Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dara Costelloe
Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Subject: Dara Costelloe
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 6:58pm
On the bench for Burnley this evening.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Replies:
Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 7:56pm
was gufc underage and made his loi debut versus Finn Harps in 2018.Very fast and skilfull has moved up front for the U23’s in the last few months scoring a lot of goals ,

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 8:21pm
Hopefully he sees some minutes in the remaining games, be good to see a Limerick lad make his PL debut. Good chance he might if Jackson remains in charge.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 12:12pm
Ex Galway United and now playing for the Clarets and Irish to boot , yep ticks all my boxes . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 1:51pm
On the bench again. Are Burnley missing anyone our is Jackson just rewarding someone that's played good for him with the U23s.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 2:56pm
Cornet is out, but he's a winger and he started the last game, Costello was on the bench there too. Seems he's getting a reward. Maybe looking to prepare him for if they do go down, might see a good amount of gametime in the Championship.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:08pm
Burnley are running out of players at the moment as we have six starters out injured .
That's one reason we had 2 unders 23 players on the bench today 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 2:11pm
New contract.

https://www.the42.ie/dara-costelloe-burnley-new-deal-5796904-Jun2022/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/dara-costelloe-burnley-new-deal-5796904-Jun2022/

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 2:46pm
Hopefully might get some minutes in the Championship this season as a squad player, Burnley getting relegated might help him a bit.

Wasn't selected in Crawford's Under 20 squad recently even though he's from the 2002 group, he seems like one that could be looked at for the next Under 21 campaign.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:03pm
Starts the season opener.

I don't think this was expected?

Posted By: Bandwagon
Starts the season opener for Burnley vs Huddersfield

Big night for Costelloe as he starts Burnley's opening game of the season in the Championship. Apparently wasn't even given a squad number in the announcement yesterday and then starts tonight. 

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:19pm
With McNeil and Cornet going/gone, Gudmundsson injured, there is a big lack of wingers in the Burnley squad so Costello gets his chance to see what he can do. I hope he does well and tries to take his change.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:42pm
Great moment for the lad.

Talk is he'll be a striker, rather than a winger, where he was moved to last year in their U23s and was scoring goals.

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:50pm
First I’ve heard of his name but I’m chuffed for him. 

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:58pm
Dara was on the bench for the last 5 games. Great player with a tremendous attitude. Delighted for him 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:09pm
Does Dara actually pronounce his surname the same way as Elvis or are we going to have to put up with another 15 years of the Kin-Sella stuff with every English commentator pronouncing his name wrong?

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:26pm
Missed a sitter but is playing well for such a young lad. 

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:29pm
Didn't know whether to kick it or head it.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:32pm
Whos this guy why haven't i heard of him?

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:34pm
Have been impressed by him!

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Whos this guy why haven't i heard of him?

Young winger, found himself on the bench for Burnley at the business end of last season. Highly rated and direct. 

Been really impressed with his so far, looks tidy on the ball too 

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:38pm
Doesn’t look out of place at all - looks to have time on the ball even in tight spaces which is always a good sign. Burnley playing some nice stuff with Cullen the heartbeat.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Have been impressed by him!

Spoke too soon LOL

In fairness to him apart from finishing he has been really good.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:42pm
Needs to work on his finishing, kompany will have him doing drills after that miss 

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:43pm
Dara played underage with gufc and made his league debut ay 15 .

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:45pm
Definitely looks physically ready for the Championship anyway. Looks comfortable on the ball too, a few decent crosses, but should have put away at least one of the two chances that fell to him.

Very decent first 45 for him all the same.

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:45pm
Apart from missing two handy chances he's been very good. Nice to have a player come from nowhere, has he even been involved with any underage squads ?

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:46pm
Why do English commentators announce a name like Costello the way they do .......there's no pronounced E in the name he's not Italian .....they do tend to butcher Irish names

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:50pm
I saw your face when the commentator asked me what I thought of Hamlet and I said I preferred Costello

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:11pm
How are you supposed to pronounce it? I've never been acquainted with a Costello/Costelloe before. I always assumed it was pronounced Cost-ello like Elvis Costello and not Cost-illo.

They do mispronounce Irish surnames as a matter of course. I'm surprised they haven't found creative ways to do it with names like Kelly, Doyle and Lynch.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:30pm
Out west anyway we'd pronounce it Costello, not Cos-Tello like the commentator is (similar to Kinsella, not Kin-Sella).

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:33pm
Worst one for me is how they pronounce Cahill. Anyway good debut pity he didn't get a goal. Should deffo be in with the 21s after that . Very phisical and comfortable on the ball. Big future.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:38pm
Must watch out for him from now on. Burnley's main sponsor is Classic Football Shirts i see. A site ive used many a time for shirts. Always found them brilliant. I assume to sponsor a team even in the Championship you would need some serious spondoolicks. They must have it though.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:38pm
Even the pronunciation of Dara was horrendous when he was going off, sounded like he saying "The Ra".

Good debut anyway, held his own out there. Neat and tidy player on the ball, decent crosser, finishing / decision making in the final 3rd needs improving but that will come with game time. Impressive for a 19 year old making his debut.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:46pm
Did they ever correct their pronunciation of Conor Hourihane's surname after he explained how to say it in a video the club put together the summer Villa were promoted?

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:52pm
Very good debut for Costelloe. The goals will come. This looks like a quality team.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Did they ever correct their pronunciation of Conor Hourihane's surname after he explained how to say it in a video the club put together the summer Villa were promoted?

No. The thing is when it's a player from a non-English speaking country they make every effort to get it right. But when it's us they just impose their own pronunciations and don't really give a f**k.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 10:58pm
https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63312%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63312

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:37pm

How are you supposed to pronounce it? I've never been acquainted with a Costello/Costelloe before. I always assumed it was pronounced Cost-ello like Elvis Costello and not Cost-illo.

They do mispronounce Irish surnames as a matter of course. I'm surprised they haven't found creative ways to do it with names like Kelly, Doyle and Lynch.

Just pronounce it as it's spelt .....no need to shout Tello at us

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:49pm

Castella. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I saw your face when the commentator asked me what I thought of Hamlet and I said I preferred Costello

Way too niche ffs LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:18am
Here's an interview with Dara Costelloe, and his accent is very influenced by English accents.
Should we demand to see his birth certificate? DNA test? Too early for that?

https://ms-my.facebook.com/burnleyofficial/videos/dara-costelloe-interview/964341297567050/" rel="nofollow - https://ms-my.facebook.com/burnleyofficial/videos/dara-costelloe-interview/964341297567050/

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:54am
didnt he also attend an English training camp?

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:10am
Sounds Irish to me. Who cares Confused

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

didnt he also attend an English training camp?

England's underage team were training at Burnley and played their underage team.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 11:19am
he’s from Limerick lads. He’s really filled out and will only get better. Josh Cullen praised him after the game .  https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0730/1313084-costelloe-earns-cullen-praise-after-burnley-debut/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0730/1313084-costelloe-earns-cullen-praise-after-burnley-debut/

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Here's an interview with Dara Costelloe, and his accent is very influenced by English accents.

https://ms-my.facebook.com/burnleyofficial/videos/dara-costelloe-interview/964341297567050/" rel="nofollow - https://ms-my.facebook.com/burnleyofficial/videos/dara-costelloe-interview/964341297567050/

Strange comment. He's definitely Irish going by that interview. 

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:19pm

Good to see you're changing your tune HH!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 4:43pm

Good to see you're changing your tune HH!

I call it as I see it. Case for case basis, like anything!

Posted By: KingKenny
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 12:19am

Barely any English influence there at all. That's not out of place at all for a Limerick accent

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:32am
Time to forget about accents. Ireland’s star player at the moment, Josh Cullen, is a granny ruler like his former West Ham colleagues Rice and Noble. Not much trace of a Leitrim accent there but thankfully he stuck with Ireland so who cares. Apart from that fellow Southgate, maybe.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Time to forget about accents. Ireland’s star player at the moment, Josh Cullen, is a granny ruler like his former West Ham colleagues Rice and Noble. Not much trace of a Leitrim accent there but thankfully he stuck with Ireland so who cares. Apart from that fellow Southgate, maybe.

There was no interest from England nor would there be now. There would be about thirty players ahead of him if he had held out for them.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:22am
A castella, a Malibu reef.

Think hard guvnor

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:07am

There was no interest from England nor would there be now. There would be about thirty players ahead of him if he had held out for them.

I would never in my wildest dreams have imagined who would take the bait on GC's post. Never. 

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I would never in my wildest dreams have imagined who would take the bait on GC's post. Never. 

He wasn't baiting anybody. It was a sincere comment and I responded to it in kind.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:49am
It was a sincere bait.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:28am

It was a sincere bait.

Hook. Line. Sinker. 

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:35am
Clown

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:34pm
Starts again at home to Luton. 

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:36pm
18 starters in the 8 3pm kick offs in the Championship. At least one in every game. I think two minimum in all bar Bristol City (Sykes) and Sunderland. 

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:37pm
Was very good today , i have to say Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:50pm
What position does he play for Burnley 

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Was very good today , i have to say Thumbs Up
good news - could be a great season for the lad.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What position does he play for Burnley 

Believe it or not he's a forward. I'm as shocked as anyone. I was hoping for another centre back.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 10:01pm

His Wikipedia said that 
Without wishing to discredit him, how does a forward get a move to England when he plays 16 games and scores 0 goals at Galway Utd 

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 10:06pm

His Wikipedia said that 
Without wishing to discredit him, how does a forward get a move to England when he plays 16 games and scores 0 goals at Galway Utd 

Played on the right wing last week when I watched him.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

His Wikipedia said that 

Played on the right wing last week when I watched him.

Hes predominately a RW but was mostly played as a CF last season with the u23s.

What I've seen of him and Burnley so far this season they look to be playing 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 in games and he drifts between the 2 positions.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 10:56pm
Having a 19 year old break into a championship first team is such fantastic news. I think we'll see Springett break through this season too with Norwich. 

It's a super competitive league and neither of these lads have even played for our u21s.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 12:16am
And sure enough all the English tv commentators mispronounce his name cosTELLo.

-------------

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:56am

And sure enough all the English tv commentators mispronounce his name cosTELLo.

Let's not stress over it. 

Posted By: turbo10
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:33am

His Wikipedia said that 
As other other have said he played on the wing for galway, plus he was only 15 /16 when he was playing there. He is galways youngest ever loi player.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:27pm
Yer need to see the lad play he is very good cuts in or out on the wing , scored lots of goals in the under 23s last season and he is a big lad lad also .
Like i say was shocked to see him start last week but he will get better just yo see . 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:13pm
he’s bulked up so much was a right winger with gufc and when he signed he filled that position with the 23’s . Moved up front last year and scored goals for fun when he did.

Dara has a great attitude and is one hell of a player who made the bench in the pl last season and has rightfully started this season. I rxpect him to get even better.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 11:31pm
Crawford was speaking of Costelloe as being one for the next U21s campaign, but if the lad continues to get regular gametime over the next 4-6 weeks, then he has to be in the squad for the play-offs. Maybe even starting.

Playing regularly in the Championship he'd be well ahead of the likes of Wright, O'Neill, Burns, Oko-flex, Ferguson, etc

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Crawford was speaking of Costelloe as being one for the next U21s campaign, but if the lad continues to get regular gametime over the next 4-6 weeks, then he has to be in the squad for the play-offs. Maybe even starting.

Playing regularly in the Championship he'd be well ahead of the likes of Wright, O'Neill, Burns, Oko-flex, Ferguson, etc

Totally agree with that. Championship level football is miles ahead of u21s football and is one of the best leagues in Europe. 

If he's playing mens football regularly in the championship he should be starting in thr u21s with a view to the seniors. 

The fact that some of our senior players have been playing league 1 would underline that.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Fully agree but can't see JC agreeing.
Seems loyal to lads who have played for him, and I don't see much change in the next squad compared to the last.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:09am
I think if he continues to play regularly in the Championship between now and the squad announcement he'd have to be in the squad - whether he would actually start him in the playoffs is another thing, but his physicality should be an advantage at that level.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:08am
I love to see these good players come out of nowhere stories. We seen his name on the bench for Burnley at the tail end of last season, a few Burnley fans and Galway football heads probably knew a bit more about him. But for the rest of us it is a surprise.
He has hasn't been involved in any of the ROI youth squads so far so he went under the radar a bit.

I think if he keeps starting or making appearances and playing well for Burnley until mid September he should be in the squad at least. 
Crawford is very loyal to the core of his squad, but it the same time it is the U-21s, there is a very small, limited time scale to play and look at players at this age and level, with only 5 windows in a year that squads are picked. I think there should always be space in the squad for a couple of wild cards every window, for players who are showing form and performing regularly at a high level. 

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think if he continues to play regularly in the Championship between now and the squad announcement he'd have to be in the squad - whether he would actually start him in the playoffs is another thing, but his physicality should be an advantage at that level.

Can see him in the squad, and wouldn't be surprised if he did get a start. Mipo was thrown straight in starting away to Sweden, over Kayode, in a must win game after never been in squad before.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:23am
Springett at Norwich might be the next player to come out of nowhere. (So to speak) 

Finding himself on the bench at the tail end of last season .

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I love to see these good players come out of nowhere stories. We seen his name on the bench for Burnley at the tail end of last season, a few Burnley fans and Galway football heads probably knew a bit more about him. But for the rest of us it is a surprise.
He has hasn't been involved in any of the ROI youth squads so far so he went under the radar a bit.

I think if he keeps starting or making appearances and playing well for Burnley until mid September he should be in the squad at least. 
Crawford is very loyal to the core of his squad, but it the same time it is the U-21s, there is a very small, limited time scale to play and look at players at this age and level, with only 5 windows in a year that squads are picked. I think there should always be space in the squad for a couple of wild cards every window, for players who are showing form and performing regularly at a high level. 

Should've pretended to be English with an Irish granny to expedite the process.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:10pm
One winger in the door and they're about to sign another from Stuttgart.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:15pm
Starts again tonight.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:17pm

One winger in the door and they're about to sign another from Stuttgart.

Still... costelloe is in a good position to make it difficult for them with some good performances. 

For a 19 year old to be starting championship games is incredible. 

He'll get better in the next couple of seasons I would think 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:39pm
10 out of 10 for the Sky commentator's pronunciation of Costelloe tonight anyway, someone must have let him know.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:46pm
New signings or not, I'd say costelloe is far from their worst player in that starting line up. 

Bastien and Maatsen have been absolutely brutal this first half.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:05pm
Doesn't make it back out for the second half, have to say he was fairly ineffective in the 45 minutes he played. 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:07pm
Yea he offered nothing in that first half! 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:11pm
Benson was as ineffective if not more. Not surprised Cork was brought but pity it was for Costello and not Benson.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm
The aul half time hook, rite of passage for any young lad coming through 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:13pm
McNally coming on at the end hopefully means he's ahead of Egan-Riley in the pecking order.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:22pm
Burnley spending another £5m on a winger when they've got Ashely Barnes starting up front.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:30pm

McNally coming on at the end hopefully means he's ahead of Egan-Riley in the pecking order.

He seems to be ahead of him for the "throw a big lad on up front in the last minute" role anyway.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:40pm
Bumped to the bench today. Hopefully he gets a run off the bench 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:51pm
They've made a few attacking changes with Benson, who was equally poor, and Barnes both dropping out also.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:04pm
To be expected really, with Rodriguez coming back from injury. Twine is yet to come back too.

Hopefully will still get a decent amount of minutes across the season.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 2:09pm
Not in the squad today, can hopefully get himself back on the bench soon enough (assuming he hasn’t got a knock)

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Not in the squad today, can hopefully get himself back on the bench soon enough (assuming he hasn’t got a knock)

No Luke McNally on the bench either.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 6:19pm
Burnley have signed another winger today. Costelloe getting pushed even further down the pecking order it seems. Into Kevin Long territory now.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net