Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58410
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Technology - Bah humbug
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Technology - Bah humbug
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:00am
Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Getting a bit fed up with modern trends.  For example using QR codes for menus in restaurants etc.  Was in Manchester Airport recently.  Had some English cash I wanted to spend before coming back to  the EIRE.  Was hungry. So decided to have a meal and a pint at the airport. and get rid of cash,. Perfect.

Sat down.  Called waitress over . Can I have a menu please?  Was informed I have to use the qr code to see the menu.  Then when I decided what I wanted told her.  ''Oh no I can't take your order you have to download an app and order on that''. I told her I want to pay cash.  ''We dont accept cash''. f**k sake.  So download said app and the thing wouldnt work to take my payment for some reason.

So then had to tell the waitress the app isnt taking payment she informs me she doesnt know what to do.  So calls the manager over. 

f**k that sh*te.  Just take my order FFS and let me pay however the f**k I want.Angry

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

90s take me back.

These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!

Load of bollox.  Its money saving for businesses.  Less printing costs, less staff costs etc..  Even the season tickets are no more.  A poxy code on your phone and half the stadium have problems getting in with it.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:19am

90s take me back.

Load of bollox.  Its money saving for businesses.  Less printing costs, less staff costs etc..  Even the season tickets are no more.  A poxy code on your phone and half the stadium have problems getting in with it.

Fair enough - I guess you know more than my friends who work in hospitality. 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:21am

90s take me back.

So they will get rid now then I take it?

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:25am

90s take me back.

Fair enough - I guess you know more than my friends who work in hospitality. 

So its for covid but said establishments have no problem cramming people in with no social distancing?

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:27am
To be fair the QR for menu isn't the end of the world but the craic of having to order and then not accepting cash is OTT. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:35am
Technology is supposed to make things more convenient but some of this sh*te is anything but convenient.  Is it more convenient to pick up a menu and read it or have to open up a QR scanner and download a menu?  Then there can be wifi issues. If you are in America for example and the wifi is dodgy you have to use your roaming data which costs a fortune.

As I said season tickets are all on your phone now.  I prefer a card.  Making day trips from the Riviera here to Lansdowne.  Your battery can run low.  HAlf the stadium couldnt even get them to work at the last game.  Big long queues to get in with the delays.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

90s take me back.

Some will, some won't. Been a mixed bag in places I've been into. 
Some will keep it as they see it as a money save, some will get rid of it as their brand/establishment is based around personal service.

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

To be fair the QR for menu isn't the end of the world but the craic of having to order and then not accepting cash is OTT. 

The UK is definitely moving this way in certain areas, rightly or wrongly. Some racecourses are now no longer accepting cash (on course bookies the only place to use cash)

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:51am

90s take me back.

Some will keep it as they see it as a money save, some will get rid of it as their brand/establishment is based around personal service.

So you are agreeing with me now after arguing it was for covid safetyConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:54am

90s take me back.

So you are agreeing with me now after arguing it was for covid safetyConfused

No, my original statement was:

"These systems were introduced due to a thing called Covid - You may be familiar with it...!"

That's past tense - I was explaining where there came from/why they were introduced and that they weren't really a "trend"

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:08pm
Every week a thread like this LOL

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:12pm
I’ve never felt particularly comfortable with the retort of “just do it on your phone”, or “just use the app”. Or when people express a good idea but it is contingent on having functional and up to specification device.

If smart phones can ultimately become as affordable as more primitive models were, and can endure in the same way, and as technology becomes more and more relevant, it will become much easier to use apps, QR codes etc.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 1:41pm

If you think this is annoying, wait until the AI killer robots are running the show 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:10pm
Would have just walked out tbh.

Its not a Covid thing either, been around well before it.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:21pm
a load of places in london no longer accept cash. tbh i rarely use it so it doesn't bother me.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

a load of places in london no longer accept cash. tbh i rarely use it so it doesn't bother me.

Cash isn't a problem, most people pay with cards or Android/Apple Pay but faffing about having to scan and download menus through QR codes and/or ordering and paying through an app is a joke.

The few places I've experienced this the waiters spend more time running around explaining to people what they have to do than if they had just had a physical menu at the tables and took orders on their own POS tablets / smartphones. 

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:15pm
Newark airport was practically cashless 8 years ago - ordered and paid for for your drink via touchpads at each bar seat location 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:28pm

90s take me back.

Nah these systems in long before covid.

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

90s take me back.

Nah these systems in long before covid.

Which they were - But the onset of Covid made them a lot more widespread.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:43pm
TJ in technology meltdown Shocked

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:39pm
II dont like the newish McDonalds system.   In the past you waited and paid at the counter and got food put on your tray instantly and off you went.

Now they encourage you to use the screens to order and pay with card and then then you get a raffle umber and it seems to take ages for your food to come as yes the payment might be quicker but the lads making the burgers cant make tgem quick enough to keep up so there is always a  backlog.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:47pm
Agree
I go to the drive through instead now 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:59am

II dont like the newish McDonalds system.   In the past you waited and paid at the counter and got food put on your tray instantly and off you went.

Now they encourage you to use the screens to order and pay with card and then then you get a raffle umber and it seems to take ages for your food to come as yes the payment might be quicker but the lads making the burgers cant make tgem quick enough to keep up so there is always a  backlog.

It's a much better system for McDonald's IMO. McDonald's used to be a disaster when you tried to order a plain burger or a burger without certain things on it when you ordered at the counter. Now, you can select exactly what you want on it. Great system.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:00am
Pros and cons to many of the things. 
The menu things are handy at times you know what's on the full drinks menu for example and you also don't have to wait on a waiter. But then if you are ordering for multiple people at a time then your spending a lot of your time on the phone. 

The McDonald's waiting around for 10 minutes after ordering for a happy meal trying not to get in the way can also be annoying but then the ability to custom the burger to your choosing and that you don't have to deal with a queue generally are positives. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Newark airport was practically cashless 8 years ago - ordered and paid for for your drink via touchpads at each bar seat location 

that was probably an outlier as back then it commonplace in america for you to have to sign receipts after swiping your card. i couldn't get over the fact when i went to the states 5 years ago they didn't have chip and pin or contactless. i believe that has changed or is about to change.

agree with posters though re scanning QR codes for menus. a right pain in the hole it is. came across one place a few months back that had paper menus behind the till for customers who were unable to scan the QR codes.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It's a much better system for McDonald's IMO. McDonald's used to be a disaster when you tried to order a plain burger or a burger without certain things on it when you ordered at the counter. Now, you can select exactly what you want on it. Great system.
+1

to add i hate queueing, no time for it. went into a mcdonalds in scotland recently where you could pre-order your meal on an app and it'd be ready when you arrived. 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You also don't get fat shamed ordering off a screen LOL

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:28am

that was probably an outlier as back then it commonplace in america for you to have to sign receipts after swiping your card. i couldn't get over the fact when i went to the states 5 years ago they didn't have chip and pin or contactless. i believe that has changed or is about to change.

agree with posters though re scanning QR codes for menus. a right pain in the hole it is. came across one place a few months back that had paper menus behind the till for customers who were unable to scan the QR codes.

Was over there recently. Still have to sign paper receipts and majoritynof the time tapping didnt work. Had to use chip and pin.

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:38am
In Tescos you can scan as you go. Then go to the designated till. Scan the scanner and pay by card. Really speeds up the shop. Save time by only putting stuff into trolley once. And no queues for then tills. 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:08pm
Question for tech heads. 

I’m on my holidays. I tried to watch the Pats game on RTE news app but got a message saying “not available to watch in your location”. I switched off the wifi on my phone and it worked on 4G. Turned the wifi back on and it still worked. 

I noticed before that Paddy Power won’t work with wifi but will work with 4G. 

What is the reason for this? Seems ridiculous.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:14pm

Was over there recently. Still have to sign paper receipts and majoritynof the time tapping didnt work. Had to use chip and pin.

The reason for that is so the bartender or server can get a tip. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Question for tech heads. 

I’m on my holidays. I tried to watch the Pats game on RTE news app but got a message saying “not available to watch in your location”. I switched off the wifi on my phone and it worked on 4G. Turned the wifi back on and it still worked. 

They are using GEO location.

Your wifi will have a local IP in whatever place your in but your 4G will be connecting from an IP in Ireland.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:57pm
I have a vpn but still can't watch RTE on the laptop? Any tips around that?

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Question for tech heads. 

They are using GEO location.

Your wifi will have a local IP in whatever place your in but your 4G will be connecting from an IP in Ireland.

Cheers Horse

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

What does tell you?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://whatismyipaddress.com/

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 12:04am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

What does tell you?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://whatismyipaddress.com/

??? I hid the address of IPV4 

My IP Address is:

IPv4: ? xxxxxxxx

IPv6: ? Not detected

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:37am
Weird.

Google what's my IP address and see what it says.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:04pm
No it showed my IP address I just put in xxs as I didn't want to show it on here? Maybe I'm beeing needlessly paranoid Big smile

The google and what's my ip both match 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 3:35pm
Ive googled and cant find anything that works so any help appreciated if anyone has experienced this and has any tips or a solution.

So I’ve an iPad Air 4 (although this also happened on my old one)and anytime Im watching anything, be it the IPTV, YouTube or any of the players, the volume level lowers by itself. Even when I manually increase it, it just drops back down again almost instantly. Ive toyed with all the sound settings of which there are or seems to be only one or two that should affect it. Its obviously a software issue be it intentional or a glitch. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Ive googled and cant find anything that works so any help appreciated if anyone has experienced this and has any tips or a solution.

So I’ve an iPad Air 4 (although this also happened on my old one)and anytime Im watching anything, be it the IPTV, YouTube or any of the players, the volume level lowers by itself. Even when I manually increase it, it just drops back down again almost instantly. Ive toyed with all the sound settings of which there are or seems to be only one or two that should affect it. Its obviously a software issue be it intentional or a glitch. 

GF had the same problem, it was the volume button that was stuck in she had to send it off for repair.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

GF had the same problem, it was the volume button that was stuck in she had to send it off for repair.
Was her volume going down fully though seeing as the button was stuck? Just copped my original post wasn’t as clear as it should be. When I said the level lowers, it lowers a bit, as in about 15-20% its doesnt go completely silent.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 3:51pm
maybe you're just going deaf

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

maybe you're just going deaf
Thats why I need it to stay up full

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 5:38pm

Was her volume going down fully though seeing as the button was stuck? Just copped my original post wasn’t as clear as it should be. When I said the level lowers, it lowers a bit, as in about 15-20% its doesnt go completely silent.

Ah, something different so. Yeah hers kept going fully down like the button was being held down. Id say you're right with it being some sort of software issue then.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 5:46pm

Ah, something different so. Yeah hers kept going fully down like the button was being held down. Id say you're right with it being some sort of software issue then.
Thumbs Up

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 6:10pm
Could be sound setting set to a safe listening volume 

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/ipad/ipade8c21895/ipados#:~:text=Reduce%20loud%20headphone%20sounds%20in%20Settings&text=Go%20to%20Settings%20%3E%20Screen%20Time,then%20select%20Don" rel="nofollow - https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/ipad/ipade8c21895/ipados#:~:text=Reduce%20loud%20headphone%20sounds%20in%20Settings&text=Go%20to%20Settings%20%3E%20Screen%20Time,then%20select%20Don 't%20Allow

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 7:18pm
Yeah that was one pf the sound settings i toyed with already. No joy. Even activated it powered off, restarted and then knocked it off again.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 7:47pm

Yeah that was one pf the sound settings i toyed with already. No joy. Even activated it powered off, restarted and then knocked it off again.

Any updates pending?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 7:56pm
Nope all up to date. Ive googled and found people asking the same question but thers never an answer that works

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 11:24pm
AppleThumbs Down

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net