Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58189
Printed Date: 26 Feb 2024 at 2:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jake O'Brien
Posted By: You Tell Me
Subject: Jake O'Brien
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:36pm
Has gone on loan to Swindon for the rest of the season. First taste of English league football for him, hopefully he goes well.

Replies:
Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:41pm
I see the manager at Swindon didn't have (much of) a playing career but cut his teeth in coaching at Crystal Palace and was there a long time. I think that should be positive in terms of Palace trusting him with the player etc. 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:45pm
Think he will do well there, Swindon are in the play off positions. Jake was playing LOI comfortably a couple of years ago so this is only a small step up if even. Good coup for Swindon and for Jake.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:48am
Great move for the lad. He's obviously very well thought of at Palace, built a good reputation in a short space of time. Good club to head to as well, so fingers crossed this works out.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 10:34am
Swindon at home to Man City in the cup on Friday night, but it may come too soon for him. Would be some game to make your club debut in.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 11:36am
Had a quick look at their recent teamsheets, Odimayo and Hunt feature a lot as their centrebacks, but they do play 3 at the back sometimes, so hopefully O'Brien gets a look in at some stage

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:02pm
The poor lad - I wouldn't wish 5 months in Swindon on anybody.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
On the bench tonight v Man City. Might be no bad thing looking at city's starting xi 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:43pm
Gets his first outing tonight against Mansfield. Unfortunately seems to have been at fault for a Stephen Quinn goal three minutes in and is struggling with the physical side of the game so far.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Gets his first outing tonight against Mansfield. Unfortunately seems to have been at fault for a Stephen Quinn goal three minutes in and is struggling with the physical side of the game so far.

In a double whammy of bad news, the Quinn goal has now went down as a Maris goal.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
Tough night for him tonight but it does sound like he improved as the game went on and he started to get up to the pace of senior football. Hopefully they stick with him because he needs the experience at that level if he's going to develop.

Just shows again how utterly useless Under 23 football is terms of developing players for first team games.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

In a double whammy of bad news, the Quinn goal has now went down as a Maris goal.
His wife Stella will be delighted.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 10:37am
From the forums, sounds like Jake had a really tough first half but played well 2nd half and gave a great assist for the late goal they scored. Baptism of fire but that's ok. It shows the difference between doing ok at U23 football and then having to play senior mens football. It's a toally different level, time and time again we are seeing some of our lads struggle to make the step up, but hopefully Jake will learn a lot from last night. Fingers crossed he gets a decent run in the team.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 2:37pm
Getting a look in at preseason anyway.

Came on in the second half vs Millwall there and scored.

Adaramola also a second half sub.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:52am
Linked with a loan move to Barnsley today. Would be a decent move to a higher end League 1 team for him because he wasn't always a starter for Swindon in League 2 last season.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:20pm
Apparently is in Belgium to sign with a team called RWDM47.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:33pm
Playing in the second tier. Have Palace got some links with them or something.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:41pm
There's an ownership link it seems.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:52pm

Sounds like something you'd clean a keyhole with 

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Sounds like something you'd clean a keyhole with 

Or your hole

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 6:36pm
Confirmed as going on loan to the Belgian team. Wouldn't say it's a great move for O'Brien but it's particularly poor for Luke Plange who is going with him and was good in the English Championship last season.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 6:42pm
Yeah that sucks for Plange. Derby probably would have taken him back on loan given their situation and Rosenier being promoted to manager.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 2:01pm
It's gone under the radar but loan is going well for him so far. Team are joint top of the division as it stands! 

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:04pm
Seen him linked with Bristol City a couple of times now. Contract up at Palace next summer, a good season in the Championship could see him earn an extension or a permanent move.

Posted By: 84ccfc84
Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 2:15pm
not strong enough with the ball to be a PL player imo. championship would be great move for him 

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:22pm
Won the Belgian 2nd Division yesterday with RWD Molenbeek. Very successful loan spell for the lad, will be interesting to see what plans Palace have for him.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:20pm
Would love to see him have another loan spell with RWD in the top flight.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Would love to see him have another loan spell with RWD in the top flight.

Could well be an option, one of the Palace owners owns 80% of RWD, so I wouldnt rule it out. He has always looked a bit raw, so Belgian football should help him hone the technical side of his game.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 16 May 2023 at 11:57am
He has gone under the radar as has Garcia McNulty in the Erste Divisie in Holland. Both have quietly had decent educational seasons.

See the links to Bristol City recently I would love to see him go back to Belgium again. I’m sure he could manufacture a move to one of the 5/6 decent teams in Belgium off the back of this season. 

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:57pm
Interesting one here. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41167633.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41167633.html

French side Troyes have had a £1.25m bid for O'Brien turned down. They have just been relegated to the second tier in France. Patrick Kisnorbo is the coach and they seem to have a share of young players taken from bigger clubs in Europe. Don't know much else about them .

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Can't say I thought he banged of top talent when he was playing for the 21st but he had some good attributes and a season abroad may have done him good. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 11:40pm
Looks like he could be off to Lyon

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/former-ireland-u-21-star-jake-obrien-set-to-sign-with-french-giants-lyon/a418692969.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/former-ireland-u-21-star-jake-obrien-set-to-sign-with-french-giants-lyon/a418692969.html

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Looks like he could be off to Lyon

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/former-ireland-u-21-star-jake-obrien-set-to-sign-with-french-giants-lyon/a418692969.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/former-ireland-u-21-star-jake-obrien-set-to-sign-with-french-giants-lyon/a418692969.html

It's reasons like this that UEFA really need to look at the multi club ownership models (but they won't). Cork City could get rightly screwed over here.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 5:42pm
Four year deal confirmed for Jake at Lyon.

https://www.ol.fr/fr/actualites/mercato-arrivee-de-jake-o-brien-a-l-ol-jusqu-au-30-juin-2027" rel="nofollow - https://www.ol.fr/fr/actualites/mercato-arrivee-de-jake-o-brien-a-l-ol-jusqu-au-30-juin-2027

Based on the translation they seem to be making it clear that they see him as a long term project rather than a signing for the coming season, but the length of the contract gives him great career security for a few years at a minimum.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 5:45pm
As You Tell Me alluded to I would expect him to go out on loan possibly to Molenbeek again and get a full season playing top flight football in Belgium. Would be a lovely next step for him. 

It’s a cracking move for the lad.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 9:12am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

As You Tell Me alluded to I would expect him to go out on loan possibly to Molenbeek again and get a full season playing top flight football in Belgium. Would be a lovely next step for him. 

It’s a cracking move for the lad.

Is it? Just feels like he is being moved from one part of the business to another. 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 9:24am
The four year deal part of it is. Gives him a real opportunity to establish himself. Whether it's at Crystal Palace or Lyon doesn't make a huge amount of difference, that's probably an accounting decision to exclude Cork from any future transfers as much as anything. Probably marginally easier for him to break through at Lyon I'd say, though that would change if Palace were relegated.

Posted By: turbo10
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 8:48pm

, that's probably an accounting decision to exclude Cork from any future transfers as much as anything. 
how so?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 9:07pm
Sell O'Brien within the ownership group now for a small amount and settle Cork's sell-on for under €100k. Then if they sell him outside the ownership group for a bigger fee in a few years time, instead of getting a big sell on cut then, Cork will get nothing.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 7:01pm
On the bench for Lyon tonight against Nice in Ligue 1. No Idea who the last Irish player to play in League 1 was, has there been anyone since Cascarino?

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 7:46pm

On the bench for Lyon tonight against Nice in Ligue 1. No Idea who the last Irish player to play in League 1 was, has there been anyone since Cascarino?

Dont think so, we've had a few younger lads attached to Ligue 1 clubs but never play for them. A couple have played Ligue 2 too but not Ligue 1 AFAIK.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 7:34pm
Bench again tonight for Lyon, away to Brest!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 11:10am
Starts for Lyon wow!

https://twitter.com/OL/status/1708422531651182980?t=unb4mKIeFPOYGd4-BugmBg&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/OL/status/1708422531651182980?t=unb4mKIeFPOYGd4-BugmBg&s=19

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 11:20am
Great opportunity for him. Must be impressing over there.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 12:04pm
Is he really 6ft 6?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 12:30pm
Great to see. We might be fielding 8 CB in the near future!

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 12:50pm
how’s he getting on ?

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

how’s he getting on ?

Having a decent game though he could have done better for the Reims goal. Lyon fans on Twitter are quite taken with him, admiringly calling him a "monster" and a "serial killer". Doesn't look at all out of place.

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

how’s he getting on ?

Having a decent game though he could have done better for the Reims goal. Lyon fans on Twitter are quite taken with him, admiringly calling him a "monster" and a "serial killer". Doesn't look at all out of place.

Ball-watching for the Reims second too. Lyon fans not holding it against him though. Quite a few on Twitter saying he was the sole positive for Lyon and the best of their players.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 1:57pm
Lyon really have gone to dogs compared to their not so distant glory days, bottom on Ligue 1!

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Realrover
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 3:40pm
Looks a bit stiff to me and his awareness for both goals was a bit suspect, didn't really take command. Only his first match though.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 1:11pm
Starts again for Lyon today vs Lorient

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Starts again for Lyon today vs Lorient

Lyon 3-1 up at half time

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 9:14pm
Finished 3 -3 in the end and O'Brien played another full 90.
Anybody see how did he play, I hope he wasn't at fault for any goals.
Lyon still in the relegation zone ATM, second from bottom

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 10:49pm
Impressive enough team, Lyon, all the same. 

O'Brien started with world-cup winner Taglifico one side of him, and world cup finalist Dejan Lovren on the other side.  A few other big names in that side. 

That's some company to be training with, never mind playing with.  

I wasn't overly impressed by O'Brien for the U21s, a glaring error at home to Italy I think comes to mind.  But he must have something about him. 

Sofascore remarks that Lyon didn't have any bad injuries or suspensions, so it seems he's earned his stripes there. 

Very interested to see this kid's development - another very promising centre-half to add to the list.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 7:44pm
Gets another Ligue 1 start tonight.

Posted By: ProudIrish
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:00pm
A relegation 6 pointer !!

-------------
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:10pm
They're 1-0 down already, at home to the only team below them in the league - Clermont. Hard to know what has happened there, they still have some really good players and while they're not title challenging material these days, things shouldn't be this bad. They have a dozen senior internationals in their squad, including players capped by France (Lacazette and Tolisso - a World Cup winner), Argentina (Tagliafico - another World Cup winner), Croatia (Lovren - a World Cup finalist), Portugal (Lopes - a Euros winner) and England (Maitland-Niles).

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:22pm
2 nil down now.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:24pm
O'Brien to blame for the second one according to Robin Bairner.

No idea what all this has to do with Eoin Mulligan lashing one in against the Dubs, but I'm here for it.LOL

https://twitter.com/Scipionista/status/1716167591352258759?t=X6nKCl5tuNkECGwinff50g&s=19

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 9:47pm
Finished 2-1 to Clermont. Lyon bottom of Ligue 1 after 9 games, only team without a win.

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 9:58pm
Ya it’s not looking good for Lyon .Jake did ok in the second half . Seems reasonably composed on the ball and his passing was decent . Never really troubled defensively in the second half   .  Booked near the end for a late challenge 

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Ya it’s not looking good for Lyon .Jake did ok in the second half . Seems reasonably composed on the ball and his passing was decent . Never really troubled defensively in the second half   .  Booked near the end for a late challenge 

The comments I came across from Lyon fans that mentioned O'Brien were all fairly positive the past few weeks despite the results and performances. 

They were along the of if the rest of the team gave as much as him they'd be in a better position and same when he done the press conference the other week they were saying he has more heart than the senior players.  As well as a few compliments saying hes looks a good future prospect.

So they seem to have a bit of time for him over there anyway.

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

The comments I came across from Lyon fans that mentioned O'Brien were all fairly positive the past few weeks despite the results and performances. 

They were along the of if the rest of the team gave as much as him they'd be in a better position and same when he done the press conference the other week they were saying he has more heart than the senior players.  As well as a few compliments saying hes looks a good future prospect.

So they seem to have a bit of time for him over there anyway.
That’s good to hear . 
It’s great that he’s getting a chance but they are going to need some results soon or this new manager ( in charge for last 4-5 games I think ? ) that has put Jake in the team might lose his job 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 3:30pm
Continuing to get first team starts in the midst of everything going on at Lyon at the moment. They really do need to start winning games though.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 5:31pm
Scored for Lyon. Currently 1-0 up with 20 mins to go.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 5:54pm
He must be pushing for an Ireland call up over Duffy 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Scored for Lyon. Currently 1-0 up with 20 mins to go.

Their first league win of the season.

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

McGuinness would be well ahead of him in terms of breaking into the Irish set up.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 6:24pm
Mad that with all the international big names Lyon have he's the one currently digging them out of the hole they're in. McGuinness has a bigger claim on a call up based on what he's done over the last 12 months, but if O'Brien stays in the Lyon team between now and March he'll have to be in the discussion.

McGuinness is 6 foot 5 and O'Brien is 6 foot 6 so when you add in Collins at 6 foot 4 we've no shortage of big men in defence anyway.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 7:25pm
O'Brien is now regularly playing at a higher level than McGuinness. Probably not alot in it either way. 

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 7:27pm
First Irish goalscorer in Ligue Un in 23 years
https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1723760618606358923" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1723760618606358923

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 7:31pm

Mad that with all the international big names Lyon have he's the one currently digging them out of the hole they're in. McGuinness has a bigger claim on a call up based on what he's done over the last 12 months, but if O'Brien stays in the Lyon team between now and March he'll have to be in the discussion.

McGuinness is 6 foot 5 and O'Brien is 6 foot 6 so when you add in Collins at 6 foot 4 we've no shortage of big men in defence anyway.

All we need is a competent, pragmatic and tactically clued in manager that can play to their strengths. Wink

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:03pm
“These fellas have regular starters in the Serie A and Ligue 1, along with a host of premier league starters and some of the best players in the championship, we have no right to beat them.” Is what we would say about our own option's if we were somehow drawn against ourselves.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

“These fellas have regular starters in the Serie A and Ligue 1, along with a host of premier league starters and some of the best players in the championship, we have no right to beat them.” Is what we would say about our own option's if we were somehow drawn against ourselves.

Throw in the Eredivise aswell now

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 10:15pm

The difference is, about 10 of the players you've referenced above are CB's!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 11:21pm
Exactly this, we really really need to get over our inferiority complex and excuse making if we are to become a truly successful sporting nation. 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 11:34pm

The difference is, about 10 of the players you've referenced above are CB's!

The team of Gary Breens is finally about to become a reality.

O'Brien
O'Shea McGuinness Egan Lenihan Scales
    McNally Collins Omobamidele Cashin      
                                Duffy

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 3:25am
LOL

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 10:35am
not a bad side at all

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 10:40am
Could probably fill the bench as well with players who regularly play CB with their clubs!!

Kevin Long and Jimmy Dunne are two that spring to mind that would in leaner times be squad players at least. 

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Could probably fill the bench as well with players who regularly play CB with their clubs!!

Kevin Long and Jimmy Dunne are two that spring to mind that would in leaner times be squad players at least. 

Dan Casey, Paudie O'Connor, Bosun Lawal, Corrie Ndaba, Conor Shaughnessy are others at SPL/L1 level.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Sean McLoughlin at Hull too and Ciaran Clark at Stoke too would probably still be getting games for us under a different manager or under different circumstances.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 12:26am
It's great to see the player production line showing no signs of slowing down after so long with no one coming through. Every few months now there's a couple of new names making themselves an option for the senior squad.

Duffy is definitely in decline but he will have a role in the squad for the foreseeable future, as one of the few experienced heads we have left.

But yeah, if O'Brien keeps getting starts he'll move ahead of McNally & McGuinness and will be in the next squad. Especially with Egan out long term, & Omobamidele not playing.

His spell in Belgium really kicked him on. As it did for Cullen. Hopefully Bagan & Healy get a similar bump.
Maybe we should be sending more players to Belgium...

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:17pm
Puts his side 1-0 up against Lens

Posted By: Son of Ferg
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:19pm
GOOOOAAAALLL

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:25pm
Seems to be Lyon's only goal threat right now.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Seems to be Lyon's only goal threat right now.

Only needs one more goal to go joint top scorer in the league.

Bar Lacazette (3) no other player has more than one goal in the league.

Posted By: Gaff
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:38pm
Scores again.

Madness to see a feen from Cork being the joint top scorer for Lyon in Ligue 1.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:02pm
They have the best striking prospect in the premier league, Lyon’s top scorer and some regulars in the Serie A, Holland and the PL.

We have no right to take four points off them…

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:42pm

They have the best striking prospect in the premier league, Lyon’s top scorer and some regulars in the Serie A, Holland and the PL.

We have no right to take four points off them…

Exactly. Too many people in Ireland have this defeatist, post-colonial inferiority complex mentality when it comes to Ireland or anything Irish. 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:49pm
Jeez hes had some impressive start in France. 3rd goal. Hopefully they get up the table a bit soon. Good to see we have players in other leagues these days.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:16pm
But the defence he is in shipped 3 goals. Is he playing well apart from scoring at the other end?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 2:02am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

But the defence he is in shipped 3 goals. Is he playing well apart from scoring at the other end?

That it. Goals from centre backs are a welcome bonus but it's more important how he's doing defensively.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 3:43am
His legs are gone.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 6:25am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was at fault for the second goal yesterday.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:55am
3-0 defeat by Marseille last night. He can score as many goals as he likes but it will never take away from the fact that Lyon team look horrendous

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 8:02am
He shouldn't have bothered breaking into the team at all.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He shouldn't have bothered breaking into the team at all.
He'd have had a genuine chance of first team ball at Palace this season. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:15am
Unlikely - Hodgson wouldn't be one to take a risk of a young, unproven centre back; especially when he has two good international centre backs at his disposal already.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:35am
He has been linked to a possible move to Everton recently.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 11:31am
It's been a bit of a baptism of fire but I think overall this season will provide O'Brien with great experience.

He's playing alongside some really experienced and well known players which will only stand to him in the years to come. 

When you look at the Lyon squad on paper, it's still relatively strong despite a lot of their key players being a bit older. E.g. Lopes, Lovren, Tolisso, Lacazette, Tagliafico - have all enjoyed very good careers at the top level.

There's also some highly-rated youngsters on the books too, with high transfer values:  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/olympique-lyon/startseite/verein/1041" rel="nofollow - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/olympique-lyon/startseite/verein/1041

They are currently six points from safety, but surely they have the personnel to get themselves out of this mess. 

In an ideal world O'Brien sticks around to help Lyon survive this season, and maybe gets another season or two out of it, before securing a nice 15-20 million euro transfer somewhere else in Europe, or back to England.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net