URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58211
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Bank Holiday
Posted By: MayoMark
Subject: New Bank Holiday
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 4:15pm
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0111/1273052-bank-holiday/

Be nice to have a long, long weekend in March!

Nice to have an extra bank holiday too going forward, but not too excited about the proposal. Don't think it should have had any religious connections to be honest but mainly don't think it should have been at such a miserable time of year!

Either way, extra day off Clap

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 4:32pm
The new public holiday has nothing to do with religion. Every day of the year has one or more Saints attributed to it. 1st of February just so happens to be St Brigids day.

Anyway I'm all for more public holidays Big smile

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:16pm
Can’t see how this new Bank holiday will recognise frontline workers as most of them will have to work the bank holiday Hospital staff, Supermarket workers etc. Certainly no benefits for them it’s just another day off for the people who stayed at home during the pandemic.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Can’t see how this new Bank holiday will recognise frontline workers as most of them will have to work the bank holiday Hospital staff, Supermarket workers etc. Certainly no benefits for them it’s just another day off for the people who stayed at home during the pandemic.

But great news for those in big jobs like us teachersClap

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

But great news for those in big jobs like us teachersClap
i wouldn’t single out teachers as they had to go into work during the pandemic in very difficult circumstances and they do a very hard job at best of times. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm

You forgot to edit your comment! 

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:38pm

I tend to agree all Frontline/ Essential workers should Just be given an Extra days paid holiday next year to be taken when they wish to reward them.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:56pm
I worked throughout the Pandemic also so delighted to get an extra days pay and if I end up being rosterd in on the new BH an extra days leave on top of the double time. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:12pm
5th or 6th time they've said this, hopefully they follow through this time.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:13pm
I got a 'Wellness day' whereby you take a day off to look after yourself.

I took mine after the last Ireland game whereby I spent the day rolling around the sack in an absolute heap 

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I got a 'Wellness day' whereby you take a day off to look after yourself.

I took mine after the last Ireland game whereby I spent the day rolling around the sack in an absolute heap 

The system clearly works LOL

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:56pm
All fire houses/stations are closed for the new bank holiday.

The firemen Clap

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Nice to have an extra bank holiday too going forward, but not too excited about the proposal. Don't think it should have had any religious connections to be honest but mainly don't think it should have been at such a miserable time of year!

Pain in the hole that it will rotate day each year. Same with Paddy's Day. It was brilliant when they moved it to June for a one off due to foot and mouth years ago. 

A poxy Tuesday/Wednesday in March some years Dead

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm
Exactly

Can't see why it can't be a Monday in July 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:27pm
Would prefer a double holiday in March.

No sense in a rotating day either. Fix it for a Monday if it needs to be February. 

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

All fire houses/stations are closed for the new bank holiday.

The firemen Clap
LOL

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:45pm

Pain in the hole that it will rotate day each year. Same with Paddy's Day. It was brilliant when they moved it to June for a one off due to foot and mouth years ago. 

It's just the closest Monday to the day, think it's a good time for it, a long stretch between New year and Paddy's 

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It's just the closest Monday to the day, think it's a good time for it, a long stretch between New year and Paddy's 

That's grand if it is indeed the case. Doubt they even know themselves. Winging it. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 3:59am
Would prefer if new bank holidays were on Fridays. f**k Mondays

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I worked throughout the Pandemic also so delighted to get an extra days pay and if I end up being rosterd in on the new BH an extra days leave on top of the double time. 

Same here. I've been in the office since day one as a designated essential worked so welcome any additional day off. Like HB, we were all given an extra days leave last year too.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 10:57am
I've taken the first Monday of Feb off every year. It coincides with the Sunday of the SuperBowl so lets me stay up late that night, and it's a nice 4 day week to break up a bleak time of year. Wake up late, out for lunch, feet up on the couch. Great date for it

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I've taken the first Monday of Feb off every year. It coincides with the Sunday of the SuperBowl so lets me stay up late that night, and it's a nice 4 day week to break up a bleak time of year. Wake up late, out for lunch, feet up on the couch. Great date for it
The move to an 18 week season hasn't really suited you so!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Same here. I've been in the office since day one as a designated essential worked so welcome any additional day off. Like HB, we were all given an extra days leave last year too.
We didn’t get an official extra days leave but during the first lockdown, in order to keep numbers in the place to a minimum, we were all paid to stay at home on certain days. I got about 15 days sofa pay around that time so cant really complain. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The move to an 18 week season hasn't really suited you so!
Clashes with f**king Valentines weekend now too Angry

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 2:37pm
Would much prefer a new BH in July or Sept. Far longer days, decent weather and would be good to get away for a weekend. If Sept it could fall on the International break too which would be a good long weekend esp for an away.

Feb is a sh*te month for it, still dark early in the evening, baltic miserable weather. Financially just getting back on track after Xmas before Valentines hits. Shortest month of the year too so it goes by that bit quicker anyway.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:48am
Great news about the new bank holiday from next year and extra day they are giving this year on the Friday after Paddy's day.

Regarding Feb Bank Holiday moving forward, does anyone know if it will be the 1st of Feb every year or would be the first Monday? It sounds like it will he 1st of Feb each year meaning it might fall in midweek some years. 

Would much prefer if it was the first Monday so we are guaranteed a long weekend 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Great news about the new bank holiday from next year and extra day they are giving this year on the Friday after Paddy's day.

Regarding Feb Bank Holiday moving forward, does anyone know if it will be the 1st of Feb every year or would be the first Monday? It sounds like it will he 1st of Feb each year meaning it might fall in midweek some years. 

Would much prefer if it was the first Monday so we are guaranteed a long weekend 

Yeah, would prefer it to be first Monday of February instead of the 1st of Feb. 

One thing which which always annoys me about St. Patrick's day is the if it falls midweek 

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm
I thought I heard them saying it would be the first Monday in February.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
it will be the first Monday in February, unless the 1st February falls on a Friday, in which case it will be the Friday.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:20pm
wtf in February?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

wtf in February?

St Brigid's Day so to celebrate Mná na hÉireann. There's been lobbying to have it on that day for the last few years. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

it will be the first Monday in February, unless the 1st February falls on a Friday, in which case it will be the Friday.

That is sensible! Happy with that. Long weekend in the canaries / city break to end the Janaury blues will be the way forward 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:45pm

Source? Saw a TD say it will be every Feb 1sr

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b926b-government-agrees-covid-recognition-payment-and-new-public-holiday/" rel="nofollow - https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b926b-government-agrees-covid-recognition-payment-and-new-public-holiday/

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

wtf in February?

St Brigid's Day so to celebrate Mná na hÉireann. There's been lobbying to have it on that day for the last few years. 

Enjoy the pissing rain / drizzle 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b926b-government-agrees-covid-recognition-payment-and-new-public-holiday/" rel="nofollow - https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b926b-government-agrees-covid-recognition-payment-and-new-public-holiday/
lovely 👍

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:07pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

wtf in February?

Enjoy the pissing rain / drizzle 
  Suck it up bitch , should move to Dundalk better holidays  Wink

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:36pm
Moanyrep

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:40pm
can I interest you in some sun cream ? 

Thought not 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:01am

Thought not 
I’ll be back to you and see what you have when I book my summer holiday. In the meantime, Ill look forward to my double St. Patricks Day Bank Hol and of course the two extra days pay associated with thatClap 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:39am

Thought not 
I’ll be back to you and see what you have when I book my summer holiday. In the meantime, Ill look forward to my double St. Patricks Day Bank Hol and of course the two extra days pay associated with thatClap 

Two days off in July, up the Protestants Clap 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Thought not 

Yep Bren the plastic Prod Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Thought not 

Glorious Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net