Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58542
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Andy Lyons
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: Andy Lyons
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:30pm
Surprised he hasn't already got a thread here given his potential, but confirmed he's off to Blackpool. Rovers will keep him until the end of the season which is a massive plus. Hope they got €500k plus for him 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 5:01pm
Hopefully it works out for the lad. Rovers turned down a bid earlier in the summer from them too. Having a great season playing WB for Rovers and scored again at the weekend with Ferizaj getting a lovely assist for the goal. Has eight goals and six assists this season for Rovers.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hopefully it works out for the lad. Rovers turned down a bid earlier in the summer from them too. Having a great season playing WB for Rovers and scored again at the weekend with Ferizaj getting a lovely assist for the goal. Has eight goals and six assists this season for Rovers.

Aye he's been class. According to Dan McDonell on twitter, it seems like Rovers have gotten about £300k plus add ons

-------------

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 7:34pm
€300k/£250k. No bad considering he hasn't been with them for that long. But maybe a bit ambitious going straight to the Championship, I'd have probably preferred to see him go to League 1 and build from there. Could turn into another Danny Grant situation for him in the Championship. That said, Blackpool don't seem to be up to much this season, but then neither do Huddersfield and it doesn't seem to be helping Grant.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 8:28pm
It's a shocking low figure if you ask me.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 
It won't change till most LOI player moves to that level stop failing like 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

All have failed to impact in that division 

O'Connor from Cork was similar profile, similar achievements & sank without trace 

So what's shocking   ?  Exactly  ? 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

O'Connor from Cork was similar profile, similar achievements & sank without trace 

Maguire has played Championship football for 5 years.

Towell did grand for Rotherham before taking the money to drop to League 2.

Horgan has played a couple of seasons at the level and did grand.

Cotter went as a 19 year old into academy football having played about 10 games for Limerick, his situation is no different to any other academy player who doesn't make the breakthrough.

Ogbene has been excellent, trying to paint him as a failure is simply laughable.

Grant has barely got started at Huddersfield, he's been injured/ill for most of his time there. There's jumping the gun and then there's what you're trying to do.

Browne? Alan Browne? You're trying to claim Alan Browne hasn't proved a Championship level player?? LOL

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:36pm
I think he means John Brown of Blackburn, on loan to Stockport ?

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:54pm
That fu ck in g muppet doesn't even know who's who of his reply 

Yes, the one drummed straight out of Blackburn 

O'Shea, which of all those players would those clubs buy again  ?
None, not one. Simply put.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:56pm
O'Shea 

Did Ogbene impact at Brentford on arrival there or has he got a couple of goals half a decade later at a different club  ?   Would Brentford buy him again  ?  No

You dumb fu ck.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 10:13pm

You can't even spell the name of a player you are claiming has been a failure. Clown is literally the only word that can be used.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:41am
Going from full back to wing has been the making of him. No English club would go near him 7 months ago and now he’s earned this. Great turnaround for him. 

Posted By: ProudIrish
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:55am

O'Shea 

Did Ogbene impact at Brentford on arrival there or has he got a couple of goals half a decade later at a different club  ?   Would Brentford buy him again  ?  No

You dumb fu ck.

easy tiger

-------------
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:53am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You can't even spell the name of a player you are claiming has been a failure. Clown is literally the only word that can be used.

Is that all you have you little girl  ? 

Any chance you'd address the overall point that all the players I listed failed / are currently failing at the level & none of those clubs would buy them again ?  Not a hope you could but I'll give you a chance to end this turkey shoot of an exchange.  

You wouldn't even have been able to provide the list of them I'd say to be honest. 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 5:54am

Yet you didn't cop that it's James Brown and not John Brown?

Good move for Lyons, his attacking game has come on a lot within the last year and he's added consistency to his game which wasn't there before, probably own to being in an inconsistent Bohs side.

It''ll be interesting to see how he progresses at a higher standard.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 6:32am

Is that all you have you little girl  ? 

Any chance you'd address the overall point that all the players I listed failed / are currently failing at the level & none of those clubs would buy them again ?  Not a hope you could but I'll give you a chance to end this turkey shoot of an exchange.  

You wouldn't even have been able to provide the list of them I'd say to be honest. 

O'Shea 

You dumb fu ck.
A fine little collection of cutting personal abuse here and simply no need for it. Its telling that it was reported by other posters and not the lad you actually abused who refused to stoop or be drawnClap

Have a rest for a few days Thumbs Up

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 10:15am
does taking the magic airplane to england now put him in contention to make the squad for the national team?

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 10:30am
Seems a fair enough price to me tbh (I would assume there's add ons/sell on clause). There are a few LOI lads who have moved over recently and arent exactly pulling up trees YET e.g. Tierney at Motherwell. Tbf it can take time to adapt to an entirely new environment, so lads would be better judged after 18 months e.g. Scales seems to be flying it now at Aberdeen. Grant has just been unlucky at Huddersfield, but his chance may come soon.

There's a few gone over this summer, some of the best youngsters in the League - if they do well, that will most likely have a knock on effect on prices LOI clubs can look for e.g. Mandroiu, Devoy, Burns and now Lyons. Hopefully they can establish themselves quickly.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

does taking the magic airplane to england now put him in contention to make the squad for the national team?

Can't get a start for the 21s so highly doubtful. Blackpool also play four at the back so will be interesting to see how he does at a much higher level playing in a role where he won't have as much attacking freedom to get forward like at Rovers.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 12:06pm

He's behind Doherty, Coleman, Christie, McNamara and probably an out of position Alan Browne at a minimum for the RWB position as things stand and unless he does exceptionally well at Blackpool he's unlikely to overtake enough of them that he'd get into a senior squad any time soon. Would think he'll just be focusing on trying to get game time at Blackpool when he joins after Christmas - he's miles off our senior squad.

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:15pm

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

Who is the other O'Connor.
Funnily I watched Kevin live on TV the other night in the cup LOL

-------------
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

Paudie O'Connor, joined Leeds from Limerick FC.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:41pm

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

I was thinking Darragh O'Connor. Tbh though calling either of them a failure would be idiotic as well anyway (considering Paudie is doing well in L1, and Darragh only went over as an academy player to Leicester).

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:50pm
Anyone who's watched Rovers even semi regularly will know how good Lyons is. He's gonna have played (baring injury/suspension) 14 odd European games before the winter break. That'll set him up nicely to challenge for a first team place with Blackpool

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He's behind Doherty, Coleman, Christie, McNamara and probably an out of position Alan Browne at a minimum for the RWB position as things stand and unless he does exceptionally well at Blackpool he's unlikely to overtake enough of them that he'd get into a senior squad any time soon. Would think he'll just be focusing on trying to get game time at Blackpool when he joins after Christmas - he's miles off our senior squad.

To be fair if he hits the ground running and starts regularly for Blackpool in the Championship post Christmas, then he shouldnt be miles off making a squad come next summer, that's obviously a big if though - Coleman probably only has a season left in him and I cant see him lasting the Euro campaign and neither Christie who has got plenty of caps (30) without ever convincing or McNamara are world beaters. Tbh he probably has as much competition coming from behind in the shape of Ebosele, Abankwah, Adaramola.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 4:41pm

Yeah yeah yeah 

Maguire 
Towel
Horgan 
Boyle
Clarke
Burke
O'Connor 
O'Connor 
Cotter
Ogbene  ( first time )
Grant 
Browne 

I was thinking Darragh O'Connor. Tbh though calling either of them a failure would be idiotic as well anyway (considering Paudie is doing well in L1, and Darragh only went over as an academy player to Leicester).
Am I right and saying four off that list were capped when they moved over? Not a bad return.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:14pm

Can't get a start for the 21s so highly doubtful. Blackpool also play four at the back so will be interesting to see how he does at a much higher level playing in a role where he won't have as much attacking freedom to get forward like at Rovers.

Yeah I noticed that. He's doing business as an attacking wing-back, and getting the move based on those performances. On the face of it it doesn't look like a good footballing move, unless Blackpool are switching to 3 at the back, but surely they would have done that already.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Yeah I noticed that. He's doing business as an attacking wing-back, and getting the move based on those performances. On the face of it it doesn't look like a good footballing move, unless Blackpool are switching to 3 at the back, but surely they would have done that already.

I'm sure they have done their due diligence. Don't think moving back to fullback will be an issue as think think he is capable of playing in the Championship although may take him sometime to settle.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

I'm sure they have done their due diligence. Don't think moving back to fullback will be an issue as think think he is capable of playing in the Championship although may take him sometime to settle.

You would certainly hope a Championship club would do their homework, but then you remember Spurs bought Doherty based on his form as an attacking wingback and tried shoehorning him into RB in a 4.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
£275k plus lowish wages is punt territory for a Championship club. If it works out it's a bargain, if not then no harm done (except possibly to the player, but he'll have made a few quid). I'm not sure how much thought the club will have put into something like whether he's a better wing back or a full back, he'll have been scouted, looked good based on recent form and signed on that basis.

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm

£275k plus lowish wages is punt territory for a Championship club. If it works out it's a bargain, if not then no harm done (except possibly to the player, but he'll have made a few quid). I'm not sure how much thought the club will have put into something like whether he's a better wing back or a full back, he'll have been scouted, looked good based on recent form and signed on that basis.

They're looking for a Seamus Coleman effectively.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm

Blackpool are just back in the championship & aren't the biggest club so I doubt they would be paying the guts of 300k on a punt. I'm sure they have been aware of him before this season & I'm sure they have a plan for him for when he joins up in Jan.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm

Blackpool are just back in the championship & aren't the biggest club so I doubt they would be paying the guts of 300k on a punt. I'm sure they have been aware of him before this season & I'm sure they have a plan for him for when he joins up in Jan.
Im pretty sure he had a trial with them previously and they didn’t sign him. 

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:54pm
Moving to WB has been the making of him, 8 goals & 6 assists I think this season, brilliant return for a wing back. 

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:59pm
Yep, doing really well. Should probably be starting for the U21s ahead of LOC who plays his football as a no6 now. And the U21s should be playing a wingback system, suits the squad better.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Moving to WB has been the making of him, 8 goals & 6 assists I think this season, brilliant return for a wing back. 

Yeah having a great season alright but hard to believe they spent that money to bring a LWB to the club when they don't play wing-backs. His ability to play FB/WB on both sides main reason they bought him IMO.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 3:53pm

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Yeah having a great season alright but hard to believe they spent that money to bring a LWB to the club when they don't play wing-backs. His ability to play FB/WB on both sides main reason they bought him IMO.

I'm not sure he's really a LWB just because that is where he has been playing this season. He started off as a Right Full Back and is right footed, no?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm
Yup he's primarily a RB and played there for the U19s when O'Connor was playing in midfield.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 4:41pm
Will be available to Blackpool for the Cup game vs Forest at the weekend.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 2:47pm

Will be available to Blackpool for the Cup game vs Forest at the weekend.

Starts his first available game today.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 5:27pm
Blackpool beat Nottingham Forest 4-1. Good start to life at Blackpool for Andy Lyons. Didn't see the game but hopefully means he will keep his place in the team. 

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 5:45pm
Cracking goal by CJ Hamilton as well. Good hiding for the PL team and perfect start for Lyons.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Blackpool beat Nottingham Forest 4-1. Good start to life at Blackpool for Andy Lyons. Didn't see the game but hopefully means he will keep his place in the team. 

He's impressed the fans today and should get the next league game as their current RB, midfielder that can play RB was sent off in the last game and the only other RB has been injured for a few months.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:33pm
Scores tonight and has done quiet well sense his move.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:36pm
I hear he's only good in the cup

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Looking through their forum. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Looking through their forum. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Fook sake like dont give up the day job

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 11:32pm
Aye, leaf it alone.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:03am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Scores tonight and has done quiet well sense his move.
ssshhh

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:28am
Having watched a lot of him last season with Rovers, not surprised at all to see he's hit the ground running. Hopefully he keeps it up. Has the potential to be an Irish international in 18 months 

-------------

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 11:02am
him and Devoy seem to be getting regular game time, farrago burns isint though which I find strange.

-------------
No Pasaran!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Having watched a lot of him last season with Rovers, not surprised at all to see he's hit the ground running. Hopefully he keeps it up. Has the potential to be an Irish international in 18 months 

Might even be sooner than that, given the start he's made and the fact Mick is likely to continue playing him. Seamus isnt getting any younger and we dont have a huge raft of options coming through at RB/RWB or on the LHS either for that matter. Let's hope he can kick on and help keep Blackpool up.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:14pm
Scores. Blackpool 3 up already against QPR

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:18pm
Hamilton set up Lyon's goal too. The Irish lads seem to be sorting each other out tonight. 

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:54pm
Grabs a second Clap

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:00pm
Good man Andy. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:36am
His move to Blackpool is going well.

He should be a real option for us at both LWB and RWB in the near future.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:43am
Only thing negative about the move is Blackpool unfortunately look like going down. You would hope there’s more where that performance last night came from if there is they have a chance of staying up. 

Another season in the Championship and he could instantly attract interest from a higher calibre team who play with wing backs. Very comfortable at the level and has already hit the ground running in terms of goals and assists for Blackpool. 

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:30am
If he stands out in League 1 it might actually be better for him long term than another season fighting relegation from the championship.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:46am
I would agree in most cases Cashin was a great example last year. Just think Lyon’s look really comfortable at the level he’s at already imagine with a pre season under his belt etc how good he would look. 

He would be a cheat code in League 1 I suspect.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:20pm
I dont think Blackpool will hold onto Lyons for that long if hes performing as well as he is. Blackpool fans seem taken by him. He has potential for even more progression. You could see how good a player he was in the LOI before he left. Has a knack for goals which is always good. Even if they went down i could see other Championship clubs lookingbat him. Hopefully Shams have a sell on claus.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:52pm
Definitely loves to get forward and attack anyway. Blackpool playing with a back four and he's making near post runs for the LW winger to pick him out in the box

https://twitter.com/KennysKids/status/1635979872978849792

Wouldn't be surprised to see him as the next FB that gets a call up. As well as McNamara has been playing this season for Millwall he strikes me more as a defensive type player. If we're playing with WBs then Lyons' attacking instincts and ability to play either side would be more suited to the senior team.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:22pm
Agree on Lyons being one I can see in the squad for the following campaign. Equally comfortable on either side which is a huge bonus and a real attacking threat too, hopefully continues to do well for Blackpool.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 7:47pm
Starts LB tonight but a pity that McNamara isn't starting. Would have been good to see both lads battling it out.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 10:04pm
Blackpool relegated tonight.

Posted By: razzmatazaz
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 8:33pm
Will be out for a long, long time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68504339.amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68504339.amp

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:40pm
That's sh*t. Real tough season he's had already.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 11:09pm
That's very unfortunate for him, he'll be back by Christmas hopefully. He's young and recovery from ACL's are good these days so hopefully it's just a bump in the road for him.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 9:06am
very disappointing news, he;s had a tough year, best wishes to him on his recovery. Always liked him as a player and rated him as a good prospect

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net