As for the rest

GK - Baz
CB - Egan, Collins plus any one from 3 (Omobamidele/O'Shea/Duffy), likely O'Shea based on form/seniority, but Duffy is always a goal threat especially against a dodgy enough Scottish defence. Big call for Kenny here - I'd personally lean towards Duffy.
WING BACKS - Has to be Doherty despite a lack of game time and McClean who is in good form - Brady is an outside bet at LWB, but dont think he'll throw him in to this one.
MIDFIELD - Likely to be Cullen. Molumby, Knight due to their previous good showing vs the Scots, although there's a fair argument that Hendrick now playing regularly should start ahead of either L1 RB Knight or Molumby.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:32am

I wouldnt be quite as concerned on that front.

Doherty's lack of minutes is a concern, but at least he's fit. Baz is doing fine after his big move. Plenty of Cbs in form - Duffy the concern there. McClean/Brady/O'Dowda all options at LWB, all playing well and in form.

Cullen doing grand - Molumby and Hendrick in much better positions than they were 12 months ago and starting regularly. Knight playing as a L1 RB is the main concern there.

Up front Obafemi's strop and Parrott's form is a concern, but on the upside Ogbene has taken to the Championship like a duck to water and CR7 is back starting and got 2 assists last night. Idah's ongoing injury issue is unfortunate as he could have offered something different.

I think that for the most part, the squad is in much better shape than it was last season. Doherty/Coleman/Duffy/Knight/Idah, the self induced Obafemi and Parrott are all concerns to varying degrees, but we are not in bad shape overall imo.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:47am
From last night's game Preston v Burnley Brady and Parrot didn't do much at all , now when Browne came on he had a little bit about him but nothing to get excited about . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
To take a stab at what the squad might be:

Bazunu, Travers, O'Leary.

Doherty, Coleman, Collins, Duffy, Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele, McClean, Brady.

Cullen, Hendrick, Molumby, Knight, Browne.

Ogbene, O'Dowda, Obafemi, Parrott, Robinson, Keane.

That's 23 I think will be called up and think 25 will be named but not sure what two extra players he'd feel would be needed as cover.

Someone like Manning or Scales to cover LWB so you can also opt to play Brady in a more attacking role.

Only five midfielders named so could be Hourihane but we named six in June for three games. Five should be enough with someone on stand by. He'd probably see Brady as someone that could fill in as the third midfielder against Armenia if needed though could see 3-4-2-1 making a return against them.

Sykes maybe for a dark horse call up to add extra cover at RWB with Doherty and Coleman not seeing minutes. Also able to fill other positions if needed.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:05pm

That's 23 I think will be called up and think 25 will be named but not sure what two extra players he'd feel would be needed as cover.

Someone like Manning or Scales to cover LWB so you can also opt to play Brady in a more attacking role.

Only five midfielders named so could be Hourihane but we named six in June for three games. Five should be enough with someone on stand by. He'd probably see Brady as someone that could fill in as the third midfielder against Armenia if needed though could see 3-4-2-1 making a return against them.

Sykes maybe for a dark horse call up to add extra cover at RWB with Doherty and Coleman not seeing minutes. Also able to fill other positions if needed.

I don't see any point in calling up O'Dowda. He isn't fully fit, just back from injury (missed 2.5 games), & has only played the full 90 twice this season.
Also missed about 4 months of last season, started only 16 games.
We have 3 others more regularly playing LWB in Brady, Manning & McClean.
O'Dowda needs to go and get a long run of starts under his belt to prove he can stay fit before getting back in.

Sykes is a good shout, but as a CM, not a RWB.
I know he's playing RWB for Bristol but we don't need him there, we need to bulk out the midfield selection ahead of the Euro Qualifiers. The main thing is he's playing regularly & proving himself at Championship level. Kenny won't care if he's playing RWB (see Ogbene) at club level.

Manning deserves to keep his spot in the squad. Scales is miles off. Ebosele & Smallbone should be in.
Could well see one of Byrne, McGrath, Ronan too.
Need backup for Cullen still, but unlikely Coventry will be called up with the U21s Play-Off.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:23pm
Andy Lyons would have been a good shout only for under 21s match. 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I don't see any point in calling up O'Dowda. He isn't fully fit,
just back from injury (missed 2.5 games), & has only played the full
90 twice this season.
Also missed about 4 months of last season, started only 16 games.
We have 3 others more regularly playing LWB in Brady, Manning & McClean.
O'Dowda needs to go and get a long run of starts under his belt to prove he can stay fit before getting back in.

Sykes is a good shout, but as a CM, not a RWB.
I know he's playing RWB for Bristol but we don't need him there, we need to bulk out the midfield selection ahead of the Euro Qualifiers. The main thing is he's playing regularly & proving himself at Championship level. Kenny won't care if he's playing RWB (see Ogbene) at club level.

Manning deserves to keep his spot in the squad. Scales is miles off. Ebosele & Smallbone should be in.
Could well see one of Byrne, McGrath, Ronan too.
Need backup for Cullen still, but unlikely Coventry will be called up with the U21s Play-Off.

O'Dowda has mostly been playing as a winger and only moved back to LB to cover injuries. Has two goals and two assists.

So O'Dowda needs to go and prove himself with consistent games but we could well see the 24 yr old Ronan whose playing U21s for Wolves, or Ebosele who can't get a game   

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:56pm

Should have waited till after tonight's games to pick this. Was humming and hawing over Keane and Hogan to be one of the 23 and Kenny prefers Keane. Make him number 24 on that list and the final spot possibly between Manning, Sykes, or Hourihane.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:11pm

O'Dowda has mostly been playing as a winger and only moved back to LB to cover injuries. Has two goals and two assists.

So O'Dowda needs to go and prove himself with consistent games but we could well see the 24 yr old Ronan whose playing U21s for Wolves, or Ebosele who can't get a game   

I clearly said O'Dowda needs to prove he can stay fit. Like Obafemi has been doing this year, like Brady & Smallbone are doing now, like Idah needs to do before getting back in the squad.

We play 352 now, O'Dowda only fits in as a LWB. Even switching to 3421 (which should only be a secondary option) there's plenty better options ahead of him for the front 3.
He's got 23 caps for us & never done much in any of them.

We're totally lacking in creative CMs, & if Smallbone is being left with the U21s this window then Byrne, McGrath & Ronan get in the conversation by default, regardless of gametime.

Ebosele is a top young prospect (with a much higher ceiling than O'Dowda). Worth a development spot for that alone (& Crawford won't play him anyway).

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:55am
O'Dowda has probably been Cardiffs best player this season. Has only missed 2 games.
Not to mention the fact he's playing LWB. A position that is certainly up for grabs for Ireland.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

O'Dowda has probably been Cardiffs best player this season. Has only missed 2 games.
Not to mention the fact he's playing LWB. A position that is certainly up for grabs for Ireland.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Brady has proved himself, if O'Dowda hasnt - O'Dowda also has the goal involvements to back it up, whereas Brady's Preston side are struggling for goals and I would assume Robbie has been taking their set pieces? 

I'm not sure I'd name O'Dowda in the squad right now, I certainly wouldnt have him starting either game as a LWB, but he's as entitled to consideration as Brady and he's a fair bit younger in terms of the next campaign. If he's naming a 28 man squad, he will likely make the cut. If he goes with 25 he may miss out this time. I do think he can play as the most advanced of the 3 midfielders in a 5-3-2 set up, probably not against stronger opposition like Scotland, but certainly against the likes of Armenia.

Smallbone should stay with the U21s, I'm a long time advocate of his and would like to have seen him included in senior squads previously, but now is not the right time.

I'm not privy to the details re Crawford's alleged spat with Festy - so I wont comment further on that other than to say it's disappointing, but Festy should 100% be with the U21s - he doesnt deserve a spot in the senior squad on merit, off the back of a few starts in the Championship for Derby last campaign. The U21 games are potentially momentous and qualification would be a great boost for all of our young players - if lads are not likely to play the senior games then they should be considered for the U21 panel in my opinion - that includes Ebosele, Connolly and perhaps even Omabamidele. Spats should be resolved.

I also saw some criticism of Scales a few posts up, my understanding is that he's doing very well for Aberdeen and putting in MotM performances as a left sided centre back. If that spot in the squad is to provide cover for both LWB and LCB, then I dont see why he shouldn't be in the reckoning. Previous selections would indicate that the management team arent entirely convinced by Manning.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:31am
Squad announcement presser 1pm

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:35am
If people are seriously suggesting call ups for the likes of Ronan/Byrne then the likes of Harness, Szmodics and Curtis should most certainly be in the reckoning.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Andy Lyons would have been a good shout only for under 21s match. 

Time enough for Lyons, but he is playing very well and looking a cut above LoI level. Looking forward to seeing him in the Championship post Christmas.

I'm not advocating for him here at all, but what is Christie's club situation like, has he been playing regularly? I agree with others that naming a third RWB option would be prudent given Doherty/Colemans' minutes and recent injury issues. Sykes has obviously been mentioned, but Christie is the current incumbent and nobody has mentioned him. Fwiw I have no idea of what kind of shape he is in currently and I'm not a big fan, just wondering why he hasnt been mentioned as an option?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
Seemed to me like Kenny kind of gave up on Christie half way through the last round of games. When he started picking Alan Browne out of position ahead if him it wasn't a good sign.

He's in and out of the Hull team I think. Might squeeze into the squad but I'd doubt we'll see much more of him at this point.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Seemed to me like Kenny kind of gave up on Christie half way through the last round of games. When he started picking Alan Browne out of position ahead if him it wasn't a good sign.

He's in and out of the Hull team I think. Might squeeze into the squad but I'd doubt we'll see much more of him at this point.

Aye, fair enough, his time is likely up. However with Coleman seemingly on his last legs, there's no entirely obvious candidate to back Doherty up. Sykes/Mc Namara/Christie. Browne oop isnt really a l/t solution, likewise Knight, who is at least currently playing there :), while Ogbene will surely continue to be utilised further up the pitch.

Lyons must have a good chance for the next campaign if he can hit the ground running at Blackpool. Ebosele also if he can force his way in to the Udinese team or at least get regular minutes from the bench, not convinced he is a wing back though, much like Ogbene.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Christie's issue is he's someone that wants to stick out wide and occupy those spaces whereas Doherty will come in off his wing to offer support. Feel that's why Browne was thrown in there ahead of him mid way through the last games.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:01am
Just looking at recent squad lists, who would we expect to have likely seen their last squad, barring an injury crisis?

I am thinking:
Jamie McGrath - after a bright start, has settled in to mid-table Scot Prem level.
James Collins - dropped to L1 and doing little.
Daryl Horgan - made little impression in the Champ and now a bit-part player in L1.
Cyrus Christie - Hardly getting a look-in for Hull.
Conor Hourihane - dropped to L1 where he's working away.

I see Hourihane in and even getting caps, but as for the rest, don't think any will even make the squad and be even further adrift as future squads get named.
Hourihane will soon then fall away also.

McGrath has a chance to come back, but little sign of that as yet.

Posted By: Stillill
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:15pm
Lads anyone been to Hampden before? I know you can get a train out from Glasgow but a Scottish mate has just told me they close the station after the match as it's too small to accommodate the crowds. That can't be right, can it? I'm in the Scottish end with the young lad, I'd rather not be stuck without an exit plan.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:45pm
Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Max O'Leary (Bristol City)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Shane Duffy (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Nathan Collins (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Robbie Brady (Preston North End). 

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jeff Hendrick (Reading), Jason Knight (Derby County), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Conor Hourihane (Derby County), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City).

Forwards: Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Michael Obafemi (Swansea City), Troy Parrott (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Cardiff City), Scott Hogan (Birmingham City).

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:47pm
About what you'd expect. Deadwood drifting away. Can't have too many complaints.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
Stevens, Hamilton, Festy, Will Keane, Manning, Dunne, Lenihan, Christie, Kelleher omitted from last squad. All fit bar Kelleher? 

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:55pm
Strong showing of our defensive options there. Dunne and Lenihan are good centre halves at Championship level. Christie, Manning and Stevens have good experience at wing back at Championship level. These lads would have made a lot of squads in recent years. 

Look like Brady is going to be McClean's competition for left wing back based on the lack of any other option and the fact that he's in the squad as a defender. That will be interesting. 

Posted By: ProudIrish
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Stillill Stillill wrote:

Lads anyone been to Hampden before? I know you can get a train out from Glasgow but a Scottish mate has just told me they close the station after the match as it's too small to accommodate the crowds. That can't be right, can it? I'm in the Scottish end with the young lad, I'd rather not be stuck without an exit plan.

It’s a good hours walk . Best to find a bar nearby and wait for the crowds to die down 😬

-------------
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Stevens, Hamilton, Festy, Will Keane, Manning, Dunne, Lenihan, Christie, Kelleher omitted from last squad. All fit bar Kelleher? 

No Stevens isn't fit either. Has been out since the opening game of the season.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:04pm
Good to see Brady back in.

Not happy to see Hourihane at all. There's just not enough in midfield.

Stevens & Lenihan both injured too.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:08pm
As expected. No real surprises. Last call up for a couple of players with Nations league nearing an end. 

Not too many form players going into this round of games unfortunately.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:14pm

All you have to do is walk down the road to Cathcart station (less than ten minutes walk) and you can get a train back to Central from there, it's what many Scotland fans do after a game. The area is also quite safe to walk about at night in.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

All you have to do is walk down the road to Cathcart station (less than ten minutes walk) and you can get a train back to Central from there, it's what many Scotland fans do after a game. The area is also quite safe to walk about at night in.

So it's not closed after the match?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm
Going into a game vs Armenia with no creative CMs...

Only 24 named, I wonder who's close to being added.

If Byrne puts in a performance this evening vs Gent he might be added.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

So it's not closed after the match?

Mount Florida (the closest station to Hampden) is sometimes closed after well attended games so I think it probably will be closed for the upcoming game. There have been some unpleasant bottlenecks in the narrow footbridge leading from the direction of Hampden into Mount Florida and the platform has also at times became dangerously overcrowded.

That's why even if Mount Florida is open many of us just walk down to Cathcart which has a big long platform more suited to accommodating crowds.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:24pm

Agreed. Far more concerned with Armenia than Scotland game. 

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm

Good to see Brady back in.

Not happy to see Hourihane at all. There's just not enough in midfield.

Stevens & Lenihan both injured too.

Lisa needs braces. DENTAL PLAN!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:16pm
So happy to see Robbie back Star

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
The work over the past 18 months is seeing the squad become more settled and to an extent predictable (an not necessarily in a bad way.) Also, even though there is only a handful of PL players, the bulk are playing regularly and in some cases very well.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The work over the past 18 months is seeing the squad become more settled and to an extent predictable (an not necessarily in a bad way.) Also, even though there is only a handful of PL players, the bulk are playing regularly and in some cases very well.

It's quite alarming to see no midfielders or attackers playing in the Premier League.

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Stillill
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:47pm
Thanks for the replies, lads. Cathcart looks like the way to go, so.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:57pm
Decent, settled squad. Can't have too many complaints really - would have been good to see another body in midfield maybe, someone like Sykes to add depth. I wonder did Hogan squeeze in there ahead of Keane after last night or was he always going to be in with Keane missing out?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:13pm

Decent, settled squad. Can't have too many complaints really - would have been good to see another body in midfield maybe, someone like Sykes to add depth. I wonder did Hogan squeeze in there ahead of Keane after last night or was he always going to be in with Keane missing out?

Aye, it's hard to point to anybody that could feel genuinely aggrieved at omission, Manning perhaps, but the management team have always seemed pretty ambivalent about him.

As for Keane/Hogan - I doubt if last night's hat trick made a difference. Hogan was preferred previously vs Scotland and did well in that game, so I'm guessing he was always ahead of Keane in the pecking order for this one.

Would agree re the midfield depth, but I think one or two of Kilkenny/Coventry and definitely Smallbone would have been called up, but for the big U21 game. I'd imagine Smallbone will take Hourihanes spot for the next campaign.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:18pm
Hard to have any major gripes with that squad. 

Only one is the lack of creative midfielder. I will make a prediction bar a spate of injuries this is the last squad Conor Hourihane will ever make. Smallbone the obvious front runner to take that place as soon as the next squad but Ronan Coventry Kilkenny even the likes of Connell Moran at Brighton is making strides so many candidates there to take his place at this stage! 

Cyrus Christie is hopefully done in an Irish shirt long term too. No disrespect to him a trier but is a liability the Ukraine game was a 2/10 performance!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm

He'd need some stellar performance to put himself even close to the frame imo. Changed the game in Djurgaarden's favour when he came on last week.

Still dont think he's up to it personally, but even if Kenny does, he'd be coming in on the back of a pretty disjointed season - I just cant see it. I'd prefer Ferrizaj tbh Smile

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:23pm

There's loads of train stations around there. If you're in the east end of the stadium head to Kings Park Station. If you're in the north stand you could go to Crosshill (though you're heading into a slightly rougher area in doing so). If you're in the south or west head to Cathcart. Mount Florida is best avoided whether it's open or not due to crowds. The area is generally very safe apart from possibly up to the north towards Crosshill, but even there it should be fine if you're only going as far as the station.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Hard to have any major gripes with that squad. 

Only one is the lack of creative midfielder. I will make a prediction bar a spate of injuries this is the last squad Conor Hourihane will ever make. Smallbone the obvious front runner to take that place as soon as the next squad but Ronan Coventry Kilkenny even the likes of Connell Moran at Brighton is making strides so many candidates there to take his place at this stage! 

Cyrus Christie is hopefully done in an Irish shirt long term too. No disrespect to him a trier but is a liability the Ukraine game was a 2/10 performance!

Bar Smallbone, there's a lot of ifs regarding the other lads you have named there - Coventry the most likely to make it imo, but he will need to at get Conference minutes at least with West Ham. Lage has had nice things to say about Ronan, but until we see him on a pitch, it looks like he is in a bit of a limbo. Kilkenny needs to get fit, not sure what the issue is there? and then get in to the Stoke first XI on a regular basis. Connell's playing League One but will hopefully continue to progress after a couple of wasted years at Celtic. Moran's still a youngster, albeit an exciting one, but I'd imagine barring a breakthrough at Brighton, he'll be with the U21s for the next campaign. Realistically I'd be happy if Smallbone and one of Coventry/Kilkenny/Ronan reached the required standard during the next campaign.

I'm no big fan of Christies, but our RB options when Coleman goes arent exactly inspiring. If he's fit and playing regularly he could earn a few more caps yet, particularly if Doherty has fitness issues. He's still young enough (3 years younger than Hourihane who I agree should be jettisoned)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He'd need some stellar performance to put himself even close to the frame imo. Changed the game in Djurgaarden's favour when he came on last week.

Still dont think he's up to it personally, but even if Kenny does, he'd be coming in on the back of a pretty disjointed season - I just cant see it. I'd prefer Ferrizaj tbh Smile

I'm sure he could handle coming on for the last 30 minutes against the might of Armenia.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:18pm

I'm sure he could handle coming on for the last 30 minutes against the might of Armenia.

Well if we need 30 minutes of Jack Byrne to overcome the might of Armenia then we really do have problems.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:22pm

Well if we need 30 minutes of Jack Byrne to overcome the might of Armenia then we really do have problems.

I see you've successfully blocked out the memory of the game in June. I tried to too, but so far haven't been able.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:24pm
                       Bazunu
          Omobamidele Collins Egan
Doherty                                   McClean
                   Cullen Molomby
                        Parrott
                  Ogbene Obafemi

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:28pm
Can't see him playing three forwards away to Scotland. At home to Armenia yeah, but not away to Scotland.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:42pm

Can't see him playing three forwards away to Scotland. At home to Armenia yeah, but not away to Scotland.

Agree, dont think he will (or should) play 3 forwards away to Scotland. It hasnt really worked for us even against  lesser opposition, but I wouldnt be adverse to giving it another try vs Armenia.

It is likely to be the same 3 that did so well vs Scotland last time, although Hendrick has a chance of starting in the 3 also, now that he is back playing regularly. Cullen, Molumby, Knight looks the safe call with Hendrick pencilled to start in Molumby's place vs Armenia.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:50pm
Would have us line out the same as the home win but with Omobamidele in for Duffy and Doherty in for Browne.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:28am
Obafemi-----Ogbene

Parrott

Brady------Cullen------Molumby----Doherty

Egan-----Collins---Omobamidele

Bazunu

I assume McClean and Duffy will probably start though. Maybe Knight as well.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:41am
I don't know why so many people pick teams with only two central midfielders when we get consistently ripped to shreds in midfield whenever we go with just two central midfielders.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:47am

I don't know why so many people pick teams with only two central midfielders when we get consistently ripped to shreds in midfield whenever we go with just two central midfielders.

Cullen, Molumby and 3 CBs should be able to provide enough cover. Omobamidle adds good recovery pace.

Parrott is actually hard working for a technical player, so he can easily drop back if required. Knight can do that too.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:25pm

I agree, he'll play 3 in midfield vs the Scots likely Cullen, Molumby and Knight. Hendrick an outside bet for one of the three spots.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm
I would put Hendrick ahead of Molumby, and I think Kenny would do too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:33pm

I would also, but I think he'll stick with the 3 that did so well in the reverse fixture and it would be hard to argue with that.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:38pm

Molumby's tenacity was important vs Scotland last time. His pressing was key. It lead to the Obafemi screamer.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:42pm
Very well could seeing as back in June fresh legs were needed come the Scotland game and Hendrick looked wrecked. Everyone is coming into this game against Scotland fresh and might throw Hendrick back in alongside Cullen and Knight.

Though he could look at the performances of Cullen, Molumby, and Knight against Scotland and Ukraine as the trio and give them the chance to impress again. Hendrick like Browne could be a good sub to come on in this game if you're looking to retain possession against a tired team.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Cullen, Molumby and 3 CBs should be able to provide enough cover. Omobamidle adds good recovery pace.

Parrott is actually hard working for a technical player, so he can easily drop back if required. Knight can do that too.

It has been proven that this is not the way to go.
Any time we have played with three forwards, we have made a show of ourselves.
And a return to that, while appealing to people who have short memories and like lotsa forwards on the pitch, would be a tactical misstep for Kenny, and that's being generous.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:47pm

Very well could seeing as back in June fresh legs were needed come the Scotland game and Hendrick looked wrecked. Everyone is coming into this game against Scotland fresh and might throw Hendrick back in alongside Cullen and Knight.

Though he could look at the performances of Cullen, Molumby, and Knight against Scotland and Ukraine as the trio and give them the chance to impress again. Hendrick like Browne could be a good sub to come on in this game if you're looking to retain possession against a tired team.

I'd guess retaining the same midfield vs Scotland again is the most likely scenario and I'd fully expect Hendrick to then start vs Armenia.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Obafemi-----Ogbene

Parrott

Brady------Cullen------Molumby----Doherty

Egan-----Collins---Omobamidele

Bazunu

I assume McClean and Duffy will probably start though. Maybe Knight as well.
Parrott is not a #10, been tried there before and he looked lost. Either himself or Obafemi for Knight and I agree with your selection.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 4:26pm
Just to pick up on these points from a couple of days ago:

Yeah, I'm not sure how Brady has proved himself, if O'Dowda hasnt -

Brady has started 9 games, completed 6 full 90's, and not got injured.
O'Dowda only completed 2 full 90's and got injured on his 6th start, missing the following 2 games. That's not a good sign.

I'm not privy to the details re Crawford's alleged spat with Festy - so I wont comment further on that other than to say it's disappointing, but Festy should 100% be with the U21s - he doesnt deserve a spot in the senior squad on merit, off the back of a few starts in the Championship for Derby last campaign. The U21 games are potentially momentous and qualification would be a great boost for all of our young players - if lads are not likely to play the senior games then they should be considered for the U21 panel in my opinion - that includes Ebosele, Connolly and perhaps even Omabamidele. Spats should be resolved.

Festy played 37 games for Derby last season - 20 of them were starts. (& now 1 Serie A appearance)

For comparison:
Omobamidele got called up off the back of 8 starts in the Champ.
Idah to this day has only started 12 games for Norwich (& you were arguing he should start for Ireland).
Kelleher still only has 15 or so starts.
Parrott had barely played any senior football & was called up by both by McCarthy & Kenny (& has been a constant in Kenny's squads).
Bazunu had 28 starts for a Rochdale side that got relegated from League 1.
O'Shea had 16 Champ starts & 4 PL starts (& 26 League 2 starts) before his Ireland debut.
Knight had about 25-30 starts for Derby
Molumby had 35 starts for Millwall.

Senior injuries/Covid were a large factor in most of those lads getting called up too. Festy has done more than most of them, & about the same amount as O'Shea, Molumby & Knight. And he is considered a "High Potential Player" by the Ireland setup.
If we're talking "merit", he certainly has that (particularly considering the unknown status of Doherty & Coleman's fitness).

Posted By: SunlunBhoy
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:27pm
Come on Ireland you can beat Scotland on Saturday. Any Irish people in Sundetland come to the Railway Tavern they'll  be showing it. 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So happy to see Robbie back Star

Wing back?

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Phil Babb
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:01am
I can see this finishing 2-0 Ireland with Obafemi at the double.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:00am
Omobamidele out of both games.

Scales called up

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:05am
I'd rather Lenihan or Dunne than Scales. Better more experienced defenders.

Omobamidele is a miss I was hoping to see him in a 3 with Collins and Egan.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I'd rather Lenihan or Dunne than Scales. Better more experienced defenders.

Omobamidele is a miss I was hoping to see him in a 3 with Collins and Egan.

Lenihan is injured - Luckily it is an area of the pitch where we have reasonable options. Presumably it's Collins, Egan and either Duffy or O'Shea. Surprised it wasnt Manning called up I know he's not exactly a CB, but he can play there. He must really not have impressed in previous camps. Pleased for Sclaes though, Aberdeen fans seem impressed albeit before his red at the weekend, but he struggled a bit at Celtic, so nice for him personally to get the call.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
Scales in ahead of Lenihan is a big surprise

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Afaik Lenihan is injured

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:22am

He's injured has missed a few games now

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:33am
It's a played for Kenny in the u21s pick to me. Being rubbish at Celtic and a few good games for another Scottish team isn't an obvious call up standard for me. 

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:44am

Scales called up

NI would be foolish not to give Jimmy Dunne a call again. If Scales is getting called up ahead of him with Lenihan and Omobambidele already out it's clear he's never going to get a chance under Kenny. Questionable management decision just from that perspective alone IMO.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Scales called up

NI would be foolish not to give Jimmy Dunne a call again. If Scales is getting called up ahead of him with Lenihan and Omobambidele already out it's clear he's never going to get a chance under Kenny. Questionable management decision just from that perspective alone IMO.

Ah come in, I dont think it's that egregious a decision. It's not like Kenny hasnt had a look at Dunne (and Manning), he has been over in previous squads. Scales is having a very good season at Aberdeen by all accounts and clearly Kenny rates him. Dunne is 5 odd years younger than the likes of Duffy, Lenihan and Egan, so he just needs to keep the head down and keep improving, his chance will come yet, ditto Manning, who has a 33yo Mc Clean and an injury probe Brady ahead of him. I have no dog in this fight, maybe Scales ability to also play as a LWB also had a role to play in the decision. I'd imagine as a border county man myself that there's also a fair chance that  a young lad growing up in Dundalk like, Dunne doesnt really want to play for the North.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:46pm
Both Collins and Scales sent off the weekend, so should be rested and raring to go..

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Both Collins and Scales sent off the weekend, so should be rested and raring to go..

Extremely unlucky to concede the peno and pick up the 2nd yellow - looked to me like he was the one being fouled. Had been enjoying an excellent season up to that point with a couple of MotM performnaces in there.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 1:49pm
Doesn't really make a difference who is called up for Omobamidele, they're realistically going to be 5th or even 6th choice.

You'd image he'll go with Collins, Egan and O'Shea with Duffy next in line and Coleman after him at RCB.

Posted By: Phil Babb
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 2:53pm
I think Duffy starts both games. Steven knows that two defeats will have him right back under pressure so he'll look to the experienced heads at the back.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Phil Babb Phil Babb wrote:

I think Duffy starts both games. Steven knows that two defeats will have him right back under pressure so he'll look to the experienced heads at the back.

The experienced head of Shane Duffy (pun inteded). 

In all seriousness, Duffy's headers could be our main threat of scoring. Or maybe we won't need him at all and we'll score 3 goals from play with great shots from Parrott/Obafemi/Hourihane etc. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 8:46pm
Any word on a new assistant manager? Haven't heard anything in recent weeks.

Also, I wonder who that is leading training in the RTE report today:

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1571922074859347971" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1571922074859347971

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm

Any word on a new assistant manager? Haven't heard anything in recent weeks.

Also, I wonder who that is leading training in the RTE report today:

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1571922074859347971" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1571922074859347971

Kenny was asked in the presser the other day. They've nobody in line yet but said they're working on it.

Thats Damien Doyle the fitness coach.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 11:06am
First Scotland game since Queen's funeral and death. Will there be a minute's silence or applause? I would have thought it is unlikely given the time between the death and match but unusual decisions have been made surrounding this.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 11:06am

First Scotland game since Queen's funeral and death. Will there be a minute's silence or applause? I would have thought it is unlikely given the time between the death and match but unusual decisions have been made surrounding this.
Scotland play tomorrow night.
And the UK public period of mourning is over. 

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Scotland play tomorrow night.
And the UK public period of mourning is over. 

Thanks for this - hadn't realised there were games tomorrow. That is a relief! 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net