Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58408
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tony Springett
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Tony Springett
Date Posted: 09 May 2022 at 4:49pm
Made his Premier League debut for Norwich over the weekend playing 45 min in their defeat to West Ham. 

English-born 19 year old winger who has played for us at u18 three years ago, but seems to have fallen off the radar with the disruption caused to fixtures by Covid. 

He has done very well at PL2/u23 lever this year, with 8 goals and 9 assists in 22 matches. 

With 3 more PL games for already-relegated Norwich, we might see him get more top-flight exposure, before what is hopefully a breakthrough year for him in the Championship next season. 

More on the lad here:  
https://punditarena.com/football/ronan-calvert/tony-springett-irelands-latest-premier-league-debutant/  " rel="nofollow - https://punditarena.com/football/ronan-calvert/tony-springett-irelands-latest-premier-league-debutant/   ;

Replies:
Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:27am
I see he's discussed in the underage prospects thread but probably deserves his own.

His club manager had this to say about his PL debut at the weekend: "I was really pleased with what Tony did. It's tough to come on when you're 3-0 down against West Ham. He is full of effort, endeavour and is skilful and talented. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come."

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:14am
LOL at the tricolour and union jack in his Twitter profile.

https://mobile.twitter.com/springett_t" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/springett_t

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:21am
He's probably got duel citizenship and he was born in London.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:25am
He probably just loves The EIRE

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:26am
Or maybe he's joined the Alliance Party.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:51am
Tony would be a good one to spring from the bench but at his age it might be putting a lamb to the wolves

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:55am
Played once for us several years ago in an U18 friendly, I believe. Is he definitely eligible or is there a possibility he could be ineligible, like Taylor Gardner-Hickman?

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:04pm
It's possible that he could be ineligible, playing Under 18s doesn't necessarily mean anything as it's a non-competitive age group.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/springett_t" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/springett_t

It appears that you find it funny that someone can identify as both Irish and English. That seems narrow minded to me. 

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

It appears that you find it funny that someone can identify as both Irish and English. That seems narrow minded to me. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it funny. A bit like that time Simon Cox pretended he gave a sh*te about his roots and had Galway listed on his Twitter profile (until he stopped getting call-ups).

-------------

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Declan Rice springs to mind

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 3:35pm
Hope springs to mind eternal. Yesterday most of us didn't know of this kid's existence. However he regards his heritage we'll know by and by.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Declan Rice springs to mind

Or Gary Breen.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:37pm
The lad is seemingly eligible and hasn't ever played for the England underage set up. Again we can all see the barrier to entry that is getting into the England senior side long term especially in attacking positions 

Hopefully he's in the next 21s squad tbh if he makes a few PL appearances before the season runs out (can make 3 more) it would be silly not to bring him in even if he's making up the numbers of said squad. 

Smith seems to rate him could see him getting plenty gametime next year even if mostly off the bench.

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:53pm
He has cousins in Wexford think his mother is Irish born.

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

By virtue of being eligible for Ireland you'd assume he has cousins here alright, unless his entire extended family uprooted at the same time.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Good to see ties are strong then, not that it helped with Liam Delap... yet.

Few other players coming through with multiple options on the international scene.

Springett obviously born in England.

Ben Andreucci is a very promising forward playing for Leeds whose played for England u15s, Scotland u16 (I think) and now plays for us at u19s 

Paul Nebel (19) who is a German lad playing 9 times in the Bundesliga this season seems a maybe.

Nebel called up for the German U20s. Seems to be a case of "Don't call me, I'll call you". Opposite situation with Noss and Garcia-MacNulty. They're with us but have both made statements about their intl futures hinting that Germany/Spain would be their first choice in a perfect world.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:54pm
Noss and MacNulty have hinted no such thing, they have said they would be happy to represent Ireland or their countries of birth, which is completely reasonable. You have simply decided to interpret their dual identities as a favouritism for Germany/Spain over Ireland (nothing new there...).

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Noss and MacNulty have hinted no such thing, they have said they would be happy to represent Ireland or their countries of birth, which is completely reasonable. You have simply decided to interpret their dual identities as a favouritism for Germany/Spain over Ireland (nothing new there...).

That's a very optimistic take on what they said, O'Shea! I don't think there's a single person on this forum, other than you, who genuinely believes Noss would choose us over Germany if he was starting every week for Monchengladbach, or Garcia-MacNulty doing same for Spain if he was playing every week for Wolfsburg.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:18pm

That's a very optimistic take on what they said, O'Shea! I don't think there's a single person on this forum, other than you, who genuinely believes Noss would choose us over Germany if he was starting every week for Monchengladbach, or Garcia-MacNulty doing same for Spain if he was playing every week for Wolfsburg.

I made no such claim, because unlike you I don't profess to pass off my suspicions about someones intention as fact. Neither of us know Noss or MacNulty's inner thoughts, but you continue to insist that you do, and funnily enough your insistence is always geared toward distrust of foreign born individuals.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: KingKenny
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:29pm

I made no such claim, because unlike you I don't profess to pass off my suspicions about someones intention as fact. Neither of us know Noss or MacNulty's inner thoughts, but you continue to insist that you do, and funnily enough your insistence is always geared toward distrust of foreign born individuals.

Nope O'Shea you're wrong. Nationality is simple you're either 100% Irish or 0% Irish and just using to further your career. Obviously dual nationality is a myth as it's impossible to feel a connection to more than one thing

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by KingKenny KingKenny wrote:

Nope O'Shea you're wrong. Nationality is simple you're either 100% Irish or 0% Irish and just using to further your career. Obviously dual nationality is a myth as it's impossible to feel a connection to more than one thing

Funnily enough, all the dual-eligible players who were good enough to play for both countries declared for England. The vast majority who wouldn't get near an England squad declare for us. Those who were borderline good enough to play for England underage vacillate between the two nations when it suits (Crowley, Ronan). Just recently you have a lad Taylor Gardner-Hickman playing for us underage who apparently couldn't even tell you what his roots are, going by the fact he later turned out to be ineligible. Doesn't stop the usual lads jumping the gun and starting a thread for this lad (who may or may not be eligible).

There are lads who've played for England (because they were good enough) who are proud of their Irish roots but don't consider themselves Irish. There are lads who've declared for us who don't possess a scintilla of Irishness. 

I think lads are severely overestimating the amount of third generation or second generation English lads with Irish grandparents or one Irish parent walking around who identify as Irish. 

f**k me like. I'm sure the Harry Kanes who visit family in Connemara but don't pretend they're Irish when it suits them are far more common.

I grew up with lads either side of me with English mothers, English cousins, and who visited England every summer. They were Irish and you wouldn't even know of any English links unless their mothers chatted to you or their cousins were over on holiday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/amp/" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/amp/

Anyways, the posters who aren't utter headbangers and alt-accounts can read that and make up their own minds what Noss would do if Germany showed interest in him.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anselmo-garcia-mcnulty-happy-to-continue-international-career-with-ireland-40902252.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anselmo-garcia-mcnulty-happy-to-continue-international-career-with-ireland-40902252.html

And read that and make up their own minds on what Garcia-MacNulty would do if Spain came calling.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:05pm

Funnily enough, all the dual-eligible players who were good enough to play for both countries declared for England. The vast majority who wouldn't get near an England squad declare for us. Those who were borderline good enough to play for England underage vacillate between the two nations when it suits (Crowley, Ronan). Just recently you have a lad Taylor Gardner-Hickman playing for us underage who apparently couldn't even tell you what his roots are, going by the fact he later turned out to be ineligible. Doesn't stop the usual lads jumping the gun and starting a thread for this lad (who may or may not be eligible).

There are lads who've played for England (because they were good enough) who are proud of their Irish roots but don't consider themselves Irish. There are lads who've declared for us who don't possess a scintilla of Irishness. 

I think lads are severely overestimating the amount of third generation or second generation English lads with Irish grandparents or one Irish parent walking around who identify as Irish. 

f**k me like. I'm sure the Harry Kanes who visit family in Connemara but don't pretend they're Irish when it suits them are far more common.

I grew up with lads either side of me with English mothers, English cousins, and who visited England every summer. They were Irish and you wouldn't even know of any English links unless their mothers chatted to you or their cousins were over on holiday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/amp/" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/amp/

Anyways, the posters who aren't utter headbangers and alt-accounts can read that and make up their own minds what Noss would do if Germany showed interest in him.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anselmo-garcia-mcnulty-happy-to-continue-international-career-with-ireland-40902252.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anselmo-garcia-mcnulty-happy-to-continue-international-career-with-ireland-40902252.html

And read that and make up their own minds on what Garcia-MacNulty would do if Spain came calling.

Again, simply lying with impunity to push your agenda. Your one man crusade against dual nationals is no less bizarre now than it ever was, and your determination to ringfence Irishness and exclude those who don't meet your stringent criteria is quite disturbing.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:09pm
Garcia MacNulty alerted the FAI himself when he was in his mid teens ( he's only 19 now ) that he was eligible and wanted to play for Ireland. His mother is from Clare and brought him over to Ireland every summer when he was growing up. I heard somewhere that his father was Basque or Catalan and was opposed to him playing for Spain. Like Rice or Liam Delap, he may have developed a contrary view of his own but I hope not as I think this lad could become a really top player.

Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:33pm

Again, simply lying with impunity to push your agenda. Your one man crusade against dual nationals is no less bizarre now than it ever was, and your determination to ringfence Irishness and exclude those who don't meet your stringent criteria is quite disturbing.

No, bizarre and disturbing is that deranged private message you sent me. Anyone is welcome to click on the links to the articles I posted and draw their own conclusions. 

"Crusade against dual nationals". LOL

In their own words, Noss and Garcia-MacNulty failed to commit their intl futures to Ireland. How is that a crusade when I'm literally just repeating what they said? 

Grealish made similar soundbites about his long-term intl future when he played for us underage and we know how that went. We're probably safe with these two lads, but only because they, more than likely, won't end up playing at high enough of a level to justify a senior intl call-up. 

-------------

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:47pm
Starting tonight vs Leicester.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:42pm

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Starting tonight vs Leicester.

Really crazy... gets his first premier league start and has been pretty much unheard of even on this forum.

Clearly highly thought of at Norwich. Could be a trio of Omobamidele, idah and springett playing for Norwich next season.

Josh Giurgi is there too, think hes been named on the bench once or twice this season, hasnt he? If Max Aarons happens to move on in the summer he could come into the picture.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:28pm
This will no doubt ruffle some feathers, but I would think there is a case for Springett to be called up to the senior squad for the Nations League games.  

Get him involved and interested in playing for us early on. 

Norwich clearly rate him and - given they're blooding him now - might see him as a starter next year when they'll aim to be challenging to win the Championship.  

One area in my opinion that Ireland have fallen behind in since Mick's first stint in the 90s is having a spot in the senior squad for a "development player" - a young player with great potential who possibly isn't playing first team yet.  

I remember Mick did it with Richie Dunne, maybe for a qualifier against top-seeds Romania, and always had young, unproven players in the squad, especially at the start of his reign.  Stan did something similar with Terry Dixon - obviously his career didn't work out as lots of injuries. 

We've capped the likes of the Three Joes, Lapira, O'Cearbuill and Gamble in the past - I don't see anything wrong with getting someone with high potential like Springett involved now and maybe give him a few minutes against Ukraine or Scotland.  He already has more PL minutes than Parrott, Bazunu and Knight combined (ok, slightly unfair stat).

Other countries with similar playing pools to ourselves, particularly Wales and NI, would be giving him a senior call-up.

A similar, albeit weaker, case could be made for Conor Noss, who has been on the bench for Borussia Moenchengladbach for a whole series of important Bundesliga games (and at least to my eyes looked handy for us in the few U21 games he played).  

Smallbone same, same.  [So long as no clash with important U21 qualifiers - haven't checked].

Whilst we want to do well in the Nations League, this is by definition a transition period (between WC and European qualifiers) and the NL is really just slightly more-serious friendlies.  Other countries have used this time very well to incorporate new players. 

Also, put it this way, and I haven't even seen Springett play yet, but at this moment in time, even at that he can't be a worse option than Connolly or Horgan!

Mad, Ted.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:53pm
We shouldn't feel the need to fast-track dual-eligible players into the first team on the basis of playing one PL game just to tie them down and prevent them from being eligible for anyone else.

Dixon, O'Cearuill, Lapira and Gamble are proof of how absurd a thought process stuff like that is.

People keep bringing Wales up. Completely different situation. Yes they have one or two very good players (Davies, Ramsey) and another generational one (Bale) but, apart from that, they have very little strength in depth even compared to us.

How would you even decide who gets these token squad places? I mean there have been similar cases made for Liam Kelly, Daniel Crowley and Jack Taylor (currently linked with the mighty Ipswich) in the past. I'm sure there was for lads like Michael Harriman and Reece Grego-Cox when they got fleeting game time in the PL.

And how would lads like Jack Byrne and Daniel Mandroiu feel about it? 

And what of those already on the periphery of the squad, like Mark Sykes, who's on the verge of a move to Bristol City in the Championship after a great campaign? Do we push him to the back of the queue now because one lad has made one start for an already relegated team?

The Under-21 team is the right place for boys like Smallbone and Springett. There is no mad rush to cap them. They're way off being good enough for England and, if they're committed, they don't need to be bribed into playing for us in the long-term.

-------------

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Norwich clearly rate him and - given they're blooding him now - might see him as a starter next year when they'll aim to be challenging to win the Championship.

Or they're just giving him time in meaningless games to judge where he is when it comes to senior football. Has Sargent, Rashica, Dowell, and Rowe who was called up from the 23s when Smith came in ahead of him. You've also got Cantwell possibly coming back and another couple of wide players in the squad. Probably more chance of him getting a loan than being a starter for Norwich.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:06pm
Some good points, but overall inaccurate in relation to Wales.  Yes, they have those very good players and generational players that you say. 

However, Wales' strength in depth has been massively improved by capping English-born players as teenagers.  

[Edited aside: Funnily enough, Wales have weirdly often had very good or "generational" players, such as Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, or even Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders (a UK transfer record player in his day if I remember correctly), but the team was always let down by having too many league 1 level players in it.  So your Ryan Giggs players couldn't make much of a difference.  Now the Gareth Bales and Ramsey's are playing with low-level PL and top-half Championship players instead - and so the deep does not suffer from the lack of strength in depth]

A few examples in recent squads of English born teenagers capped at senior level by Wales who have added to their team and strength in depth, many of whom would start for us and all would be in our squads:

- Daniel James, formerly of Man U, now Leeds, loads of PL appearances

- Ethan Ampadu, who shockingly we missed out on despite his Dad playing for us - lots of PL appearances for someone his age.  Proved, ironically in games against our lads, that he is better than many of our players! 

- Chris Mepham - Bournemouth player, PL experience and back in PL again now (was 21 not a teenager when called up, but same point).

- Matondo - Bundesliga and Champions League football with Schalke, now with Cercle Brugge 

- Ben Woodburn - had a few years of very good form before falling off, but still a regular for Hearts and great potential - still on Liverpool's books who must rate him

- David Brooks - cracking player linked with Champions League clubs not so long ago before sadly falling ill. 

- Tyler Roberts - 100 games for Leeds, about half of them in the PL.

- Matthew Smith - an outstanding young player who didn't make it at Man City, but spent time in the Erdivisie and Championship.  Now rebuilding at MK Dons.

That's off the top of my head a list of English-born lads capped for Wales as teenagers who have improved their team and strength and depth and most would get into our 11 or at least squad, thus improving strength in depth. 

I think this illustrates there is a lot to be gained from getting lads like this involved at a senior level early enough. 

I'd love to see Kenny use the NL windows as an opportunity to do so.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:20pm

We shouldn't feel the need to fast-track dual-eligible players into the first team on the basis of playing one PL game just to tie them down and prevent them from being eligible for anyone else.

Dixon, O'Cearuill, Lapira and Gamble are proof of how absurd a thought process stuff like that is.

People keep bringing Wales up. Completely different situation. Yes they have one or two very good players (Davies, Ramsey) and another generational one (Bale) but, apart from that, they have very little strength in depth even compared to us.

How would you even decide who gets these token squad places? I mean there have been similar cases made for Liam Kelly, Daniel Crowley and Jack Taylor (currently linked with the mighty Ipswich) in the past. I'm sure there was for lads like Michael Harriman and Reece Grego-Cox when they got fleeting game time in the PL.

And how would lads like Jack Byrne and Daniel Mandroiu feel about it? 

And what of those already on the periphery of the squad, like Mark Sykes, who's on the verge of a move to Bristol City in the Championship after a great campaign? Do we push him to the back of the queue now because one lad has made one start for an already relegated team?

The Under-21 team is the right place for boys like Smallbone and Springett. There is no mad rush to cap them. They're way off being good enough for England and, if they're committed, they don't need to be bribed into playing for us in the long-term.

Jesus the only other nation he was eligible for was the people's Republic of Cork.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:27pm
I actually don't mind the development player idea, but I'm not sure I'd be giving the spot to Springett. I'd probably go with someone who is a better bet to make the seniors longer term, like Festy Ebosele or Tayo Adaramola. Both seem to be surplus to requirements for the Under 21s at present, so why not bring them in and give them the experience. They'd hopefully both jump at the chance.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:36pm
Not a bad idea.  Both Festy and Adaramola at this point would seem to have high ceilings. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:53pm
I think he's definitely good enough for the under 21's and should be in the next squad for them. I was quite impressed with his couple of appearances for Norwich so far, seems well balanced and comfortable on the ball (not the sort of player we have many of). I think throwing him straight in with the seniors would be jumping the gun though, there are plenty of other uncapped players ahead of him in the queue.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 6:09pm
Similar to Cashin they probably waited until the last minute to do his paperwork. Strong chance he's not yet eligible to play in competitive games for us.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 6:20pm

I think throwing him straight in with the seniors would be jumping the gun though, there are plenty of other uncapped players ahead of him in the queue.

This was the same attitude management had vis a vis a young Grealish who was smashing it in League 1 at 18 for Notts County (could easily have been picked for an easy match at home v Gibralter) and Declan Rice after 5 PL games for West Ham (could easily have been picked for a handy game v Moldova).  

Also, the list of uncapped PL players ahead of him in the queue is: zero.  Norwich should be looking to be in the top-half of the Championship next year, and there aren't too many such uncapped players either. 

If you're good enough to play PL or top half of Championship, you're probably good enough for our squad, even taking age out of it. 

Would love to see maybe 2 or 3 of Springett, Smallbone, Adaramola and Festy (although don't want to be rewarding his recent attitude issues) in our senior squad for one or two of the upcoming NL games.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I actually don't mind the development player idea, but I'm not sure I'd be giving the spot to Springett. I'd probably go with someone who is a better bet to make the seniors longer term, like Festy Ebosele or Tayo Adaramola. Both seem to be surplus to requirements for the Under 21s at present, so why not bring them in and give them the experience. They'd hopefully both jump at the chance.
half of our squad have been development players in the last 18 months.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 6:36pm

Some good points, but overall inaccurate in relation to Wales.  Yes, they have those very good players and generational players that you say. 

However, Wales' strength in depth has been massively improved by capping English-born players as teenagers.  

[Edited aside: Funnily enough, Wales have weirdly often had very good or "generational" players, such as Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, or even Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders (a UK transfer record player in his day if I remember correctly), but the team was always let down by having too many league 1 level players in it.  So your Ryan Giggs players couldn't make much of a difference.  Now the Gareth Bales and Ramsey's are playing with low-level PL and top-half Championship players instead - and so the deep does not suffer from the lack of strength in depth]

A few examples in recent squads of English born teenagers capped at senior level by Wales who have added to their team and strength in depth, many of whom would start for us and all would be in our squads:

- Daniel James, formerly of Man U, now Leeds, loads of PL appearances

- Ethan Ampadu, who shockingly we missed out on despite his Dad playing for us - lots of PL appearances for someone his age.  Proved, ironically in games against our lads, that he is better than many of our players! 

- Chris Mepham - Bournemouth player, PL experience and back in PL again now (was 21 not a teenager when called up, but same point).

- Matondo - Bundesliga and Champions League football with Schalke, now with Cercle Brugge 

- Ben Woodburn - had a few years of very good form before falling off, but still a regular for Hearts and great potential - still on Liverpool's books who must rate him

- David Brooks - cracking player linked with Champions League clubs not so long ago before sadly falling ill. 

- Tyler Roberts - 100 games for Leeds, about half of them in the PL.

- Matthew Smith - an outstanding young player who didn't make it at Man City, but spent time in the Erdivisie and Championship.  Now rebuilding at MK Dons.

That's off the top of my head a list of English-born lads capped for Wales as teenagers who have improved their team and strength and depth and most would get into our 11 or at least squad, thus improving strength in depth. 

I think this illustrates there is a lot to be gained from getting lads like this involved at a senior level early enough. 

I'd love to see Kenny use the NL windows as an opportunity to do so.
Ampadu is Welsh so nothing shocking in missing out on him.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:28pm

[/QUOTE]Ampadu is Welsh so nothing shocking in missing out on him.[/QUOTE]

Ampadu was born and raised in England (Exeter) to an Irish professional footballer Dad (of Ghanian heritage) and a Welsh Mum.  

Not born in Wales and never lived in Wales afaik.  So another talented English-born player capped by the Welsh in his early teenage years.  

Has proved a fantastic find for them.  And a loss for us, given his Dad's record for us.

Date Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:20pm

Personally I'd like to see an u21 team that looks like the below just for the amount of ability in it and they all still qualify.

Bazunu 
        Omobamidele Collins Cashin
Ebosele                                            Bagan 

Knight smallbone kilkenny

Idah   Parrott 

Subs
Ferguson
Springett 
Coventry 

That team would give our senior team a run for its money!

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 12:31am
did his dad not play a few under 21s

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Are you thinking of Anto Scully and his dad Tony?

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:11am

Quote Ampadu is Welsh so nothing shocking in missing out on him.

Ampadu was born and raised in England (Exeter) to an Irish professional footballer Dad (of Ghanian heritage) and a Welsh Mum.  

Not born in Wales and never lived in Wales afaik.  So another talented English-born player capped by the Welsh in his early teenage years.  

Has proved a fantastic find for them.  And a loss for us, given his Dad's record for us.

Ampadu currently plays for Venezia, who are stone last in Serie A and heading for relegation. Last season he played for Sheffield United who finished bottom of the Premier League. The season before that he hardly got a kick for RB Leipzig and he has played a total of 10 minutes of league football for his parent club, Chelsea.

He's also a centre back - a position where we're absolutely stacked.

I don't think we have missed out on too much here to be honest, but the fact he has 30+ caps for Wales tells it's own story. They don't have the player depth to pick from that we do, that's why they're able to take a chance on non-Welsh lads like Ampadu when they're 17. Most will go the way of Ben Woodburn and others, spiraling down the divisions, a few will develop into middling players like Ampadu and they're just hoping they'll pull the next Gareth Bale out of somewhere, but that seems unlikely. 

Once Bale moves on Wales will go back to being a slightly better version of Northern Ireland, generally not qualifying for tournaments and trying to cap any half decent teenager that qualifies for them to tie them down to the team.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Are you thinking of Anto Scully and his dad Tony?

Both Scully and Ethan Ampadu have fathers who played for Ireland U21.  Kwame Ampadu played for Belvedere before going to Arsenal.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:20pm

Quote Ampadu is Welsh so nothing shocking in missing out on him.

Ampadu currently plays for Venezia, who are stone last in Serie A and heading for relegation. Last season he played for Sheffield United who finished bottom of the Premier League. The season before that he hardly got a kick for RB Leipzig and he has played a total of 10 minutes of league football for his parent club, Chelsea.

He's also a centre back - a position where we're absolutely stacked.

I don't think we have missed out on too much here to be honest, but the fact he has 30+ caps for Wales tells it's own story. They don't have the player depth to pick from that we do, that's why they're able to take a chance on non-Welsh lads like Ampadu when they're 17. Most will go the way of Ben Woodburn and others, spiraling down the divisions, a few will develop into middling players like Ampadu and they're just hoping they'll pull the next Gareth Bale out of somewhere, but that seems unlikely. 

Once Bale moves on Wales will go back to being a slightly better version of Northern Ireland, generally not qualifying for tournaments and trying to cap any half decent teenager that qualifies for them to tie them down to the team.

Ampadu's a quality player and proved it when they hammered us 4-0 in Dublin.  

Can play defensive-mid very well and arguably better than Cullen (though a different type of player).  Certainly far further ahead in his career at his age than Cullen was at the same time. 

We could definitely have done with him. Spilt milk, though.

Agree generally re what happens when Bale moves on, but it kind of goes for us as well - without a Roy Keane or a Duff-Robbie Keane combo, we're fairly ordinary.  Us, Wales, NI, Scotland, just need one top-class player to build a team around - a Roy Keane, Gareth Bale, or dare I say it, Jack Grealish or Declan Rice.  Ooops - more spilt milk!

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:00pm

Can play defensive-mid very well and arguably better than Cullen (though a different type of player).  Certainly far further ahead in his career at his age than Cullen was at the same time. 

Agree generally re what happens when Bale moves on, but it kind of goes for us as well - without a Roy Keane or a Duff-Robbie Keane combo, we're fairly ordinary.  Us, Wales, NI, Scotland, just need one top-class player to build a team around - a Roy Keane, Gareth Bale, or dare I say it, Jack Grealish or Declan Rice.  Ooops - more spilt milk!

Disagree on Ampadu as a DM. Has looked nothing more than average in Serie A this season. Does well out of possession but doesn't offer too much on it

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:13pm

Disagree on Ampadu as a DM. Has looked nothing more than average in Serie A this season. Does well out of possession but doesn't offer too much on it

And he didn't want to play for Ireland. He wanted to play for Wales. What are we supposed to do, capture him and force him to play for us under duress?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-30867614.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-30867614.html

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:16pm

Plus Robbie Savage would have looked quality in that 4-1 game with how bad we were set up for it under MON and he was retired about 7yrs at that stage.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:22pm
Ampadu has been given a good shot at the Premier League, the Bundesliga and Serie A now and has looked no more than mediocre in any of them.

Currently being linked to a string of Championship clubs next season which says a lot about his career trajectory. Could easily go the same way as Ben Woodburn has (or Aaron Connolly seems to be going, to use an Irish example). Has been given a lot of chances at a higher level and hasn't kicked on.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 2:48am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Similar to Cashin they probably waited until the last minute to do his paperwork. Strong chance he's not yet eligible to play in competitive games for us.

Apparently Cashins paperwork still isn't fully finished. I wouldn't be surprised if Springetts paperwork wasn't sorted, wasn't he previously only part of noncompetitive U18s?

Wouldn't say that at all.
Festy was named in the last U21s squad until he had his little issue.

Adaramola has been with the U19s, he'll certainly be moved up for the next U21s campaign. Possibly for the June games as a backup for Bagan. (Crawford used Lyons as backup for both LWB & RWB last camp).

I think that's been the best place for both of them for now.

But yeah, I don't think Springett warrants it either.

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

half of our squad have been development players in the last 18 months.

Yeah kind of. I'd say Parrott in particular has held that "Development Player" spot since Kenny has come in.
Coventry was called up in March 2021 to train with the squad. Lee O'Connor & Omobamidele were called up to train last summer (though more because of injuries).

I think if anyone is to be called up next as a development case it should be Coventry (followed by Kilkenny once he gets playing regularly). Apparently the thinking around West Ham is Coventry has a higher ceiling than Cullen, which if true would be great for us and would certainly be worth investing time in given how light we are in that position.

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:18am
Surely it should be the other way around considering Coventry looked lost in the Championship for Peterborough whereas Kilkenny was able to step up pretty much straight away.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:28am
Should probably factor in the teams they were playing for though. Kilkenny would probably have struggled at Peterborough, Coventry would probably have looked good at Bournemouth. They're different kinds of midfielder but I don't think there's much between them at this point. Both should have solid careers.

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:08pm
Back on the bench this afternoon

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:18pm
Look to be playing a back three today.

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:41pm

Surely it should be the other way around considering Coventry looked lost in the Championship for Peterborough whereas Kilkenny was able to step up pretty much straight away.

Oh I'm on the verge of arguing for Kilkenny's inclusion too. As you say he's already shown himself very handy in the Championship (& in the right team will grow & grow), I just think his lack of games since January hurts his case.

Had he gone on loan, even to League 1 like Coventry, then he'd have probably 15+ starts under his belt and would be in a much better position for pushing into the Ireland squad.

Coventry had a tough time at Peterborough sure, but was that him struggling in the Championship or was that him in a team that was struggling in the Championship. I agree with YTM there, the overall level of the team needs to be taken into account there.

Since going to MK Dons Coventry has started 22 games in a row, playing the full 90' in all but 1 (75' on his debut), and helped them push from 6th to almost securing automatic promotion. He did very well there.
I think he'll get a good Championship loan next season.

Hourihane being Cullens backup is a genuine worry. Cullen can't play every game, and Hourihane is just not good enough, we're going nowhere if we have to rely on him in important games. I would rather get Coventry in now & start blooding him.

[/off topic]

[on topic]
How 'bout that Springett lad, eh? I hear he plays football or something...

Date Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:05pm
Cashin, Ebosele, Bagan and McLaughlin all came into struggling sides during the season and fared pretty well; McLaughlin was instrumental in Hull getting out of relegation trouble.

And I'd argue it's just as hard to come into a struggling side as a defender.

And, yes, I know re: Ebosele.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:16am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Look to be playing a back three today.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 5:28pm
On for the last 30' vs Spurs.

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:25pm

Probably get more chances in the championship next year. A bit of a baptism of fire throwing him into premier league games. 

They'll benefit from a year playing more regularly and who knows, they may bounce back up.

Isn't all that what was said about Idah two full years ago the last time they went down though   ?

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Probably get more chances in the championship next year. A bit of a baptism of fire throwing him into premier league games. 

They'll benefit from a year playing more regularly and who knows, they may bounce back up.

Isn't all that what was said about Idah two full years ago the last time they went down though   ?

yeah when he was the ripe old age of 19.

he has played a lot of senior football since at international and club level. more game time in the championship will do him the world of good.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

yeah when he was the ripe old age of 19.

he has played a lot of senior football since at international and club level. more game time in the championship will do him the world of good.

New manager in there as well, whom would appear to view Idah as a player that fits into his system.  

Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:45pm
Doesn't matter what age he was.

The positive spin effort here on our players getting relegated is laughable. 
It wasn't good news two years ago for Idah & its not good today. It means our guys are at poor club sides, whatever way you try to dress it up.

We lost Long  / Collins  / Costelloe / Idah / Omobamidele and Springett from the top division today & we lost Robinson  /  O'Shea  /  Stevens & Egan this day last year, none of them are back up or any better for it.

We need these guys kicking on in the Premier Division because its international football we're talking about, and players who can impact matches at that level we need to develop.

Next season we'll have Doherty & Travers. Only. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing is talking out their green tinted hole

Posted By: Lojak18
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:50pm
we are seriously lacking in players in top leagues next year alright, you would hope that some of the young lads will have good years and get promoted or a move to a top league.

Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:51pm

It wasn't good news two years ago for Idah & its not good today. It means our guys are at poor club sides, whatever way you try to dress it up.

We lost Long  / Collins  / Costelloe / Idah / Omobamidele and Springett from the top division today & we lost Robinson  /  O'Shea  /  Stevens & Egan this day last year, none of them are back up or any better for it.

We need these guys kicking on in the Premier Division because its international football we're talking about, and players who can impact matches at that level we need to develop.

Next season we'll have Doherty & Travers. Only. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing is talking out their green tinted hole

Its no harm for younger lads who are struggling to break into the side though. Collins, O'Shea and Omobamidele for example all made the break through for their clubs the season after they were relegated and playing in the Championship.

So many players are Premier League players by name only and thats no use to anyone.

Look at how Obamfemi and Dunne are doing since they dropped to the Championship this season having had so few chances previously in the Premier League with their former clubs.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:51pm

Yes but Idah end up getting injured, twice, for a big of that 20/21 season in the Championship. Only playing 325 minutes of football that season because of his injuries and trying to regain match fitnees after them. Not the best example to use really.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:33pm
I’m less concerned about lads playing for the likes of Burnley or Norwich in the PL than maybe I was a year or two ago. The reality is, if like Norwich you’re getting pasted regularly that is not necessarily of benefit to anybody. Ogbene is playing League 1, and doesn’t look out of place in the international setup. Robinson became prolific at international level after relegation. Travers may not have got his shot without Bournemouth’s failure in 2021 to return to the PL. Jason Knight will has learned his trade in a relegation scrap in the championship. Cullen is playing outside of the UK, and in a League that wouldn’t be Top 5. As Bandwagon mentions, Obafemi has turned a corner since he left the PL.

We can assume that sharing a pitch for an afternoon with KDB or Salah or Ronaldo might be an excellent learning experience. But if the team you are playing with is no good, then it makes no difference as you never lay a glove on them. Perhaps it is time to accept that unless you are playing in the upper reaches of the PL regularly then it doesn’t make much of a difference if you are playing there insofar as it effects your international form.

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Its no harm for younger lads who are struggling to break into the side though. Collins, O'Shea and Omobamidele for example all made the break through for their clubs the season after they were relegated and playing in the Championship.

So many players are Premier League players by name only and thats no use to anyone.

Look at how Obamfemi and Dunne are doing since they dropped to the Championship this season having had so few chances previously in the Premier League with their former clubs.

I think Obafemi just copped himself on in the same way Connolly hasn't. Plus the Championship is a level down, lets not airbrush that out of the picture, what Dunne faces playing for QPR & what is expected of him ( and the others ) in that division is not ideal preparation for a match V a first or second seed to get to a finals with Ireland  ( never mind being at an actual finals  )   

Everyone is on about green shoots, brighter future, but lets face it the collective trajectory of our young players remains downward, or certainly outside the elite.  

Have we given up on Irish talent getting in Premier club sides, staying in, doing well & even moving upwards from there  ?  It seems like we have & are putting the brightside of more playing time a division down on things. 

Jesus I even remember reading a few months back that Derby going into L1 would be good for Watson & Cashin and therefore good for Ireland. FFS like

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Perhaps it is time to accept that unless you are playing in the upper reaches of the PL regularly then it doesn’t make much of a difference if you are playing there insofar as it effects your international form.

Isn't that just quitting on getting back to where we were though  ? 
We have to produce guys who are at that level, again, because two or three of those are the difference between qualifying and not, in group matches v elite sides. 

Its two or three, in some cases, years now since Collins / O'Shea  / Omobamidele  / Obamfemi  / Parrott  / Connolly  / Molumby  / Knight / Idah began to emerge and not one has established themselves in the top division, never mind kicked on up a level to a club playing Europa League even. 

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:15am

Perhaps it is time to accept that unless you are playing in the upper reaches of the PL regularly then it doesn’t make much of a difference if you are playing there insofar as it effects your international form.

We have to produce guys who are at that level, again, because two or three of those are the difference between qualifying and not, in group matches v elite sides. 

Its two or three, in some cases, years now since Collins / O'Shea  / Omobamidele  / Obamfemi  / Parrott  / Connolly  / Molumby  / Knight / Idah began to emerge and not one has established themselves in the top division, never mind kicked on up a level to a club playing Europa League even. 

You've a list of fellas between 19-22. I think people forget how young they are because of how early they broke through to the the national team.

There's very few teenagers playing regularly at those top levels anymore. Chelsea didn't give a single PL minute to a teenager this season. If in three years time they're all still at the same level you might have a point, but for now it's too early imo.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:17am
But some of those lads are still very young, and in some cases Under 20. Some were also a product of fan hype during Kenny’s reign as Under 21 manager, hence the demands to put them in the team, no matter the outcome. 

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:51am

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Yes but Idah end up getting injured, twice, for a big of that 20/21 season in the Championship. Only playing 325 minutes of football that season because of his injuries and trying to regain match fitnees after them. Not the best example to use really.

Just on that, is idahs injury record an issue? He's missed the majority of the last two seasons with long term injuries. 

His injuries have hampered his development a bit. He would have got a lot more minutes in the Championship if it wasn't for those two injuries. 3 goals and 1 assist in 325 minutes wasn't a bad ratio.
Then picking up his injury last season in February after starting to get a proper run and getting a few starts in the first team.
Getting knee injuries at his young age in never good. He first injury spell in the 20/21 season was a knee injury, Im not a 100% sure what his injury was for his second injury spell. His injury last February was a knee injury again with an operation and a five month lay off expected. Im not sure if it is the same knee causing the issue or not.
Hopefully he might be recovered for pre-season and be able to kick on.
We will find out more next season if his injuries are still an issue but hopefully not.

Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:11am

Just on that, is idahs injury record an issue? He's missed the majority of the last two seasons with long term injuries. 

His injuries have hampered his development a bit. He would have got a lot more minutes in the Championship if it wasn't for those two injuries. 3 goals and 1 assist in 325 minutes wasn't a bad ratio.
Then picking up his injury last season in February after starting to get a proper run and getting a few starts in the first team.
Getting knee injuries at his young age in never good. He first injury spell in the 20/21 season was a knee injury, Im not a 100% sure what his injury was for his second injury spell. His injury last February was a knee injury again with an operation and a five month lay off expected. Im not sure if it is the same knee causing the issue or not.
Hopefully he might be recovered for pre-season and be able to kick on.
We will find out more next season if his injuries are still an issue but hopefully not.

Last season he was out due to needing surgery for a hernia.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:29am

You've a list of fellas between 19-22. I think people forget how young they are because of how early they broke through to the the national team.

There's very few teenagers playing regularly at those top levels anymore. Chelsea didn't give a single PL minute to a teenager this season. If in three years time they're all still at the same level you might have a point, but for now it's too early imo.

You saved me making the same point. It's almost as if these lads don't watch football. Collins the youngest CB back getting regular PL minutes by a mile this season. Omobamidele would have been the youngest had he been fit. Kelleher the 2nd youngest Keeper to get PL minutes this season.

Our issue is no player between the ages of 24-28 played PL football this season for us. That missing generation of players and we are right in the heart of the younger lads breaking through and learning their trade while the older lads are pushing on.

Omobamidele Idah and Obafemi have had injury issues too. The first two would have gotten regular minutes at thier young ages. Williams and Gilmour the other teenagers at Norwich that got them but even both those lads were dropped to the bench in the finish. Lads on the books of "big clubs" that didn't disgrace themselves at said big clubs either. Gilmour is touted as Scotland's best prospect for a few generations don't forget. Tzolis was touted to be a star in Greece before his move to Norwich and he's found it impossible the step up. 

It's only going to get harder for our young lads to break through in England and it goes for young lads from everywhere else too. Again Idah and Omobamidele haven't been helped by injuries they would have made fantastic strides this season playing regularly if they stayed fit.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:00pm
Starts for Norwich this eve vs Bournemouth 

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:27pm

Seems to be playing left back... is that his normal position 

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Seems to be playing left back... is that his normal position 

Usually a winger I think.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 5:30pm
seems he didnt play very much on loan at derby. wonder if he will go on loan again or stay at norwich

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 8:55pm
got 20 mins for norwich today in their 4-4 draw with southampton, got booked for kicking the ball away cant find anything else on how he played

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 12:04pm
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/being-irish-has-always-been-drilled-into-me-london-born-tony-springett-hoping-to-make-big-impact-for-u-21s/a1045571499.html

Nice interview here with Springett. Very good insight into his family background. His mum is from Dún Laoghaire and moved to London at a young age. However he doesn't have much contact with his Dad's English family. Seems very proud to be Irish Clap

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net