Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57999
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 2:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kenny's nailed on starters?
Posted By: Artie Ziff
Subject: Kenny's nailed on starters?
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:57pm
Previously you'd be doing well to pick half his team and even now it's a very tough call. But it's looking more like he has a group of 16 that will be playing and subbing on

If Kenny had every single player available who would be definitely starting for him? Only 6 for me

1Bazunu
2Egan
3Duffy 
4Cullen
5Hendrick
6Robinson 

After those 6 it's hard to know 100% if Kenny would put Omobamidele in ahead of O'Shea?
Coleman and Doherty might be picked on the right and the other left out? 
Would McLean or Egan be prefered on the left?
McGrath should definitely start for me, but again that's a hard one to call as he might prefer Hourihane (I hope not). 
Idah was a starter but I'm not sure now 

Parrott/Connolly/Ogbene/Browne/Collins -(Horgan I feel has drifted out to the fringes

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Replies:
Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:59pm
Would like to see Sammon back in the fold

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:01pm
Egan has to be a nailed on starter for Kenny. Himself and Duffy rotate as captains when Coleman is out.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

After those 6 it's hard to know 100% if Kenny would put Omobamidele in ahead of O'Shea?

Was thinking this yesterday. O'Shea hadn't done anything wrong in the games he's played for us, but that injury has come at a perfect time for Omobamidele. He's been great in the games he's come in for.
I take it O'Shea will still be out for the November games but probably should be back for the March friendlies.
Be unfortunate for Omo if he's not playing for Norwich and dropped for Ireland.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:05pm
Coleman
McGrath moving forward (imo)

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:07pm
I think, assuming O'Shea remains out and everybody else reports fit and well, then the starting XI for the Portugal game practically picks itself?
Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That starting XI looks pretty nailed on to me for the Portugal game at least, but might be subject to change vs weaker opposition, where you might gamble without the solidity of Mc Grath as one of the front 3 in the 3-4-2-1.

The main issue between now and then is game time for Doherty, Omobamidele, Hendrick and Idah.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:21pm
                     Bazunu
  Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Coleman/Doherty.             Doherty/??
            Hendrick/??  Cullen
                     ???? 
                ???    Robinson

We have a senior spine now of Robinson Cullen Duffy. They are the first 3 on the teamsheet cast iron. All young too by there own standards. Bazunu first choice but all it takes is one mistake and Kelleher could be in. 

For me Doherty is on the left Coleman on the right but it's not cast iron to an extent. Omobamidele and Egan are first choice until O'Shea comes back certainly. Attacking midfield McGrath just about for me from Knight. You can play either and you could play Knight where Hendrick is. Up front Idah and Robinson for me although Idah isn't cast iron. 

Team for Portugal is Bazunu Coleman Omobamidele Duffy Egan Doherty Hendrick Cullen Mcgrath Idah Robinson. That picks itself. Bar Duffy Cullen Robinson I don't think anyones place is infallible mind. I love Bazunu but even him as stated one mistake and Kelleher could be back in. If Portugal scores that penalty Kelleher is potentially in. It's a lot finer margins then people say.

Posted By: gally
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:00pm
Robinson will start in the middle of the 3 up top. Idah on the bench, McGrath oozes class and will play, I would try Connolly on the left and McGrath on the right, Doherty and Coleman on the wingback positions, Omobamidele will start in usual place, Collins and O Shea look very strong options at the back also, team for me against Portugal.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy    Egan
  Coleman    Cullen      Hendrick    Doherty
            McGrath        Connolly
                        Robinson

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:20pm
My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Coleman Cullen Hendrick Doherty
Knight Robinson
Idah

Would like to see Knight play deeper at some point but even I think Hendrick deserves his spot right now. Think he would do well as the all action role McGrath played but ultimately I think Knight is the better player with a higher ceiling so I'd have him start. I'd say Kenny will be loyal to McGrath though.

I'm not convinced by Idah yet lack of football is hurting him but he's probably physically our most natural no9 due to his pace, size and technical ability. Though if he continues to not play I do expect Parrott to take that role sooner or later as be is looking much stronger and quicker.

Egan and Duffy are nailed on but between O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins we have some excellent young CB prospects. We desperately need some wingback prospects Doc and Coleman are great but they aren't getting any younger.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
Norwich have 4 games between now and the next ireland games, if idah doesn't feature in any of them can we really justify having him start based on an OK 20mins vs Portugal? He's been pretty poor all other games in my opinion and id go as far as saying ogbene is the better option.

I'm singling idah out a bit here as he just doesn't have a club career to speak of yet, whereas hourihane might not play between now and Portugal he's played 100s of club games. 

I'm pretty sure idah has started more senior ireland games than he has league games for Norwich. (Not to include Cup completions as they are not always seen as must win games)

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Norwich have 4 games between now and the next ireland games, if idah doesn't feature in any of them can we really justify having him start based on an OK 20mins vs Portugal? He's been pretty poor all other games in my opinion and id go as far as saying ogbene is the better option.

I'm singling idah out a bit here as he just doesn't have a club career to speak of yet, whereas hourihane might not play between now and Portugal he's played 100s of club games. 

I'm pretty sure idah has started more senior ireland games than he has league games for Norwich. (Not to include Cup completions as they are not always seen as must win games)

There's a reason why Idah at 20 is on the fringes of ft football at a PL club and Ogbene at 24 is still in L1. I dont agree with your view at all. Doherty, Hendrick and Omobamidele are all in the same boat as Idah, all are lacking ft minutes. Imo we need an actual 9 vs Portugal (maybe not vs Luxembourg), our best bet is Idah imo. I could maybe understand an argument for James Collins starting there if he plays a lot and scores a few in the interim, but not Ogbene, purely from a tactical view point. Each to their own, but I'd stick with Idah and I think your "based on an OK 20 mins vs Portugal" is unfair in the extreme.

As for Hourihane, I dont know why he's being brought up here, he shouldnt be near the first team in any game where we dont envisage dominating possession and certainly not one where we are likely to spend the majority of the game without the ball. No chance he starts vs Portugal unless we are decimated with injuries.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Robinson will start in the middle of the 3 up top. Idah on the bench, McGrath oozes class and will play, I would try Connolly on the left and McGrath on the right, Doherty and Coleman on the wingback positions, Omobamidele will start in usual place, Collins and O Shea look very strong options at the back also, team for me against Portugal.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy    Egan
  Coleman    Cullen      Hendrick    Doherty
            McGrath        Connolly
                        Robinson

I'm a big fan of Connolly's but its hard to see him coming in from the cold after not getting game time over the last two. Maybe if he is playing and scoring for Brighton it's a possibility and unlike others I think he did ok in the previous game vs Portugal, where he could easily have been the hero and clinched the points/winning peno if he wasn't blatantly shoved in the back by Cancelo for what was imo a nailed on pen. He combined well with Doherty down the lhs in the first half of that game also.

I do think he'll stick with Idah up top though, he played him half fit vs Azerbaijan cos he wanted a physical presence up there and he clearly doesnt trust the likes of Collins, Keane and Parrott to do that just yet. Against Qatar we expected to dominate possession, so we didnt really need the out ball that Idah provides, we will vs Portugal. If we look to Chelsea who many think are now the blueprint for our 3-4-2-1 then Idah appears to be our preferred Lukaku. 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

Would like to see Knight play deeper at some point but even I think Hendrick deserves his spot right now. Think he would do well as the all action role McGrath played but ultimately I think Knight is the better player with a higher ceiling so I'd have him start. I'd say Kenny will be loyal to McGrath though.

I'm not convinced by Idah yet lack of football is hurting him but he's probably physically our most natural no9 due to his pace, size and technical ability. Though if he continues to not play I do expect Parrott to take that role sooner or later as be is looking much stronger and quicker.

Egan and Duffy are nailed on but between O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins we have some excellent young CB prospects. We desperately need some wingback prospects Doc and Coleman are great but they aren't getting any younger.

I'm a fan of Knight also, I just think Mc Grath has done really well. Knight would be my preferred choice to come in if any of Cullen/Hendrick/Mc Grath are out through injury and first off the bench if we need legs in midfield at any point. I'm still unsure at just 20 if he has the tactical discipline yet to play in a midfield two.

Dont agree that Parrott is either quicker or stronger than Idah. Idah wasnt fully fit vs Azerbaijan.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

I'm a fan of Knight also, I just think Mc Grath has done really well. Knight would be my preferred choice to come in if any of Cullen/Hendrick/Mc Grath are out through injury and first off the bench if we need legs in midfield at any point. I'm still unsure at just 20 if he has the tactical discipline yet to play in a midfield two.

Dont agree that Parrott is either quicker or stronger than Idah. Idah wasnt fully fit vs Azerbaijan.

Knight was really unlucky with that injury I reckon he would of played a lot of minutes. He is a cracking little player so much energy and gets in the right places to be a goal threat. I'd agree he's not quite a fit for a midfield two yet, in a few years maybe 

I meant Parrott looks quicker and stronger than he used to. I wasn't comparing him to Idah in that sense.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

Knight was really unlucky with that injury I reckon he would of played a lot of minutes. He is a cracking little player so much energy and gets in the right places to be a goal threat. I'd agree he's not quite a fit for a midfield two yet, in a few years maybe 

I meant Parrott looks quicker and stronger than he used to. I wasn't comparing him to Idah in that sense.

Ah ok, I agree with that, Troy definitely seems to have come on a bit since last season, which is great to see, he is progressing nicely but is still a bit behind Adam in terms of his development imo. I wouldnt rule out Troy ultimately surpassing Idah, but that's not a given by any means, it's very hard to judge what level they will both end up at, but I'd be surprised if they don't at least manage decent Championship careers, hopefully better.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:33pm

I think, assuming O'Shea remains out and everybody else reports fit and well, then the starting XI for the Portugal game practically picks itself?
Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That starting XI looks pretty nailed on to me for the Portugal game at least, but might be subject to change vs weaker opposition, where you might gamble without the solidity of Mc Grath as one of the front 3 in the 3-4-2-1.

The main issue between now and then is game time for Doherty, Omobamidele, Hendrick and Idah.

Agreed, if they are all fit and available then that is the team for Portugal IMO. I would say Idah, Hendrick and McGraths roles are most up for grabs but with no more friendlies until 2022 I think they are in possession of the jersey if available.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm
Nailed on starters:

Bazunu
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Robinson
Idah

I think the other spots are up for grabs. I dont particularly think Idah should be a Nailed on starter but Kenny likes him and is his 1st choice in almost every game. After these 7 which is the spine of the team going forward I see it like this for the other positions:

Coleman/Doherty
O'Shea/Andrew Omo
Stevens/McClean
McGrath/Knight

For me our best eleven in a 3-4-2-1 formation is:

Bazunu

O'Shea
Duffy
Egan

Doherty
Cullen
Hendrick
Stevens

Robinson
Knight

Idah

If Robinson can push on to be our main man, offering a real goal threat we can become a different proposition. I would love Idah to push on but he needs a loan move in January. His development will only be stunted sitting on the Norwich bench. Every footballer will tell you there is no substitute for games.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm

Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That's who I'd like to see start. Injuries aside I bet there will be 2-3 changes from it though 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:27pm

There's a reason why Idah at 20 is on the fringes of ft football at a PL club and Ogbene at 24 is still in L1. I dont agree with your view at all. Doherty, Hendrick and Omobamidele are all in the same boat as Idah, all are lacking ft minutes. Imo we need an actual 9 vs Portugal (maybe not vs Luxembourg), our best bet is Idah imo. I could maybe understand an argument for James Collins starting there if he plays a lot and scores a few in the interim, but not Ogbene, purely from a tactical view point. Each to their own, but I'd stick with Idah and I think your "based on an OK 20 mins vs Portugal" is unfair in the extreme.

As for Hourihane, I dont know why he's being brought up here, he shouldnt be near the first team in any game where we dont envisage dominating possession and certainly not one where we are likely to spend the majority of the game without the ball. No chance he starts vs Portugal unless we are decimated with injuries.
[/QUOTE]

Idah hasn't done anything in football yet. My comparison was that at least hourihane has 100s of games under his belt and a good few assists and goals to boot. Idah has nothing just potential. 

I dont think hourihane should be included for that matter but I can see why he would, I can't see that with idah.

In the last world cup  internationals idah has 

Portugal 90mins
Azerbaijan  90mins
Serbia 80 muns 
Azerbaijan 60 mins

I watched the game he played vs Liverpool B team in the Cup for Norwich... he was poor. 

He has 5 substitute premier league appearances this year totalling 37mins 

Personally I don't think he should be in the starting 11 until he starts playing football at club level. He's not going to do that this season in the premier league.

Parrot has 64mins total in the same games listed and plays week in week out. I appreciate a a lower level but still playing, he also has 2 senior goals in the friendly vs Andorra and a motm from that game too.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm

Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

Yes for me I'd agree as well. That's the best 11. Not sure Kenny will switch Doherty over to the left, he may go with McClean and have to choose between Coleman and Doherty.
Also, the other shout for me is Idah. He did play well away to Portugal, he's more of a central striker than the other options (Robinson/Ogbene/Connolll=y). Robinson is better floating around and McGrath has been super as the link guy between midfield and attack.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:33pm
Could jack byrne, Brady, mcCarthy, browne and molumby come back into the squad if they got their club situations sorted

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:07pm

Idah hasn't done anything in football yet. My comparison was that at least hourihane has 100s of games under his belt and a good few assists and goals to boot. Idah has nothing just potential. 

I dont think hourihane should be included for that matter but I can see why he would, I can't see that with idah.

Portugal 90mins
Azerbaijan  90mins
Serbia 80 muns 
Azerbaijan 60 mins

I watched the game he played vs Liverpool B team in the Cup for Norwich... he was poor. 

Personally I don't think he should be in the starting 11 until he starts playing football at club level. He's not going to do that this season in the premier league.

Parrot has 64mins total in the same games listed and plays week in week out. I appreciate a a lower level but still playing, he also has 2 senior goals in the friendly vs Andorra and a motm from that game too.
[/QUOTE] 

Idah lacks regular experience alright and you'd love him to have a season playing regularly for a League 1 club even like Parrott is doing. 

Was looking at Robinsons stats as a youngfella his 14/15 season he was the same age as Parrott playing in League 1 now on loan at Preston. He got 7 goals and 4 assists in 28 games for them. 3 of those goals were against the mighty Havant and Waterlooville. 

Parrott already has 3 goals and 4 assists in 10 games this season. Idah last year got 3 goals and an assist in 16 and most of them limited appearances off the bench at Championship level at their age. There's every reason to believe they will both be at least as good if not better then Robinson is at 26 in 6/7 years time when they reach that age. Regardless of who's better now if they both achieve that I'd be delighted personally as Robinson has the potential to be a PL attacker. 

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:33am
Bazunu; DOS/Omobamidele, Duffy, Egan; Coleman, Cullen, Hendrick, Doherty/Stevens; McGrath

and then it gets interesting. he really likes idah, so could be mcgrath idah robinson. honestly i think for portugal specifically i wouldnt mind ogbene or even knight, and then robinson playing the role he did against qatar

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:48am
Possible potential recency bias here but does any one else think that Omobamidele has looked more assured than O'Shea did previously? It could be as a result of the team doing better overall in the last few games.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:28am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Possible potential recency bias here but does any one else think that Omobamidele has looked more assured than O'Shea did previously? It could be as a result of the team doing better overall in the last few games.

Tricky one. As you say, recency bias and the opposition need to be taken into account. Omobamidele looked great against Qatar and Serbia. He looks a serious prospect. 

The thing for me is that I think he might have a higher ceiling than O'Shea but I don't know if he has looked more assured than O'Shea did. 

We are accumulating options in the back 3. It feels like there will come a natural point in the next few years where our 3 centre halves (assuming it is still a 3) are Omobamidele, O'Shea and Collins. I'm taking into account the age of Duffy and Egan and the potential of that trio. And it won't be for a few years either-  Duffy and Egan have plenty left in them. Similar to the goalkeepers coming at once, it feels like those 3 guys have all come at once for us. 

An interesting little thought I has there was contrasting how O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins have eased into senior football with the challenges that our trio of young forwards have encountered (Connolly, Idah and Parrott). Plenty nuances involved in that contrast but the trajectory for the defenders seems to have gone in the right direction consistently at senior level for their clubs, to the extent that I wouldn't wish a move on any of them as it wouldn't be necessary to their development. That doesn't look the case for Connolly and Idah and Parrott has already racked up a few clubs with things finally looking to be heading in the right direction for him. 

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:08am
I love the fact that there are only 5 or 6 nailed on starters. It is great to now have some options and not be so predictable in how we will line up.

A few people have listed their preferred starting XI and I'd be happy with most, if not all. I'd imagine this is the youngest average age team we've ever had at senior level and it's credit to Kenny that he has brought through the likes of Omobamidele and Collins rather than Keogh and Kevin Long.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:15am

Portugal 90mins
Azerbaijan  90mins
Serbia 80 muns 
Azerbaijan 60 mins

[/QUOTE]

Jesus, we get it, you dont like Idah. Just to provide some perspective here. Idah was widely considered Ireland's best player vs Portugal and when Parrott got his chance vs Azerbaijan at home, he barely touched the ball in the first half and was hooked on 50 odd minutes in a performance at least as bad if not worse than Horgan's first half display vs the same opposition. Kenny played a half fit Idah away to Azerbaijan as he wanted a target man on the pitch, Parrott got a few minutes, looked sharp, then fluffed his lines when confronted with a very presentable chance. I like Troy, so I'm not going to diss the lad at all, he's doing good this season after a poor season last time around. He seems to be progressing well although I don't tune in to MK Dons games regularly. If you are suggesting that Parrott should lead the line ahead of Idah vs Portugal in our next competitive international, then I'll have some of what youre smoking.

If the coaching team see the need to play a target man vs Portugal, which I think they will, then it will be Idah. There is perhaps an argument that if they think tactically they dont need that out ball that Idah provides, he could go with Robinson as a 9 (not his best position), supported by Mc Grath/Knight and Ogbene/Connolly. It's not likely vs Portugal, but possible vs Luxembourg imo. Parrott wont be starting either game barring injuries imo, he's not ready, but thankfully he looks like he's getting there.

As for the Liverpool B game as you insist on calling it, he was playing against 2 top quality CBs in Gomez and Konate. It was also Norwich's B team and they were outplayed for much of the game. He didnt have a great game, but I also watched it and Omobamidele was at least as bad if not worse than Idah. 

Omobamidele, Doherty, Connolly and Hendrick are also all struggling for minutes at their respective clubs, so it's not unique to Idah either. Idah is very close to the first team at Norwich, a team that isnt scoring goals and he is getting regular minutes off the bench. I wouldnt rule out his breaking in to the team at some point and any injury to either Pukki or Sargent will probably see him starting also.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

Yes for me I'd agree as well. That's the best 11. Not sure Kenny will switch Doherty over to the left, he may go with McClean and have to choose between Coleman and Doherty.
Also, the other shout for me is Idah. He did play well away to Portugal, he's more of a central striker than the other options (Robinson/Ogbene/Connolll=y). Robinson is better floating around and McGrath has been super as the link guy between midfield and attack.

He likes Mc Clean and he played will for him vs Azerbaijan, but I dont see him starting vs Portugal (Luxembourg is more likely imo). Even if one of Doherty or Coleman are out, I could see Stevens getting the Portugal game, purely because he is a defender by trade.

Idah's selction will depend on how the coaching staff want to set up tactically, but if they want a target man on the pitch, I think it will be him, supported by Robinson in a free role with Mc Grath (or maybe Knight) as the link man.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Tricky one. As you say, recency bias and the opposition need to be taken into account. Omobamidele looked great against Qatar and Serbia. He looks a serious prospect. 

The thing for me is that I think he might have a higher ceiling than O'Shea but I don't know if he has looked more assured than O'Shea did. 

We are accumulating options in the back 3. It feels like there will come a natural point in the next few years where our 3 centre halves (assuming it is still a 3) are Omobamidele, O'Shea and Collins. I'm taking into account the age of Duffy and Egan and the potential of that trio. And it won't be for a few years either-  Duffy and Egan have plenty left in them. Similar to the goalkeepers coming at once, it feels like those 3 guys have all come at once for us. 

An interesting little thought I has there was contrasting how O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins have eased into senior football with the challenges that our trio of young forwards have encountered (Connolly, Idah and Parrott). Plenty nuances involved in that contrast but the trajectory for the defenders seems to have gone in the right direction consistently at senior level for their clubs, to the extent that I wouldn't wish a move on any of them as it wouldn't be necessary to their development. That doesn't look the case for Connolly and Idah and Parrott has already racked up a few clubs with things finally looking to be heading in the right direction for him. 

Well everybody keeps banging on about Idah not getting ft football, surely Omabamidele is in the same boat? What happens if Nathan Collins starts the next 4 for Burnley and Andrew doesnt get a sniff?

O'Shea, who is older than the others at 22 established himself in the WBA team a couple of seasons ago and endured a longish spell coming off the bench before doing so. Omobamidele and N. Collins are in pretty much the same position as he was and as Connolly and Idah are and this is borne out by their respective senior minutes played this season. All 4 are on the fringes of the first team, but they all look to be relying on an injury to get that big first team chance.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:59am

I think oshea will be our best player, I think omobamidele and collins will be premier league regulars along with oshea sooner rather than later but oshea will be our stand out player.

Hes technically excellent and reads the game like mcgrath. All in all I think the trio will be a mouthwatering future defensive line.

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:13am

I think oshea will be our best player, I think omobamidele and collins will be premier league regulars along with oshea sooner rather than later but oshea will be our stand out player.

Hes technically excellent and reads the game like mcgrath. All in all I think the trio will be a mouthwatering future defensive line.

Could O'SHEA do the McGrath holding midfield role?

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Could O'SHEA do the McGrath holding midfield role?

OK to be clear, there's only ever going to be one paul mcgrath, there won't be another. But I think oshea will be a class player.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:49am
I'm not convinced by the whole trying to stick a centre back in midfield thing. Everyone points to McGrath but he really was a one off, also he was playing in a system at the time where we pretty much bypassed midfield anyway, so he was almost like an extra centre back who had a bit more licence to go further forward.

I think suggesting sticking Omobamidele or O'Shea in midfield is an underestimation of what it takes to be an international midfielder to be honest. Cullen is great, Hendrick is doing better and we have a few good possibilities coming through, at least one of them should make the grade, I think we just need to be patient on that one for now.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Could jack byrne, Brady, mcCarthy, browne and molumby come back into the squad if they got their club situations sorted

Whatever about the others, I think we've moved on from Byrne now. Where would you even play him in the 3-4-2-1? Presumably in the McGrath/Knight role but I don't think his all round game is as good as theirs in terms of what that position requires when we don't have the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him in an Ireland shirt again being honest. 

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm not convinced by the whole trying to stick a centre back in midfield thing. Everyone points to McGrath but he really was a one off, also he was playing in a system at the time where we pretty much bypassed midfield anyway, so he was almost like an extra centre back who had a bit more licence to go further forward.

I think suggesting sticking Omobamidele or O'Shea in midfield is an underestimation of what it takes to be an international midfielder to be honest. Cullen is great, Hendrick is doing better and we have a few good possibilities coming through, at least one of them should make the grade, I think we just need to be patient on that one for now.

Agreed, suggestions that young centre backs making their way in the game can magically be transformed in to ball playing CDMs are fanciful in the extreme.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Whatever about the others, I think we've moved on from Byrne now. Where would you even play him in the 3-4-2-1? Presumably in the McGrath/Knight role but I don't think his all round game is as good as theirs in terms of what that position requires when we don't have the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him in an Ireland shirt again being honest. 

Also agreed, with the caveat that he is only 25 and clearly has talent, whatever about application and durability. Wes wasnt pulling up trees at 25. The next move is very important for the lad as far as his international career is concerned. While a move to the MLS might be appealing to him, I'm not sure it would benefit his international career. Wouldnt write him off entirely, but it's a long shot at this point.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
Idah, like a lot of other players, has huge potential. 

He struggled badly against Azer, but was excellent in Faro. He was sick in the lead up to Azer game so maybe we can take that into account. his touch and physicality (for a big lad) was terrible. 

In Faro there was lots of space in the channels and he used his pace really well and relieved a lot of pressure on us. That type of game may suit him until he sorts his touch out.....ie. plenty of space in behind.

Far from a lost cause though. I remember Quinn when he started, he had a first touch like Father Jack at PE!

Games will definitely improve how he uses his body in contact and also improve his touch. Dropping down a level would certainly be a benefit.

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Idah, like a lot of other players, has huge potential. 

He struggled badly against Azer, but was excellent in Faro. He was sick in the lead up to Azer game so maybe we can take that into account. his touch and physicality (for a big lad) was terrible. 

In Faro there was lots of space in the channels and he used his pace really well and relieved a lot of pressure on us. That type of game may suit him until he sorts his touch out.....ie. plenty of space in behind.

Far from a lost cause though. I remember Quinn when he started, he had a first touch like Father Jack at PE!

Games will definitely improve how he uses his body in contact and also improve his touch. Dropping down a level would certainly be a benefit.

I 100% agree, he's far from the finished article, what 20yo target man is? The question is - is he the best target man currently available to the coaching staff and I think the answer to that is a resounding yes. James Collins could maybe do a job there, but he lacks Idah's pace, which as you say is an important facet to Idah's game (the ability to run the channels as well as hold the ball up and compete in the air) and pace is rare enough in players with his physicality. He's learning on the job so to speak, but I don't see a better option to play that role in or around the current set up. Parrott may well emerge as a genuine contender for that spot, but I think he has a way to go yet, while Keane, who might possibly have been called up to allow management have a look at him in that role missed out on that chance this time around and I cant see him being handed a debut in either of the remaining competitive internationals.

I also don't think he is as far away from first team football in the PL as some suggest, given he is being used regularly from the bench. 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
Nailed on:
Duffy, Egan, Coleman, Doherty, Cullen, Robinson.

Borderline:
Stevens, Hendrick, McGrath, Browne, Ogbene.

GKs:
If Randolph had been fit & playing at a good level he would probably still be our no.1, & this time last year we were wondering what we would do without him. But now we have 4 good options.
Bazunu has been great since he came in, but if Kelleher gets a few games for Liverpool between now & the Portugal/Lux games then I think it'd be pretty difficult to argue Bazunu should keep the jersey.

RCB:
O'Shea, Omobamidele & N.Collins battling it out for the spot next to Duffy & Egan.
With O'Shea out injured, Andy or Nathan play next month & it's probably down to which of them plays more at club level.
Norwich have 4 PL games between now & the international break, but Burnely have 4 PL games + an EFL Cup game & it looks like Collins is getting the Man City game tomorrow, so that's at least 2 for Collins... We'll have to wait & see if Omobamidele gets a game.

WB:
Coleman & Doherty nailed on I think, but Coleman is very injury prone at this point, & likely won't be available for every game in a window. Stevens starts if Coleman isn't available. Manning & McClean back ups at LWB, Ogbene & Christie other options at RWB.

CM(2):
Cullen nailed on. His partner for now seems like it'll Hendrick, but that could change quickly if he isn't playing & say Molumby gets a run for WBA he could push in.
Back up is a problem, McCarthy & Arter are injury prone & have had to drop down levels to get games, Hourihane isn't the most mobile or comfortable on the ball, all pushing 31/32 now.
I'd like to see Manning tried alongside Cullen in a friendly, he played the bulk of 3 seasons at CM for QPR, he's quick & technically very good.

10s:
McGrath looks very close to being the main guy here, but a fully fit Browne is also a contender along with Ogbene, Knight, Connolly & Horgan. Robinson also would start here if someone else is playing the 9. I think Byrne & Brady will also return & compete for a spot, so we actually look pretty good here.

9s:
Robinson is the main man here, even if it's a false 9. I think Ogbene has pushed Idah down the pecking order, Ogbene does the hold up play, runs the channels gets crosses in, but then also gets himself into goal scoring positions & actually scored (which Idah hasn't done).
I don't think Collins has the mobility or hold up play to be much use outside the minnows where we can park him in/around the opposition box, pushing 31, & with Parrott & Idah coming through I don't think he'll be around much longer.

All in all I think we're looking a good bit stronger than we were at the start of the year. CM is still very light on good options though, if Cullen is out injured we'll notice.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net