Players who should be in the squad?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57968
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Players who should be in the squad?
Posted By: oldbilly
Subject: Players who should be in the squad?
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:13pm
Graham Carey. I remember thinking when we had this lad on loan from Celtic in 08 this fellas going places, just never thought he’d be going as far!! Still amazed he didn’t do better in the fairly meh Scots league but he’s scoring goals in European competition, has to be worth a squad place?

-------------
No Pasaran!

Replies:
Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Graham Carey. I remember thinking when we had this lad on loan from Celtic in 08 this fellas going places, just never thought he’d be going as far!! Still amazed he didn’t do better in the fairly meh Scots league but he’s scoring goals in European competition, has to be worth a squad place?

Probably ability wise and he takes a mean set piece, sweet left foot, but he's 32 now, 35 when the 2024 Euros kick off. Personally I'd prefer to see a young lad get a chance even if he's not quite at Carey's level just yet. We need to build for the future - Smallbone, Doyle-Hayes, Kilkenny, Ronan.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
Joel Bagan should be capped before he jumps ship.

Nathan Redmond should be made an offer he cant refuse.

The boys should be sent around to convince young Bradley at Liverpool before he gets his 3 caps for themmuns Smile

Rory Delap's youngfella - his name is Liam for christs sake!

Obafemi needs 2 more caps I think

Seriously though!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:29am
Conor Sammon

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Conor Sammon

Sean Dundee

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:48am

Wes

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:53am
32 year old Man scores one goal in a 5-1 defeat and gets a thread started about how he should be in the squad. The lad could be absolutely toilet in most games he plays. We see one clip of him and suddenly he should be in the squad.

Irish football ladies and gentleman Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:55am
Exactly LOL

This forum Clap

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:31am
Kieran Sadlier 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:34pm
We've had 6 players in the championship play 90 mins today 

Darragh Lenihan and Ryan Manning were two of them and Lenihan captained the team I believe. Might be worth giving them a little more time on the pitch in green seeing as they are more consistent than most 

The other 4 were - 

Mark Travers
John Egan
Richard Keogh
Michael Obafemi

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Darragh Lenihan and Ryan Manning were two of them and Lenihan captained the team I believe. Might be worth giving them a little more time on the pitch in green seeing as they are more consistent than most 

The other 4 were - 

Mark Travers
John Egan
Richard Keogh
Michael Obafemi

Travers with a clean sheet. Has he turned a corner? Fingers crossed. 

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The other 4 were - 

Mark Travers
John Egan
Richard Keogh
Michael Obafemi

Travers with a clean sheet. Has he turned a corner? Fingers crossed. 

Yeah, he's building up a collection of clean sheets of late. He's getting his chance at Bournemouth and he's grabbing it with both hands (excuse the pu)

Getting carried away a bit here but we could have a starting premier league goalkeeper next year and likely that Travers could be the one over Bazunu and Kelleher.  It'll give Kenny a good headache.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:32pm
It would be a Traversty if Scott Parker dropped him now when he's in this kind of form.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:34pm
Yes, he's been making his Mark.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:36pm
Well he's off the mark with clean sheets and traverses his goal area very well 

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 7:45pm
I have huge sympathy for Kenny in that he's caught between that rock of having to basically build an entire new squad as the players born 1997 or earlier aren't good enough/plentiful enough and the hard place of you can't throw a load of U23 year olds together at once you need experience. 

I do however believe we need fresh blood in midfield which is why I'm happy Taylor and Doyle Hayes started and played well again today for their respective clubs. Coventry came off the bench also and is getting regular minutes too. Peterborough are important for us going forward. Taylor is a bit of a poster boy at Peterborough and will be instrumental to them establishing themselves in the Championship and beyond. He has had a few hamstring injuries recently so I just pray that doesn't happen again! 

Knight also returning from injury. Obviously October will be too soon for the likes of Smallbone and Noss but hopefully they will get some appearances under their belt soon and who knows present themselves as senior options before this season is out!!

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:12pm
Derrick Williams possibly for left back? 

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:29pm
Not while Jack Connors of Barnet is still available ( former under-21 star ).

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 12:13am
Andy Reid

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 12:31am
[QUOTE=Stickittotheman]Derrick Williams possibly for left back? [/QUOTE

Isn't he in the states now? Shocking standard of football, would rather stick with Doherty or Manning. How are Obafemi and Maguire doing in the championship?]

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:05pm
I have mentioned it once or twenty times on this forum about how I was hoping for some of our younger midfielders to step forward. It's a position we are woeful light in and many of our better senior options or quite frankly not good enough have reached their limited ceiling or are past it. 

Kilkenny for Bournemouth Molumby really making a stamp on the West Brom starting 11 Taylor playing well with Peterborough finally getting their act together and Coventry getting regular Championship minutes in his first season playing men's football all positives. 

Not to mention Knight who you would take for granted at 20yo and even young Hondermarck getting minutes for Barnsley. Doyle Hayes is doing well at Hibs and Tierney reputed to be signing for Motherwell it's all really promising stuff.

It's really taken off in the last few weeks or so. Your leaving out Johansson at Sittard who hasn't quite taken off Noss who's nearly but not quite getting Senior minutes for Gladbach (not being in Europe has cost him this I think) and Smallbone who I hope gets his first senior action in the Cup next week.

With a view to the senior team Knight/Molumby will be selected and I really do hope one of Kilkenny or Taylor gets in. Kenny has name checked Taylor so it may well be him but Kilkenny is getting into a side with miles better CM options then we even possess to be quite frank he has to be looked at strongly also as far as a squad place is concerned. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net