Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58495
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 6:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AIB & the ever closer cashless society
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: AIB & the ever closer cashless society
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:58pm
AIB doing away with cash by the looks of it and taking away a sh*tload of ATMs across the country.   They are a disgrace.

I dont mind having the option of card of cash but taking cash away especially for older folk who dont know how to use the likes of revolut of phones to pay etc is a joke,

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:01pm
Access to cash from AIB accounts still available from all Post Offices.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Access to cash from AIB accounts still available from all Post Offices.

AIB the bank that doesnt like to bank

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:22pm
sure it’ll make things easier for us all. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:03pm
About 40 minutes away from the closest Aib back that I can withdraw cash from now

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:11pm
Its s joke. Why was this not flagged before the thousands of people opened accounts with them recently from Ulster Bank. They didn't just make this decision last week. And as for people saying about Post Offices. Eeeh have you ever been in one? Slowest places on planet earth at times. Chuck in people lodging or withdrawing miney in top of paying a bill and what not. Shambles Ted shambles

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

About 40 minutes away from the closest Aib back that I can withdraw cash from now

How close is your nearest post office and closest atm? 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Closest post office is 15 minutes away. Closest atm the same.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:34pm
Can't you get cash back in a shop now? How often do people actually use cash these days anyway?

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:39pm

Closest post office is 15 minutes away. Closest atm the same.

So what fundamentally has changed for you?  

I think the big issue is for cash businesses like the vintners.   They can deposit up to 50k into a post office if they call ahead.  

Hopefully post offices expand their services and remain open in remote areas with a whole suite of services.  

If I ever have to take cash out I usually do it in the post office and I am an AIB customer. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:51pm

Can't you get cash back in a shop now? How often do people actually use cash these days anyway?

Is that a real world question? 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is that a real world question? 
I hardly ever use cash these days.
Couldn't believe when I worked in China 4 years ago that nobody carried cash, young or old (though this was mainly in cities). The world has changed. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:53pm
Dirty looks I get when I use cash in the bar, though that could just be because I'm ugly.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:05pm
Got scammed a few weeks ago by 'someone claiming to be AIB'. Whole bank account wipped out. thankfully had a chat with AIB and got the funds back in full. 

AIB will always be good in my eyes from that 

Don't think we'll ever be in a cashless society. A lot of people still use cash in all walks of life. 

Sure how will the 'dodgy lads' be able to spend that hard earned cash 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:06pm
Can you not use any ATM with your cards?

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You can but you may be charged for it.  

Also I know the atms are being removed from the AIB banks meaning some towns have one or no atm remaining in the town.  That is the major issue.  During work hours an post is open with better hours than AIB in fact but it’s the lack of an atm in a town that is a huge issue and also the depositing service overnight for cash businesses such as pubs. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You can. Complete over reaction here.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:17pm
Cash is just for tax dodgers

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

And politicians...

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And politicians...

And Entrepreneurs who sell all kinds of sweets 

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:39pm
AIB are telling people in Castletownbere to just go to Bantry. An hour away ffs. It's grand telling people use visa card etc but large parts of Ireland have no reliable Internet. Imagine trying to use a visa card in a taxi  or a pub in West CorkLOL

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

AIB are telling people in Castletownbere to just go to Bantry. An hour away ffs. It's grand telling people use visa card etc but large parts of Ireland have no reliable Internet. Imagine trying to use a visa card in a taxi  or a pub in West CorkLOL

Do they have other atms or a post office in castletownbere. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:03pm

Just a post office but that's no good to ya on a Sunday. This wouldn't actually be a big problem if the government just sorted out the Internet. 

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:13pm

Just a post office but that's no good to ya on a Sunday. This wouldn't actually be a big problem if the government just sorted out the Internet. 

The AIB was hardly open on a Sunday either.   Is
There no other atm in the town? 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:31pm

The AIB was the only outdoor one. I think Supervalu may have an indoor one alright. I suppose you'd want to plan and make sure you have your money for the weekend out earlier.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:48pm
rarely use cash but still think this is a sh*tty move by aib.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:26am

The AIB was the only outdoor one. I think Supervalu may have an indoor one alright. I suppose you'd want to plan and make sure you have your money for the weekend out earlier.

having no bank on the beara peninsula is nothing short of a disgrace, its 48km from dursey to glengarriff and another 17km to bantry. there's ~6000 living down there many of whom are elderly on top of the dozens upon dozens of local business getting royally screwed by aib. they can't all go to the post office!

this simply should not be happening to a bank in which the state owns the majority of the shares.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:36am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

having no bank on the beara peninsula is nothing short of a disgrace, its 48km from dursey to glengarriff and another 17km to bantry. there's ~6000 living down there many of whom are elderly on top of the dozens upon dozens of local business getting royally screwed by aib. they can't all go to the post office!

this simply should not be happening to a bank in which the state owns the majority of the shares.

They are not closing the banks.  They are removing the cash from the banks.  Not defending it just explaining what’s happening.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:35am

They have the internet in Casteltownbere

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:53am

They are not closing the banks.  They are removing the cash from the banks.  Not defending it just explaining what’s happening.  
might as well be closed. 

-------------

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:23am

might as well be closed. 

Plenty of Banks removed cashiers desks from branches and replaced with self service lodgement ATM's. How often do people need a cashier to get FX or buy a draft? extremely rarely I'd guess.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:33am
I can confirm that the internet is pure muck in rural Ireland. And I think its obvious that nearly all physical bank branches will be gone soon. 

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:49am

They have the internet in Casteltownbere

There's a post office in castletownbere. 

Does every country have the same amount of complaining about everything, all the time like we do? It's still easy to get cash out and 99% of the people who are greatly upset about this are the lads who want to hide their cash from the tax man. I can't believe the uproar there has been about this. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I can confirm that the internet is pure muck in rural Ireland. And I think its obvious that nearly all physical bank branches will be gone soon. 

Got the NBI email updating me on the network rollout progress for my parents house....

They can expect connection sometime between Jan 2025-Dec 2026

Wonderful stuff

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:41am
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Got the NBI email updating me on the network rollout progress for my parents house....

They can expect connection sometime between Jan 2025-Dec 2026

Wonderful stuff

the business post has been producing great content regarding the scandal NBI has become. a number of major and minor stakeholders sold 85% of the entity recently to a big multinational investor...whether it improves delivery is another matter. 

-------------

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:55pm
Bad news for buskers & beggars

Haven't been to a race mtg in a long time, can you bet by card on course ?

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:52pm
For the vast majority of people it shouldn't be an issue....For businesses it could be a disaster though. From managing a bar in Manchester we had to go to the bank every couple of days to lodge money and collect change. This would make matters much more tricky if they are with AIB

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Bad news for buskers & beggars

Haven't been to a race mtg in a long time, can you bet by card on course ?

they take card on londons tube network. the device is pre-set to take 2 quid, all you have to do is tap it as you pass.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:05pm
AIB have announced they've scrapped the plans 
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0722/1311594-central-bank-banking-services/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0722/1311594-central-bank-banking-services/

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm
I thought it was just the cashiers they were looking to remove like other banks have done. Didn't realise they wanted to take ATM's and lodgement machines too. Have bowed to pressure anyway.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I thought it was just the cashiers they were looking to remove like other banks have done. Didn't realise they wanted to take ATM's and lodgement machines too. Have bowed to pressure anyway.
They got €64B off the tax payer. That should have been enough.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

They got €64B off the tax payer. That should have been enough.

Not to mention screwing over a chunk of their customers on the mortgage scandal. An absolute shower running that company, the board in there needs removing. Government a shambles letting it get as far as it did given they're the majority shareholder. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

There's a post office in castletownbere. 

Does every country have the same amount of complaining about everything, all the time like we do? It's still easy to get cash out and 99% of the people who are greatly upset about this are the lads who want to hide their cash from the tax man. I can't believe the uproar there has been about this. 

The post office is open 40-45 hours a week. So I wouldn't want to be relying on post offices in a real emergency to get cash, outside those hours. Most outdoor ATMs are out of service in Dublin City during the night as it is, and I'm sure it's the same elsewhere. 

When you do get to the post office, there are so many public notices posted all around the office itself, and it makes a very cold and unwelcoming experience for the average customer, let alone someone who really needs to be there. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net