Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58061
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The crowd tonight
Posted By: nvidic
Subject: The crowd tonight
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:55pm
Tonight was brutal, lads in and out for pints, lads turning up 20 minds late not knowing where they were going, lads tumbling about hammered, people in Ronaldo scarfs, fight up by us, young lad after abusing a homeless lad there, called him out on it and he said but your man was Romanian.

Not an enjoyable night 

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:58pm
Big name teams always bring out the absolute arseholes. You won't see them lads until the next qualifiers for the Euros I'd say but only so long as we draw a big name team. Not a big enough name to draw them in the Nations League which is probably a blessing  

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: SeanC
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
defo you are right there. Hated the booing of ronaldo also, that’s the English way of fans - abuse the opposition. 

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

defo you are right there. Hated the booing of ronaldo also, that’s the English way of fans - abuse the opposition. 

That was really annoying. He usually thrives off that kind of behaviour.  

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Tonight was brutal, lads in and out for pints, lads turning up 20 minds late not knowing where they were going, lads tumbling about hammered, people in Ronaldo scarfs, fight up by us, young lad after abusing a homeless lad there, called him out on it and he said but your man was Romanian.

Not an enjoyable night 

There was a load of event junkies which is why the atmosphere was sh*te. The atmosphere was better the last two games with half the crowd their tonight.

I could not hate the pints at your seats more. 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:50pm
Seat nazis out in force in 114 too.

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:55pm
Was grand where I was. Didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. An enjoyable night.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:26am
It was terrible.  How people can’t make it in one time for 7.45 kick off is beyond me. And this bringing drink to you seat is a disaster. C*nts up every few minutes for a drink. Lad beside me came in 15 minutes late. First time he done was called Ronaldo a prick and gave the w**ker sign. 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:50am
grand where I was as well and the drinking at the seat I thought was nice addition. I was driving so just had one but was nice to just have a pint under your seat to sip away at in between plays

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:53am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

grand where I was as well and the drinking at the seat I thought was nice addition. I was driving so just had one but was nice to just have a pint under your seat to sip away at in between plays

One and you're over the limit if you're pulled over, no?

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:59am
Thought the atmosphere was great . Saw no hassle and didn’t see f**k all people in and out for pints as you suggestv

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:59am
Not unless you had no food and they pulled you over right after drinking it. 

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:15am
Was absolutely dreadful where I was. Upper 505,close to the entrance

People coming in 20 mins late, wandering around, blocking everyone's view. And constant streams of people getting drink. It was awful annoying to be fair 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:16am
Unfortunately didn’t get to go this evening but what’s the story with all the signs looking for jerseys? This is a new thing now is it? Atmosphere seemed good on tv but they mentioned young lads breaking out onto the pitch at the end, more lads looking for jerseys? Saw pictures online of lads in Ronaldo scarves as well - what the hell was that about? Reminded me of the League of Ireland v Man Utd game to open the Aviva back in 2010. I knew one of the lads playing for LOI and when we were shouting encouragement after he nailed Michael Owen with a tackle a fella in full Man Utd gear threatened to knock my head off for upsetting his two sons. The sons were about 15. 

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:39am
Watching it from abroad, atmosphere seemed electric. Fantastic lights display beforehand, Carnival de Paris afterwards. Good chanting, smoke, flares and the tifos and displays were on point. Seemed like a proper game and one I really miss living abroad. 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 6:54am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Unfortunately didn’t get to go this evening but what’s the story with all the signs looking for jerseys? This is a new thing now is it? Atmosphere seemed good on tv but they mentioned young lads breaking out onto the pitch at the end, more lads looking for jerseys? Saw pictures online of lads in Ronaldo scarves as well - what the hell was that about? Reminded me of the League of Ireland v Man Utd game to open the Aviva back in 2010. I knew one of the lads playing for LOI and when we were shouting encouragement after he nailed Michael Owen with a tackle a fella in full Man Utd gear threatened to knock my head off for upsetting his two sons. The sons were about 15. 
the last bitLOL

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Was grand where I was. Didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. An enjoyable night.

Id say we didn't go five minutes without someone getting up to talk by us, saw about half of the first 20 mins with people late 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:09am

I understand the sign thing if you are a little kid but seeing grown adults with the signs is very lame alright and does appear to be becoming very common now. Was pitch side at the Qatar game and there whole front row after the whistle was flooded with people with signs, mostly kids but some adults.

The little girl who ran on to get the Ronaldo jersey has set a precedent now for the future, f**k the signs LOL

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:13am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Id say we didn't go five minutes without someone getting up to talk by us, saw about half of the first 20 mins with people late 

We must have got lucky that we were in the middle of the row and had families on either side. It would be annoying alright if that was the case. 

While i had a good experience, it probably would be better to go back to the old way. 

I wonder did FAI get special approval "hey guys you know that big loan we owe you, well here's the thing, Covid restrictions we are currently not allowed drink in the concourse, any chance you can let us have this one off and let fans drink at the seats? This will help us to maximize our revenue and get you guys your money back sooner"

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:18am

I understand the sign thing if you are a little kid but seeing grown adults with the signs is very lame alright and does appear to be becoming very common now. Was pitch side at the Qatar game and there whole front row after the whistle was flooded with people with signs, mostly kids but some adults.

The little girl who ran on to get the Ronaldo jersey has set a precedent now for the future, f**k the signs LOL

Yet they're loads of stewards behind the goal. Yet 4 people ran onto the pitch from the sideline, corner of the pitch.  

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:25am
Bit of a sketchy vibe around the place coming out of the ground. I exited via Havelock, which is not normally where I am, and there were a good few lads absolutely mashed, pushing their way through the crowd, joshing with Portuguese fans in that aggressively friendly way. One of them lit a flare in the middle of the packed crowd, holding it up and chanting.

Where I was sitting there were a few families around me so the drink thing wasn't so much of an issue. But yeah, I'll be happier to return to my regular ST seat and hopefully they'll change the bar thing.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:27am
That’s our last home World Cup qualifier so it’ll be booze free for the UEFA run Euros & Nations league

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:38am

Not an enjoyable night 

Should come down to the Singing Section mate

Posted By: drogcam
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:51am
At the final whistle Ronaldo went to Bazunu to shake hands. It looked like Bazunu asked him for his shirt. He must be gutted the girl got it ahead of him LOL

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:56am

I'm a big fan of the seat pints. It's gets everyone out of the concourse early and fills out the ground. I had 2 pints in the stadium and was able to enjoy them. Everyone is standing in 113 anyway so I didnt really notice people squeezing by to go the jax or bar.  

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:58am
I was in 116, was a bit of a mixed bag atmosphere wise but luckily didn't have any bother with people in and out for pints or anything, just a couple lads went maybe 10 mins before half time but everyone was there early so didn't miss anything. 

I don't mind the kids holding up signs and that craic, it's the older teenagers and adults that need to have a look at themselves LOL

Quite a few were absolutely trolleyed and plenty event junkies about the place but it's always the same with those matches against top teams

Wasn't the best atmosphere I've experienced but here, was great to be back in packed Lansdowne again and I thought the place was gonna lift off when Pepe got his red. 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:58am

Not an enjoyable night 

that is f**kin disgraceful

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm a big fan of the seat pints. It's gets everyone out of the concourse early and fills out the ground. I had 2 pints in the stadium and was able to enjoy them. Everyone is standing in 113 anyway so I didnt really notice people squeezing by to go the jax or bar.  

Did the opposite around us! Loads of empty seats at kick off 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I like it too! Was able to grab quick pints on the way back from the toilets about 30mins into the game! Had aisle seats in 114 so worked well.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:11am
What were they serving last night?

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:16am
I have to mirror what some of the other lads here are saying. My aul fella nearly got into a fight with a group of sauced lads who came in 15 minutes late. In fairness there were people in their seats but they stood right in front of us for ages. Angry

To our left there were about 6 young lads who looked like they had never been to a game of football before in their lives. They were constantly going back and forth to the bar during the game and it was driving me nuts. 

That's before we even get into the number of people around me who had Ronaldo scarfs and flags. Embarrassing. 

I'm glad this element, event junkies, don't come to the majority of our games 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:36am
Decent atmosphere alright, a very mixed crowd though as you say. The pints was both a blessing and a curse as you said was nice to enjoy you at your seat but there was a few around me in 105 who were in and out like they were at their local.

There was also a rather annoying booer behind me, who was playing the big man to those around him calling Ronaldo all the names under the sun. 

Also funnily despite him saying I go to all the games, I heard him say if we draw then do we need to beat Serbia on Sunday? (and just to be clear he wasn't talking about Portugal as he mentioned it a few times). 

Also hate to mention it but some lads lack of mask wearing and following basic Covid safety protocols too really makes you realise why case numbers are so high, I'd put good money on them being anti vaxxers. 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by drogcam drogcam wrote:

At the final whistle Ronaldo went to Bazunu to shake hands. It looked like Bazunu asked him for his shirt. He must be gutted the girl got it ahead of him LOL

Angry

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Rodneytrotter
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:00am
Really lovely gesture by Ronaldo - that girl was interviewd a while ago on Newstalk - her Dad got the fine for going onto the pitch she said . Think it was 1K fine 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Not an enjoyable night 

Wait, what? Why was there a homeless fella at the match? Also, how do you know he was homeless? He was hardly camped on the steps in a sleeping bag was he?

Posted By: doherty
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by drogcam drogcam wrote:

Angry

I can never understand players esp looking for a shirt of Ronaldo or the likes. Just don't get it really. Even if you got it big deal. Whats the point.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Really lovely gesture by Ronaldo - that girl was interviewd a while ago on Newstalk - her Dad got the fine for going onto the pitch she said . Think it was 1K fine 

Would've been a nice memento for Gavin to show his own children some day after telling them about how he played against the greatest player in the world (arguably).

Instead you have some random fan breaking the law and reinforcing bad behaviour to his child so he can grab his mitts on something he knows could be worth at least x5 times that fine someday in the future.

It's also sh*te behaviour in the context of the times we're living in with COVID and Ronaldo looked disgusted to have someone pawing at him like that. 

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the child. I just think it's sh*te parenting.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:07am

Not an enjoyable night 

Wait, what? Why was there a homeless fella at the match? Also, how do you know he was homeless? He was hardly camped on the steps in a sleeping bag was he?

LOL

-------------

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:09am
People arriving 30 mins late and finding people in their seats then the people who are in their seats waiting for a steward to come over as they didn't know where their own seats were. I was looking at a steward for about 5 mins as she was standing right in front of me as she tried to sort the seating out. Lucky there were a lot of kids and their dads where i was sitting so not too many going down to the bars every 2 mins like in the rows in front.

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:41am

Not an enjoyable night 

It was after the match, young lad in a group of four in ireland gear walking away from the stadium 

Weird thing to pick up on 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:47am
I was up in 516....people kicked us out of our seats before we realised they were in the wrong section and we moved em on..so that was hassle for the poor people behind us but what could we do?

No issue with people coming and going with pints.
I was happy to sip away at one pint each half, brought in before each half started so no movement during the 45s.

Thought the atmosphere was good and I give the team and how we played credit for that.
Overall, a great night.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:49am
I would have thought people that are used to going to games turn a blind eye to those around them and just enjoy the occasion and atmosphere for what it is. 

Life is too short to be worrying about how others act and behave. Enjoy life

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
Coming in and going out of the stadium there were a few rowdy type. Also massive smell of weed when leaving stadium down the steps from the upper, someone obviously lit up as soon as they got to the steps and smoked it on the way down, you just think "would they not just wait until they have left the stadium and get free from the crowd?". But obviously it's youngfellas where it's all about the bravado anyway and smoking the joint in the stadium makes him one cool mother f**ker

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:54am
Different behavior's in different parts of the ground rightly or wrongly  , I think people need to use their heads on this if you want to sit there uninterrupted west stand lower is the place to go and likewise if your on the sauce SSL is the place to go .

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Posted By: PaulMcGrath5
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:55am
Was in 120 and I didn't notice anyone with Ronaldo scarves or flags. Saw one woman with a "can i have your shirt sign" which i presume she had for her kid. I was lucky in my section as there are defo a few eejits that crawl out for these big games

I enjoyed the atmosphere, a good performance by Ireland, we are defo going places now. 

Had 1 pint before the game which I brought in had enjoyed sipping through the 1st half. Fair play to the all in the SS , the tifos looked class

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I would have thought people that are used to going to games turn a blind eye to those around them and just enjoy the occasion and atmosphere for what it is. 

Hard to enjoy it and ignore it when you're up every few minutes, lads blocking your view every few minutes, lads beside us blocking us for a full two mins trying to sort seats out, fight going on in front of you etc 

Posted By: Pinginí
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Was absolutely dreadful where I was. Upper 505,close to the entrance

People coming in 20 mins late, wandering around, blocking everyone's view. And constant streams of people getting drink. It was awful annoying to be fair 
I was in 505 too and had a similar experience. Had lads up and down for pints very 5 minutes and the lads in front of us were hammered. They stood up, literally every time we got the ball in their half like we were about to score. Couldn't relax and enjoy it.

Group were trying to do "Messi" chants every time Ronaldo got the ball.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:02pm
Lad in his 40/50’s in front of me with a vuvuzela.

Lads getting up for drink then going to toilet because of drink.

Was great to see lot of kids but then there was group of lads behind them roaring expletives at Ronaldo and others which wasn’t on at all and I don’t know how parents of kids didn’t bash them

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:06pm

Hard to enjoy it and ignore it when you're up every few minutes, lads blocking your view every few minutes, lads beside us blocking us for a full two mins trying to sort seats out, fight going on in front of you etc 
I understand that but it’s part and parcel of big events. We know if we go to Baku or somewhere off course we won’t get that but we know the next time there’s a big game here we’ll have the same as what you’re describing. Same at next big away match. 

It’s not surprising but we all have the option of going or not. If someone doesn’t enjoy going to these matches, don’t go. Not sure where you sit but I would guess there are areas of the stadium you could help avoid it. 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:14pm

I understand that but it’s part and parcel of big events. We know if we go to Baku or somewhere off course we won’t get that but we know the next time there’s a big game here we’ll have the same as what you’re describing. Same at next big away match. 

It’s not surprising but we all have the option of going or not. If someone doesn’t enjoy going to these matches, don’t go. Not sure where you sit but I would guess there are areas of the stadium you could help avoid it. 

I've been to 65 football games there! There was never anything like I experienced last night in those games, I've purposefully moved to a supposedly quieter section of the ground years ago, never any hassle, last night was the first time

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:34pm
Some amount of Helen Lovejoys out there (Rory O'Connor's tweet brought this to mind) complaining about people booing Ronaldo. The crowd should absolutely make the atmosphere as hostile (and in fairness, how hostile is a match in Dublin going to be) for any world class players playing there. 

Comparisons with England fans are nonsensical. Their anthem was respected, but that doesn't mean Ronaldo should have the red carpet rolled out for him.

These people should just head off to the rugby tomorrow and applaud the Haka if that's the atmosphere they want.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:35pm

I've been to 65 football games there! There was never anything like I experienced last night in those games, I've purposefully moved to a supposedly quieter section of the ground years ago, never any hassle, last night was the first time

Fair enough - that’s your experience. For what it’s worth, I only recently started going to homes again, all in the singing section and enjoyable with like minded fans. I hated going back 7-8 years ago when Delaney upped the security on the south stand and you had in-fighting between fans over the prick. Much better atmosphere these days.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Some amount of Helen Lovejoys out there (Rory O'Connor's tweet brought this to mind) complaining about people booing Ronaldo. The crowd should absolutely make the atmosphere as hostile (and in fairness, how hostile is a match in Dublin going to be) for any world class players playing there. 

Comparisons with England fans are nonsensical. Their anthem was respected, but that doesn't mean Ronaldo should have the red carpet rolled out for him.

These people should just head off to the rugby tomorrow and applaud the Haka if that's the atmosphere they want.

Absolutely. Having a pantomime villain is part of the fun of being at football. Respect the anthem, applaud the taking of the knee, boo an individual. Big smile

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:42pm

ClapClapClap well said

He got applauded for giving the shirt to the young one after the game as well. What do people want from a home crowd like LOL

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

Absolutely. Having a pantomime villain is part of the fun of being at football. Respect the anthem, applaud the taking of the knee, boo an individual. Big smile

Which is what he or any other world class player playing at Lansdowne are. He's been booed all over the world, I hardly think one game in Dublin is going to particularly hurt him.

There's plenty of reasons for him to be booed, the goals he scored in Faro being just one.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: limerick lad
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm
I was in section 102 and a fair few event junkies around alright. Myself and my friend arrived about 30 mins before kick off and were just standing up having a chat in our seats when the fella behind us asked us to sit down because he wanted to see. What did he want to see like? A few players doing some sprints and stretches before a gameLOL I overheard him later in the game talking about his property portfolio to his mate so made more sense to me then.

Also some people just aimlessly abusing Ronaldo. I'm all for making it a hostile atmosphere but just giving him w**ker signs and calling him a c*unt every few minutes is stupid in my opinion.

-------------
just hit the fecking thing

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm

Not an enjoyable night 

LOL

LOL

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm
3 fellas behind me in 507 Row B, wouldnt shut the fcuk up all game, talking about anything but the game. 

I look forward to when the Season Ticket sales open up next month so I'll hopefully be back among what was a sound crowd in 2019 in the same area. 

The event junkies will hopefully be sat far away. Although there won't be many of those types at the Nations League homes I'd say. 

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:10pm

Coming in and going out of the stadium there were a few rowdy type. Also massive smell of weed when leaving stadium down the steps from the upper, someone obviously lit up as soon as they got to the steps and smoked it on the way down, you just think "would they not just wait until they have left the stadium and get free from the crowd?". But obviously it's youngfellas where it's all about the bravado anyway and smoking the joint in the stadium makes him one cool mother f**ker

Some adults smoking weed in 114 in front of their kids. 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Some adults smoking weed in 114 in front of their kids. 
There was thousands of adults drinking in front of their kids too

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm
Thought the atmosphere was decent but the lads walking in and out of 114 with pints was absolutely maddening. Can people not just have a few before and after? In with pints, out for a slash and repeat ad nausem. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:59pm

Would've been a nice memento for Gavin to show his own children some day after telling them about how he played against the greatest player in the world (arguably).

Instead you have some random fan breaking the law and reinforcing bad behaviour to his child so he can grab his mitts on something he knows could be worth at least x5 times that fine someday in the future.

It's also sh*te behaviour in the context of the times we're living in with COVID and Ronaldo looked disgusted to have someone pawing at him like that. 

Oh would you go off, give your head a wobble and support oaps bowls, bingo or whatever.

If you can’t see what that was lastnight, you’re seriously not a football supporter. Fair play to that young girl and fair play to ronaldo, stuff of dreams 

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
It was terrible Joe! They were drinking pints and enjoying themselves Joe! 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:12pm
Joe Duffy is the Howard Stern of Irish radio.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:03pm
Ryan Tubridy glorifying that youngone on RTE, nobody saying anything about her breaking the law? If it was a 30 year old fella that ran on the pitch he’d have been all over the papers today and he’d have been reading about it on his way home after being left out of the cells this morning.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:54am

Ryan Tubridy glorifying that youngone on RTE, nobody saying anything about her breaking the law? If it was a 30 year old fella that ran on the pitch he’d have been all over the papers today and he’d have been reading about it on his way home after being left out of the cells this morning.
would you grow up you snowflake. These are professional footballers, I am sure they can take the terrible physical punishment of a 6 year old hugging them Confused

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

would you grow up you snowflake. These are professional footballers, I am sure they can take the terrible physical punishment of a 6 year old hugging them Confused

He's also a professional athlete who presumably doesn't want people pawing at him while we're all in the middle of a pandemic. Look at it from the macro perspective. He could have a vulnerable family member who is particularly prone to the virus. Nobody knows a stranger's personal situation; so just be a good human and assume the worst.

And child or no child, it's terrible manners. She's 13 and her family is involved in football circles. She's not 5 years old. She should know better - or more importantly, her father should know better.

-------------

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:51am
the Fai will get a five figure fine for the incursions money they can’t afford.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:02pm

Well put

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:00pm
There was 2 or 3 other kids who followed after that girl, did they also get a 3k fine?

I also see the FAI quashed the 3k fine to the parents of Addison Whelan. 

I wonder will this now become a regular occurrence during games Ireland games? 

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Decent atmosphere alright, a very mixed crowd though as you say. The pints was both a blessing and a curse as you said was nice to enjoy you at your seat but there was a few around me in 105 who were in and out like they were at their local.

There was also a rather annoying booer behind me, who was playing the big man to those around him calling Ronaldo all the names under the sun. 

Also funnily despite him saying I go to all the games, I heard him say if we draw then do we need to beat Serbia on Sunday? (and just to be clear he wasn't talking about Portugal as he mentioned it a few times). 

Also hate to mention it but some lads lack of mask wearing and following basic Covid safety protocols too really makes you realise why case numbers are so high, I'd put good money on them being anti vaxxers.

If they're outside, masks are not required as the risk is negligible, so they're not worn. I wouldn't wear them either inside or outside as I'm fully vaccinated with 95% protection, so I trust it to do it's job. If it's still not good enough, then nothing else will help either. 

As regards the rest, if people are just attending Ireland games to drink the devils buttermilk under their seats, and/or to cheer for the opposition, they should not be there. No other nations fans turn up to games for any of those reasons, nor should we.

Nobody knows a stranger's personal situation; so just be a good human and assume the worst. 

That's not a good human, that's someone consumed by fear. That's what has us in the situation we're in. It's why we lost the hosting of the Euros. Everyone terrified of being around everyone else. The survival rate from the virus is over 97%, that was before we all got our vaccines.

It's dangerous to assume or suspect that someone has a medical issue, physical or otherwise, without proof. Its no way to live a normal life either. 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
Had great seats in the end as NR had spare seats beside him on the back wall in 114 .
Now there was was a couple in front of us who were smoking well something , look it was not dope but it was in a roll up and sparked quite a bit and a smell of piro about it . Mrs Claret said one of the lads was turning white .
Anyone with ideas what it was and where can i score it fromWink 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Had great seats in the end as NR had spare seats beside him on the back wall in 114 .
Now there was was a couple in front of us who were smoking well something , look it was not dope but it was in a roll up and sparked quite a bit and a smell of piro about it . Mrs Claret said one of the lads was turning white .
Anyone with ideas what it was and where can i score it fromWink 

Murph I think that was the smell from tge smoke flares that drifted - it was like the smell of cap guns 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

If they're outside, masks are not required as the risk is negligible, so they're not worn. I wouldn't wear them either inside or outside as I'm fully vaccinated with 95% protection, so I trust it to do it's job. If it's still not good enough, then nothing else will help either. 

As regards the rest, if people are just attending Ireland games to drink the devils buttermilk under their seats, and/or to cheer for the opposition, they should not be there. No other nations fans turn up to games for any of those reasons, nor should we.

Nobody knows a stranger's personal situation; so just be a good human and assume the worst. 

That's not a good human, that's someone consumed by fear. That's what has us in the situation we're in. It's why we lost the hosting of the Euros. Everyone terrified of being around everyone else. The survival rate from the virus is over 97%, that was before we all got our vaccines.

It's dangerous to assume or suspect that someone has a medical issue, physical or otherwise, without proof. Its no way to live a normal life either. 

Clown 

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Clown 

People being asked to wear masks in open air stadiums when we are one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, is the most stupid sh*t imaginable. It's the kind of policy that will lead to people not listening to the rest of your guidance because it's so stupid.

If people want to wear them though there's nothing stopping them and if they aren't then they shouldn't be vilified. The irish media have done some number on people over here. People are going to need to make up their own mind on what level of risk they are comfortable with.

The original posters theory that 'they must be anti-vaxxers' is quite telling given our vaccination rate is one of the best in the world and the amount of people who haven't been vaccinated is minute compared to elsewhere. But listen to the media and you'd swear there are millions of 'anti-vaxxers' walking around.

I've been to 6 matches in the UK this season across 3 different clubs and there hasn't been a mask worn in the whole stadium. I've been to Copenhagen 3 weeks ago (not at a match), no masks. They must be a different species in those countries. Maybe they are all 'anti-vaxxers' LOL LOL

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

People being asked to wear masks in open air stadiums when we are one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, is the most stupid sh*t imaginable. It's the kind of policy that will lead to people not listening to the rest of your guidance because it's so stupid.

If people want to wear them though there's nothing stopping them and if they aren't then they shouldn't be vilified. The irish media have done some number on people over here. People are going to need to make up their own mind on what level of risk they are comfortable with.

The original posters theory that 'they must be anti-vaxxers' is quite telling given our vaccination rate is one of the best in the world and the amount of people who haven't been vaccinated is minute compared to elsewhere. But listen to the media and you'd swear there are millions of 'anti-vaxxers' walking around.

I've been to 6 matches in the UK this season across 3 different clubs and there hasn't been a mask worn in the whole stadium. I've been to Copenhagen 3 weeks ago (not at a match), no masks. They must be a different species in those countries. Maybe they are all 'anti-vaxxers' LOL LOL

The USA UK and Brazil this year, with hundreds of thousands dead in those  nations, have all held F1 races this year, with hundreds of thousands more attending them with no masks and no social distancing in sight. The nation of India was been wiped out 6 months ago now they're back watching their cricket games at full capacity, with masks few and far between. That's called getting on with life, by living with the virus. 

With less than 10 deaths per day, we're told to wear them at outdoor stadiums, and preferably stay at home altogether as you never know, the national death toll might scale the heights of 11 per day. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:44pm

The USA UK and Brazil this year, with hundreds of thousands dead in those  nations, have all held F1 races this year, with hundreds of thousands more attending them with no masks and no social distancing in sight. The nation of India was been wiped out 6 months ago now they're back watching their cricket games at full capacity, with masks few and far between. That's called getting on with life, by living with the virus. 

With less than 10 deaths per day, we're told to wear them at outdoor stadiums, and preferably stay at home altogether as you never know, the national death toll might scale the heights of 11 per day. 
Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do. They have thousands killed in wars each year, thousands murdered, in Ireland someone is murdered and it's front page news for a week. I'm oay with not accepting people die unnecessarily.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do. They have thousands killed in wars each year, thousands murdered, in Ireland someone is murdered and it's front page news for a week. I'm oay with not accepting people die unnecessarily.
There is an "acceptable" level of death with all human activity though. Every time we hop in the car in the morning comes with acceptance that people will die because of this activity. It's the same with COVID, with the payoff being a normal open society.

We have gone off the deep end in this country on COVID I feel. We've had 4 capacity events at open air arenas since March 2020 and have essentially shut nightclubs down after 3 weeks when only vaccinated could use them anyway. Fast forward a few weeks from now and we'll likely be in another lockdown with events being in empty stadiums again. Only this time with 90%+ vaccinated.

I'm not saying we dive in like the UK has but our reaction to COVID as a nation is laughable.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

We have gone off the deep end in this country on COVID I feel. We've had 4 capacity events at open air arenas since March 2020 and have essentially shut nightclubs down after 3 weeks when only vaccinated could use them anyway. Fast forward a few weeks from now and we'll likely be in another lockdown with events being in empty stadiums again. Only this time with 90%+ vaccinated.

I'm not saying we dive in like the UK has but our reaction to COVID as a nation is laughable.

I see this opinion regularly.
It strikes me that those who voice it fail to look at how other nations have, and are, reacting to Covid.

Any objective view of how most European countries have and are handling Covid now will show you that our reaction has been far from laughable.

From the UK and Sweden's massive death-rates (compared to their neighbours), to Eastern Europe now med-evaccing pateints due to lack of ICU capacity, how anyone can say Ireland's reaction to Covid has been laughable is either willfully ignorant or plain old ignorant.

Also, our use of the work 'Lockdown' to us having to wear masks here and there or whatever is laughable compared to other places where it means 'do not leave your home or face arrest'.

Some measure of what is happening elsewhere goes a long way.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

It strikes me that those who voice it fail to look at how other nations have, and are, reacting to Covid.

Any objective view of how most European countries have and are handling Covid now will show you that our reaction has been far from laughable.

From the UK and Sweden's massive death-rates (compared to their neighbours), to Eastern Europe now med-evaccing pateints due to lack of ICU capacity, how anyone can say Ireland's reaction to Covid has been laughable is either willfully ignorant or plain old ignorant.

Also, our use of the work 'Lockdown' to us having to wear masks here and there or whatever is laughable compared to other places where it means 'do not leave your home or face arrest'.

Did you forget the part where we weren't allowed 5km from our house for a large chunk of the last two years? How people were being fined for going to the airport or walking on a beach alone?

Since when has lockdown meant wearing masks here and there in Ireland? The peak of our freedom last summer was €9 meal in a restaurant then back to an overpriced hotel by 11pm.

The hesitancy has been laughable and the government are changing rules on a weekly basis. We were having "test" events where people were in pens outside at the peak of summer 2021, when everybody else was beginning to ease. Now we're facing restrictions again after a month of relative easing. 

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm

Did you forget the part where we weren't allowed 5km from our house for a large chunk of the last two years? How people were being fined for going to the airport or walking on a beach alone?

Since when has lockdown meant wearing masks here and there in Ireland? The peak of our freedom last summer was €9 meal in a restaurant then back to an overpriced hotel by 11pm.

The hesitancy has been laughable and the government are changing rules on a weekly basis. We were having "test" events where people were in pens outside at the peak of summer 2021, when everybody else was beginning to ease. Now we're facing restrictions again after a month of relative easing. 

Nail on the head. Last to open, first to close. Welcome to Ireland Confused

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:41pm
Seriously, the 5km limit could be easily bypassed and as for people being fined, I'd say you could count on one hand how many that happened to.
And certainly wasn't for a large chunk of the last two years, first introduced in Oct '20 and gone ages now.

As for the meal-restrictions and whatnot, they are hardly comparable to 'locked at home' orders with police and soldiers on the streets.

Our lockdowns were mild enough when you see wehat happened for residents of Northern Italy not allowed on the street at all for weeks on end, and then you go to Aisa where there were military-enforced curfews.

As for your last point, we are in a changing situation so of course our rules are changing to adapt to that - anyone with a scientific background can easily understand that as new info becomes available, new methods can be embraced, sometimes contradictory to what went before.
This is what should happen, and we have done it very well.

Look, some rules are nonsense and we haven't been percfect - far from it, but nobody has.

As for this:
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Just go read up as to how Eastern Europe are doing...

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:18pm

Seriously, the 5km limit could be easily bypassed and as for people being fined, I'd say you could count on one hand how many that happened to.
And certainly wasn't for a large chunk of the last two years, first introduced in Oct '20 and gone ages now.

As for the meal-restrictions and whatnot, they are hardly comparable to 'locked at home' orders with police and soldiers on the streets.

Our lockdowns were mild enough when you see wehat happened for residents of Northern Italy not allowed on the street at all for weeks on end, and then you go to Aisa where there were military-enforced curfews.

As for your last point, we are in a changing situation so of course our rules are changing to adapt to that - anyone with a scientific background can easily understand that as new info becomes available, new methods can be embraced, sometimes contradictory to what went before.
This is what should happen, and we have done it very well.

Look, some rules are nonsense and we haven't been percfect - far from it, but nobody has.

As for this:
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Just go read up as to how Eastern Europe are doing...

Up to July there were 22k covid fines issued. You must have one very big hand

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
I see it pretty simply. This is a highly contagious disease with the potential for serious illness. I don't want to get sick. And I don't want to unwittingly pass the disease on to someone else if I'm asymptomatic. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend. Big deal.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:44pm

Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do.

No country accepts death. They just deal with it in different ways. The brits are not panicking with 100-200+ deaths per day. We have shut the entire country down over just a handful of that number per week, and will probably do so again. It's complete and utter hysteria, over a virus with a very low fatality rate before vaccination, and an even lower one after it. 

I see it pretty simply. This is a highly contagious disease with the potential for serious illness. I don't want to get sick. And I don't want to unwittingly pass the disease on to someone else if I'm asymptomatic. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend.

I see it pretty simply as well. If you're that worried about transmission sitting outside in the freezing cold with minimal risk, then you would be better off watching the games at home. Nobody wants to get sick, but risk is part of everyday life. There's nothing we can do but accept it and get on with it. 

We've seen across the water that spikes are short term, and stabilise again within days. The English are now treating it like a mass flu outbreak. Unless we follow suit, we're never going to be able to cope with it. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Up to July there were 22k covid fines issued. You must have one very big hand

Haha, OK, fair enough on that point.
Even with that, bar for a few weeks early on in the 5km limit, we have not been too sorely restricted in ways many others have been.

We're lucky, in many regards.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:59pm

No country accepts death. They just deal with it in different ways. The brits are not panicking with 100-200+ deaths per day. We have shut the entire country down over just a handful of that number per week, and will probably do so again. It's complete and utter hysteria, over a virus with a very low fatality rate before vaccination, and an even lower one after it. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend.

I see it pretty simply as well. If you're that worried about transmission sitting outside in the freezing cold with minimal risk, then you would be better off watching the games at home. Nobody wants to get sick, but risk is part of everyday life. There's nothing we can do but accept it and get on with it. 

We've seen across the water that spikes are short term, and stabilise again within days. The English are now treating it like a mass flu outbreak. Unless we follow suit, we're never going to be able to cope with it. 

The UK

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:27am

I'm minimising my risk (and yours) while still 'accepting it and getting on with it'. Lots of people say 'sure you could get run over by a bus tomorrow'. Well that's why you look each way before you cross the road.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:46am

There hasn't been less than 30,000 new cases in a single day in the UK since September. That spike should stabilise any day now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net